• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Thread: Reality Checks

¿ƃuıɯɐǝɹp noʎ ǝɹɐ Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

New Zealand

Question Reality Checks

Hi, I'm wondering if any experienced LDers can please help me with this...

Last night during a nonlucid dream I found myself in a public toilet (dreamsign) and I performed the nose pinch test. I could breathe. I was very surprised by this and thought "hmmm, this means I'm dreaming. It's really hard to believe but that's what it means". I then looked around and thought "I suppose it does feel like it could be a dream". I looked at my hands and they both appeared 100% normal right down to the detail on my wedding rings. I then tried to push my arm through a wall but only felt the hardness and solidness of the wall.

I think the dream must have ended at this point because I don't remember anything after that.

I am going to have to stop looking at my hands or trying to put my arm through an object as part of my daily RCs. These checks have become completely useless. They used to work, but these days my dreams are so realistic and vivid that even when a RC fails (such as the nose pinch did) I have a hard job believing I'm dreaming.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better "back-up RC" please let me know. The problem is that I don't feel confident enough to trust that I'm dreaming based on one RC (nose pinch). The whole point to being lucid is to do things you can't do in real life (eg jump off buildings, say certain things to your boss etc). I need to be 100% sure it's a dream before I go doing crazy things.

So what RCs do you experienced LDers do as part of your daily reality checking? I just need ONE OTHER RC that is as reliable as the nose pinch test. Any suggestions?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by DreamQueen View Post
      Hi, I'm wondering if any experienced LDers can please help me with this...

Last night during a nonlucid dream I found myself in a public toilet (dreamsign) and I performed the nose pinch test. I could breathe. I was very surprised by this and thought "hmmm, this means I'm dreaming. It's really hard to believe but that's what it means". I then looked around and thought "I suppose it does feel like it could be a dream". I looked at my hands and they both appeared 100% normal right down to the detail on my wedding rings. I then tried to push my arm through a wall but only felt the hardness and solidness of the wall.

I think the dream must have ended at this point because I don't remember anything after that.

I am going to have to stop looking at my hands or trying to put my arm through an object as part of my daily RCs. These checks have become completely useless. They used to work, but these days my dreams are so realistic and vivid that even when a RC fails (such as the nose pinch did) I have a hard job believing I'm dreaming.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better "back-up RC" please let me know. The problem is that I don't feel confident enough to trust that I'm dreaming based on one RC (nose pinch). The whole point to being lucid is to do things you can't do in real life (eg jump off buildings, say certain things to your boss etc). I need to be 100% sure it's a dream before I go doing crazy things.

So what RCs do you experienced LDers do as part of your daily reality checking? I just need ONE OTHER RC that is as reliable as the nose pinch test. Any suggestions?

TIA
      One that always works for me is the letter test. I look at any writing, look away then look back. If the letters have changed I know I'm in a dream. I know how you feel about some dreams being too real down to the point that they look and behave exactly like reality. That's why when I do my letter test I'm sometimes flabbergasted to realize,
      "this is a dream".

New Zealand
      Thanks Lobster.

I have seen text change in my dream and I've heard that people use this as a RC. But what do you find is the best way to get access to some text in your dream? If I make this my back-up RC I expect that I'll just spend the rest of the dream looking for some text.

Well, someone told me the more you LD, harder it is to do LD because it becomes more and more real.

Canada
      Here Dreamqueen, I saved this to my computer when i was on a website a while back. Its alot of reality checks.

Spoiler for reality checks:
      Last edited by deepsleep; 01-20-2009 at 09:40 PM.
      *´¨)
      ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
      (¸.•´ (¸.• DeepSleep
      [

Quote Originally Posted by DreamQueen View Post
      Thanks Lobster.

I have seen text change in my dream and I've heard that people use this as a RC. But what do you find is the best way to get access to some text in your dream? If I make this my back-up RC I expect that I'll just spend the rest of the dream looking for some text.
      For me text is always somewhere. Signs, license plates, anything lying around anywhere, the side of a bus, a can and there's usually something in the pocket. If you look around you right now I dare say that it would be hard for you not to find something with text on it.

My primary RC is jumping. If I float down I know I'm in a dream. That never fails but then neither does the letter test.

Canada
      The reality check that usually works for me is the one where you stick your finger through your hand.
      *´¨)
      ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
      (¸.•´ (¸.• DeepSleep
      [

Banned
      No RC is reliable. Why? Because they all have the potential to fail. Personally, when I RC

Spoiler for I go through this process and these questions::

I realize that's a huge block of text and I apologize. But I felt no reason to retype those things I feel are so critical.

So anyway, remember: A reality check isn't just a repetitive physical action. And also, when doing a reality check you should be seriously considering the fact that everything around you is not real. Push your finger into your hand with the expectation that it will come out the other side. Visualize this happening. Count your fingers expecting there to be extras, or look at your hands anticipating that they will be deformed.

Reality checks are supposed to work simply based on these expectations. Apparently, the ones involving digital clocks work because of the actual state of your brain during the dream (I'm not sure this is true, but I have read many times that it's because of what parts of your mind are not active during dreams). So this one I feel is the most reliable if you're getting into the habit of reality checking. Also, I read someone's advice on here that has served me well, which was that when using text or a digital clock always look, look away, look, look away, look, look away at least three times. Sometimes they'll be stable, but when you get into this habit while expecting them to change you will usually be lucid by the third try.

Anyway, you probably didn't need all that. To answer your question, I find pushing my finger into my palm, counting my fingers, and reading text or a digital clock are all physical reality checks that work very very well. Looking down at your body, pausing and asking yourself what you were just doing and where you are going and where you are and who is around you, asking yourself what you were doing earlier that morning, the date, if you remember waking up since you last went to sleep are all good mental reality checks. You get lucky with the physical, you always get results with the mental.

Also make sure to read the REALITY CHECK TUTORIAL!
      Last edited by Shift; 03-29-2009 at 11:59 PM.

New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by DreamingDragon View Post
      Well, someone told me the more you LD, harder it is to do LD because it becomes more and more real.
      This is true. My dreams are so real nowadays it's ridiculous. The other day something very weird happened IRL. I was round at a friend's house and I picked up a book. The author was a mutual friend of ours! I never knew he'd written a book. I then opened it and started reading the first page and it was about a character in a life threatening situation and suddenly the character suspects he's dreaming and pinches himself! I kept doing RCs like crazy but even though they were passing I wondered if I was actually dreaming because it was such a classic "dreamlike" occurence. The fact is, my dreams are no less real than RL and have fooled me before. It's very hard for me to tell the difference sometimes.

Hey thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll figure something out from all the ideas you've suggested!
      Last edited by DreamQueen; 01-21-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Mountaineer
      Wow Shift, even though it WAS a lot of text that was a really good explanation though. I never realized that upon doing RC's I would often just perform them real quick and go on with life.

Valuable info, thanks!

Lost soul in endless time Lusense's Avatar
      LD Count
      100+
      Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
      Ya, I was going to give some advice but all the RCs I do are basically included in there. But ya it's true that they can fail alot and I've had more success with nose-pinch myself too. I'll have to read through Shift's and deep-sleeps for some extra advice myself even though I know alot of it will always help so thanks for that.

I always perform a bunch at once so if it messes up I'll do a secondary or third one all in sequence and generally atleast one of them will wake me up even if others fail.
      This entire reality is SELF REFLECTION. You reflect your essence and project it onto the universe.
      "Most conversations are just monologues with witnesses."
      "Life represents the movement of knowledge across the spectrum of consciousness."

http://www.4freeimagehost.com/show.php?i=PUSH5975b62cddeb.jpg

Reality Check thought process

I hope this hasnt been suggested in another forum. (Or even stated somewhere in a site tutorial). In my real-life reality checks, I've started working my way through the entire thought process.

I'll look at some text and say to myself "This says (blah blah) I'm going to look away for a second, and if the text has changed when I look back, I'm dreaming". When I look back at the text I'll say "This still says (blah balh), but if it said anythign else, I'd be dreaming"

I'm going to start doing the same thought process for all the great reality checks that deepsleep provided.

Dreamwolf Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class
      Texas
      DJ Entries
      I've only had 1 LD so far that I needed a reality check for. First I tried pushing my fingers through my other hand, but it didn't work, I think because I always planned on using that one, and I do it in real life sometimes. But when I looked at my hands it wasnt so much that there was extra fingers, they just look blurry and distorted. My question is why does this happen? I mean I look at my hands all the time, so shouldn't the brain know what they look like? I guess it has something to do with conditioning?