• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries

Flying While Lucid

So I need a bit of help...

I fly a lot when I'm lucid. I often fly a lot when I'm not as well. Whether or not I'm lucid, I'm afraid to fly higher than telephone poles. I get the same overwhelming feeling in each form of dreaming that if I go higher than a telephone pole, I'll fly too high and get sucked into outter space. I truly freak out in my dreams. Its a very scary feeling for me, and I don't want to feel that way anymore.

I read dreams about people flying into outter space and it sounds like an amazing experience.

I want to overcome my fear of heights, so to speak, in my dreams.
      It is my own personal task to fly into outter space and then allow myself to free-fall back to earth. But I don't know how to go about getting over my fear.

Has anyone had similar problems? How have you gone about conquering your fear? If you haven't had a similar problem, do you have any suggestions?

Banned
      this may not have to do with flying, but usually when I have a fear that I want to get over, I just dont think about it. I just do it. I try not to think of when or how I'm going to do it, I just think "okay... now!" and I get to it. It works for me because then I dont have time to talk myself out of it or even start getting scared. It might not work for everyone, but it's a suggestion.

bro
      WILD student
      Near to New York
      There's really not all that much I can reccomend because you already know dreams occur in your own head.

Are you afraid of heights in real life? if so, dreams can be a fantastic time to just mess around with no real harm coming to you, that alone should help it feel more like a "practice run" rather than a place you have to follow your phobias that exist during the day.

If not, then it should't be all that hard to convince yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of.

I've had some similar fear...well, not quite, but it seems that although some of our rational thought is there, we still can't help but be afraid...holding us back.

You may want to try visualizing one of these lucids where you're afraid to fly higher than, like you said, telephone pole height. Just take a few moments during the day (or evening), whenever you get free time, lay down somewhere and see it happen...just for the hell of it, imagine flying high...it must still be thrilling in some way. As much harm that comes to you while laying in bed or wherever, visualizing flying in an LD, is as much that will happen in the dream itself...0

Oh, another thing that may help you, since it seems you can fly, but are just fearful is imagining a kind of platform beneath you. Imagine your sitting on a platform postioned on a large arm, it can go as high as you like or as low, and you need not feel any fear...

I wish you luck with your goals...and well...courage- You can be an astronaut as well as an oneironaut...

Cheerio
      Brothers & Sisters in Dreams

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      lagunagirl-- i find it hard not to think about it which is why im asking for advice. but i do appreciate your input.

bro-- i am afraid of heights in real life, but only when im not strapped into something (i.e., roller coaster, airplane). as long as there's something around me or i'm in something, it doesn't bother me. but looking off the top of a mountain or even leaning on a railing on the second floor of a building (it makes me feel like it'll break and i'll fall and die).

You can be an astronaut as well as an oneironaut
      you always make me smile

thanks for your advice. you know i always appreciate everything you say to me.

Alexandria, VA
      Telephone wires dictating the maximum flight height is mentioned in EWLD. Apparently, it's fairly common! I believe TwoShadows had mentioned it happening to her as well.

I have a smiliar restriction, but not always. I tend to be able to get about 50 feet up, and just get "stuck" on a glass ceiling. At least it's some progress for me. It used to be that I couldn't stay aloft at all... everything was more like a big slow-motion jump that could carry me about a block or so.

My Music
      The Ear Is Always Correct - thoughts on music composition
      What Sky Saw - a lucid dreaming journal

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      Why don't you just fly somewhere where there aren't any telephone wires?

Or maybe get on a plane and jump out of it.

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by skysaw View Post
      Telephone wires dictating the maximum flight height is mentioned in EWLD. Apparently, it's fairly common! I believe TwoShadows had mentioned it happening to her as well.

I have a smiliar restriction, but not always. I tend to be able to get about 50 feet up, and just get "stuck" on a glass ceiling. At least it's some progress for me. It used to be that I couldn't stay aloft at all... everything was more like a big slow-motion jump that could carry me about a block or so.
      Wow, really? I actually feel a lot better now that I know it's common. I'll have to take a look at what that thread states. Maybe that could give me some answers. Maybe there's a meaning to it that I'm not seeing. I couldn't imagine TS not being able to fly that high, all of her dreams she flies or falls backward in, she's up really high. A glass ceiling? Do you think there's a meaning to that which you don't see?

Edit: Just read the acronym list and saw that EWLD is a book. Silly me. I'll just google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes Tarrant View Post
      Why don't you just fly somewhere where there aren't any telephone wires?

Or maybe get on a plane and jump out of it.
      If I get lucid any time soon, I'll try relocating to an area with telephone wires. I don't think I'd be able to jump out of a plane. What I really want to do is freefall from space like you have before.
      Last edited by meggyfayephotography; 09-13-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Alexandria, VA
      I found the passage in EWLD:

If you think you are dreaming, push off the ground and see if you can float into the air. If you are indoors, after you fly around the room, look for a window. Go out the window and strive for altitude. Curiously, more than a few dreamers (most likely city dwellers) have reported that they sometimes find an obstacle in the form of electrical power lines that seem to prevent their passage. Some of these oneironauts report a surge of energy, often accompanied by a burst of light, when they fly through the "power" lines.

- Stephen LaBerge
      So power lines, instead of telephone lines. Very similar imagery, though.

My Music

In one of the few lucids that i've had (a long time ago and by accident, mind you), I was running away from some cops and jumped as if I was leaping from a trampoline and went straight up into space...

Try using a trampoline lol see what happens

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
      In one of the few lucids that i've had (a long time ago and by accident, mind you), I was running away from some cops and jumped as if I was leaping from a trampoline and went straight up into space...

Try using a trampoline lol see what happens
      Hehe sounds fun! I want to try that now too!!

Skysaw-- I suppose some of the lines could be power lines as well. I do live in a city. I've lived in large cities all my life. But I've never gotten past the power lines so I've never experienced that surge of energy

Alexandria, VA
      Ok, this is weird...

Last night I had a lucid, and begin to slowly fly straigh upward. I was at the time thinking of the conversation here in this thread, and whattyaknow... POWER LINES!

I was worried I couldn't get past them, which is probably why I couldn't. I managed to reach out and touch one, and felt a tingly sensation in it. I tried to pull myself upward on it, but only managed a few feet before falling back to this "limit."

I blame you, Meggy! You made me worry about the power lines too much!

My Music

Sometimes I think that's the other side of this forum. People have problems and post about them. I read that and suddenly it comes back in my dreams.
      How I discover what my dreams are about

In my last lucid dream I made pink sparks between my palms. I was trying to make a white ball of energy...

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      Ok, this is weird...

Last night I had a lucid, and begin to slowly fly straigh upward. I was at the time thinking of the conversation here in this thread, and whattyaknow... POWER LINES!

I was worried I couldn't get past them, which is probably why I couldn't. I managed to reach out and touch one, and felt a tingly sensation in it. I tried to pull myself upward on it, but only managed a few feet before falling back to this "limit."

What?! ME???! How dare you! Haha I think it's actually really cool, that they were in your dreams. It's nice to know that I have that affect on people, bring up situations that make them think.

Alexandria, VA
      Quote Originally Posted by meggyfayephotography View Post
      Haha I think it's actually really cool, that they were in your dreams. It's nice to know that I have that affect on people, bring up situations that make them think.
      Help! I'm being oppressed!

Next time, I'll fly from the beach!

My Music

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      Help! I'm being oppressed!

Next time, I'll fly from the beach!
      Ooohh I love the beach! You'll have to tell me how that goes!!

eastern pennsylvania, usa
      Hey meggyfaye,
      How about bungee jumping UP? (Sparklebrite says hi --- urp.)

... Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      Who counts?
      Invisible Society
      If you're lucid, find a parachute and wear it. Then fly away. Getting sucked into space isnt that bad its happened to me. You think its going to burn but it doesnt and you can still breathe in space. That's if you actually stay asleep from the fear lol

If you cant get over the fear you gotta... JUST DO IT, NIKE!

why not...

find a building higher than a telegraph pole....open a window and check outside. start with ...maybe a low building..but just higher than a telegraph pole.

jump out the window and ffall down. dont fight gravity, but catch yourself just before the ground

keep repeating..but go a floor higher on the building.

and then as you get used to being pulled to the earth, not being pulled into space try flying out the windows and gently to the ground.

then try flying up the building and entering it from the top floor window.

Might work?

Quality LD's: 16

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      Those are really good ideas.

Bungee jumping up... I'd still be attached to the Earth, and what an interesting read that would be in my DJ. Tell Sparklebrite I say ello! Yes, I typed ello, not hello.

As for the parachute, I think I'd feel safe that way as well because I'd have the harness around me. For some reason, I think the harness of the parachute will give me a sense of security. Oh-- And I was never afraid of it burning until now, thanks!

Jumping out of a building and gradually getting higher, that's a good was as well because I'm phasing myself into it, not just plummeting from high up all at once. Maybe I can find a dream building that will just keep going up so high until I reach space, itself. Haha. That would be cool! But it would take forever. My dream would have to jump forward with that, or I'd have to be alseep for years. Lol.

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      So I need a bit of help...

I fly a lot when I'm lucid. I often fly a lot when I'm not as well. Whether or not I'm lucid, I'm afraid to fly higher than telephone poles. I get the same overwhelming feeling in each form of dreaming that if I go higher than a telephone pole, I'll fly too high and get sucked into outter space. I truly freak out in my dreams. Its a very scary feeling for me, and I don't want to feel that way anymore.

I read dreams about people flying into outter space and it sounds like an amazing experience.

I want to overcome my fear of heights, so to speak, in my dreams.
      It is my own personal task to fly into outter space and then allow myself to free-fall back to earth. But I don't know how to go about getting over my fear.

Has anyone had similar problems? How have you gone about conquering your fear? If you haven't had a similar problem, do you have any suggestions?
      My lucid self has a fear of large bodies of water i.e. the ocean. So you're not alone regarding dream fears. The best way to conquer fear is to CONQUER your fear. Incubate a dream in which you are on top of an extremely tall building and you are on the ledge getting ready to jump. Find it eclectic, and not fearful...nothing bad will happen.
      Things are not as they seem

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      So not too long ago, I had a lucid dream, or at least a fragment of the dream was lucid. I was, of course, flying. And the only part of the dream I remember was flying higher than the telephone wires. I was scared but I told myself that I was dreaming and I have no reason to be afraid. I even thought about flying up into space to see what would have happened, but in my dream I was in search of something and decided not to get off track. I think if I chose to fly into space, I would have remained lucid longer, and I would have been able to remember more of the dream. But I am surely proud of myself for finally beginning to overcome my fear of flying high.

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      You have to realize the truth... that there are no telephone wires.

Yeah, just been thinking about the Matrix ever since Neo was at the halloween party last night.

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      lol i've never seen the matrix, so if your comment about there being no telephone wires was from that movie... i'm totally lost hehe

Alexandria, VA
      So not too long ago, I had a lucid dream, or at least a fragment of the dream was lucid. I was, of course, flying. And the only part of the dream I remember was flying higher than the telephone wires.
      I recently dramatically broke through my dream "ceiling" as well. I just kept going and going straight up, flew to the sun and exploded!

My Music

Member Achievements:
      New Hampshire
      DJ Entries
      I recently dramatically broke through my dream "ceiling" as well. I just kept going and going straight up, flew to the sun and exploded!
      AHHH YOU EXPLODED??!!!!!

*doesn't want to fly high anymore*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast