• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By zebrah

Thread: Lesson 2: DILD.

DJ Entries

Lesson 2: DILD.

If you haven't already, go read the http://www.dreamviews.com/f131/intro...llabus-115705/. And of course read, http://www.dreamviews.com/f131/lesso...eaming-115876/

In this lesson I will cover:

What is DILD
      Awareness
      Reality checks
      Triggers
      Dream signs
      Confidence

What is DILD?

DILD stands for, Dream Induced Lucid Dream. This is the most common type of lucid dream. Any dream that is not induced from waking falls under the category of DILD.

Many people have had dream induced lucid dreams before even reading the term. If you have ever woken yourself up from a nightmare or realized you were dreaming, you have had a DILD.

Like all techniques DILD has it's pros and a cons. I will list a few common points.

Pros:
      No loss of sleep.
      Easier (in my experience) to attain than WILD.

Cons:
      DILD frequency can be sporadic.
      Clarity of DILDs (in my experience) is typically worse than clarity of WILDs.

Dream Recall and Awareness are the keys to the DILD technique. You should already be keeping a dream journal. Now it's time to learn about awareness.

Awareness:
      Awareness is an amazing lucid dreaming tool. If you are constantly aware you can have lucid dreams every single night. But if you are going about your day while being minimally aware DILD will be a challenge for you. There are a few methods for increasing your daily awareness. One of these is through reality checks.
      Reality Checks:
      Reality Checks are physical or mental tests you preform to see if you are dreaming or awake. This may seem silly at first because most people know when they are awake. Although you also think you are awake in most dreams. Properly preforming reality checks will make you more aware in your waking life and dreams. This will lead to lucid dreams.

First you need choose at least one reality check. I will list a few for you.

* Looking at your hands. In dreams your hands are usually distorted and have extra fingers.

* Recalling how you got to where you are. Retrace your steps and figure out how you wound up where you are right now.

* Pinching your nose and trying to breathe through it. If you are dreaming you should be able to breathe through your nose.

* Pushing your finger into the palm of your hand. In a dream your finger can go straight through your hand.

It is possible for a reality check to pass, (you appear to be awake) in a dream. There are precautions that can be taken to avoid this.

* Pick two reality checks and do both of them when you reality check.

* When you reality check do not expect the test to pass or fail.

* Take a look at your surroundings when reality checking. See if anything is abnormal.

Remember, there is no point in doing reality checks if you do them mindlessly.

Now that you know how to reality check properly, you need to know when to reality check. There are many good times to test your world. Including, when you see a trigger, dream sign, anything unusual, and anytime you simply remember to reality check.
      Triggers:
      Triggers are things that "trigger" you to reality check. These can be many things. From going through a doorway, to seeing a red car.

Some common triggers are:

* Specific animal species

* A certain color of car

* Walking through doorways

* Getting a text, call, or email

Choose a trigger that you will see at least once a day. You will be staying alert by observing your surroundings and scanning for dream signs. This will greatly increase your awareness.
      Dream Signs:
      Dream signs are people, places, themes, plots, etc, that appear frequently in your dreams. By identifying dream signs you can be on the look out for them in your dreams and in waking life.. Whenever you see a dream sign do a reality check. This again, will lead to more observation and awareness.

You may not know any of your dream signs currently. After a week or two read through your dream journal and try to find some dream signs. If you need help ask me to look through your dream journal and try to find some dream signs. I will when I have the time.
      Confidence:
      Confidence is a massive lucid dreaming aid. If you do not have a lucid dream tonight don't let it bother you. You will have night after night to try again. Try to fall asleep with lucid dreaming on your mind. Convince yourself that you will have a lucid dream tonight.

Simply being positive will increase your lucid dream frequency.
      HOMEWORK

Your first homework assignment for this week is to choose a reality check (or two) and post your selection in your workbook. Your second assignment is to pick two triggers and post them in your workbook.

And for "extra credit" have a lucid dream
      Last edited by zebrah; 07-03-2011 at 05:43 AM.
      LucidDreams17 likes this.