• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Hot Box

Analyzing Noah's Ark and Epic of Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh and Noah, a long debated issue.

These are the similarities that the 2 stories share:

1. Flood occurs in the Mesopotamian plain.
      2. Main character is warned to build a boat to escape the flood
      3. Main character is told to save himself, his family, and a sampling of animals
      4. The boats were sealed with tar
      5. The boats came to rest on a mountain
      6. Birds were released to determine if the waters receded
      7. Main character sacrificed an offering

Differences (N)= Noah, (G)= Gilgamesh

(N)-The reason for flood was human wickedness
      (G)-The reason for flood was excessive human noisiness

(N)-Response of deity, Lord was sorry He made man because of his wickedness
      (G)-Response of deity, Gods could not sleep

(N)-Flood was warned by God
      (G)-Flood was warned by Ea

(N)-Main character is Noah or “rest”
      (G)-Main character is Utnapishtim of “finder of life”

(N)-Why Noah? Righteous man.
      (G)-Why Utnapishtim? Unmentioned

(N)-Flood was intended for all humans except for Noah and his family
      (G)-Intended for all humans

(N)-Decision to send the flood came from God
      (G)-Decision to send the flood came from council of Gods

(N)-Noah and his family built his ark
      (G)-Utnapishtim his family and many craftsmen from the city built his ark

(N)-Character’s response, Noah warned his fellow neighbours of upcoming judgement
      (G)-Character’s response, Told by Ea to lie to neighbours so that they would help him build the ark

(N)-Noah took 100 years to build his boat
      (G)-Upnapishtim took 7 days to build his

(N)-Noah’s Ark was 450x75x45 feet
      (G)-Upnapishtim’s Ark boat was 200x200x200 ( a cube that magically was buoyant)

(N)-Noah’s roof on the ark was wood
      (G)Upnapishtim’s roof on his Ark was slate (top heavy enough?)

(N)-# of decks, 3
      (G)-# of decks, 12

(N)-Humans on board- Noah and his family
      (G)-Humans on board-Utnapishtim and his family also craftsmen from thecity

(N)-Cargo- Animal’s and food
      (G)-Cargo- Animal’s, food, Jewels and other valuables

(N)-Launching- Flood water’s
      (G)-Launching- Pushed to the river

(N)-Sign of the coming flood- None
      (G)-Sign of the coming flood- Bright light sent by god Annanuki

(N)-Waters sent by God
      (G)-Waters sent by 2 god’s Nergal and Ninurta

(N)-Deity reaction- In control of waters
      (G)-Deity reaction- Gods scrambled to get away from the water like “whipped dogs”

(N)-Rained for 40 days
      (G)-Rained for 7 days

(N)-Flood lasted 260 days
      (G)-Flood lasted 14 days

(N)-Boat landed on Mt. Ararat
      (G)-Boat landed on Mt. Nisir

(N)-God did not regret what he did
      (G)-god’s regretted that they killed all the humans

(N)-Birds- Ravens returned dove returned the second time with olive branch then leaves.
      (G)-Birds- Dove returns, Swallow returns but the raven does not return

(N)-Noah offered every clean animal and bird to God
      (G)-Upnapishtim offers wine and sheep

(N)-Aftermath- God promises not to destroy humanity by flood again
      (G)-Aftermath- Gods argue with themselves, Ea lies to Enlil, Upnapishtim and wife is given immortality

(N)-Noah and his family are told to repopulate the earth
      (G)-Ea and Mami created 14 human beings to help repopulate the earth

Not so close now is it?

Similarities debunked

1)Flood occurs in the Mesopotamian plain.

Both cultures lived in the Middle East so it is not unexpected that both took place in the Mesopotamian plain.

2)Main character is warned to build a boat to escape the flood

Obviously if anyone were to survive a flood they would have to be able to escape it. Since both had no technology that could provide an airplane a boat would seem the other most logical escape. Further more if both characters were warned of the upcoming flood one would assume that a God is logically the best answer because no one could predict floods.

3)Main character is told to save himself, his family, and a sampling of animals

since the flood would have killed livestock and human it would make since to at least take some animals on board with them. They would probably want to eat while on board so it would be smart to bring food long.

4)the boats were sealed with tar

since there was no glue or other material of that nature, it would be expected that the builders of the boats would use something natural that was water resistant. Hence, it is not surprising to find that both stories recount the use of tar or other natural resin.

5)the boats came to rest on a mountain

Contrary to what you may think, the laws of physics require a wooden boat to float on top of water. Saying that the boat would reside on a mounting or a hill is not unreasonable. However, it would probably be expected that the boat would come to rest somewhere on the plains of Mesopotamia. Although superficially similar, the boats came to rest on different mountain ranges.

6) Birds were released to determine if the waters receded

As you can see above the birds in the story and what they did are much different then each other and if someone did copy the Gilgamesh story they changed the bird part significantly.

7)Main character sacrificed an offering

An act of appreciation would be expected in both stories to thank God/gods that they have spared their lives.
      Last edited by Riot Maker; 02-09-2008 at 05:40 AM.

I should be floating, but I'm weighted by thinking

widdershins modality Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze 10000 Hall Points
      Ohiopolis
      DJ Entries
      So in summary, Gilgamesh is most likely more accurate in regards to any flood event(s) that may have actually occured in the area shared by these two cultures, insofar as the timespans are more realistic, but the Jews knew more about boats (at least by the time they wrote the story down).
      If you have a sense of caring for others, you will manifest a kind of inner strength in spite of your own difficulties and problems. With this strength, your own problems will seem less significant and bothersome to you. By going beyond your own problems and taking care of others, you gain inner strength, self-confidence, courage, and a greater sense of calm.Dalai Lama

Consciousness Itself Universal Mind's Avatar
      Everywhere
      It looks to me like good grounds for a plagiarism lawsuit.
      How do you know you are not dreaming right now?

Hot Box
      Here's my summary of it.

If there was a flood it would be expected that the stories would be the same because of they time the lived in. ie, build an ark, save some animals, thanks to God/gods. But the dramtic differences in the time span of rain and flood are intriguing.

If there were other tales about a flood that occured near that time(is there? i honestly do know) i imagine they would follow the same plot as both these stories.

Thats the way i see it.
      Last edited by Riot Maker; 02-10-2008 at 05:17 AM.

not in spain
      Its amazing, the story of Noahs ark is rooted in the story of gilgamesh it seems and is just a myth. Its very scary and pathetic to see christians try to use "Science" to prove it happend.

According to christians the flood in the noahs ark story created the grand canyon.
      Some are born to sweet deleight
      Some are born to endless night

Revd Sir Stephen, Ph.D StephenT's Avatar
      Texas
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      It looks to me like good grounds for a plagiarism lawsuit.
      Christianity should be a plagiarism lawsuit.

Jesus is a Pagan.

Everywhere
      Quote Originally Posted by Riot Maker View Post
      Here's my summary of it.

If there was a flood it would be expected that the stories would be the same because of they time the lived in. ie, build an ark, save some animals, thanks to God/gods. But the dramtic differences in the time span of rain and flood are intriguing.

If there were other tales about a flood that occured near that time(is there? i honestly do know) i imagine they would follow the same plot as both these stories.

Thats the way i see it.
      They would really have screwed up on the name of the man who saved the world. Was his name Noah Gilgamesh? It seems like they would have both used his full name at some point. It would be like if a history book said the first peron to walk on the moon was Neil and another history book said his name was Armstrong. Shouldn't they both use his full name?

My other favorite difference is the fact that in one story God flooded the world because people were so evil while in the other one he flooded the world because they were too noisy. That would be a pretty big screwing up of the facts.

Hot Box
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      They would really have screwed up on the name of the man who saved the world. Was his name Noah Gilgamesh? It seems like they would have both used his full name at some point. It would be like if a history book said the first peron to walk on the moon was Neil and another history book said his name was Armstrong. Shouldn't they both use his full name?
      Why would another culture credit someone from outside their culture as a saviour, wouldn't they just give him another name and claim ther as their own? Would they even know his name? just my thoughts.

My other favorite difference is the fact that in one story God flooded the world because people were so evil while in the other one he flooded the world because they were too noisy. That would be a pretty big screwing up of the facts.
      Right, to me that just shows the sillyness of the epic of gilgamesh god argueamongst them selves is also reidue from greek mythology. Also take into account that in the gilgamesh they use holy numbers that were 12 and 7 for describing the flood length. Those holy numbers would surely be in the genesis flood account but it is not. In fine detail they are distinctly diffrent, one glare at it they look the same.

Everywhere
      Quote Originally Posted by Riot Maker View Post
      Why would another culture credit someone from outside their culture as a saviour, wouldn't they just give him another name and claim ther as their own? Would they even know his name? just my thoughts.
      It seems that the person who saved the world would be more of a heroic legend than that.

Fine detail doesn't make the story.
      Suppose I copied War of the Worlds. I could change the names of all the characters, planets and animals, all numbers in the book, and many other random details. It would still be the same story, and I still would have copied it.

So what that they used different kinds of birds? Of course someone would have changed that, else at least some of the peasant-folk might have noticed the similarities.

addicted to MTB'ing maniakalBycikle's Avatar
      on the trail
      Quote Originally Posted by dragonoverlord View Post
      Its amazing, the story of Noahs ark is rooted in the story of gilgamesh it seems and is just a myth. Its very scary and pathetic to see christians try to use "Science" to prove it happend.

According to christians the flood in the noahs ark story created the grand canyon.
      i am a Christan, and theres no way i would even consider thinking that the flood created the Grand Canyon. thats absurd.

also, so what if the stories are the same? so the person who wrote the Bible got some details wrong, (or changed it on purpose). imo its not a big deal
      LDs: 5 [ Dream Journal ]
      Goals: summon fire, epic battle, practice insane biking stuff.