• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929

      Ask me about assembly programming

      Very few people still know how to program in assembly. That's mostly reserved for low level guys where speed and small footprints are critical.

      Assembly is still used extensively in gaming, OS development, supercomputer, and embedded systems.

      I would consider myself fluent in both Intel and MIPS assembly, but not AT&T or SPARC. So if you have questions about assembly (both by itself or inline assembly in C*) ask away.

    2. #2
      peaceful warrior tkdyo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,691
      Likes
      68
      I dont have a question, but I just want to go on record saying one of my required electrical engineering classes was all assembly programming on a micro-processor and it SUUCCKKKEEEDDD, but I still got a B, lol
      <img src=http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q50/mckellion/Bleachsiggreen2.jpg border=0 alt= />


      A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does

      Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.

    3. #3
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Can you make a dancing monkey with your skills?

    4. #4
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929
      Quote Originally Posted by tkdyo View Post
      I dont have a question, but I just want to go on record saying one of my required electrical engineering classes was all assembly programming on a micro-processor and it SUUCCKKKEEEDDD, but I still got a B, lol
      Probably a MIPS processor right?

      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      Can you make a dancing monkey with your skills?
      Of course, I can put assembly into a Lego NXT Brick and make it dance.

    5. #5
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post

      Of course, I can put assembly into a Lego NXT Brick and make it dance.

    6. #6
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Posts
      330
      Likes
      2
      How much does assembly differ between processors?

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929
      The flow of the program is the same, but the instructions are usually very different.

      C:
      Code:
      a = (4 * b) + (c \ 3)
      Intel (inline):
      Code:
      mov bx, dword ptr [b]
      shr bx, 2
      mov cx, dword ptr [c]
      div cx, 3
      add cx, bx
      mov dword ptr [a], cx
      MIPS:
      Code:
      lw t1%, [b]
      shr t1%, t1%, 2
      lw t2%, [c]
      divi t2%, t2%, 3
      add t2%, t1%, t2%
      sw [a], t2%

    8. #8
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      The flow of the program is the same, but the instructions are usually very different.

      C:
      Code:
      a = (4 * b) + (c \ 3)
      Intel (inline):
      Code:
      mov bx, dword ptr [b]
      shr bx, 2
      mov cx, dword ptr [c]
      div cx, 3
      add cx, bx
      mov dword ptr [a], cx
      MIPS:
      Code:
      lw t1&#37;, [b]
      shr t1%, t1%, 2
      lw t2%, [c]
      divi t2%, t2%, 3
      add t2%, t1%, t2%
      sw [a], t2%
      I used to want to learn languages...but then I realized all it does is turn you into a user with more options.... So I quit =(

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •