• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

pj

No Why <> Know Why

This is a spinoff from Howie's Abstract thread in the Artist's corner. I'm not going to go into why it spun off from there.

I have spent months now trying to observe my inner dialog. Years, really, as several years ago I made a decision about the way I was going to choose to look at life. That decision was a simple choice to be happy.

Oh, the cacophony of objections that followed! My inner voice SCREAMED in protest. It loudly reminded me of a litany of problems and obstacles to happiness. After prolonged effort, it finally quieted down. An amazing thing happened then - I was happy. I remain happy.

So what remains of the inner dialog? A great deal, of course. It no longer has the luxury of complaining about much - at least not for very long, because I redirect it whenever that happens. The favorite topic for my ceaseless inner dialog has since become answering the question "why."

Why did I enjoy that movie or song? Why was that meal so good? Why did I feel such anxiety during that performance? Why do I struggle so to make changes in my life? Why do I collect everything under the sun? Why is my country seemingly coming apart at the seams? Why do my children likely face a more difficult life than I have lived? Why why why????

Why do I ask why? Why is it important to understand everything?

The answer to that question is that IT ISN'T. In fact, an analysis of some things destroys the magic. Why love? Why beauty? Why awe? Why life?

Is it possible to spend a period of time very deliberately not asking why?

That is my new year's resolution. I am trying to refuse my inner dialog the luxury of asking why and then proceeding into analysis.

I don't yet know if it is possible or healthy. I do recognize that why is sometimes the key to not repeating mistakes. I plan on addressing this simply by not repeating actions that result in undesirable consequences rather than indulging in an analysis.

That also means I'm not going to be giving much advice so long as I can maintain this effort. That will bring a sigh of relief from a lot of people. I give too much advice.

In the end, I want to experience life for what it is. I don't think we can do that while engaged in analytical reason... and I have isolated the linchpin of analytical reason in those areas I wish to banish it from as the desire to know why.

My response, for now, is NO WHY.
      On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.
      --Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Raised and raised by Eligos
      Dream Journal
      The Fine Print: Unless otherwise stated, the views expressed are MINE.

Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      DJ Entries
      I have an intersting notion from what you said here of your inner dialogue. It could be synonomous with "No Why".

How about castrating words(or language) from ones inner dialogue?

Many years ago , when I was a teenager or before, I had a dream, and when I awoke there was a clear and present notion, that being "thought without words".

Without words or language to compose with in the inner dialogue, there is no "why". There is only what is, as it is. Undefined feelings, non judgemental experience.
      Last edited by NonDualistic; 01-07-2008 at 03:21 AM.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by NonDualistic View Post
      Without words or language to compose with in the inner dialogue, there is no "why". There is only what is, as it is. Undefined feelings, non judgemental experience.
      That is exactly where all this trying to go.

What is the point of meditation? The way I practice it, it is an effort to temporary silence that inner voice. I don't know that I can really live that way all the time, at least not yet. Constraining it in steps seems to be effective, and periods of meditation are certainly refreshing and enlightening. It requires profound effort and discipline to pull it off even for short periods for me.

I've heard it said that our inner voice defines and then sustains our world. So what would really happen if there was no inner voice?

That's a question I am allowed to ask.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

Undisclosed location
      Awesome post pj. I can say I am at a state in my mind that must be similar to yours. I question most everything.
      You have posted very well how feeling does not have to take conscious action or thought. But it is a fight. I hope like most things, it will become easier.
      I have found that reading some books, particularly by Echart tolle, several of his readings. also, "Loving What Is", by Byron Katie or Awareness by Anthony Demello.

As they have all been helpful, I can read it until I am blue in the face. Until I am ready to let go of the ego, or the conceptual thought process, I will be stuck here -solid, asking; know why. Why?

Are we conditioned to think in this world? Forgetting that consciousness itself flows without regard to our thoughts our perceptions and input?

Keep us up to speed on your resolution. I have decided to join you.

Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
      What is the point of meditation? The way I practice it, it is an effort to temporary silence that inner voice. I don't know that I can really live that way all the time, at least not yet. Constraining it in steps seems to be effective, and periods of meditation are certainly refreshing and enlightening. It requires profound effort and discipline to pull it off even for short periods for me.
      Effort is a human concept it would seem. I feel effortlessness is the key. Where is the real effort? Is it in the contemplation of words and language , or in the simple letting go of such?

I can seemingly easily drop language and go into such a wordless meditative state in any given moment, even while doing things I normally do each day, and have been able to for a long time. However, I must admit, I dont very often at all, as I apparently have not relinquished my grasp on all the distractions around me that give rise to thoughts intertwined with language and words. Such is my apparent grasp on ignorance.
      Your post here has just now served to re-aquaint me with this practice and also helped give usefulness and purpose to/for it.

This whole week is just too weird. Sychronicity seems to be arising everywhere in my experience.....

I've heard it said that our inner voice defines and then sustains our world. So what would really happen if there was no inner voice?

That's a question I am allowed to ask.
      Yes, but does that "inner voice", or "inner consciousness" as I choose to label such, need human language to do so?

It would seem to me that such a conceptual need is something born of the "outer" consciousness, the "human" consciousness.The inner consciousness doesnt seem to use language to communicate, it uses imagery and metaphor based on imagery. At least this is the exerience I have. Language in the form of words seems to be something tied distinctly to the outer or our human consciousness.
      Last edited by NonDualistic; 01-07-2008 at 03:49 AM.

In a pot.
      That's a great decision.

I've noticed that I spend a lot of my time thinking about the future or asking why about the past. I'd most likely be happier if I would just live my life in the present.

What would happen without an inner voice? What remains after you throw it out... pure consciousness I guess, "the soul". It's a worthy goal
      C:\Documents and Settings\Akul\My Documents\My Pictures\Sig.gif

Pj, it seems that what you are talking about would be such a part of someone's nature that it would be really hard to change.

I guess people who accept things as they are rather than questioning them are probably more at peace. However they may not be as satisfied, ultimately.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
      Pj, it seems that what you are talking about would be such a part of someone's nature that it would be really hard to change.

I guess people who accept things as they are rather than questioning them are probably more at peace. However they may not be as satisfied, ultimately.
      Perhaps.

In answer to both observations, I intend to find out.

What is satisfaction, ultimately, if not peace?

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

What is satisfaction, ultimately, if not peace?
      Good point.

DJ Entries
      The confusion comes from duality of choice.

Why or no why.

Mindless choice? Why oh why didn't i take the blue pill.
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by ClouD View Post
      The confusion comes from duality of choice.

Why or no why.

Mindless choice? Why oh why didn't i take the blue pill.
      Does the suspension of causal analysis really equal mindlessness?

Is the enjoyment of a symphony or a kiss mindless? Both seem to engage my mind quite fully.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

DJ Entries
      Do you let the emotion take you?

Or is it the enjoyment with analysing the material content of the music?

A bit of both, perhaps?
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by ClouD View Post
      Do you let the emotion take you?

Or is it the enjoyment with analysing the material content of the music?

A bit of both, perhaps?
      You are asking why, of course. I really can't answer your question.

I can reply with a question and a statement. Not answer, but reply.

Are emotion and reason the only elements of consciousness?

I find more once the two dominant experiences/responses are set aside or quieted.

I believe all of us experience more. It's very easy to miss though, and it seems to get easier as we get older.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

Undisclosed location
      Does the suspension of causal analysis really equal mindlessness?

Is the enjoyment of a symphony or a kiss mindless? Both seem to engage my mind quite fully.

The problem, at least for me is it is not some thing that i can turn on and off. As I am so engrossed with the everyday process of analytical decision making, I find that it becomes the nature of my the business -life. Even though I do not want it this way.
      I find that for me to become still, mindless (note MINDless) it sometimes takes days. I feel my creative side and that I favor experience more.

Maybe, like you mentioned, it is something that, with practice is achievable.
      Damn responsibilities.

pj
      Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post

Maybe, like you mentioned, it is something that, with practice is achievable.
      Damn responsibilities.
      I really believe it IS achievable, Howie. I've already achieved something very similar.

And it is going well so far. It does require vigilance right now, but so does the breaking of any habit.

And this IS a habit. It is an inappropriate and unconscious repetition of a behavior.

--Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Dream Journal

Undisclosed location
      I really believe it IS achievable, Howie. I've already achieved something very similar.

And it is going well so far. It does require vigilance right now, but so does the breaking of any habit.

And this IS a habit. It is an inappropriate and unconscious repetition of a behavior.

Maybe because it is becoming so common place in our society that we do not even recognize this as a behavior. It is to where we accept this.