• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Banned

Types of Induction *rant*

This is a rant, but can also be useful for newbies to understand how and why certain techniques work.

<rant>

Everyone keeps making up there own techniques to get lucid and giving them different acronyms which I find confusing. There are only TWO ways to induce a lucid dream, all others are simply variations.

DILDs
      WBTB - Puts lucid dreaming on your mind. Your dreams are composed of what is on your mind. Lucid dreaming is on your mind so you are more likely to do a reality check in your dream afterwords, but you are still becoming lucid from a dream.

MILD - Cementing a mental image into your mind of yourself doing a reality check. It works because it was on your mind when you fell asleep. You were in the dream when you became lucid though.

WILDs
      VILD - Creating an image or scene in the mind while awake and then stepping into it after the body falls asleep. You are awake when the dream starts: wake induced.

FILD - This is almost the definition of a WILD. You stay perfectly still until you enter a dream. Moving your finger is just to keep you focused.

DEILD - You are going back into a dream that you already had. Since you are still dreaming and may still be in sleep paralysis it is extremely accelerated, but still your mind is awake when you start dreaming.

Psychologically and Physiologically there are only two general ways to have a lucid dream. I'm bored with everyone coming up with new acronyms for slight variations of these techniques. I like these ones because they are dramatically different in how they are accomplished. The fact is that these seven techniques are supposed to be general. If you play the piano and find that you can induce a lucid dream by playing octaves with your fingers don't put a new tutorial up called PILD (Piano Induced Lucid Dream.) Know that you've found the variation on FILD that works for you. If other people are struggling with a FILD and then mention it when you respond or in your own dream journal

</rant>

Technically, there is a third way of including lucid dreams through hypnosis, but few people know how to do it.
      Last edited by ninja9578; 11-10-2007 at 05:44 AM.

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA
      Agreed.

Although I do think people should still make new threads if they do something thats drastically different than the original method.

Of course, just because you make a new thread doesn't mean you have to make an acronym

Indiana
      although your right, making new methods is good.
      I meen someone could make a really good way of inducing a wild, or a dild

and since they made there own method i guess they wanna name it something diff so people will recognize theres from others.
      Last edited by Pride; 11-10-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob_001 View Post
      Of course, just because you make a new thread doesn't mean you have to make an acronym
      Agreed. I've seen some really unnecessary ones, like... BILD - Banana Induced Lucid Dream.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Heya,

I'm still waiting for the GTS technique myself: Go To Sleep. Works 100%! Every time!

That said, understand that its important for people to try and define their own experiences, and somehow capture them into words, or writing, or some other symbolic entity. But because of the nature of lucid dreaming and dreams in general, we're dealing with something that cannot ever be fully captured into words.

So each of us tries as best as we can to convey the sensation or experience we had, each time never quite fully covering the actual thing. That's why you see all these different acronyms and 'types' of lucid dream pop up, in my opinion. They're all just subjective attempts of people to try and 'cover' the experience with words as best as they can.

Just my 2 cents,

-Redrivertears-

I don't think WBTB should be a subset of DILD's, because it's simply the act of waking up. After you wake up, you can either WILD or DILD after that.

LD Count
      ~A Dozen
      Ontario
      Agreed with Anaxa. The WBTB is actually more commonly used in WILD anyway to be honest.

WBTB is kinda a grey area, its off on its own. Its not a method in itself or part of one, its just a helper to various methods and even sub-methods as you have labeled them.
      This space is reserved for signature text. A signature goes here. A signature is static combination of words at the end of a post. This is not a signature. Its a signature placeholder. One day my signature will go here.

Signed,
      Me

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA
      Quote Originally Posted by ExoByte View Post
      Agreed with Anaxa. The WBTB is actually more commonly used in WILD anyway to be honest.

WBTB is kinda a grey area, its off on its own. Its not a method in itself or part of one, its just a helper to various methods and even sub-methods as you have labeled them.
      WBTB is a method in itself.

You wake up after sleeping for several hours, do many reality checks, then go back to bed thinking about lucid dreaming.
      To get technical, its wrong to refer to WBTB-ing as simply getting up at night and doing a method that isn't actually WBTB.

WBTB came after WILD. I actually remember talking to the guy who invented it a long time ago
      (WILD was always meant to be done after sleeping, the variant of WILDing before sleep is actually a deviation from LaBerge's original)
      Last edited by BillyBob; 11-11-2007 at 04:42 AM.