• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Lurker

Nova Dreamer Mask Issue

Hi, I have killer dream recall and have been trying different methods to have a lucid dream-- all unsuccessfully. I purchased a nova dreamer-- but haven't seen any lights yet. I've had it 2 nights, and am toying around w/ the sensitivity settings. Does anybody know a way to test the rem detection? I don't have any problem w/ the uncomfortable factor, but am wondering why I haven't seen any lights even during the highest sensitivity and deepest sleep mode. The thing is virtually brand new--- it was sitting in it's original box on a shelf for year. Any help is appreciated. THank you.

Banned
      Hey Peter,

I've never used it simply because it is far too expensive to purchase, and I think a number of other members are in the same boat. So advice is a little hard to come by but here are the most relevant threads I found:

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=24617
      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...t.php?p=363522

You may want to try to PM Clairity and ask her, if she doesn't see this thread. I know that she had used hers for a while and probably is very familiar with it and can help answer your questions.

Lurker

done

Cool-- i did it. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Waste of Space
      Many people have this experience with dream masks - they're convinced it's not doing anything. I had the same issue with the REM dreamer. It's easy to test the motion sensor by just moving your hand in front of it for as long as it takes for the lights to go off. Even if you do see it initially, your body will soon become accustomed to it and will just block it out. They seem to work for a small number of freaks but generally my experience is you have to work just as hard to become lucid with or without the mask.

Sorry to tell you this after you've spent the money.

Intergalactic Psychonaut Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Bronze
      I've owned a couple of Nova Dreamers over the years.
      On the dial, choose setting 9, as that will allow you to check how many times the device cued you during your sleep. This will let you know if it's doing its job properly. Battery life will also play a big part in how well it detects REM.

If you don't have a copy of the manual, you can find the full manual here:

http://www.lucidity.com/NovaDreamerMan.html

Should explain everything you need to know.

Also, I had good success with the Nova Dreamer, despite what paragon says here. As i owned a few, I had a chance to lend my friend them now and then. They too had luck. The trick is, to not use it every night. Also if you're not doing reality checks when you see changes in light in the real world, it's not going to be any help.
      I used to have endless dreams about showing people my nova dreamer... so i started to realise that I really had to start reality checking EVERY time i saw the lights flash on it in the real world too. That helped a lot.
      It still takes work though.
      Last edited by spaceexplorer; 02-09-2009 at 01:26 AM.

Lurker

alright

cool--- thanks so much for the feedback. i started doing reality checks w/ lights during the day/night. --- lights every where in NYC!!

Lost soul in endless time Lusense's Avatar
      LD Count
      100+
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
      Ya, I was wondering how that Nova Dreamer worked. I just didn't want to waste that much cash on it but it seems like a good idea atleast as an aid. Anyone have any experience with one?
      This entire reality is SELF REFLECTION. You reflect your essence and project it onto the universe.
      "Most conversations are just monologues with witnesses."
      "Life represents the movement of knowledge across the spectrum of consciousness."

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH5975b62cddeb.jpg

Banned
      It works by being worn around your face during your sleep, and it detects the movement of your eyes during REM dreams. When it senses the movement, it provides you with a stimulus (a flashing light, a tone), which should end up incorporating itself into your dream. If, during waking life you practice RCing to similar beeps (like trucks backing up or something like that) or to flashing/changing lights, you'll start to RC in the dreams and catch those dreamsigns.

It basically plugs dream signs into your dreams every single time you are in a REM dream, versus having to wait around for your awareness to pick up on ones normally.

There might be a little bit more to them, I have never used or even seen one, I've just read about them a bit.

Lurker

Returned it

Thanks for all the ideas/comments. I actually returned it today though. The rem detection is really bad. Could be because it's literally sat on a shelf for years and years unopened. I figured that would mean "good as new" though. The most cues it ever sent in a single night, even on the highest sensitivity was about 2. So it went back!

That's fine though. At this time, I'm fully committed to my dream journal, and desperately want to have lucid dreams. I tried for months and months (about a year ago) and wound up giving up. Now-- i'm full committed to making it happen. My dream recall has been getting really good to. 1 per night at present.

I love these boards to!!

Waste of Space
      Or it could be that you're not having much REM sleep. I noticed that my REM dreamer said the same thing on nights when I didn't recall many dreams. I'm glad you returned it though. I imagine the people who find them useful are probably the people who wouldn't have much difficulty in LDing without one. It would be so much better if it had a feature that woke you up, then buggered off so you could potentially DEILD. But, with the REM dreamer at least, it keeps pestering you. The closest you can do is set the settings so that one press of the button turns it off...But it's not really the same thing.

This looks way more interesting/useful, and cheaper even than the REM dreamer (even if you have to buy the webcam!):

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=73265