• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

America

Clock-tick method (CTM): My WILD-assistant method

I've had around 20-30 successful WILDs in the past year or so, and I would like to share a simple advice concerning the hardest stage: Laying down in bed and trying to get to SP (sleep paralysis).

You have to get into what I call "dissociative consciousness", where you are conscious, but not fully aware of certain things, particularly your body. How is this done? For me, it's simple. Pay full-on attention to a continual, rhythmic sound like a clock's "tick tock", or the constant sound of a fan. This will allow you to forget about your body and erase all other distracting thoughts, and before you know it you will be reaching SP.

If you just lie there neutrally, I find, you will be easily distracted by things like swallowing, itches, and other nonsense. Focusing intensely on something continual and rythmic like a clock tick easily avoids all of this. And the most important thing is that it will KEEP YOU AWARE, though dissociatively.
      Last edited by CrazyInSane; 07-11-2008 at 03:07 AM.
      Stay lucid, stay WILD!

My "CAN-WILD" tutorial (created Dec. 2009)

In Your Head :O
      Hmm nice. Im gonna put a ticking watch beside my bed and try this.
      Free DreamJournal Program ~ Thanks Banhurt

1/2 man, 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Niddiboy's Avatar
      Northern Ireland
      good advice. Probably the ticket im looking for!
      Check out my new art post
      Spoiler for OPEN SPOILER FOR SOME OF MY ART STUFF!:

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

A ticking watch sounds like a plan to me.

Sound and Light
      How often do you attempt WILD's or what's your 'success rate'?

America
      Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
      How often do you attempt WILD's or what's your 'success rate'?
      My success rate would be about 85%. I don't attempt lucid dreams that often, as I work the graveyard shift and my sleeping schedule is pretty messed up (i.e. It's hard to WILD during the day with all the noise).

When I do try for it though, I find this method very successful. At first I had all the usual problems, the throat, the itches, etcetera. I found much success in the "tick tock" method (as I'll call it). I also can "chain" WILDs pretty good as well.
      Stay lucid, stay WILD!

hard to say right now
      Do you think soothing music will also help in this? or will it be too distracting?
      LD Count
      1 almost using WILD

Banned
      Ah, I was worried that my hepafilter and fan were both keeping me awake and stopping me from WILDing. Now I'll try using them and see if that helps. I've never done it before, DILD is just way more reliable for me. But I'll give it a try!

America
      Quote Originally Posted by lance_r View Post
      Do you think soothing music will also help in this? or will it be too distracting?
      I'd say it depends on what type of music. If it's music that has a consistent beat with no sudden changes, it's all good. Ex: the most clock tick-sounding song you can find HA.
      Stay lucid, stay WILD!

hard to say right now
      Quote Originally Posted by CrazyInSane View Post
      I'd say it depends on what type of music. If it's music that has a consistent beat with no sudden changes, it's all good. Ex: the most clock tick-sounding song you can find HA.
      Haha thanks i have audacity so i will actually make an MP3 of a clock ticking that i can put on repeat since i have no ticking clock
      LD Count
      1 almost using WILD

America
      Haha, sounds perfect LMAO. The reason I recommend sounds like the clock tick is because it is consistent and won't surprise you. You'll be able to pay attention to it and solely it without being disturbed or reminded that it's an external source.

I find the problem with music is you'll find yourself "waiting" for the chorus, so you can hear it and hum along to it in your head maybe. All this conscious brain activity will stave off your LD. The key is "dissociative consciousness", where you're only aware enough to notice when SP arrives.
      Stay lucid, stay WILD!

hard to say right now
      ah that makes sense thanks for all the great advice im trying to learn to WILD and i am looking for all the tips i can get.
      LD Count
      1 almost using WILD

America
      Not a problem at all. Glad to help. My advice is greatly related to Jeff777's great article, titled "How to trick your body into falling asleep ", located here:

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=42271

The key to getting to SP is to lay as still as possible and have so little conscious brain activity that your body things "OK, this guy isn't moving, isn't thinking, he must be asleep. Time for me (the body) to do the same". When SP arrives, you'll know it for sure. A sensation will take over your body, and you'll know. Let me know on your progress.
      Stay lucid, stay WILD!

hard to say right now
      Thanks alot!
      Yeah I've heard scary things about SP though but im always up to new thrills.

I'll make sure i keep you posted
      and ill start up a dream journal along with progress
      LD Count
      1 almost using WILD

Sound and Light
      you could use a metronome too....

LD Count
      Tons
      Bay Area, California
      DJ Entries
      So, you want sounds that will distract you from your body? I've heard people use ear plugs so it amplifies the rhythmic sound of their breathing and heartbeat. That would probably have the opposite effect to what you're talking about, right?

I have a ticking clock in the living room that I swear mysteriously changes its volume. Some nights it seems so loud it keeps me awake. Other nights, I can't hear it if I try. Maybe it has something to do with the air humidity or something.

I'll give this a shot, it sounds like a good idea.

America
      Hey Robot,

Yeah, the general idea of the external sound concentration is to steer attention away from your body and any possible discomfort or swallowing urges, etc. I find that as soon as I pay attention to my clock's constant tick and tock, I lose all urges to move or swallow, and I find myself getting to SP much quicker. Recently, however, I've had a stubborn cold that has my nose stuffed up so much it's insane. It's really hard to WILD with this condition. It's quite annoying as well. Also, I highly recommend NOT eating at least several hours before sleep... it really makes you stuffed up and your throat really clogged.
      Stay lucid, stay WILD!

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

Would trance music be good while doing this? I make trance songs myself and I find them rather soothing.

I have found that listening to the chirp of the crickets in my back yard make a nice ambiance. If you are cursed with loud crickets its a nice way to use them to your advantage.

i tried this with the clock the other night and i lay in the same position for literally over an hour before i fell asleep and i still didnt experience anything remotely related to sp. I found that the ticking really helped me to focus and detach myself from my body but i just couldn't fight off sleep.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by wan4gr View Post
      i tried this with the clock the other night and i lay in the same position for literally over an hour before i fell asleep and i still didnt experience anything remotely related to sp. I found that the ticking really helped me to focus and detach myself from my body but i just couldn't fight off sleep.

Any suggestions?
      Try counting out loud with every exhale until you reach about 20 or 30 then change it to a whisper till 40 or 50 and then start counting in your head, still with every exhale, until you get to the point where you cant really keep track of the counting then just focus completely on the clock. This seems to get me to the early stages of SP every time...I just have yet to move farther.