• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Exclamation A reoccuring nightmare I want deciphered

This nightmare reoccurs every 4 years. Flawlessly as far as I know, but I'm not sure if it's on the same night on that 4th year. As far as I can remember, I've had this dream ever since I was 8 or 9 years old. (I'm 17, now.)

It all starts off in the living room, beside my back door, with my back propped up against the wall. I'm looking into the computer room, kind of mindlessly or blankly, just "spacing out". I hear the phone ring and I walk into the computer room, I still feel numb, as in no real emotion, but it feels almost like I'm floating, like I had no weight, but it was not like moon walking...

I reach the computer room, and pick up the phone and look at the caller ID, the caller ID is just a blank screen, I think nothing of it and answer the phone. I put it up to my ear and hear nothing but white noise, this kind of creeps me out a little, I can feel my heart beating, but it wasn't really racing. I listen harder and I hear a male voice, the same male voice with every repetition of the dream. The voice does NOT change. First I hear a quiet, whispery "I know where you live." the voice wasn't at all monotone, but it had a threatening undertone. Then the white noise clears, but comes back after a moment much MUCH louder, and that same guy angrily screaming "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU, MOTHER*insert expletive here*." It freaks me out so bad that I turn the phone off and slam it on the ground, causing the batteries to pop out... But the phone makes that noise when it's been left off of the hook for too long, despite having the batteries out. I stomp on the phone, and the phone shuts off completely.

I sit on the couch, and tremble, biting on my thumbnail and staring at the coffee table, again, spacing out but still thinking about the incident that just occurred, and shaken about it. The phone rings again, and I go to the phone that's near the TV and pick it up, looking at the caller ID and only seeing a blank screen. I answer the phone with no hesitation, and this time I hear heavy, but steady breathing, with my heart racing, and my voice crackling with fear, I ask "Hello? Who's this?" and he says "I'm your personal hell. I see you. I'm going to get you. I'm going to suffer. I'M GOING TO SKIN YOU ALIVE." At this point I'm fearing for my life, to where I'm almost frozen where I stand. I look around, glancing out of the windows with my eyes, turning around to look out of the glass door, down the hall way, in the kitchen, but I see no one. Then I hear "It's your imagination, that's what you want to believe. But it's not, it's reality, it's your nightmare coming true, and I'm going to get you." and the dialogue gets louder and louder, causing my heart to race even faster and it scares me so bad that I finally wake up.
      Last edited by FlyByNight; 10-18-2008 at 06:01 AM.

Banned
      This sounds a lot like the movie Scream. Did you see it and get really scared by it as a child? Sometimes things that really frighten you when you were really young can manifest themselves into some horrible nightmares later on.

About the caller ID not working, the way that dreams are made, electronic devices rarely work the way that they are supposed to, so I think that's just a glitch in your dream, not part of the nightmare itself. Same with the phone buzzing without the batteries in it.

Another scene that comes to mind is from A Nightmare on Elm Street, where Nancy is locked in her room before her boyfriend dies across the street. She's on the phone with Freddy and then unplugs it and it still rings. If you saw that movie when you were young, that may have also made an imprint on your subconscious.

I know that you're new, but when you learn to recognize this as a dream, you will be in more control and not be afraid, you could literally ask the guy on the other end of the line who it is, and they should answer you honestly if you're lucid.

Ah, I see what you're saying, but I haven't seen Scream or Nightmare on Elm Street when I was younger, my parents wouldn't let me. So there was no way I could have seen them.

I haven't seen them even to this day, I have either forgotten to rent them, or haven't thought about them because school is my first priority.

DJ Entries
      On the superficial level, this dream is telling you this other part of you your "internal" hell is wanting to be noticed.

My guess is you are asking this question of others to see if there may be other pick-ups, something to loosen the tension, to reason or something like that.

Your hell is able to get into your living room, computer room and bedroom via the phone.

The dial in is blank - maybe that is the unknown, or the vacant part of you.

Some of the dream sounds like the typical horror movie script, so maybe somewhere you took that in on a subconscious level also.

I am wondering if this part may become more polite and give himself or herself a name - maybe you could make that a rule. This would give you some control over the fear that the unknown name is eminating from anonimity.

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Saint Augustine, Florida
      DJ Entries
      Are you being threatened ( maybe not even physically, maybe a job position ) by somebody you don't know..? this dream is kind of hard to decipher because it sounds so much like a typical horror movie

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Sacramento, California
      This dream is about anxiety

Dreamer and Interpreter quattykitty's Avatar
      nyc
      yea its hard to interpret w/o something that we know that happened in your life at the time. it happened every 4 years since you were 8, so thats only like what, 2 times?? 3 times??? anything that sparked those times from happening? seems weird that the dream was exactly the same since you were 8 or 9, most people only just start remembering those dreams at this age (or a little younger). it seems to me thats its unlikely that you would remember this dream so vividly when you were so young and/or that this dream would include you talking on a phone w/ a man w/ a deep scary voice. i know when i was eight i didnt talk on the phone regularly enough for it to be in my dreams and i never knew any deep voiced men. obviously your life couldve been different.

what im saying is that maybe these dreams 'reoccur' but they dont really. maybe you had a scary dream when you were eight that was similar to this but not quite like it and that something in your real life triggered the dream (something scary, only you know what it is). then something similar in real life happened 4 years later and then 8 years later that reminded you of that dream/nightmare when you were eight and created a new nightmare with similar features. hwoever, there is one thing definately simiilar in this: the reality that caused it.

think back to before you had these dreams... were you worried about sometihng? were you caring for your family? did someone you know dearly die? were you thinking about dying?

i know these questions are weird but just think about it. as i always say, only YOU know what your dream means, no one can tell you for you. however, always compare the reality with the dream and never leave a dream empty handed, especially one as vivid as this.

hope i helped at least a little bit. good luck.
      ~*~Catherine~*~