• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Starting the Everyman Sleep Schedule

the oneironautilus Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made Friends on DV
      DJ Entries

Starting the Everyman Sleep Schedule

I'm starting the Everyman Sleep Schedule on Monday, 12-21-09. (I had a failed attempt at Dymaxion over the summer, so I have some idea what to expect as far as difficulties with the adjustment period). I'll have a three-hour core sleep from 12:00-3:00 and three 20 minute naps at 8:00, 14:30, and 19:00. I'm doing some basic research on sleep deprivation, to find out what the symptoms are and to know when I should be worried and stop; the adjustment period by definition involves sleep deprivation, but I want to know when it's going to far or if it's getting better. Also, it'll be interesting to have some statistics after the adjustment period, to see if I'm doing better than on monophasic.

Effects:
      -Decreased problem solving abilities
      -Hallucinations
      -depression
      -heart disease
      -hypertension
      -irritability
      -slower reaction times
      -slurred speech
      -tremors
      -weight gain
      Source: http://www.sleep-deprivation.com/art...tion/index.php

Hypertension (or high blood pressure); I can measure this one! I have a unit for measuring blood pressure levels. I'll take my blood pressure twice a day, starting the evening of 12-19-09. I found charts for what's considered normal vs. high blood pressure (based on age, etc.)
      Source: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...urechart.shtml

Weight gain; Another measurable effect, but maybe slightly more long term. I'll weigh myself once a day and record that as well. In the meantime, the site clarified that a sleep deprived person may feel hungrier without being satisfied with what they eat. This I'll pay attention to, though in the same way that I'm paying attention to depression or irritability. (Note: during my last attempt, I generally had cravings for healthier foods. Also, I was eating more often, though smaller portions. Change of diet will have to be taken into account, as well).

Slower reaction time; This should be interesting. I found some tests for determining reaction time, which I've never actually done before. There's an virtual one here; http://getyourwebsitehere.com/jswb/rttest01.html I'll test this twice a day and record the score (which is the average of 5 tries). I don't know how accurate this is going to be. I guess it's assuming my internet connection stays at about the same speed...but it'll be good to get a general idea. If anyone knows of another type of reaction test (like maybe not virtual), let me know

Hallucinations & tremors; I should be able to tell if I get these. I decided to stop my last attempt when I started to have hallucinations (it was more than two weeks into the adjustment; I figured I shouldn't be seeing the effects of sleep deprivation that late in the game). Slurred speech might be a little harder to detect (I bumble over words anyways), but if it's a strong enough effect, I'll know.

Depression & irritability; These might not be scientifically measurable, but I'll note if my mood starts to be significantly different from usual.
      Serenity and Vballplayer1941 like this.
      "When you see the shadows falling,
      When you hear that cold wind calling,
      Hold on tight to your dream."
      -ELO

Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made Friends on DV
      DJ Entries
      I'm getting one last full night's sleep, then starting in on the schedule tomorrow. I've stopped my caffine intake, started an activities list, did some more research, and found a polyphasic Google group: http://groups.google.com/group/Polyphasic . I'll join that soon, I think.

Also, I took some stats. These were taken today, while I'm still on monophasic, so it'll give me something to compare future stats against. Weight: 118.8 lbs (body fat 18.1, if that matters). Reaction time (average from the virtual test): 0.3446 seconds this morning and 0.355 this evening. Blood pressure: 123/68 & pulse 75 this morning, and 119/62 & pulse 65 this evening.

And now to sleep.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-21-09
      Slept in this morning, as planned. Then I took my first nap.

Morning stats:
      weight-118.4
      BF (body fat)-18.0
      blood pressure-109/70
      pulse-60
      reaction time-0.3426

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-110/59
      pulse-60
      reaction time-0.3452

14:30-14:50
      I actually started to fall asleep in the last two or three minutes! I know because I was surprised by that sudden "back to waking reality" feeling when my alarm went off, and I'd been seeing/hearing random stuff. This is already better than my last polyphasic attempt over the summer, where I couldn't seem to take very good naps for the first day or two.

19:00-19:20
      Drifted in and out of sleep kind of. Don't remember any dreams, but it felt like rest, at least.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-22-2009 at 12:20 PM.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-22-09
      Morning stats:
      weight-118.6
      BF-17.9
      blood pressure-113/68
      pulse-63
      reaction time-0.3376

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-118/57
      pulse-67
      reaction time- 0.3354

0:00-3:00
      Just finished my first core sleep. Definitely slept and definitely had dreams, though I don't remember them right now. I managed to fully wake up in five or ten minutes, which is a lot better than I usually do in the morning Overall, I'm feeling pretty normal so far.

8:00-8:20
      Good nap; fell asleep for the first ten minutes, which seemed to last a long time, then the second half of the nap went by really quickly. I was pretty tired right after waking up, but I just jumped out of bed and took a shower, so now I'm even more awake than I was before the nap.

Pretty non-descript nap; eventually fell asleep, but I don't remember any dreams. I was starting to feel tired between the 8:00 and 14:30 naps, but I kept myself occupied and didn't notice all that much.

Fell asleep for the first 15 minutes, woke up briefly and checked the time to make sure the alarm hadn't gone off yet, then went into a light sleep for the last 5 minutes. I have a slight headache, which generally means I'm tired and/or hungry. I'll see if it goes away after I have dinner.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-23-2009 at 05:17 AM.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-23-09
      Morning stats:
      weight-118.8
      BF-17.9
      blood pressure- 103/63
      pulse-61
      reaction time-0.2654 (I did this test on the computer at the library because my internet connection at home is down, so this probably isn't an accurate comparison to other times I took the test).

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-115/60
      pulse-69
      reaction time-0.3332

Hard to wake up, at first. Strangely enough, just the act of doing something, even though it was just cutting paper for a craft project, kept me alert. It's like it was just enough to make me forget being tired.

Slept for the first 10 minutes with light dreams, then woke up briefly and checked the time (I'm starting to notice a pattern here). Went back to sleep for the rest of the nap, almost as asleep as the first half of the nap.

Fell asleep fairly easily. Woke up to my alarm right away, but didn't hear it as distinctly as I did during my previous naps (where it seemed louder than usual).

Really tired about 40 minutes before the nap, but I actually felt perfectly normal just after it.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-24-2009 at 08:12 AM.
      -ELO

Lurker

Good luck!

Cool, I've done the everyman before while I was doing nightwatch on a tour boat. I had a good three or four hours to sleep every night then 20 minute naps throughout the day. I felt great.

It's great that you're starting it now, I'm going to try it out again starting tonight, but I haven't really planned it out very well. I'll just try jumping in.

Thanks for recording your experiences in such detail. It should be interesting if you keep it up for awhile to see how things go. I was doing some reading, and there are many people who report that they get a lot out of this sleep cycle and are putting themselves up as candidates for research. They believe more studies should be done and so do I.

So anyway! I think you should be getting up soon! Best of luck

-Braeden

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by braeden4mill View Post
      Cool, I've done the everyman before while I was doing nightwatch on a tour boat. I had a good three or four hours to sleep every night then 20 minute naps throughout the day. I felt great.

It's great that you're starting it now, I'm going to try it out again starting tonight, but I haven't really planned it out very well. I'll just try jumping in.

Thanks for recording your experiences in such detail. It should be interesting if you keep it up for awhile to see how things go. I was doing some reading, and there are many people who report that they get a lot out of this sleep cycle and are putting themselves up as candidates for research. They believe more studies should be done and so do I.

So anyway! I think you should be getting up soon! Best of luck

-Braeden
      Good luck to you, too

More studies would be great; I haven't heard of anyone being on Everyman (or Uberman) for much more than 2 years, so long term effects are still this big mystery. If I manage to adjust, I'd like to see if I can stay on Everyman for at least a year and longer if possible. The more people try polyphasic for years at a time, I think, the greater the chance of more research being done. Testimonial evidence to get researchers interested, basically.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-24-09 (day 4)
      Morning stats:
      weight-118.0 lbs
      BF-17.6
      blood pressure-111/62
      pulse-60
      reaction time-0.3370 sec

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-108/56
      pulse-67
      reaction time-0.3392

Tired for the first hour or so after waking up; the kind of tired where you have to shake your head a bit every 30 seconds to stay awake. I get this occasionally when on monophasic, and also had it almost continuously for part of my first attempt at poly. I've only gotten it once or twice so far on this attempt, though, and it seems to have gone away at the moment.

No trouble falling asleep. Really tired after this nap; the almost-falling-asleep feeling happened a lot more frequently for most of the first 2 1/2 hours after waking up, but then I went with my friend to the mall (just to eat and walk around, actually) and it helped me stay awake. Felt normal again until my next nap. I think getting out and walking around is a really good idea during the adjustment period. During my last attempt I stayed home a lot, thinking I'd be too tired to be out in public, but it's just the opposite.

Out like a light. Upon waking, it felt like one of those instant naps where there are no dreams. You know you slept, but it feels like almost no time elapsed. I feel really good, though. I was starting to feel tired around my eyes before the nap, and now they're all better. Also, I'm not worried about falling asleep if I close my eyes for a few seconds.

Another uneventful nap. Feeling at least as awake as before the last nap.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-25-2009 at 04:44 AM.
      -ELO

Dutchland , one day i'll get out of there....
      Good to see another detailed polyphasic sleep attempt , I will be watching it closely ! They are always interesting to read.

I've got a lot of questions/remarks , since you have loads of more time I hope you don't mind that .

- could you please add a day-count of the attempt after the date ? It's easier for us lazy onlookers to see when you failed (sorry , couldn't resist )
      - Is this any special time (holiday or so) why you start now , and if you would fail or the attempt would be struggeling , do you have the time or ability to keep trying / adjusting
      -What alarmclock mechanism/system are you using , what is your secondary failsave , do you like using Placebo's sleeptrack ? Now that I am used to Placebo's sleeptrack I cannot do without , think it's better then using alarm-systems because you keep switching them off without even knowing......
      -What is your reason for having your core-sleep from 0:00 -3:00 instead of just before you "begin the day".
      -Are you very worried about negative things like hallucinations and other bad physical stuff happening again since your last Dymaxion attempt. Personally I find people are a bit too worried about sleep-dep , as if you are gonna drop dead immediately or so. I mean , some people have sleep-dep problems half their life , just don't fold your car around a tree or so when driving
      - Do you have a link or reference to the person who did polyphasic sleep for two years ? Never heard of a documented case for so long.

I won't clutter your topic with my own Uberman attempt , but it is going very well , allmost too well ..... let you know how it goes further anyhow lateron, it's very interesting my different aproach , it goes against what is commonly thought about how it should be done. And that seems almost impossible....the world is full of wannabee-polyphasers who have found their own better adjustment-system , and you never hear from them again. It's simply not that easy

I really should make a new post about my own attempt , I really should , but I want to see how things go first .And if it will work out I also have to post on the google polyphasic group about my findings and my typing skills are horrible , that is why i dread it a bit. There is so much to discuss about this stuff and my communication-skills are bad , really that's why.

Wish you luck , keep resting/relaxing for your naps even when you can't fall asleep ! Let's hope you make it...

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Fligh High View Post
      Good to see another detailed polyphasic sleep attempt , I will be watching it closely ! They are always interesting to read.

I've got a lot of questions/remarks , since you have loads of more time I hope you don't mind that .

- could you please add a day-count of the attempt after the date ? It's easier for us lazy onlookers to see when you failed (sorry , couldn't resist )
      Ask away! Sure, I'll start adding a day count

-Is this any special time (holiday or so) why you start now , and if you would fail or the attempt would be struggeling , do you have the time or ability to keep trying / adjusting
      I have about a month off before classes start again (my college is on a semester system). If I fail this attempt and still have a couple more weeks left, I'd probably try again. If not, I'd wait until after the Spring semester is over before doing another attempt.

-What alarmclock mechanism/system are you using , what is your secondary failsave , do you like using Placebo's sleeptrack ? Now that I am used to Placebo's sleeptrack I cannot do without , think it's better then using alarm-systems because you keep switching them off without even knowing......
      Right now I'm just using my cell phone's alarm because that's what I've been waking up to for several months while on monophasic. I set it to go off five minutes after the first alarm just in case. During my last attempt – when I started having oversleeping problems - I had two or three separate alarms set to go off. However, if I slept through one I slept through all of them. From my experience and what I've heard, it's not so much a matter of how loud the alarm is as how tuned in you are to a specific alarm or sound.

I haven't actually looked into the sleeptrack or other soundtrack possibilities, but I will at some point. There are definitely some interesting ideas out there (more later).

-What is your reason for having your core-sleep from 0:00 -3:00 instead of just before you "begin the day".
      I guess I could have had my core sleep right before classes, but I kind of like being up at weird times like 3:00. Lots of quiet time to myself. Plus, it sounds like core sleep might be easier to oversleep than nap times.

-Are you very worried about negative things like hallucinations and other bad physical stuff happening again since your last Dymaxion attempt. Personally I find people are a bit too worried about sleep-dep , as if you are gonna drop dead immediately or so. I mean , some people have sleep-dep problems half their life , just don't fold your car around a tree or so when driving
      I'm not really worried about sleep deprivation in the sense of being afraid, more like I'm trying to monitor it. During my last attempt, if I'd had hallucinations closer to the beginning of the adjustment, I'd probably have kept going. However, it's really unclear sometimes how much is too much sleep deprivation. In that case it took the hallucinations on top of oversleeping incidents, a somewhat messed up nap schedule, and the fact that it'd been over two weeks to convince me that I wasn't adapting.

A certain amount of sleep deprivation is what kicks the body into adapting to shorter periods of sleep... but all too often it seems like people make attempts at adjusting and fail because they miss naps or take too many. Then they continue on and get more and more sleep deprived. Oversleeping incidents start happening, and this was the part I couldn't figure out; I could analyze most of the things I did wrong which led to the failure of my first attempt and think up possible solutions, but oversleeping didn't seem directly controllable. That's because oversleeping is more of an effect than a cause. If the body's tired enough, there's not much you can do to keep it from simply taking the extra sleep it wants.

So, I wanted to find out more about sleep deprivation and see if I could figure out how to avoid future oversleeping issues. What I'm having trouble with is determining where to draw the line: How sleep deprived do you have to be before it starts to be harmful? How long can you go at a certain level of sleep deprivation before it's harmful? At what point does the body override conscious decisions to wake up? I need to do more research, obviously, but in the meantime I'm getting some first hand experience.

Also I'd like to help disprove the assumption a lot of people make that being on a polyphasic sleep schedule long term would have negative, sleep dep related effects. I think I can do this by testing myself in what small ways I can, documenting how the schedule affects me mentally and physically, and trying to stay on it for several years continuously. (On a side note, on monophasic I feel like I need at least 10 hours of sleep every night, but I rarely get that. As a result, I'm always at least a little sleep deprived to begin with. I think I'd actually do better on polyphasic because I'd be getting enough sleep every day for that particular sleep schedule.)

- Do you have a link or reference to the person who did polyphasic sleep for two years ? Never heard of a documented case for so long.
      Buckminster Fuller, the person who invented Dymaxion, was said to have kept the schedule for 2 years before his work life made it impossible. Also, Puredoxyk has been on Everyman for 3 and ½ years (I was wrong, 2 years isn't the longest time after all). http://www.puredoxyk.com/index.php/p...-sleep-portal/

Maybe a few other people, too. Possibly this blog by aximilation: http://blog.aximilation.com/ . I only just found it, so haven't even read much yet, but I saw a comment somewhere where the author said they were approaching three years on polyphasic.
      -ELO

LD Count
      Arizona
      my friend stayed awake for over 73 hours and basically started tripping balls.
      Law abiding citizen by day, breaking the laws of reality by night.
      "How can you be aware that you're dreaming, if you're never aware that you're awake?"

Lurker
      Glad to hear it's going well. You sound committed. I'm on Day 2 I now. I just woke up from 3 hours. For the first five minutes I couldn't remember what I had thought was good about this way of sleeping, or being awake, but now my pace has quickened a little; I don't feel quite so lethargic and tired. I've got a bit of tea and am going to head out for a walk and do some last minute wrapping. It is nice having extra time.

DJ Entries
      12-25-09 (day 5)
      Morning stats:
      weight-120 (note: I ate a bagel three hours before taking stats; first full breakfast meal I've taken that early. i guess I'm starting to want food once every waking cycle).
      BF-18.1
      blood pressure-110/56
      pulse-69
      reaction time-0.505 (note: first time my reaction time has been this slow; before it's always been between .3 and .4 seconds. I think this reflects my level of tiredness pretty well.)

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-112/60
      pulse-64
      reaction time-0.3284

Had a bunch of dreams during core sleep. I also woke up naturally just after 1:30, which probably helped me remember more. All in all, felt like a full night of sleep, albeit a somewhat confused one. After waking up at 3:00, I felt plenty awake and "normal" for the first half hour, but I'm starting to get the almost falling-asleep-every-10-seconds feeling again.

Somehow managed to stay awake until nap time. Pretty much the only time I felt like it was possible to stay awake was when I was taking apart a metal shelf structure for my mom. So, when that tired, passive stuff like sitting around relaxing or reading doesn't work, and neither does stuff that takes a lot of thought, such as writing, research, or new science/math information. So far the activities that work like miracles are things like craft projects, simple chores, home-improvement projects, and walking around outside. Talking to people about interesting topics helps, too. Anyways, I took the nap and fell asleep instantly. I think I even had dreams.

Before this nap, I went on a short hike with my roomate. Then I kept busy when I got home (helping family cook & clean), so I stayed pretty awake. The nap itself was pretty uneventful, but I was pretty tired after waking up. Kept busy again and it wasn't so bad.

Felt really good after this nap. No trouble falling asleep or waking up.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-26-2009 at 08:17 AM.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-26-09 (day 6)
      Morning stats:
      weight-119
      BF-20.1
      blood pressure-120/63
      pulse-69
      reaction time-0.3126

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-118/62
      pulse-67
      reaction time-0.3326

Slept well and didn't have any trouble staying awake until the next nap; for once awake time seemed to go by pretty quickly. Also, I'm starting to want a light breakfast-type meal around 4:00 or 5:00.

A really refreshing nap. First time so far I've been happy waking up, lol.

14:20-14:50
      Played music and composed. I had a headache a bit earlier, but it went away mostly soon after I had dinner.

19:10-19:30
      Took this nap ten minutes late because I got distracted (music does that). Time to start paying attention to not being late for naps; up until now I've had plenty of motive to keep checking the clock. Now, I'm occasionally having periods of waking time when I feel perfectly normal. Such as after this 19:10 nap.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-27-2009 at 12:58 PM.
      -ELO

Ill be following your updates.
      Its good of you to share your records.

I failed at the uberman schedule a few times.

Dutchland , one day i'll get out of there....
      Nautilus , I am quite amazed your naps go so well , it reminds me of my first attempt at uberman this summer. For the first 5 days I had little trouble falling asleep for most of my naps in fact I thought "wow this is really not that difficult after all" And then onwards everything that could go wrong went wrong.

I hope you fare better , you seem really committed but be vigilant , it comes like a thief in the night when you least expect it...

If it should go not so well in the future , have you thought about trying Uberman (because adaption if you make it goes somewhat quicker it seems) and then falling back to your Everyman schedule as a possible option ? At googlegroups-polyphasic they say this works quite well.

I asked you for a link or reference for someone who had done polyphasic sleep for two years , sorry about that , I meant something different and stated the question wrong. I am obviously in a Uberman state of mind (or unknown sleep-deprived ) so I hoped you had found a nap-only person who had done it for two years on Uberman , apperently no one that was documented apart from Buckminster on Dymaxion , made it yet that far.
      Half a year at the most (Steve Pavlina) and Aya Hu nearing that. Life schedule-management seems to be the reason for it , Uberman is only for really strange people lol.

Happy napping

DJ Entries
      @JamesLD: That gives me an idea. Do you know how long it was before your friend started hallucinating? It might be interesting to compare the effects of no sleep vs. the cases of hallucinations (and other sleep deprivation signs) in polyphasic attempts and see what the difference in time is before the effects start showing.

@braeden4mill: I hope the adjustment phase is still going well. The first five or ten minutes after waking up are always hard for me, just like any day on monophasic apart from not being able to hit the snooze button twenty times like I want to. The extra time is awesome! My next semester is going to be just like the last as far as workload goes, except that an uninterrupted five hour chunk of time has appeared.

@beizebopp: Thanks for reading

Nautilus , I am quite amazed your naps go so well , it reminds me of my first attempt at uberman this summer. For the first 5 days I had little trouble falling asleep for most of my naps in fact I thought "wow this is really not that difficult after all" And then onwards everything that could go wrong went wrong.

I hope you fare better , you seem really committed but be vigilant , it comes like a thief in the night when you least expect it...
      Yeah, so far day 4 and part of day 5 are the only times I thought it was extremely hard to stay awake. Other than that, this attempt's been going so well it almost makes me nervous. During my last attempt, some of the oversleeping occurred right after times when I felt totally awake. And thoughts like "I'm just going to sit here and close my eyes for a little bit" are definitely not to be trusted

If it should go not so well in the future , have you thought about trying Uberman (because adaption if you make it goes somewhat quicker it seems) and then falling back to your Everyman schedule as a possible option ? At googlegroups-polyphasic they say this works quite well.
      That could be an option, provided I have enough time to try it. That's similar to what I did for Dymaxion; I started out adjusting to Uberman, then transitioned to longer periods between naps, since a lot of people had trouble staying awake for the 6 hours and had worse oversleeping problems than with Uberman. (The only difference from Uberman was that I took 30 minute naps instead of 20. I found out the hard way that this was a mistake).

On a side note, I wonder if the reason Dymaxion is so hard to adjust to is that we're coming at it from a totally different approach than Buckminster Fuller? He came up with the schedule by sleeping whenever he felt tired, then noting the pattern. That doesn't sound like a difficult, sleep deprived adjustment. Plus, maybe if different people tried the experiment that way, they'd find patterns specific to their bodies.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-27-09 (day 7)
      Morning stats:
      weight-119.4
      BF-18.2
      blood pressure-113/66
      pulse-69
      reaction time-0.3164

I realized that most the time, core sleep feels almost like any other nap, only with more dreams (which are all still vague at the moment). Anyway, I feel pretty good, tired only if I think about it. Otherwise I shouldn't have any trouble.

8:00-9:03
      Overslept At least it was because I set my alarm for the wrong hour, and not because I slept through it... I don't seem affected by the oversleeping yet, we'll see in the next day or two.

Someone with the wrong number kept calling me during the last five minutes of my nap, but other than that it went well.
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-28-2009 at 03:47 AM.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-27-09 (day 7) continued
      Evening stats:
      blood pressure-115/70
      pulse-84
      reaction time-0.3404

Pretty good nap, might have had dreams.

12-28-09 (day 8)
      Morning stats:
      weight-120
      BF-18.4
      blood pressure-113/62
      pulse-69
      reaction time-0.3232

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-110/66
      pulse-77
      reaction time-0.3324

Good core sleep and no trouble staying up during this waking cycle. Didn't want a ton of breakfast this time, but I always seem to need at least a little something.

Nap went well, fell asleep really easily. Didn't want to get up, though. Did anyway, after sitting there feeling sorry for myself for five or ten minutes Took a shower, which helped.

Got really tired trying to work on a writing/research project. Maybe not the strongest, but certainly the most persistent "go to sleep" signals my body's sent me in either polyphasic attempt. When it got to the point where it took me 10 minutes to write a sentence, I called it quits. Went for a walk in the park and felt instantly normal. Very strange; total zombie staring at my computer trying to write, perfectly fine walking around and talking to my friend.

Sounds like me on an average day of monophasic, only more extreme. I've kept it together though, so far, without any major set-backs. Made it through the first week! That's at least 1/4 of the way toward being adjusted, if I do it right.

Had some nice relaxing images in my mind as I fell asleep because my roomate and I had just come from the park, with trees and a creek and the sound of rain lightly falling everywhere. Slept soundly until my alarm went off. For once didn't feel like hitting the snooze. Much.

Woke up after the first 10 minutes and just couldn't get my head around the thought that I hadn't been asleep for hours. (Went back to sleep for the remaining 10 minutes and woke up feeling pretty close to "normal").
      Last edited by nautilus; 12-29-2009 at 06:16 AM.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-29-09 (day 9)
      Morning stats:
      weight-120.4
      BF-18.8
      blood pressure-117/68
      pulse-76
      reaction time-0.3124

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-106/67
      pulse-74
      reaction time-0.2870

Woke up somewhat easier than usual. Don't remember if I had dreams.

Harder to get out of bed; sat there for quite a while before finally getting up. I definitely need to remember to get up right away, because it makes things a lot easier. The good news is that I didn't get very tired during this awake period, which is when I usually do.

Felt rested after this nap. I wasn't as hungry as usual today, but I still made sure to eat something during each awake period.

Nap went smoothly. Took a walk with my roomate, which always helps to wake up (I've been getting outside a lot more lately, which is good in itself).
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-30-09 (day 10)
      Morning stats:
      weight-120.2
      BF-18.7
      blood pressure-107/63
      pulse-76
      reaction time-0.3314

Evening stats:
      N/A; couldn't take because I was on an overnight trip.

0:00-7:00
      First major oversleep incident. I woke up from my core sleep 4 hours later than I was supposed to. I found my phone by the side of the bed, when usually I leave it closer to my head so I can hear it go off more clearly. I know both alarms I'd set had gone off because they'd been cleared, presumably in my sleep.

Slept fairly well. Left on a short trip with my roomate to visit my uncle. I'll be able to get all nap times in on schedule.

Had a little bit of trouble falling asleep for this nap, but finally did. Afterward, it felt like even the bit of time I'd napped was a long time. Went for a hike with my uncle and roomate. Went down by a river where I tried to skip stones

Took my 19:00 nap, which came really easily, then we went for a walk, played a lot of air hockey (whoohoo!) and had ice cream on the way home. The good news is that I haven't felt tired all day, except starting around 23:00.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      12-31-09 (day 11)
      Morning stats:
      N/A (still on trip)

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-95/54
      pulse-71
      reaction time-0.3266

0:00-4:00
      Another oversleeping incident, but this time only by an hour. I remember waking up from some pretty intense dreams, but don't remember what they were now. My roomate asked me to wake her up at 5:30, and we walked to a beach with a lighthouse to watch the sunrise.

8:10-8:30
      Came back from the lighthouse and took a nap. Got a little tired when reading the morning comics, but took a shower, which woke me up mostly. Still felt a little tired, except when walking around.

14:25-14:45
      Took this nap five minutes early; slept on the bus home. It was actually easier than I thought it would be.

Definitely easy to fall asleep this time. Kept wanting to go back to sleep, but got up instead and went out to dinner with my mom, then came back and watched a movie. First time it's been hard to stay awake until midnight

Happy New Year everyone!
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      1-1-10 (day 12)
      Morning stats:
      weight-122
      BF-19.4
      blood pressure-110/63
      pulse-65
      reaction time-0.2836

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-124/55
      pulse-75
      reaction time-0.3034

Woke up to my alarm right away. Didn't even think about wanting to sleep in. I now tend to get hungry around 6:00. Also, I've been trying to adjust my meals and other habits (brushing teeth, drinking water, etc.) so that it works with the new schedule. If I do it right, I may actually wind up with better habits than when I started

Had an all-right nap. I was kind of tired and didn't really want to do much for the first couple of hours after waking up. Then I got on my feet and started cooking "boeuf bourguignon" for my mom's birthday today.

I was definitely ready for this nap; I fell asleep really easily. Took me about half an hour afterwards to feel awake, though.

Slept well and I was more awake after that nap. Watched part of a movie (stayed awake even though it was a kind of slow-paced movie) and had dinner around 22:00.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      1-2-10 (day 13)
      Morning stats:
      weight-120.5
      BF-18.7
      blood pressure-114/63
      pulse-66
      reaction time-0.2990

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-113/65
      pulse-72
      reaction time-0.2580

0:00-4:40
      Gah! Overslept by an hour and 40 minutes. It's always the core sleep. At least I don't feel extra tired...then again, being more awake due to oversleeping might just mean I'm not adjusting as well. The good news is that I remember bits of a dream and that I woke up naturally.

Actually had dreams I could remember! And that was within a 10 or 15 minute time interval (woke up during part of the nap). It sure felt like a lot longer. There was a lot to the dream, but I remember most clearly a part where I was wandering the halls of some building with a skillet, wondering if people would think it strange. They didn't. They had skillets too. Then I needed to find a dishwasher, which I did... Anyway, that was the clearest nap dream fragment I've had so far.

Good nap; felt really awake afterwards.

I was actually surprised this nap came so soon; I was energized enough to think I had several more hours. No trouble falling asleep or waking up, though. Went by pretty quickly.
      -ELO

DJ Entries
      1-3-10 (day 14)
      Morning stats:
      weight-122
      BF-19.5
      blood pressure-123/66
      pulse-73
      reaction time-0.2580

Evening stats:
      Erm...forgot to take evening stats today.

0:00-5:00
      Overslept. I know I woke up at 3:00 for sure, but I must have fallen right back asleep because I woke up again just after 5:00. The back up alarm hadn't been cleared, so I must have slept through that one.

Two weeks into the attempt now, and despite the oversleeps, they don't seem to be affecting me too badly...at least, I haven't seen any symptoms like last time, yet, and my stats are not alarming. Decision day for whether I'll continue or not is the 17th of this month, giving me two days before classes to return to monophasic if I fail. That's two more weeks from now, and I still have high hopes.

Wasn't too tired, but had no trouble falling asleep. Didn't get up and get active like I usually try to do, but I stayed awake without difficulty nevertheless.

Pretty good nap. Hard time getting up, though.

This nap went really well. Felt pretty long... though I don't remember whether I had dreams or not.

1-4-10 (day 15)
      Morning stats:
      weight-121.6
      BF-19.1
      blood pressure-110/70
      pulse-96
      reaction time-0.2834

Evening stats:
      blood pressure-120/62
      pulse-73
      reaction time-0.3012

Woke up easily! That felt good. I may have had some bits of dreams, but I'm not sure.

I had an amazing amount of dream recall from this nap! Time to get serious with my dream journal again Did start getting really tired for a couple hours, but luckily my mom, my roomate and I went to the park. Ran, played basketball, had lunch, etc. Once again, didn't think twice about being tired the instant I got out of the house and did physical activity.

Definitely ready for this nap. So far the trend seems to be an oversleeping risk for core sleep and a bit more tiredness between the previous nap time and this one.

Started to want to nod off half an hour before this nap, which wasn't too bad...Feeling much more awake now, although I'm hungry.
      -ELO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast