• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Oslo

Is learning of different types of skills possible in LD's

I was just wondering, is it possible to learn stuff in ld's? I think i read somewhere that you have to have either seen or done the skill you want to practice in your dream, for this to be possible. That you cant simply learn yourself something new.

Example: If i train some sort of martial art, could i perfect my skill in a Lucid Dream? Do I have to know the skill, or is it enough to have seen it? I think I read something in Laberge's book on this case. Some musician had some problems with a piece at practice, and in a lucid dream some night afterwards, he played the piece perfectly.

Have anyone here on DV had a similar experience, gained some knowledge or motor skill or simply perfected a skill you already posses in a lucid dream?

Ireland
      At your example with Martial arts. If you have an LD, I don't see why you cannot keep practising in them and gain more skill.
      Quote Originally Posted by italianmonkey
      once one tried to convince me i was dead...
      (so i raped him.)
      LDs: 3

DILD(s) = 3

Third one was really short and unstable

Lucid in life! ~Existence G0MPgomp's Avatar
      I re·side [primarily] in Norway...
      Yes! You just struck the gold, of "awaken dreaming" I'd say..

Damn! I wish I got that that early. :p

(I asumme you are around 17 years.)

Anyways. I learned to skate in a ramp, in dreams. (This year.)
      And I have no second doubt about it in this reality, no more! I feel like pro!

I also heard of people learning to play instruments.

Oh, and child prodigy's? What if they knew how to do it so well, cause they also train in their sleep?

I KNOW this is a fact.

I would not dare to skate in a ramp.. But, after a few days in that dremscape, I skate like I been skating for years! (Life altering experience.)

(I knew I was dreaming, when I learned it in my dream, so I was not afraid of injury, ... as, if it got to bad, I could just go to sleep there. So I learned really fast what to do, and what not to do.) I could recall it upon wakeup... And wow!

..the possibilities are endless!

I love loving life!

If words could express how sanly good I feel right now, then this would be it!
      Last edited by G0MPgomp; 11-26-2007 at 04:42 PM.
      I know who I am, as I become...

http://terror.sintrax.net/~geir/permanent/Gif/symbol.gif

I *AM* Glyphs! Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      UCT or home - depends what time you catch me :P
      I haven't experienced it, but I also think you can learn things in a LD.
      "There are people who say there is no God, but what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views." ~Albert Einstein

Ask meWay BackYour SoulMy Dream Story (Chapter two UP!) •

Somewhere Out There
      Skilld like skiing and skating are definately possible to improve but idk about the whole musical instrument thing. Everytime I play guitar in my dream I am amazing but when I wake up I'm not any better. I would guess this is because a skill like skating involves motion and the whole body so you are training and it is just like it would be in real life. Playing the guitar is alot of finger independence and strength and not about trying things that are dangerous that you might be hesitant to do in real life. Also things such as skating you will know what the outcome will be but if you are playing guitar it seems like it would most likely not sound accurate to what you are playing (obviously alot of the basic stuff that is easily ear trained will have a better chance to, but large intervals that you do not know well irl might be wrong).

With all that said, if it was a very stable, vivid ld then possibly it could help you, plus its alot of fun to shred in dreams so why not do it. One way I think it could help is with a tough lick or phrase or solo, where you have practiced it alot and know exactly how it sounds. It could possibly make the distinctions in your mind exactly how to do it by making it more subconscious, which is the root of all musical abilities, you want to be able to do it without thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by G0MPgomp View Post

Anyways. I learned to skate in a ramp, in dreams. (This year.)
      And I have no second doubt about it in this reality, no more! I feel like pro!

I also heard of people learning to play instruments.

Oh, and child prodigy's? What if they knew how to do it so well, cause they also train in their sleep?

I KNOW this is a fact.

I would not dare to skate in a ramp.. But, after a few days in that dremscape, I skate like I been skating for years! (Life altering experience.)

(I knew I was dreaming, when I learned it in my dream, so I was not afraid of injury, ... as, if it got to bad, I could just go to sleep there. So I learned really fast what to do, and what not to do.) I could recall it upon wakeup... And wow!

..the possibilities are endless!

I love loving life!

If words could express how sanly good I feel right now, then this would be it!
      wow, this is really inspiring! I wanna try it already!

But I wonder if you feel the same gravity? I mean if it really feels like real life or when you skate in dreams you can do like huge gunts and 9000º flips? Couse that'd be cool but you woulnt be able to really practice...

Lucid in life! ~Existence G0MPgomp's Avatar
      I re·side [primarily] in Norway...
      Quote Originally Posted by polmc View Post
      wow, this is really inspiring! I wanna try it already!

But I wonder if you feel the same gravity? I mean if it really feels like real life or when you skate in dreams you can do like huge gunts and 9000º flips? Couse that'd be cool but you woulnt be able to really practice...
      It was exactly like it is here..

No doubt about it..

That is why it changed my life.. Why I did..
      Last edited by G0MPgomp; 11-26-2007 at 08:29 PM.
      I know who I am, as I become...

http://terror.sintrax.net/~geir/permanent/Gif/symbol.gif

My blessing, is my curse Shamrox's Avatar
      LD Count
      Keller Texas
      DJ Entries
      Thats pretty cool. Im a very dedicated weight lifter and have noticed lately that my muscle gains have caused me to no longer be able to run with good form. I assume my body just isnt used to the weight. When i actually try to work on my form in real life i feel retarded, maybe i could try doing this in a dream?

Oslo
      Quote Originally Posted by G0MPgomp View Post

Well, I havent had that many lucid dreams yet, and the ones I've had lasted just a couple of minutes. But when i get a better hang on this LD'ing, Im gonna try to enhance my martial art skill, and possible other things I need to practice and cant get the time to do.

Thanks for sharing youre experiences guys, I realy got the answer I wanted!

Im 25 years old btw, and also live in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by harrystamper View Post
      Well, I havent had that many lucid dreams yet, and the ones I've had lasted just a couple of minutes. But when i get a better hang on this LD'ing, Im gonna try to enhance my martial art skill, and possible other things I need to practice and cant get the time to do.

Thanks for sharing youre experiences guys, I realy got the answer I wanted!

Im 25 years old btw, and also live in Norway
      Well, Im in the same situation as you. Except that I'll try capoeira, not martial arts

Banned
      I actually tried that in college several years ago. I recieved a very interesting response.
      Instead of having an answer to what I wanted-- I was actual tested on the Trinity. The trinity is perception, conception, and will.

It puzzled me for years.

LD Count
      breathe for me
      gliding in the absolute
      I don't think so...

Because, in a lucid dream you can do anything you want, right? So for example if you were practicing a martial arts kick in a dream but were doing it wrong, you would have no idea if it was the right way or not. In real life if you tried it in the way you did it in your dream, you might become unbalanced, but in your dream you were able to do it perfectly because the kick failing or succeeding was all controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod View Post
      I don't think so...

Because, in a lucid dream you can do anything you want, right? So for example if you were practicing a martial arts kick in a dream but were doing it wrong, you would have no idea if it was the right way or not. In real life if you tried it in the way you did it in your dream, you might become unbalanced, but in your dream you were able to do it perfectly because the kick failing or succeeding was all controllable.
      Well you could practice the motion of things you've already learned...

Oslo
      Well you could practice the motion of things you've already learned...
      Thats what I'm thinking. It should be possible to practice the things you have already seen or done. Even if you cant do them in real life, you have seen how it should look/how its done.
      But ofcourse, the chance that you do it wrong is pretty big. I mean, there is nothing to tell you that you have done it wrong. You probly think you have done it right anyways, or your mind fools you to think so. But, as Laberge wrote in his books, he has come across people who have done it, and some in this thread have done it, so yeah, I think its possible. At least you can take with you the feeling of atchievement.

Wales
      I have read on many internet sites that this is possible. I have read about people who have
      used lucid dreaming to master martial arts, tennis, snowboarding, golf and other sports and people have said that it has improved their ability.

I have read many experiences so i doubt they are all lying.

DJ Entries
      nobel dreams
      Marie Curie
      i'll take everything in this life
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

River inbetween worlds Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Slovak Republic
      Well, Im in the same situation as you. Except that I'll try capoeira, not martial arts

Capoeira is cool. I just started. Except for capoeira i make karate and ju-jutsu. But capoeira is different cup of tea.

One of my lucid tasks is to create my own gym in my own town. But first. I will have to have longer lucids. . Work in progress..

great to finally speak to people on the same wavelength as me.... have given up on discussing this topic with my friends who all see it as 'new agey'
      but this was one of the exact questions i was goin to ask so glad someone else did
      further question is it possible to learn a different language through LD's???

瞑想者
      Tokyo, Japan
      This is definitely an interesting thing. I've never tried it before though, but next time I'm lucid I will definitely try. But what will I improve my skills in?.... hmm..
      夢の世界は、無制限の力である。

Banned
      An intellectual activity I would say you could definitely learn in a lucid dream, as well as martial arts. However, part of martial arts (I'm a 3rd dan) is you muscle memory, that isn't effected in lucid dreams.

I have, however, recommended to my students that they do competitions in lucid dreams, that way they've been there before and don't get nervous in front of people. Like the musician did in LaBerge's book.

california
      this is so cool, i'm definately gonna try it(lol, when i can)
      DILDS/MILDS:75 since Nov 17 2007
      WILDS:30 since Dec 30 2007
      1st basic TOTM: Dec 15, 07
      total Basic TOTMs completed:5

My blessing, is my curse Shamrox's Avatar
      LD Count
      Keller Texas
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by cleef View Post
      great to finally speak to people on the same wavelength as me.... have given up on discussing this topic with my friends who all see it as 'new agey'
      but this was one of the exact questions i was goin to ask so glad someone else did
      further question is it possible to learn a different language through LD's???
      In my humble opinion, the answer is a capital, bolded, bright red no...
      My reasoning. You would have to know the words in order for you to hear them, or have them taught to you, or study them in your LD. In that case you would already know the language.

Lamen terms: If your brain does not already know German. How could you possibly manifest the German language in your dream?

Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      An intellectual activity I would say you could definitely learn in a lucid dream, as well as martial arts. However, part of martial arts (I'm a 3rd dan) is you muscle memory, that isn't effected in lucid dreams.

I have, however, recommended to my students that they do competitions in lucid dreams, that way they've been there before and don't get nervous in front of people. Like the musician did in LaBerge's book.
      When you say 'muscle memory', you mean the braincell's connection caused by some repetitive movements (training/practing) so that it remembers the movement, or do you actually mean that the muscles itself have some sort of memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrox View Post
      In my humble opinion, the answer is a capital, bolded, bright red no...
      My reasoning. You would have to know the words in order for you to hear them, or have them taught to you, or study them in your LD. In that case you would already know the language.

Lamen terms: If your brain does not already know German. How could you possibly manifest the German language in your dream?
      Who knows? What if it is possible?

But sticking to your logic, it would still be possible. I mean not entirely, but if you chose some popular language, you must've probably heard many many words of it throughout your life. Wouldnt you be able to recall them from your subconscience in an LD?