• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      imj
      imj is offline
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      singapore
      Posts
      1,209
      Likes
      13

      Reality Checks and OCD don't mix well..:(

      Hi, just something I have been going through since I started doing reality checks. I may have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and it ain't funny when U got it. So whenever I do checks during the day....my mind will be obsesive about it and it is a real strain to be always vigilant to do the next reality check....I'm sure there are lucid dreamers with OCD and may have found a way to solve this OCD issue of mine. Anybody has any suggestions? OCD people and non-OCD people....

      IMJ

    2. #2
      Dark Flapper Barns's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Gender
      Location
      East London
      Posts
      518
      Likes
      2
      Do you mean you are doing reality checks all the time?

      If so, then it can probably be dealt with like any other OC
      <a href=http://imageshack.us target=_blank rel=nofollow><img src=http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8039/finalfishtl6.png border=0 alt= /></a>Beware of hitchhiking fish

    3. #3
      DV's Vexiest Vex Kitten's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      3,507
      Likes
      16
      Have the RCs helped you to become lucid yet?

    4. #4
      imj
      imj is offline
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      singapore
      Posts
      1,209
      Likes
      13
      Quote Originally Posted by Barns View Post
      Do you mean you are doing reality checks all the time?

      If so, then it can probably be dealt with like any other OC
      No, I can't do it all the time...it will drive me crazy. I only do it a few times but even so when I try to stop the urge to do....it's quite difficult and straneous. So nowadays I only do them very near to sleep or not at all.

      imj

    5. #5
      imj
      imj is offline
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      singapore
      Posts
      1,209
      Likes
      13
      Quote Originally Posted by Vex Kitten View Post
      Have the RCs helped you to become lucid yet?
      I'd say not really...because even though I did the RC when I see my dreamsign...I still miss it in the dream. So now I stop it entirely because even that also creates a strain having to look out for that dreamsign... Most of my lucids are from impresions of what a reality check is. Like if I did a few checks before bed, there will be an impresion depending on how big the reality check is...big as in series/set of different checks not just one check.

      IMJ
      Last edited by imj; 02-20-2008 at 06:23 PM.

    6. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Posts
      7
      Likes
      0
      I have OCD, albeit not very badly. I found myself in the same situation as you however since then my OCD has gotten a bit better since I learnt to try and control myself. I used to wash my hands constantly, make sure doors/drawers were closed and I too was afraid that I may also make a habit out of RC's. Fortunately I'm able to control myself a bit now, I don't really have any advice. The only thing I could say is try and control yourself, start with little things however that is MUCH MUCH easier said than done. I don't think my case is as bad as yours.

    7. #7
      Member james-25:22pm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      481
      Likes
      2
      I have no idea about the how it is to actually live with OCD....but heres an idea (please shoot it down, if its garbage).

      Maybe do like 10 proper, focused and thoughtful reality checks every day for a week.

      Then after the week do 6 or something whilst awake....and go to sleep knowing you have 4 more to do?

      Not worrying that you havent done them...just KNOW you havent done them YET!

      Quality LD's: 16

    8. #8
      ...but I digress MrBeelzy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Location
      'toon town
      Posts
      242
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by imj View Post
      Hi, just something I have been going through since I started doing reality checks. I may have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and it ain't funny when U got it. So whenever I do checks during the day....my mind will be obsesive about it and it is a real strain to be always vigilant to do the next reality check....I'm sure there are lucid dreamers with OCD and may have found a way to solve this OCD issue of mine. Anybody has any suggestions? OCD people and non-OCD people....

      IMJ
      I'm confused as to what you mean. To me the bolded part implies that you are really just obsessing over reality checks and being worried that you will miss opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, one thing that you can do is get a watch that has an alarm that goes off every hour or so, and do a reality check when it beeps. You could also write yourself a note in your bathroom, or on your door, or in your notes if you are a student. These are ways of remaining more passive, and not having to focus on being so vigilant.

      OCD can seriously suck, but it has become far to trendy to associate it with people who are meticulous, or a little neurotic. When these thoughts begin to interfere with your life, then it becomes a problem. If they manifest in compulsions that you must act out in order to avoid serious discomfort then you might want to seek help. Seriously, most people who say they have OCD don't and are self-diagnosed, and it is borderline offensive to people who struggle with it.

    9. #9
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Posts
      107
      Likes
      2
      This is easier said than done, but..

      1) Say no to your compulsion, and really reject it ever happening. Say you refuse to do it.

      2) Right after, ignore the whole situation so it doesn't bother you.

      This works if you have strong willpower, it helped me of course.

    10. #10
      imj
      imj is offline
      Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      singapore
      Posts
      1,209
      Likes
      13
      Quote Originally Posted by MrBeelzy View Post
      I'm confused as to what you mean. To me the bolded part implies that you are really just obsessing over reality checks and being worried that you will miss opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, one thing that you can do is get a watch that has an alarm that goes off every hour or so, and do a reality check when it beeps. You could also write yourself a note in your bathroom, or on your door, or in your notes if you are a student. These are ways of remaining more passive, and not having to focus on being so vigilant.

      OCD can seriously suck, but it has become far to trendy to associate it with people who are meticulous, or a little neurotic. When these thoughts begin to interfere with your life, then it becomes a problem. If they manifest in compulsions that you must act out in order to avoid serious discomfort then you might want to seek help. Seriously, most people who say they have OCD don't and are self-diagnosed, and it is borderline offensive to people who struggle with it.
      I basically obsess about anything that is important to me or that is critical.... Fear of it not working because I din't do enough or that I missed one or two checks when i see my dreamsign. I really think I do have it because I also check many times with data like numbers or info. It's more of a discomfort of doing the checks than not doing.....because when I do them my mind gets all obsessed that I may be dreaming and I get mentally exhausted like it's not convinced that I am not dreaming.

      imj
      Last edited by imj; 02-21-2008 at 12:44 PM.

    11. #11
      Mostly Absent
      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Posts
      374
      Likes
      2
      imj, I made a post a while back about this same topic. I would start a normal regimen of RCs, then start doing them more and more often ("more is better," right?) until I was doing them almost perpetually, hardly ending one check before wanting to double-check and do another one. And I started always doubting whether I'm performed them clearly enough, or with enough intent, making me want to take longer on each one until I'd felt that I'd really "gotten" that I wasn't in a dream rather than making the motions. It's really a consuming cycle, and it's ruined RCs for me. They've never helped me in lucidity (not that much has) and have just made my waking hours an obsessive hell when I've bothered with them.

      You may either want to keep yourself to a very strict limit of some sort (do ONE check only every hour (use a watch timer, maybe?)) or just give up RCs; they're not for everyone. Try focusing more on WILD induction or other non-RC methods.
      Adopted by Richter

    12. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      177
      Likes
      0
      I have OCD and i found that if i set a plan like RC every 30mins or something bad will happen i do. And i use it as a way to assure im 100&#37; me. Mental thing if ur not me u probly wont under stand.

    13. #13
      Member Captain Sleepalot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Here.
      Posts
      591
      Likes
      4
      I would say if it is getting to the point where RCs are becoming an obsession/compulsion, then drop it immediately because there are other ways to become lucid.

      I would just hate to see it turn into something stressful for you, which it sounds like it is.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •