• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class

Dream body pain?

I have been LDing for years, but last night was the first time I ever flew through something that felt like it burned every atom of my dream body on the way through. I was trying to complete a goal and had already been lucid for about 20 minutes, so I did not really stop to find out what it was (it looked like some sort of small, raised powerhouse to some building). I can't believe how much it hurt, like someone had set me on fire. The odd thing is that I do not remember expecting it to hurt. Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

The avatarless one
      Norway
      Yes, I have. But dream pain seems to be more "dull" than real pain, at least to me. Does that apply to you, too?

- Canada -
      Quote Originally Posted by Never View Post
      I have been LDing for years, but last night was the first time I ever flew through something that felt like it burned every atom of my dream body on the way through. I was trying to complete a goal and had already been lucid for about 20 minutes, so I did not really stop to find out what it was (it looked like some sort of small, raised powerhouse to some building). I can't believe how much it hurt, like someone had set me on fire. The odd thing is that I do not remember expecting it to hurt. Anyone else ever have a similar experience?
      The problem here is that you cannot really experience intangibility in the waking life. It is simply an impossibility.

So, during your dream state, since your unconscious mind must make the effort to complete experiences based on your personal memories, it will make the best presumption of how something would be experienced. Think of it as how you would expect to feel if you were stabbed (or just something you have never experienced).

This expectant feeling is what will be manifested. To control this, pay attention to your expectations and, since you are lucid dreaming, control your expectations to meet what you would best like.

Hopefully this helps. I used to ignore the idea of this incompleteness involved in dreaming and how my presumptions can influence my dreams. So, I took note of it and how I can virtually do anything and feel nothing (ie. give birth, as a male, and feel nothing... now how is that for a lucid task?).

What do you think...?

~

Member Achievements:

Absolutely. I am sure it was my brain's best guess, only it was just so unexpected that I just was looking for similar things to compare it too. Most definitely I will seek out such an object again and force a different experience so as to avoid such agony in the future. Not in all my years have I experienced lucid dream pain until now; quite as real as pleasure if the body can create the sensation, such as a burn.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
      Yes, I have. But dream pain seems to be more "dull" than real pain, at least to me. Does that apply to you, too?
      Usually; for example I have been tackled by a grizzly bear before and it sort of felt like being hit with a pillow; not much really.

Whenever I fly through any object I can feel it's "molecular" structure as I pass through. I think this is why I felt such intense pain in this particular situation; I must have thought in the back of my mind that it was a dangerous object to pass through, and therefore somehow believed my dream body could possibly be damaged; all in the course of a nanosecond. (I was flying pretty fast). Just a guess.

Banned
      I have had dream pain in the past. Most of the time it's from something testicle-related in a dream, but the most odd one happened just two nights ago (it wasn't a lucid dream though...):

I went to bed real early, like at 7:30pm. I was starving hungry, but due to certain circumstances, I wasn't able to eat dinner. I went into a dream where I was watching some stupid horror movie on video. It starred Tim Allen who was doing some kind of research with evolution, trying to find the missing link in our genes or something. He was about to tell some woman something, when suddenly the screen went to an extreme close up on Tim Allen's face, and he spontaniously turned into a blue, fat caveman with burning red eyes. Upon doing this, my whole body reeled in agonizing pain, mostly in my ribs. In my mind I couldn't believe what a dumb movie this was, and further couldn't believe how stupid the ending was (once he transformed, the screen went to black and the credits started scrolling). The pain stayed with me for a few seconds. I wanted to show my sister the uncanny idiotic ending to the movie and began to rewind it, but then the dream ended.

I guess my severe hunger may have had something to do with the pain. Maybe you got quick cramp in real life, and the dream distorted the pain?