• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Light Switch everybody read

i went to the libary the other day and got a book on lucid dreams. It said that when you become lucid and try to cut on a light switch, you cant do it for some reason. It even said that people have had test on people who claim to become lucid in every dream to try it and it never works i'm sure some of you already know about this. But if you didnt try it next time you become lucid and see what happens

LD Count
      ~1 Bajillion.
      Yeah, for a lot of people light switches don't work in dreams. Not always though. Since LDs are based off of conscious/subconscious desires and fears, if you want the light to turn on and have no fear/worry that it won't turn on, it will work.
      [23:17:23] <+Kaniaz> "You think I want to look like Leo Volont? Don't you dare"

I'm pretty sure if you are lucid, and you tell yourself that the light will turn on and everything will get brighter when you hit the switch, then it will go on. Otherwise your sub concious usually causes device failure.

USA
      Light switches never work for me in lucid dreams. Dunno why, but i suspect it has something to do with the fact that the subconcious is stil somewhat primitive and has not really made the connection between a switch and the light coming on.

Of course, "The Force" works every time for me to turn on the lights

Dag, someone find me a Jedi smiley please!
      you must be the change you wish to see in the world...
      -gandhi

LD Count
      ~1 Bajillion.
      [23:17:23] <+Kaniaz> "You think I want to look like Leo Volont? Don't you dare"

I thought the light switch thing was a common reality check?
      enjoy my quality responsibly

Keeper of the Flame AlternateReality's Avatar
      St. Louis, MO Relevant Posts: 27

oh and light switches never work for me either.

I've never tried in a lucid, it's usually when i'm in a regular dream and the light doesn't come on at all or fizzles and glows but it's still pretty dark.
      Do you know where you are?

Sor - Tee - Le - Gee - O Sortilegio's Avatar
      lalala
      Pretty weird but i've never had the need to turn on a light either in a normal dream or in LD. Might be interesting to try, this means I will . But I don't get why it would not work, the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe your subcouncios is telling you it won't work and won't be able to do it, like that first time ya tryed to fly .
      Here and there...

Well last night I had my first WILD and wanted to do an RC. When I climbed out of bed I went to my switch in the room and flicked it on. The lightbulb spewed weak flickery light. So I guess it kinda worked.
      Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. -Gandalf

Xei
      Banned
      I find the nose / hand RCs are much faster, less effort, and more discreet...

A state of constant discovery
      I tried it in a lucid, and found that even the switch wouldn't function properly. Wouldn't stay up. There's a switch in my house like that, so I think that's where the inspiration came from.
      Yeah.

I only tried it once because it was a FA. So I got up did a RC(good routine). Went to the lightswitch and it din work, then I rememberd I read something about device failure.

Thinking back, in my 2nd LD I flew down to my cottage and glided onto my 4-wheeler. It din start... ( I eventually screamed "I need GAS!" ) So device failure is common for me.
      LDs: approx. 51
      Why sleep when you can dream?

Barned Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      The Second Plateau
      I turned one on accidentaly , I woke up (FA) and was doing so reality checks, and while i was doing them, I walked over and turned on the lights, it worked.
      Cheis. Dailo.
      It's tough to bring someone back that never really lived.

In my nightmares when I was little, I found that the torch I had never worked. It was kinda like the lightswitch thing but with a torch instead.
      Recent Dream journal note : I was swallowed by some kind of sea-snake thing

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Utah
      I like the "plug your nose" RC best. You can do it throughout the day and it is discreet as others said. The light switch always works normally for me in dreams.

Do other electrical devices work for you?

I have never thought about trying to turn on a light switch in a LD, but I have had success in turning on television sets and radios in my LD's. Sometimes I can't find the on/off switches on them at first, but if I am persistent I usually am able to locate the button and successfully turn them on. Why not try to turn on any electrical device in your next LD to see if it works for you. Good Luck!

Explorer Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      Florida, USA
      lightswitch failure is usually what alerts me of FA's, but i have had some of them work before

That reminds me. I tried to turn on my comp in an LD. Nd it din work so I got pissed and frustrated and myu dream ended .
      LDs: approx. 51
      Why sleep when you can dream?

this morning i had three short lucids.

in each, i 'awoke' in my bed and realized my digi-clock was wonky.

in the first i attempted to turn on the lights by flicking the switch, and it did nothing.

in the second i flicked the switch , and after a split second delay, the lights came on.

in the third flicking the switch did nothing again.

so it doesn't never work

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” (or better yet: three...)
      George Bernard Shaw

No theory, no ready-made system, no book that has ever been written will save the world. I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker. - Mikhail Bakunin

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

In my non-lucid dreams (I haven't tried turning on a light switch in a lucid dream yet), light switches sometimes work and sometimes don't. I guess it just depends. When I was really little, I sometimes had dreams of not being able to turn the light in my room off. Either nothing would happen or the light would only get dimmer and not turn all the way off. I found those dreams a bit scary at the time for some reason, and didn't like them.

More recently I had a dream that there were a bunch of extra switches in the bathroom, but I wasn't really lucid. In real life, there are four switches--two for lights, the other two for the ventilation fan and heater. I tried the new switches in the dream to see what they did. Some of them did nothing, the others just did the same thing (turn on the fan).

Also, I frequently use electronic devices in dreams, such as computers, calculators, video games, my watch, etc., but they usually function pretty much how they should in real life, though sometimes with a few inconsistencies.

I can use light switches in lucid dreams, change lighting and such, I never could really understand why people can't do it.

I had one lucid dream a while ago where I was eating at a nice restaurant and the restaurant's lights dimmed which prompted me to be lucid and I just raised my finger and the lights were back to how they were. It was quite cool.
      This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I am being cared for by NirvanaStarseed.

Light switches always work in my lds!!!
      sorry boys

billybob_001 is a total loser-hydraat_takiyah
      hydraat_takiyah