• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 30
    1. #1
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2

      Why doesn't anyone release a Linux that doesn't have shit for fonts

      Seriously, this boggles the mind. Why do all the popular Linux distributions come with absolute SHIT for fonts? Why does my Google look like crap, why??? Why don't they release a version that comes with DECENT nice sharp fonts that look like Windows. Why don't they release an easy to install package that fixes this issue? All the important Windows fonts are freely available. I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste my time on something so essential to an OS.

      If Windows came out with disastrous deficiencies like this, they would HAVE to fix it and they WOULD. Nobody would consider this blurry excuse for fonts acceptable and nobody would find it acceptable to be expected to fix something so essential themselves.

      Also, why is there no option to change the scrolling speed of the mouse wheel in GNOME, but in KDE there is one? Again, this is ESSENTIAL. With shit like this missing Linux is nowhere near desktop-ready for my tastes.

      Why can't I have rectangular windows and a simple grey/white/black/blue theme? I hate rounded windows.

      Why do I have to molest the terminal to set up a standard PPPoE connection? Why are there dialogs for all sorts of unneeded features but no easy way to setup my INTERNET? WHYY????

      I mean I like all the positive aspects of Linux as much as everybody else but if I have to spend hours digging through Google and molesting the terminal before everything is usable, I'd much rather just stick with Windows. It takes 10 minutes longer to install and it actually works.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    2. #2
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      omg but you forgot that windows sucks, lol

    3. #3
      Member Tyler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,587
      Likes
      36
      No it doesnt.
      This shit never happens to me

    4. #4
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      Linux is the greatest operating system known to man and if you don't think so too your retarded.

    5. #5
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      386
      Quote Originally Posted by Korittke View Post
      Seriously, this boggles the mind. Why do all the popular Linux distributions come with absolute SHIT for fonts? Why does my Google look like crap, why??? Why don't they release a version that comes with DECENT nice sharp fonts that look like Windows. Why don't they release an easy to install package that fixes this issue? All the important Windows fonts are freely available. I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste my time on something so essential to an OS.

      If Windows came out with disastrous deficiencies like this, they would HAVE to fix it and they WOULD. Nobody would consider this blurry excuse for fonts acceptable and nobody would find it acceptable to be expected to fix something so essential themselves.

      Also, why is there no option to change the scrolling speed of the mouse wheel in GNOME, but in KDE there is one? Again, this is ESSENTIAL. With shit like this missing Linux is nowhere near desktop-ready for my tastes.

      Why can't I have rectangular windows and a simple grey/white/black/blue theme? I hate rounded windows.

      Why do I have to molest the terminal to set up a standard PPPoE connection? Why are there dialogs for all sorts of unneeded features but no easy way to setup my INTERNET? WHYY????

      I mean I like all the positive aspects of Linux as much as everybody else but if I have to spend hours digging through Google and molesting the terminal before everything is usable, I'd much rather just stick with Windows. It takes 10 minutes longer to install and it actually works.
      Ubuntu has all of the default Microsoft Fonts that I think you're talking about.

      Just use this in the Terminal:
      Code:
      $sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
      and then either log out or reload the cache.

    6. #6
      Member Tyler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,587
      Likes
      36
      @ Grod : watch who you call retarded. I've never tried Linux, but i have windows and it works fine.
      This shit never happens to me

    7. #7
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      windows is really gay.

    8. #8
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      386
      Quote Originally Posted by Grod View Post
      windows is really gay.
      + 100

    9. #9
      Member Tyler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,587
      Likes
      36
      How so?
      This shit never happens to me

    10. #10
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      its just really stupid and its not linux so

    11. #11
      Member Tyler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,587
      Likes
      36
      Is that the kind of reasoning you always use?
      This shit never happens to me

    12. #12
      FBI agent Ynot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Location
      Southend, Essex
      Posts
      4,337
      Likes
      14
      and grod has been possessed....

      if you have an LCD, enable sub-pixel smoothing
      CRT naturally bleeds sharp edges, while lcd's don't
      so fonts can look jagged
      sub-pixel smooting will fill out the lines, making them less jagged
      (it's the font equivalent of anti-aliasing)

    13. #13
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      3,651
      Likes
      4

    14. #14
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      you guys like winDUMB

    15. #15
      Member Tyler's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      1,587
      Likes
      36
      You still havent answered my question Grod
      This shit never happens to me

    16. #16
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      facepalm.jpg

    17. #17
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      1. You guys don't get it. What kind of operating system is it that requires me to adjust all kinds of stuff only to make it not look like AIDS. Windows and Mac look fine out of the box, they don't even require this stupid font smoothing dialog, it just WORKS.

      2. I tried all that, it makes no difference. You actually have to change all kinds of other things, like go into xconf and set the DPI manually by dividing your pixel-count by 25.4 or something stupid like that. X11 is basically a log of shit when it comes to font rendering. Yeah, the Windows fonts got installed and worked but they still look like shit. This is shit. Also, the fonts don't show up the same way as in Windows, especially when they're small. Windows font rendering is superior.

      3. The point is: I generally like Linux but why do they have to fuck it up with things like this? It installs fine, it's fast. I'd love to use it on a sub-notebook but not with all these nonsensical issues.
      Last edited by Serkat; 06-04-2008 at 11:42 PM.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    18. #18
      FBI agent Ynot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Location
      Southend, Essex
      Posts
      4,337
      Likes
      14
      Fableflame
      look back over Grod's previous posts (Tech forum, mostly)

      there was an abrupt change about 3 months ago
      Why? I don't know
      maybe he had a head injury

    19. #19
      Worst title ever Grod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      LD Count
      breathe for me
      Gender
      Location
      gliding in the absolute
      Posts
      3,550
      Likes
      194
      I'm joking Ynot



      mostly

    20. #20
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      386
      Quote Originally Posted by Korittke View Post
      1. You guys don't get it. What kind of operating system is it that requires me to adjust all kinds of stuff only to make it not look like AIDS. Windows and Mac look fine out of the box, they don't even require this stupid font smoothing dialog, it just WORKS.

      2. I tried all that, it makes no difference. You actually have to change all kinds of other things, like go into xconf and set the DPI manually by dividing your pixel-count by 25.4 or something stupid like that. X11 is basically a log of shit when it comes to font rendering. Yeah, the Windows fonts got installed and worked but they still look like shit. This is shit. Also, the fonts don't show up the same way as in Windows, especially when they're small. Windows font rendering is superior.
      Fonts look fine if not better on my Ubuntu box... At least the .ttf I created does.

    21. #21
      FBI agent Ynot's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Location
      Southend, Essex
      Posts
      4,337
      Likes
      14
      Quote Originally Posted by Grod View Post
      I'm joking Ynot
      yes, and I was joking about the head injury




      mostly

    22. #22
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by Seismosaur View Post
      Fonts look fine if not better on my Ubuntu box... At least the .ttf I created does.
      Well, on mine they look like someone sat on it. The same problem I had with a CRT as well. And other people as well. I already tried Debian, Ubuntu and SuSe where I had Debian for some weeks and just couldn't handle the dickload of font-crapiness that I had to put up with. I basically loved Ubuntu and how the installer let me set up a virtual partition but it doesn't let me adjust mouse scrolling speed in GNOME. WHY???? THATS RETARDED. That's on top of the fonts.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    23. #23
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      386
      Well then get KDE.

    24. #24
      I LOVE KAOSSILATOR Serkat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Posts
      2,609
      Likes
      2
      Fonts don't look any better in KDE.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

      Ich brauche keine Waffe.

      Ich ermittle ausschlie▀lich mit dem Gehirn!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1eP84n-Lvw

    25. #25
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      386
      I was talking aobut adjusting your mouse speed.

      And fonts work just fine for me. Maybe you and your friends own retarded computers.

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •