• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Undisclosed location

To catch a dream

Some believe that a Dream Catcher is sacred and some native americans, as well as others, feel it has to be made in a certain manner and composed a specific way. I respect those views. So I am not intending to tread on anyones beliefs. In fact I would like to here from you. Having said that.

This is my view. is only what you make it. Like a placabo. The more thought you put into it the more likley you will have some results. The more belief you have in one, the more effectiveness it will have.
      Here is my Idea: = Make your own

Idea 1. use material that is special or has sentimental value. It does not matter wether it is bone, wood. It can be anything.

Idea 2. Shape. This also should fit your your own tastes and Ideals. If you like a square better than a circle then construct it like a square.

Idea 3. Size. Well that would depend opon your available space, home decor and taste.
      Baiscally I think there should be no retrictions other than legal ones of coares.

Theory = By using your own two hands and taking time out of your own day to contruct a dreamcatcher and with the use of the material of your choice, this will spawn a greater increase of the useage of the dreamcatcher
      There can be endless Ideas and please post what way you will construct your dream Catcher

After some feedback I say we put this into play and see what results come out of it

While your idea is interesting - in fact, I think that your theory is sound - I think that you leave out one key aspect: What is a dream catcher? Define it specifically.
      Does it catch dreams? If so, what does it mean to catch a dream? How does one measure if a dream has been "caught?"

Once you have these parameters established, you will be one step closer to performing your experiment in proper.
      Total LDs: 4
      Total Controlled Dreams: 2

Undisclosed location
      Good point Dreamscaper.

The basic concept of a dream catcher:

An ancient Chippewa traditon
      The dream net has been made
      For many generations
      Where spirit dreams have played

Hung above the cradle board
      Or in the lodge up high
      The dream net catches bad dreams
      While good dreams slip on by

Bad dreams become entangled
      Among the sinew thread
      Good dreams slip through the center hole
      While you dream upon your bed

This is an ancient legend
      Since dreams will never cease
      Hang this dream net above your bed
      Dream on and be at Peace

I really like that poem! Though I want the opposite. I want the bad dreams to slip on by and keep the good ones.

I would agree also on the placebo affect. I have a similar opinion towards the mugwort, but I could be wrong. Perhaps the scent of it triggers some chemical in the brain. Who knows?
      I have become an angel this night, bearing wishes on pearly wings. While dancing upon clusters of stars and cosmic nebulas, into some enchanted, celestial ritual that turned me into a constellation...

adopted by Howetzer

This seems like a really good experiment, except you don't realize that people's confidence, belief, subconscious (factors), cannot be measured properly. You can, of course, select prime subjects with equal confidence and such. Overall, sounds interesting...

"In the end, the lord shalth return in full regulation Soviet Uniform, hailing Lenin as thy true messiah." -Siberian Revealations

Undisclosed location
      Anyone interested I would like to know a few things.
      1.Your belief and interest in a dream cather
      2.What Items you choose to use. Why (if you feel comfortable in doing so)
      3.Where you located your dream catcher.
      4. Male or female
      5. Any result - more dreams, less dreams, same, etc.

My dream catcher. Bones I gathered on my honey moon on the beach in bar Harbor Maine
      Grape vine (sounds wierd but I have my reasons)
      Fabric made from my past on mother (God bless her) from her arts and crafts.
      Shape = round

This project has if anything made me reflect on things in my life that are important and what I hope to "Catch" per say as far as a dream is concerned.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      i am thinking if you put a giant lump of time into making it (aka, 4 hours straight making a nice, 2 ft one) then it would carry over into your dreams, but if you just spend a few minutes now and then it isnt going to work
      veteran of the darkmyst #dreamviews
      Raised: Turkeh

Undisclosed location
      Originally posted by lord soth
      i am thinking if you put a giant lump of time into making it (aka, 4 hours straight making a nice, 2 ft one) then it would carry over into your dreams, but if you just spend a few minutes now and then it isnt going to work
      I agree with you totally lord soth! Just like any of these technigues that we have to work on the more your brain ponders over it the more effective it will become. and by making it personal maybe even more so.
      I have about twenty minutes into mine so far. -I did have a LD last night though. -Very short and vague.

Around the bend
      Hey Howetzer... I'll try it out.
      My belief is that it won't work for me though

As for measuring - yeh. thats a problem
      How are you going to determine whether it works for a certainty?
      And what are we measuring? Number of dreams? Amount of good dreams?
      Tips For Newbies | What to do in an LD

Unless otherwise stated, views expressed in this post are not necessarily representative of the official Dream Views stance. Hell, it's probably not even representative of me.

Undisclosed location
      Originally posted by Placebo
      Hey Howetzer... I'll try it out.
      My belief is that it won't work for me though

As for measuring - yeh. thats a problem
      How are you going to determine whether it works for a certainty?
      And what are we measuring? Number of dreams? Amount of good dreams?
      I believe that a dream catcher is in direct coralation to your name. So I believe as you do. But my theory is that by issueing personal time, pieces and thought is that this will effect your dreaming - just for that reason alone. Just as reality checks. You do two or three forget it. Ten or twelve then maybe. Also if you go into it believing it will not work, then ofcoarse it has no chance.
      - I will format it like I am suppose to.

Undisclosed location

Materials

I now have most of my materials for my dream catcher.
      I thought it would take more time to collect the Items I wanted. None the less, the thought process to which I used to pick out all of the personal Items will be the key.
      + time putting it together.
      1.I am using grapevine from a small patch of woods that I grew up in, now developed & has a gas well on it. A couple acres remain. I lot of fond memories
      2.Using twine (for fishing)that my best friend gave me a long time ago who is no longer with us. I just found it rumaging through my closet -- A sign
      3. The reminants of yarn from somthing my mother had made to support breast cancer. She also is no longer with us. - Good grief I don't want this post to cause depression! >
      4.On a good note. Some whale tooth that I got I my honeymoon on a whale watching tour.
      - In the tourist shop. I didn't jump on the whale myself.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      USA
      I'll definitely be trying this...this is the best idea I've seen so far. I'll post with results of both what I made and what I dreamed.

Undisclosed location
      I now have my dream catcher done. I don't have a scanner but my friend does. I will try to post a picture of it.

More info I found out about Dream catchers.
      - The whole in the center is suppose to protect you from harm while you rest, catching good dreams as they pass by & getting rid of any bad dreams as they drop through the whole in the middle.
      It is suppose to be hung from the cieling above your bed, allowing your dreams to pass through.

What is sad is I don't even believe in this whole dream catcher. I think it works like a placebo on people that it does help.

My theory again is that all the time spent making it (inturn I was thinking about dreaming) and using personal belongings put sentimental value and character to it made dreaming a significant part of my day and thought process.

My out come while making it.
      Less dreams so far- per last month by two. On my average of five per month.

Now that it is done would that not be wild if it worked. As its original purpose wasintended to do?!

Just an idea. Maybe not so smart, but what if you have a removable part that you take with you in the daytime and put back in when time to dream. Take a small part with you in your car or whatever and maybe it would collect daytime events and when plugged in it would add thoughts, experiences, etc. to the sleepy ones.
      All intelligent creatures Dream
      LD's 12 And counting..
      I do not wish to hear about the moon from someone who has not been there.
      Mark Twain

Undisclosed location

nice

Originally posted by dreamtamer007
      Just an idea. Maybe not so smart, but what if you have a removable part that you take with you in the daytime and put back in when time to dream. Take a small part with you in your car or whatever and maybe it would collect daytime events and when plugged in it would add thoughts, experiences, etc. to the sleepy ones.
      Just an idea. [/b]
      That is a cool idea. Way to think outside the box dreamtamer007.
      We are so condition to think it goes here or there. A portable dream catcher. A novel idea!

Re: nice

Originally posted by Howetzer
      That is a cool idea. Way to think outside the box dreamtamer007.
      We are so condition to think it goes here or there. A portable dream catcher. A novel idea!

Just got the book today from Stephen LaBerge (exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming) So I'll be busy reading and trying to catch up to you guys. Sounds interesting .Did you know that Clairity has a pic of a dream Catcher as her Avatar? Cool
      LD's 12 And counting..
      Mark Twain

* DV Veteran * Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV 50000 Hall Points
      USA

Re: nice

[quote]That is a cool idea. Way to think outside the box dreamtamer007.

That really is a great idea DT007!!

Just got the book today from Stephen LaBerge (exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming) So I'll be busy reading and trying to catch up to you guys. Sounds interesting .Did you know that Clairity has a pic of a dream Catcher as her Avatar? Cool
      I think you'll really get a lot out of LaBerge's book... it contains the "abc's" of lucid dreaming!

As for my dreamcatcher, Ramu found it for me and I really love the way it looks and what it stands for!

Undisclosed location
      dreamtamer007, Something that helped me as I read Stephen LaBerge's (exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming) is to go through it slowly. It took me a month to read or more. I let the ideas sink in as I thought about them. Much differant than a novel you just get cought up in and keep reading.

And I beleive Clarity became a member (And the Froum is thankful) during the time in which I was in the process of making my modified Dream Catcher. So I just had to link her to this site after seeing her Avatar, if I remember correctly.

Had a crazy dream this morning. Don't know if this is the place to post it, but after all that talk about Dream Catching and reading a book and drinking herbs I feel I'm progressing pretty fast in dream recall. I had a dream that there was a water problem under my step grandmother’s house and I would try and fix it. When some other guys already started to make repairs and way overcharge her I got angry with them and told them this was my grandmothers house and I want to know what’s going on. They told me someone had died and so I guess I was supposed to except that as a good excuse. When I got up from this very vivid dream I decided to call my grandmother and see if there was a water problem under the house. Someone answered the phone and said she had passed away a few months ago. I had no idea. >?
      LD's 12 And counting..
      Mark Twain

Originally posted by Howetzer
      dreamtamer007, Something that helped me as I read Stephen LaBerge's (exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming) is to go through it slowly. It took me a month to read or more. I let the ideas sink in as I thought about them. Much differant than a novel you just get cought up in and keep reading.
      Thanks for the input Howetzer

Good point also
      " Howetzer
      This is my view. A Dream Catcher is only what you make it. Like a placabo. The more thought you put into it the more likley you will have some results. The more belief you have in one, the more effectiveness it will have."
      LD's 12 And counting..
      Mark Twain

USA
      [quote]dreamtamer007, Something that helped me as I read Stephen LaBerge's (exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming) is to go through it slowly. It took me a month to read or more. I let the ideas sink in as I thought about them. Much differant than a novel you just get cought up in and keep reading.

Very sound advice... I still reread portions of this book and I've had it for years!

[quote]
      And I beleive Clarity became a member (And the Froum is thankful) during the time in which I was in the process of making my modified Dream Catcher. So I just had to link her to this site after seeing her Avatar, if I remember correctly.

Howetzer, I'm thankful to be here as well! and you did send me this link in a PM.

USA
      When I got up from this very vivid dream I decided to call my grandmother and see if there was a water problem under the house. Someone answered the phone and said she had passed away a few months ago. I had no idea. >?
      DT007, I'm so sorry about your grandmother..

You guys are the coolest
      There was a guy that used to work where my wife works and every day he'd come to work and say "I love this place" She gave me the impression that he was a little touched, if you know what I mean. He also didn't need the job. His dad had a lot of money. We'll I don't think I'm touched, “Lookout”. But sometimes I feel like saying. ‘I love this place’. Lol Maybe We could start a new acronym like PWUP or something (Problem With Unrelated Posts) this seemed like a good time to bring it up.
      LD's 12 And counting..
      Mark Twain

Undisclosed location
      Originally posted by Clairity+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clairity)</div>
      Originally posted by dreamtamer007@
      When I got up from this very vivid dream I decided to call my grandmother and see if there was a water problem under the house. Someone answered the phone and said she had passed away a few months ago. I had no idea. >?
      DT007, I'm so sorry about your grandmother..[/b]
      Ya dreamtamer007

<!--QuoteBegin-dreamtamer007

Had a crazy dream this morning. Don't know if this is the place to post it, but after all that talk about Dream Catching and reading a book and drinking herbs I feel I'm progressing pretty fast in dream recall

You should start a journal in the Forum.

Originally posted by Howetzer+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Howetzer)</div>
      Originally posted by Clairity+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clairity)
      @
      DT007, I'm so sorry about your grandmother..[/b]
      Ya dreamtamer007

Had a crazy dream this morning. Don't know if this is the place to post it, but after all that talk about Dream Catching and reading a book and drinking herbs I feel I'm progressing pretty fast in dream recall

You should start a journal in the Forum.
      [/b][/quote]

It seems to me that a journal is kind of personal thing.but I'll look into it
      LD's 12 And counting..
      Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast