• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 9 of 9
    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929

      Messages subliminaux en franÁais

      A while ago I said that I would make a subliminal message mp4 for french speaking dreamers. Well tomorrow I have the time, but I have a question first. 'Lucid' isn't a common word so I didn't know it's translation off the top of my head and when I looked it up I found that it's one of those weird adverbs that can go bother before and after the main verb. Which is correct?

      Je lucide reve / vous lucide revez

      or

      Je reve lucide / vous revez lucide

    2. #2
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1112
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      A while ago I said that I would make a subliminal message mp4 for french speaking dreamers. Well tomorrow I have the time, but I have a question first. 'Lucid' isn't a common word so I didn't know it's translation off the top of my head and when I looked it up I found that it's one of those weird adverbs that can go bother before and after the main verb. Which is correct?

      Je lucide reve / vous lucide revez

      or

      Je reve lucide / vous revez lucide
      Neither of those seem correct to me (allthough the 2nd one is definately better syntaxically), I would say "Avoir un rÍve lucide" or "J'aurai un rÍve lucide", something like that...

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929
      I was using dream as a verb. Rever? It's a noun? Man, I haven't spoken french in a while. 'J'ai un reve lucide' would translate to I have a lucid dream. That's what I should say: 'J'ai des reves lucide' and 'Vous avez des reves lucide'. I definitely don't want it in the future tense.

    4. #4
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1112
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      I was using dream as a verb. Rever? It's a noun? Man, I haven't spoken french in a while. 'J'ai un reve lucide' would translate to I have a lucid dream. That's what I should say: 'J'ai des reves lucide' and 'Vous avez des reves lucide'. I definitely don't want it in the future tense.
      It's both a noun and a verb, just that "je rÍve lucide" isn't something you would normally hear. Could you give me the context of the sentence? "J'ai des rÍves lucides" doesn't sound right either, it implies dream as a goal or an ambition (instead of its proper sense).

    5. #5
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      I think it might have to do with the fact that when we say "Lucid Dreaming", there's a grammatical glitch. I think instead of "I am lucid dreaming", it might be more grammatically correct in a conventional sense to say, "I am lucidly dreaming". Then, the French translation software should pick up the adverb and say "lucidement". I'm not sure how they actually refer to LD in French though. Maybe there's a colloquialism of sorts.

    6. #6
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1112
      Quote Originally Posted by Replicon View Post
      I think it might have to do with the fact that when we say "Lucid Dreaming", there's a grammatical glitch. I think instead of "I am lucid dreaming", it might be more grammatically correct in a conventional sense to say, "I am lucidly dreaming". Then, the French translation software should pick up the adverb and say "lucidement". I'm not sure how they actually refer to LD in French though. Maybe there's a colloquialism of sorts.
      A lucid dream in French is "un rÍve lucide".

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate View Post
      A lucid dream in French is "un rêve lucide".
      That's right, but how would you translate "I am lucid dreaming"? It's definitely not "Je reve lucide"

      I think they mostly avoid it and say "J'ai fait un reve lucide" or somesuch.

      @OP LD from french wikipedia: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%AAve_lucide

      There should be plenty of terminology you can use in there.
      Last edited by Replicon; 11-30-2007 at 06:08 AM.

    8. #8
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929
      I don't to say 'I am lucid dreaming", simply "I lucid dream." My subliminal message MP4s are autosuggestive, not for during sleep.

    9. #9
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1112
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      I don't to say 'I am lucid dreaming", simply "I lucid dream." My subliminal message MP4s are autosuggestive, not for during sleep.
      "Je fais des rÍves lucides" or "J'ai des rÍves lucides" probably make the most sense.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •