• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

What exactly does the old hag mean?

Ive had this happen to me tons of times. I wake up, and cant move a muscle, I cant even breathe. At the same time, I see a shadowy figure out the corner of my eye. No matter what I do, I cant move. A few times, I mangaged to moan out for help - hoping someone will wake me up. But so far, no one has heard me.

My question is - what exactly is the old hag? Is it a result of diet? Or is it a way to experience one of those paranormal things on the forums (lucid dreams, out of body experiences, etc, etc)

If it IS the start of something paranormal. What can I do for it to continue along the paranormal path?

Flying squirrels FTW!!! Snowy Egypt's Avatar
      The Anime World
      Well for one thing, Lucid Dreaming IS NOT paranormal. Don't confuse the two.

The old hag is a hallucination. Even if you were on a diet, the hag isn't the result of one. It looks like you saw her through Sleep Paralysis (No Shift, this doesn't look like REM Atonia. ).

EDIT: Don't know why, but I move this to Sleep and Health. It sure doesn't fit in Dream Control. Feel free to move this accordingly fellow DGs. I blame sickness for this move.
      Last edited by Snowy Egypt; 01-21-2009 at 04:51 AM.
      http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1596/sleepingpikachu4.jpg
      This guy, , and this guy, , are mine. BACK OFF!

Banned
      This is not paranormal or otherworldly, and there is no need for such drastic interpretations. Sleep Paralysis is simply the mechanism of REM atonia (your body paralyzing itself during REM sleep so that you don't act out your dreams) happening while you are awake. It's not anything paranormal, it's just the simple paralysis of your body. As a disorder, it happens more frequently than in the normal populations, some of whom experience it rarely throughout their lives.

Sleep paralysis is sometimes accompanied by hallucinations, just like hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, but which can be infinitely more terrifying and they think that this is simply because of the result of the overwhelming fear a person can have because they are paralyzed and hallucinating. Don't worry. You're not possessed. You simply have a simple problem that many people before you have had, and many people after you will have, and that the normal population may sometimes experience.

Snowy, I think this was the appropriate place to put this since he is speaking of a disorder, isolated sleep paralysis. And yea... why the hell would it be REM atonia?

Spoiler for more than you ever wanted to know about SP:

The Anime World
      Dangit, just ignore me. I knew I should've let you answer that part. I just wanted to say how it's not paranormal.

Antagonist Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 10000 Hall Points
      Your body likes to be retarded sometimes, and will on occasion actually resist your intended movement, as opposed to just not working. The demon is a result of not getting enough cake as a child, or something. Isn't psychology great?

Before I go back and read the replies in-depth, I should clarify my paranormal comment.

I've seen a lot of abbrviations around this forum. LD, WILD, DILD DIELD, etc. I know that a lucid dream is just an intense dream, but I didnt know if the other abbreviations were for something beyond dreams.

Edit: I finally had some time to sit down & dig around the site. Understand what most of the various abbreviations mean. So I guess the paranormal comment can be ignored. Just chalk it up to be being new around here.
      Last edited by rocket70433; 01-22-2009 at 05:08 AM.

The Anime World
      I still don't get what you mean.

Thanks shift -
      I knew that there really isnt the old hag there. I didn't even know it was called old hag until very recently. I was trying to personify sleep paralysis.

I remember one of my first experiences with sleep paralysis, I thought Chucky (from Childs Play) was behind my back. There have been a few times that I just had the paralysis, without ever imagining any figure

I was just curious what was really causing it, and if I could somehow use it to my advantage. Or if there is something I could do to prevent it. (Like reduce the amount of caffine in my diet)

I'm new to this forum, and am trying to make sense out of what everyone is saying. But thanks for your info & help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Egypt View Post
      I still don't get what you mean.
      I just wasn't sure how many of the abbreivated terms referred to different types of dreams, and what referred to astral projection & out of body experienes.

The Anime World
      OBE (OOBE) is Out of body experience. AP is Astral Projection. The rest you referred to are Lucid Dreaming terms.

Thanks snowy - like I said in my edit, I finally understand what's going on here. I'll look around the new member thread to ask about that stuff some more.

Similar thing happened to me for the first time the other night except I think I was still in the dream. There was a shadowy figure in the corner (before this, I was in someone's house with an female accomplice. I was about to make 'a move' when there was someone at the window and it was a 'ghost' or something) and I was petrified. Couldn't move my body, I remember trying to say the 'Our Father' but I could barely move my mouth. Lasted a good 10-15 seconds

Oh and I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I had some cheese before I went to bed