• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Banned

Improving Recall of Dreams Between DEILDs

So I have successfully DEILD'ed a few times now, not as a WILD but as a DILD technique. I fall back asleep and re-enter the dream, then something causes me to regain lucidity once I am back asleep and within the dream. I've managed to chain a few lucids this way, but whenever I do this they are relatively hazy and difficult to remember. I think it's because I don't wake up enough to properly recall them and write them down, I just try to recite them quickly before they're forgotten, then I pass right back out. I usually don't do a good job though, because if I wake up I often have a lot of trouble falling back asleep

So I'm sure that those of you who are more experienced with the DEILD technique (WILD or DILD, although I'm sure that remaining conscious the entire time keeps the LD memories fresher) have found ways to get about this issue. Do you have any advice that you can offer me? I don't do this often so I can't really use a trial-and-error method to figure out the best way. But I'm tired of having 4+ lucids in a night and barely being able to remember them I can recall about 5 dreams per not on average, so it's a bummer to lose some of these lucids If you need any more info, please ask. Thanks!

Also I thought I'd share for laughs what I mean when I say that something causes me to regain lucidity:
      I was back in the dream cityscape but I wasn't lucid anymore. A dream character walked up and said, "So, what do you think about DREAMS?" and I was like "Oh my god, that's right, I'm dreaming! I start laughing and say, "Thanks!" and he says, "My pleasure" and walks away.

with the power of 28!! seeker28's Avatar
      Idaho, USA; the back end of nowhere.
      LOL!! Awesome quote!

I DEILD pretty much every night. I know exactly what you mean about loosing LDs early in a dream chain. I've dealt with the loss of recall by doing a few things.

First, I try to decide IN the LD if it is worth remembering in detail. This is because my reasoning capability when I wake up during the night is crap, but is pretty good in the dream itself.

If I decide it is worth remembering in detail I will make some short notes when I wake up from it. Then I just go back to sleep (or try to WILD).

If I decide the dream isn't worthy of interupting my chain I run through it at least three times in my mind when I wake up. Then I DEILD again.

Other than this I haven't come up with a sure-fire way to recall those early DEILD chain dreams. On another LD site someone suggested "anchoring" their LDs. By that they meant that in the dream doing something that you do during your morning routine. Like making coffe, or brushing your teeth. Or just looking at your coffee cup, so that it will help jog your memory when you wake up. I haven't tried this yet, but think it makes perfect sense. Hope this helps!
      LD tasks of the month completed: 16
      Read some of my writing:
      http://dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=52477

Visit my deviantart gallery:
      http://seeker28.deviantart.com/

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by seeker28 View Post
      LOL!! Awesome quote!

I DEILD pretty much every night. I know exactly what you mean about loosing LDs early in a dream chain. I've dealt with the loss of recall by doing a few things.

First, I try to decide IN the LD if it is worth remembering in detail. This is because my reasoning capability when I wake up during the night is crap, but is pretty good in the dream itself.

If I decide it is worth remembering in detail I will make some short notes when I wake up from it. Then I just go back to sleep (or try to WILD).

If I decide the dream isn't worthy of interupting my chain I run through it at least three times in my mind when I wake up. Then I DEILD again.

Other than this I haven't come up with a sure-fire way to recall those early DEILD chain dreams. On another LD site someone suggested "anchoring" their LDs. By that they meant that in the dream doing something that you do during your morning routine. Like making coffe, or brushing your teeth. Or just looking at your coffee cup, so that it will help jog your memory when you wake up. I haven't tried this yet, but think it makes perfect sense. Hope this helps!
      Yea, sometimes my DCs go and redeem themselves like that!

These chained lucids are often really hazy in general, and hard to stabilize and etc. I think you're right, next time I will try to stabilize and rational take a look around and make sure to memorize what's going on. I sometimes do this in RL and the memories last for years because I made an effort for them to.

I am also way groggy when I wake in the middle of the night. Add in that I can't WILD anyway, and I desperately try to keep my mind clear and just fall back asleep. But I guess it's not worth the price of a lost lucid. I'll see if telling myself while in the dream to remember helps out more, I think it should.

Hmm... my morning routine is really just to sit at the computer and check my email until my eyes are awake enough to put my contacts in. I have read in EWOLD that LaBerge recommends this, I never really use it because my recall is normally fantastic. But I'll start trying, it certainly can't hurt!!

Thanks, Seeker

You may also try MILD. I tend to pair DEILD with MILD or WILD. If I find I can't easily WILD (I'm lazy) I just try for a MILD instead. I have fairly good luck with it, but since I'm a natural I can't even guess what kind of success you may have.
      Read some of my writing:

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by seeker28 View Post
      You may also try MILD. I tend to pair DEILD with MILD or WILD. If I find I can't easily WILD (I'm lazy) I just try for a MILD instead. I have fairly good luck with it, but since I'm a natural I can't even guess what kind of success you may have.
      Yea, I'm definitely not a natural and I've never WILDed so... lol I'll give the MILD a try though, it can't help and I really ought to experiment more with techniques like that. I just do RCs and take my LDs as they come haha Thanks for the advice

Always welcome!

I suspect that since you already have LDs on the mind while in the middle of a DEILD chain, the MILD attempt will be "supercharged." Meaning it will have a unusually high chance of success.
      Read some of my writing: