• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Thread: Incense & Lds

Midwest USA
      My first LD experience was when I was sleeping in a room where incense was burning and I was wondering if that helps? I was my first and only LD that I am 100% sure of, the rest of my dreams are crazy vivid and abundant, but oh how I would love to have another. Was wondering if anyone has noticed this or knows if it helps induce a LD or not.

(look, I turned the purple off....happy dear? lol )
      Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. ~William Dement

I was wondering the same.....I have one called moon dreams (yes I am aware they just name them stuff like that )

I've experiment with other kinds of scent, without much luck. Try it again; and let us know.

Midwest USA
      Quote Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
      I've experiment with other kinds of scent, without much luck. Try it again; and let us know.[/b]

Will try tonight and see if it helps. Now...the real question is Musk, Strawberries, Coconut or Florals? Hmmm....
      Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. ~William Dement

I believe Neuroplasticity dreamship's Avatar
      I have something to say on this. I have incense also. Sandalwood is my favorite and Jasmine also. At any rate, the thing I wanted to say is I have some of the sticks just in the holder and every so often I'll notice a scent and I perk up and it is if my brain goes 'mmmm, whats that?' I think that this is what caused you to be lucid. Your brain got activated or 'perked up' for lack of a better word. It was made aware of something new in the environment.

I don't have a quote but they say scent is connected with memory very strongly. And I can relate to you an experience I had:

I become aware that I am dreaming and I am sitting on my bed. I have a stereo that I do not really own in reality and I play a world music song that does exsist in reality on it. I start dancing with my eyes closed, yet I can still see-very weird that-, and then I open my eyes and see a grotesk skull with half rotting flesh on its face, huge teeth, and a hat of some kind looking at me close up to my face. I scream and push it away and instantly wake up. The image is so strong and violent that I could still see it if I closed my eyes for a good few minutes after. I then realized that the skeleton resembled my dead grandfather and the blanket I was under, due to my funky water, smelled like his home used to smell and I at once understood this dream to have been generated by that smell.

The only drawback I see to this method is that once your used to sleeping in a room with that scent or any scent you might not notice it as much.

I'm gonna put a stick near my bed and see if it helps but I am also gonna listen to LaBerge's dream induction cassette also.

Banned
      I don't know if it helps, I have never tried it. However, if you have any questions on incense, I'm your guy. I buy a crap load of incense every time there's a fair where I can buy it. I currently have the following flavors; coconut, rasberry, strawberry, banana, grape, pineapple, and some others. My absolute favorite type of incense is called "Nag Champa". That stuff is the s**t (pardon my french). What kind do you have Purple?

Midwest USA
      Quote Originally Posted by dreamship View Post
      Your brain got activated or 'perked up' for lack of a better word. It was made aware of something new in the environment.

The only drawback I see to this method is that once your used to sleeping in a room with that scent or any scent you might not notice it as much.[/b]
      Okay, first thing... that dream with the skeleton and the flesh.. YIKES! Sounds very scarey, especially after you realize it resembles someone you know. And, I think you might be very right about the scent dipping me into an LD, because I had one last night!!! My 2nd LD, and yes I burned incense which is what I think enabled it. I need to try other techniques so I don't have to rely on scent to make it happen and like you said, risk it becoming an immunity in the future.

I don't know if it helps, I have never tried it. However, if you have any questions on incense, I'm your guy.

What kind do you have Purple?[/b]
      Ha! Purple! It would be appropriate wouldn't it, if I had something Purple? Oddly enough, I don't! I know, someone call someone and get this injustice fixed ASAP. Grape sounds purple? Is it? I have coconut, strawberry, Jasmine and Musk. Musk is what I burned the first time I had an LD and last night I burned it again and sure enough... my 2nd LD!

I will post this 2nd LD in my Dream Journal if anyone is interested. Thanks!

MD aka Purple!!

p.s. Turned on the color in this reply.. just for you!

Just as a side note of some interest I noted my favorite incense was Sandalwood and I read reciently in a book on Buddhism that Sandalwood is used to highten the mind and concentration. Did not know that before.

The incense Nag Champa is mostly a high consentration of Sandalwood and some other stuff or I guess you could also get it in just plain Sandalwood 'flavor'. I am gonna try some. Haven't before I don't think.

Also, just as a friendly thing don't buy Tulasi brand incense. It is my favorite and I love the smell, BUT I have bought from three sellers and each time I have discovered wads of hair in the plastic sleeve surrounding the incense I had asked myself several times why it was so hard to buy because hardly anyone sold that brand. Now I think I know why. If you see it at a store or something don't buy that brand. I wouldn't want you to get sick.

Midwest USA
      Also, just as a friendly thing don't buy Tulasi brand incense. It is my favorite and I love the smell, BUT I have bought from three sellers and each time I have discovered wads of hair in the plastic sleeve surrounding the incense I had asked myself several times why it was so hard to buy because hardly anyone sold that brand. Now I think I know why. If you see it at a store or something don't buy that brand. I wouldn't want you to get sick.[/b]

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up on that. I will also try that "flavour", Sandalwood, thanks!

Australia
      Although I haven't tried incense, I have had a vanilla smelling candle burning at night. It didn't make my dreams more vivid but I remembered more and they were crazy dreams. As in absolutely nutty dreams! I shall report back after trying some sandalwood incense. Sometimes I end up with a headache after smelling incense so shall try it with a well ventilated room first.
      Starting from scratch

Banned

^Best stuff ever! ^ Nag Champa "Super Hit"

I have tried many types of incense, and this stuff is by far my favorite.

Midwest USA
      Ohhh... I will keep a lookout for that! If I can't find it here, can I find it in San Fran? I will be there briefly in June. Perhaps I can order it online if I don't find it and cannot wait til then!! Thanks so much!

And yes, when I burn incense I have my window opened slightly. Not enough to miss out on the scents, but enough so smoke doesn't roll out my bedroom door halfway through the stick!! Hehehee...

I think you'd be better NOT being asleep while your candle or incense is 'on'. Have you no common sense?

Banned
      I think you'd be better NOT being asleep while your candle or incense is 'on'. Have you no common sense?

[/b]
      That's why people buy those little cases for them, so they don't catch anything on fire. Which would also be extremely unlikley considering it is not an open flame but simply an ember.

Australia

Yup, thats why they sell those candle cases! They sort of look like lanterns and they hold your candle.. Even if the lantern gets knocked over the candle wick gets put out by the dripping wax. They're fantastic!
      Starting from scratch

Well, I hope you all stay safe that's all I'm saying. I think the smell of the incense stays in the room good enough to just douse, sp?, it instead of having it on or you could have a stick beside your bed, unlit of course, and could notice the smell during sleep that way. I tried a dab of scented oil on a hanky once and that seemed to be good in that periodically I'd notice the scent as I lay there.

And Nag Champa makes oils, candles, soaps, perfumes and such.

http://www.nagchampa.com

They sell Nag Champa at the healthfood store, I'll try some since I read online that it is mostly Sandalwood and comes in different scents.

Here is not specifically defined
      I tried a experiment with incense. I would always burn nag champa while playing civ IV on my computer and then I put it away for about two weeks. and then set it by my bed and when I woke up that night I lit the incense and fell back to sleep to see if I would dream about the Civ IV game and boy I did dream about the game pretty hard core.

I make my own incense from juniper leaf and sage that pick from the local flora in my area. I've tried using it to influence my dreams but the only time I got noticeable effect was with the nag champa and the Civ IV game.

I suppose someone could use this technique to induce a dream sighn scenario...hum.
      Reality is only one moment away form right now is reality. Check... Dream Sign... Engage Lucid Dreaming!

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltho
      http://www.taltho.com
      tlatho.com Coming soon with pic's of me and family.

Midwest USA

[/b]

Thanks so much for my safety! But I am safe when I burn things and no I never go to bed with an open flame either. I have young kids, so having anything hot or dangerous is always in the forefront of my mind.

Ohhh.. someone grab the fire extinguisher! Heheehe.. just kidding!

Thanks for that recommendation of Nag Champa, definately going to try that!

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV

I don't think the actual smell doe's anything for your dreams.
      But I often put on relaxing music, then burn one, And read a good fiction novel.
      This put's me in the right mind set. And this definitely without doubt,
      help's me become Lucid much more often.

It's the mind set, not the incense.

Midwest USA
      I love your muffin. (Why does that sound dirty?)

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV

ha thank's

Midwest USA
      You're welcome... muffin.

SKA
      Here, Now
      thought of this before, but never tried to strongly focus my attention on the smell of the burning incense.

But to do this properly you need a strong scent all around your room all night. You could use incense but then use a vase or something and light up at least 10 sticks.

You can also try vaporising scented oils in a therefor specially made dish under which you place a small candle and in which you drop a bit of oil.
      Luminous Spacious Dream Masters That Holographically Communicate
      among other teachers taught me

not to overestimate the Value of our Concrete Knowledge;"Common sense"/Rationality,
      for doing so would make us Blind for the unimaginable, unparalleled Capacity of and Wisdom contained within our Felt Knowledge;Subconscious Intuition.

Banned