• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
      USA

Unhappy The Golden Compass. Further religious hypocrisy

Apparently this film is to atheism what Narnia is to christianity. It's written by an atheist and it "promotes" atheism, just like Narnia did christianity. Now there is a big controversy over it by the christians, many of them are boycotting the movie. As an atheist I saw Narnia and loved it. So why can't christians just chill the hell out and go see it for what it is, entertainment? They are complaining that it's indoctrinating children........ well I guess they would know all about that....

Banned
      LD Count
      Loads
      Digital Forest.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rakjavik View Post
      Apparently this film is to atheism what Narnia is to christianity. It's written by an atheist and it "promotes" atheism, just like Narnia did christianity. Now there is a big controversy over it by the christians, many of them are boycotting the movie. As an atheist I saw Narnia and loved it. So why can't christians just chill the hell out and go see it for what it is, entertainment? They are complaining that it's indoctrinating children........ well I guess they would know all about that....
      This just goes to show how single-minded Christians can be. I am Atheist, yet i love the Narnia tales for the stories.

Besides, I don't think any Atheists boycotted Narnia, did they? More intolerantcy coming from such "Tolerant", and "peaceful" folk.

The Wondering Gnome Achievements:
      1 year registered Referrer Silver Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Sector ZZ 9 Plural Z Alpha
      I'm very saddened by this development.

The Golden Compass is one of the best books I have ever read (and I've read a lot, even at my age), and it would be very sad to see a bastardized version - a scintillating, visually faithful reproduction which is just an intellectual shell of the original story.

The book contains tons of allusions to scientific theories of the time and is extremely thought-provoking, giving a whole new perspective on religion as a whole. I fear that the movie... will not.

Oregon, the rainy state
      The Narnia books were some of the first I ever read and I still love them, despite my raging athiesm. I don't see why people can't just leave religion out of it and take the movies for what they are: entertainment.
      The Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

Be NOW Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Quad Cities , Illinois USA
      DJ Entries
      One should read the other books by CS Lewis besides the Narnia series. Lewis redefines Christianity in such a way that it puts the "religion" of it to shame and pulls forth the reality of it.
      Lewis' works such as Mere Christianity, and the Great Divorce opened the door to what is really on the inside for me. The writings have more in common with Buddhist teachings rather than the ceremonial ritualistic jibberrish of the religios covering called Christianity that hides the meaning of Christs teachings.
      After mulling over such writings, Buddhist teachings of Dzogchen, Hindu teachings of Advaita, Islamic teachings of the Sufi, One sees what Christ was teaching, and its not much like what the modern Christian churches teach and promote at all.

иowheяe

I take it by your "apparently" you haven't read His Dark Materials, then? Or seen the new film adaptation of Northern Lights (or Golden Compass as it has been renamed)? It doesn't make much difference, but I recommend you do. Whatever you believe, they're great books, and I expect the film will live up to them.

Christians as a whole aren't that bothered, I would imagine. There will be those that boycott it, but then I expect there were aethiests who boycotted Narnia. It's a big generalisation to claim that all Christians need to chill out. They aren't all complaining at all. It's a small minority that's ruining the image for everyone, the same was with Harry Potter.

It's usually just a few fundementalists who haven't actually read/seen whatever they're attacking, and who create big generalisations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Siиdяed View Post
      They aren't all complaining at all. It's a small minority that's ruining the image for everyone, the same was with Harry Potter.
      The problem is, though, that the producers and everyone involved are subject to these images. They're bound to 'dumb it down' a little bit, even if just to pacify imaginary opposition.

иowheяe
      Reading back over your post, Rakjavik, I might also point out that Pullman's Dark Materials are an obvious attack on Christianity, while Narnia wasn't an attack on aetheism. So how you can compare the two I'm not sure.

Still, I loved the books, and hope I'll love the film. I hope the anti-Church message it isn't dumbed-down, Gnome, but I'm guessing it will be. It was integral to the plot.

Meh meh. That's all the serious posting I can muster for one day.

*begins daily spamming spree*

Reading back over your post, Rakjavik, I might also point out that Pullman's Dark Materials are an obvious attack on Christianity, while Narnia wasn't an attack on aetheism. So how you can compare the two I'm not sure.
      I would definitely argue against that. Pullman's works are more of an attack on religion in general, more specifically monotheism, if you want. But I don't really see any features of Lyra's world's religion that are specific to Christianity.

Banned
      The Weak and the Wounded
      Quote Originally Posted by thegnome54 View Post
      But I don't really see any features of Lyra's world's religion that are specific to Christianity.
      Let's see.

-Angels exactly as in the bible

-The christian church plays a major role

-Direct reference to Satan

-Direct reference to the christian God

-The Kingdom of Heaven as in the Bible

-Philip Pullman himself has specified the attack on christianity himself in interview.

Now GTFO and take your FAIL with you.

Jus' kiddin I love you really.

Quote Originally Posted by Carôusoul View Post
      Let's see.

-Philip Pullman himself has specified the attack on christianity himself in interview.

I did read them in eighth grade, and you know how memory fails us as we get on in our years...

I stand firmly rebuked.

Banned
      LD Count
      Loads
      Digital Forest.
      Let's see.

That describes just about any monotheistic religion. I have never read the books, but how exactly does the author go about against religion? The movie trailers and description tell 0.

@Sindred: Actually, I think differently. Just read the last book in the series.

Still, I loved the books, and hope I'll love the film. I hope the anti-Church message it isn't dumbed-down, Gnome, but I'm guessing it will be. It was integral to the plot.

Meh meh. That's all the serious posting I can muster for one day.

*begins daily spamming spree*
      A) Anything supporting organized religion is an attack on reason, and therefore an attack on atheism
      B) I've really got read Pullman's books

иowheяe
      Sorry, two people attacking me either can't remember the books, or haven't read them at all. Seismo relied on movie trailers. How far the film will show the anti-religion theme I don't know, though I'm guessing it will probably be downplayed (as Gnome says).

The religious side is largely directed towards the Christian Church, the evidence is obvious (thank-you Carou), but I'll accept it could refer to any religious faith.

CatScan read the books. And you make a good point.

Still, I'm standing by the fact that the majority of Christians aren't causing a fuss over the books/film. It's a few hardcore minorities making the whole faith look bad. The OP doesn't make that very clear at all.

Um...

New York
      , just like Narnia did christianity.
      Narnia promoted Christianity? god im horrible with symbolism........but how so?
      i know C.S Lewis converted to christianity, ive read a few of his books about religion

They are complaining that it's indoctrinating children........ well I guess they would know all about that....
      people dont normally "chill out" when their beliefs are insulted. if you want them to "chill out" take a calmer approach.
      Last edited by Matt5678; 11-17-2007 at 02:16 AM.
      "A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."
      -oscar wilde

Banned
      LD Count
      Loads
      Digital Forest.
      Sorry, two people attacking me either can't remember the books, or haven't read them at all. Seismo relied on movie trailers. How far the film will show the anti-religion theme I don't know, though I'm guessing it will probably be downplayed (as Gnome says).

The religious side is largely directed towards the Christian Church, the evidence is obvious (thank-you Carou), but I'll accept it could refer to any religious faith.

CatScan read the books. And you make a good point.

Still, I'm standing by the fact that the majority of Christians aren't causing a fuss over the books/film. It's a few hardcore minorities making the whole faith look bad. The OP doesn't make that very clear at all.

Um...
      No, i have never read the Northern Lights, or The Golden Compass. Although I have Read the Chronicles of Narnia. They are filled with references to the OT & NT. As well as just bout any Monotheistic Religion. The problem is that there are only 3 Monotheistic religions, and they all came out of Egypt.

USA
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt5678 View Post
      Narnia promoted Christianity? god im horrible with symbolism........but how so?
      i know C.S Lewis converted to christianity, ive read a few of his books about religion

people dont normally "chill out" when their beliefs are insulted. if you want them to "chill out" take a calmer approach.
      I understand taking the "chill out" apporoach. Honestly I am not taking a not calmn approach. It just seems wrong. The point is, that atheists have not taken a bad approach toward Narnia. Even though, it's basically the same thing. Narnia "screams" christianity, yet it was a beautiful piece of cinematic art! Yet, I have not seen on any forums evidence of people getting upset about it. It's only when things like The Golden Compass or Harry Potter come up. All of a sudden, that's all I read on forums. (IMDB most of the time) It seems to me, like religion is allowed to beat us down(asheist/agnostics) but we're not allowed to say anything about them. Honestly it seems to parallel with racism. Some people are allowed to "diss" other people, but others are not allowed to do so on the other side of the coin. Why are theist allowed to have a theatrical depiction of why their beliefs are true, but yet we cannot without being looked down upon and become controversial?

иowheяe
      Narnia's Christian symbology is undeniable. The whole Aslan/Christ theme is obvious.

People are allowed to insult Christianity, Rakjavik. The amount of anti-Christian media is incredible, and very few Churches bother trying to fight back. Compared to the outrage critisism of Islam causes Christianity barely resists attack.

So no, Rakjavik, I think saying that Christianity "beats down" aethiests anywhere near the amount that aethiests attack Chrisitianity. Congrats for recognising that very few Chrisitians actually have taken offense at the Dark Materials/Harry Potter, though. It's a generalisation the faith could do without.

Oneironaut
      So why can't christians just chill the hell out and go see it for what it is, entertainment?

For the same reason certain Christians dislike Harry Potter.

Some people are dumb.

It seems to me, like religion is allowed to beat us down(asheist/agnostics) but we're not allowed to say anything about them.

Uh, what? Heck man, when was the last time you seriously looked? Christianity, as the majority religion in America, gets shit every day.

The Narnia example is really an outlier.
      Last edited by Silvanus350; 11-17-2007 at 08:24 PM.
      Are you dreaming?

Banned
      The Weak and the Wounded
      Quote Originally Posted by Seismosaur View Post
      No, i have never read the Northern Lights, or The Golden Compass. Although I have Read the Chronicles of Narnia. They are filled with references to the OT & NT. As well as just bout any Monotheistic Religion. The problem is that there are only 3 Monotheistic religions, and they all came out of Egypt.

GOD BECAUSE EGYPT.

Xei
      Banned
      The religious aspect of Northern Lights and the His Dark Materials trilogy was its strongest aspect and I will be severely dissapointed if they remove the more controversial bits.

They were in the book, so why not the movie? I thought books were much more important to Christians; in fact, I can think of one very important one off the top of my head.
      No, i have never read the Northern Lights, or The Golden Compass.
      Yay, ignorance.
      Last edited by Xei; 11-17-2007 at 09:16 PM.

USA

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus350 View Post
      So why can't christians just chill the hell out and go see it for what it is, entertainment?

For the same reason certain Christians dislike Harry Potter.

Some people are dumb.

It seems to me, like religion is allowed to beat us down(asheist/agnostics) but we're not allowed to say anything about them.

Uh, what? Heck man, when was the last time you seriously looked? Christianity, as the majority religion in America, gets shit every day.

The Narnia example is really an outlier.
      Christianity gets shit? You cannot go into politics unless you're religious. A recent poll that was done showed America was least comfortable with an atheist in office. That was over gays,blacks and women. I would say that christian's don't get slammed nearly as much. Just my opinion

Banned
      LD Count
      Loads
      Digital Forest.
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      The religious aspect of Northern Lights and the His Dark Materials trilogy was its strongest post and I will be severely dissapointed if they remove the more controversial bits.

They were in the book, so why not the movie? I thought books were much more important to Christians in fact, I can think of one very important one off the top of my head.
      I think they would dumb down the book because people are stupid. I mean seriously, the majority is just stupid. They all have their little piece of cheese, and when something like this comes and tries to show them that that cheese is a slow-killing Rat Poison, they plug their ears and scream "Lalalala!!!".

So yea, the more Controversial Parts that attack religion will most likely be either cut or adapted.

иowheяe
      GOD BECAUSE EGYPT.

*slowly claps, until suddenly the whole thread is filled with thunderous applause as more and more join in*

Banned
      LD Count
      Loads
      Digital Forest.
      Christianity gets shit? You cannot go into politics unless you're religious. A recent poll that was done showed America was least comfortable with an atheist in office. That was over gays,blacks and women. I would say that christian's don't get slammed nearly as much. Just my opinion
      No offense, but i'd say that 70% of corporate company owners & CEOs are Atheist, agnostic, or just very "weak christians".

And it doesn't matter what they prefer, it matters what gives them their paycheck.

Sidenote:

The average Agnostic/Atheist scored roughly 30% higher then the average christian on SAT and ACTs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast