• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By reci
    • 1 Post By Peregrinus
    • 1 Post By SomethingSpiffy

    Thread: Tell me about researching physics.

    1. #1
      ~Fantasizer~ <s><span class='glow_FF1493'>Alyzarin</span></s>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Out of Body
      Posts
      3,152
      Likes
      6873
      DJ Entries
      161

      Tell me about researching physics.

      I'm starting to get an interest in learning more about physics, but I don't really know much about it right now. I might take a class on it soon if I can, but until then I need a jumping off point and I don't really know what would be a good area to start off looking into to really get my feet wet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    2. #2
      Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      reci's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      LD Count
      18
      Gender
      Location
      -
      Posts
      380
      Likes
      90
      Probably the Harvard or MIT or etc lecture series that are hosted on Youtube.
      Alyzarin likes this.
      Tutorial: How to Fall Asleep Faster
      You are dreaming.Do a reality check.

    3. #3
      ~Fantasizer~ <s><span class='glow_FF1493'>Alyzarin</span></s>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Out of Body
      Posts
      3,152
      Likes
      6873
      DJ Entries
      161
      Quote Originally Posted by reci View Post
      Probably the Harvard or MIT or etc lecture series that are hosted on Youtube.
      Cool suggestion. :3 I'll have to check it out, thanks!

    4. #4
      Member Peregrinus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      LD Count
      don't count
      Gender
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      666
      Likes
      15
      If you're looking for a more conceptual introduction to physics, I recommend checking out the recorded lectures of "Physics for Future Presidents" from UC Berkeley Webcasts | Video and Podcasts. That should give you a good intro to the topics and concepts found in Newtonian physics/mechanics without a lot of math.

      If you have a solid background in calculus and are interested in the mathematical formulation of physics (and honestly, working the math is the only way to fully understand the discipline), check out Berkely's recorded lectures that have "physics for scientists and engineers" in the title. I'd recommend those series only after you've watched the intro series and developed a firm conceptual understanding.

      Taking a course and working problems is really the best way to learn the discipline and its nuances, though, so I highly recommend you take that physics class when you get the chance.

      Hope that helps.
      Alyzarin likes this.
      “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”
      - Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

      The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.
      - Mohandas Gandhi

    5. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      Posts
      7
      Likes
      2
      ^^That is an excellent suggestion. Or you could just dive in head first like me <---awesome emoticon by the way. Every time I consume a chapter, I feel like my brain has been beaten to a gelatinous pulp.
      Alyzarin likes this.

    6. #6
      ~Fantasizer~ <s><span class='glow_FF1493'>Alyzarin</span></s>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Out of Body
      Posts
      3,152
      Likes
      6873
      DJ Entries
      161
      Quote Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
      If you're looking for a more conceptual introduction to physics, I recommend checking out the recorded lectures of "Physics for Future Presidents" from UC Berkeley Webcasts | Video and Podcasts. That should give you a good intro to the topics and concepts found in Newtonian physics/mechanics without a lot of math.

      If you have a solid background in calculus and are interested in the mathematical formulation of physics (and honestly, working the math is the only way to fully understand the discipline), check out Berkely's recorded lectures that have "physics for scientists and engineers" in the title. I'd recommend those series only after you've watched the intro series and developed a firm conceptual understanding.

      Taking a course and working problems is really the best way to learn the discipline and its nuances, though, so I highly recommend you take that physics class when you get the chance.

      Hope that helps.
      Thanks for all that, I'm sure it'll help a lot. I am interested in researching the math side of it too, I want to get as good a grasp on it as I can for now. And I definitely want to take a class, the more I look into all this the more amazing it seems.

      Quote Originally Posted by SomethingSpiffy View Post
      ^^That is an excellent suggestion. Or you could just dive in head first like me <---awesome emoticon by the way. Every time I consume a chapter, I feel like my brain has been beaten to a gelatinous pulp.
      I'll probably be doing some of that as well for the fun of it.

    7. #7
      DVA Apprentice Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal 3 years registered
      PennyRoyal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      ~2-6 per month
      Gender
      Location
      Lacuna Inc.
      Posts
      536
      Likes
      777
      DJ Entries
      120
      Check out "Cosmos" hosted by the late, great, and amazing Carl Sagan. This is what sparked my love for Physics

    8. #8
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      To understand physics properly, you really have to understand the maths. The entire thing is based on maths. If all of your knowledge is just words, you don't really understand it and you can't do anything useful with it.

      So, you need to have a basic faculty with algebra first. Can you calculate 2/3 + 4/5 ? Can you solve 2x + 3 = 9? Say you have a right-angled triangle:



      where the bottom edge is 2 metres and the diagonal edge is 3 metres. Can you work out how high the triangle is?

      If you can't do all of these questions, you'll need to sharpen up on basic maths first. If you can do these fine, you might be okay to start watching some physics lectures. These are the best:

      Lec 1 | 8.01 Physics I: Classical Mechanics, Fall 1999 - YouTube

      You will probably need to learn more maths as they progress, in particular something called calculus, for which another great resource is here:

      Lec 1 | MIT 18.01 Single Variable Calculus, Fall 2007 - YouTube

    9. #9
      ------------------ Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Raen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      298
      Likes
      176
      As Xei said, you definitely have to at least have the very basics of maths under your belt to understand very simple concepts. Obviously, as the theories become more complex, so does the math behind it. It would definitely to be handy to be familiar and confident with your mathematical ability before moving onto anything major.

    10. #10
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      They always lose their fleeting interest when they realise physics is maths rather than literature.

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 9
      Last Post: 01-28-2011, 02:53 PM
    2. Physics help!
      By Kangaxx in forum Science & Mathematics
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
    3. Physics 911
      By Oneironaut Zero in forum Extended Discussion
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
    4. Worth Researching???
      By RageOfAchilles in forum Research
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 10-11-2007, 11:33 AM
    5. Researching for a movie scipt.....
      By Truthbearer in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 02-22-2004, 01:14 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •