• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Banned

Falling Asleep How Do You Do It?

Ok I am teh struggling getting to sleep I might have that insomnia thing they speak of Notice how my posts are around 5:24 AM and what not yeah that means I havnt slept at all yet So I was just wondering how do all of you fall asleep i tend to lie in bed for a hour or two and nothing so i go watch t.v. try again nothing. It gets frustrating i want to sleep really bad but I cant its annoying. So yea what do you guys do to fall asleep or are you privelaged enough to just pass out

That sounds like a pain in the ass, man!

I usually fall asleep like this: I just lie around for some time and start thinking about random stuff. If I do this long enough one of thoughts drags me into sleep. Sometimes I just get out of such a... well... thought and then I just try again. I have some trouble sleeping myself too.

Did you ever go to a doctor with this problem?
      [b]raised by:

Banned
      Ba ha i wish my mom said "Im not gonna waste time on going to the doctor just because you cant go to sleep" im like Biatch help me lol yea I usually can go to sleep after being awake for two days i guess my body just sort of gives and i crash but yea its a pain in the ass.

Banned
      Ok im getting mad *slams head against wall* This isnt working nothing is working I have tried everything im screwed when school comes around >.< help meh lol.

1.Tried Warm Milk that only works a few hours (like 6 hours) after I take it I become drowsier seeing as how i was drowsy to begin with this makes no sense.

2. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. you name i tried it i give up maybe i will never be on a normal sleep schedule like everybody else.

Do you have any major difficulties mentally? Like stress or anything such as that? Things from your past and such....
      "Everyone wants to be the star of their own movie. No one wants to be a support cast..." - Leoj

"Everyone thinks that that point of "The Rtex Show" is that Rtex gets what he wants. When in reality "The Rtex Show" Is really the long sad tale of what happens to Rtex before he dies." - Leoj

"I keep trying to find the cookie cutter that is responisible for what's cooking in my head, but I digress." - Leoj

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Planet
      Take a few Melatonins about 5 hours before you want to go to sleep. It's like $8 for a bottle of 120, 3mg pills at GNC. They should help. It might take a few days to figure out how much you need to help you sleep.

You might also want to try waking up early. I know it sounds impossible, but it really isn't. By the time "bed-time" comes, you should be tired as hell.

Try a few things that may improve your sleeping habits:

1) Your bed is for sleeping only. If you are in your bed, that means you are going to sleep, not watch TV, or read, or anything like that. This helps you get into the right frame of mind when you get into to bed.
      2) Don't think of anything that worries you. Worries are for tomorrow, sleep is for now. Also, don't try too hard to fall asleep, that's a worry in itself. Just lay there and relax.
      3) Use your imagination to relax you. For example, think of a beach, with you laying on the hot sand, with the sun in your face, and the cool ocean waves washing over your legs. Imagine being carried away by the waves into the cool ocean, floating on the surface of the water. Or think of your own scenario.
      4) Exercise before going to sleep. I personally like to take my bicycle out and ride for a mile or ten, but if I can, I go swimming. That's because it's really exhausting, and the water is also very calming.

And ofcourse:

5) Get up at seven in the morning. By the time you need to go to bed, you will be tired.

Well, Melatonin is good for falling asleep, but I would recommend Unisom (doxylamine succinate as the active ingredient) instead. One or two of those and you will have a hard time staying awake.

Do you have ADD or ADHD? I have ADD and I have had a really tough time falling asleep because I have thoughts speeding through my head at all times when I should be sleeping. I play out scenarios in my head and think about an endless stream of thoughts. Eventually I was able to stop doing this.

If you have a hard time with quieting the thoughts in your mind when you are in bed that would definitely contribute to your not falling asleep. Try lying completely still in your bed, relax your body and start by thinking of one thought, a very simple thought like the dream you had last night. Then make sure you don't digress from that thought at all. If you start digressing into another thought or scenario, catch yourself. When you have a stream of thoughts in your head you are using a lot of beta brainwaves and it will be hard to fall asleep like that. So spend just a couple minutes dwelling on that thought and then slowly eject it from your mind until you are thinking of absolutely nothing. Once you get to this point where you are not actively dwelling on any thoughts, that is when the hypnagogia starts, which leads to sleep. Your mind will randomly show hypnagogic imagery or play mental sounds sometimes. When you get to this point you know you are close to sleep so just stay relaxed and wait for sleep.

Although that explanation is long and strung out it is very simple. Slow your mind and your thoughts down until you are not actively thinking of anything. Don't allow yourself to start dwelling on thoughts. Then fall asleep.
      Never stop searching for truth. In your search you may think you have found it, and perhaps you have, but if you hold on tightly to a single thread it will fray and it's greater meaning will become lost. There is always more truth stretching deep beneath the surface that promises to reveal ever greater the infinite, interwoven fabric of truth, woven in the looms of Heaven.

--Raised by Seeker--

Member Achievements:
      also, stick with a normal sleep schedule. from 10 to whenever you go to school should be enough, also. try reading (but still keep the schedule) so if you want to try reading, go from 9 to 10, then start sleeping

excersise might help, but i am against all forms of physical movement so i dont use it to get to sleep.
      veteran of the darkmyst #dreamviews
      Raised: Turkeh

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
      I have trouble falling asleep as well When i try to sleep, i keep day dreaming, and when i try to think of nothing, i hear music and voices... It really is counteractive to sleep. I just try to avoid sleeping as long as I can until I get kinda sick, and then I have to fall alseep or I feel worse.. eh its something at least.

Any tips?, beacse even if I clear my min, the voices/ music starts up.
      Need Help? Have Questions? PM me so I can help you out

"Dreams are as portals. Flat visions of misty places. But I can write dreams!" - Myst Uru

Truth Seeker Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>LucidDreamGod</span>'s Avatar
      US
      DJ Entries
      don't think your the only one it used to take me 3 hours to get to sleep, I once wrote a guide about falling to sleep I'll try and edit this if I can dig it out of the search engine.

EDIT: ya found it take alook at this guys a guide I made back in april: http://www.dreamviews.com/forum/viewtopic....t=getting+sleep

I wanna be the very best
      Like no one ever was
      To lucid dream is my real test
      To control them is my cause

Barbizzle, if you see things or have sounds the key is not acknowledge it at all. Just realize it means you are close to sleep. When you see something or hear a sound let it just happen, don't wake your mind up by thinking about it. I know it's a little easier said than done, but I've managed to learn to do it.
      Never stop searching for truth. In your search you may think you have found it, and perhaps you have, but if you hold on tightly to a single thread it will fray and it's greater meaning will become lost. There is always more truth stretching deep beneath the surface that promises to reveal ever greater the infinite, interwoven fabric of truth, woven in the looms of Heaven.

--Raised by Seeker--

Phoenix
      DJ Entries

Insomnia

I have had insomnia for years, since I was a young child. It is quite frustrating and can lead to depression. Learn some meditation techniques and start to relax around 7:00 PM. Ocassionally I get medication from the doctor but I try to limit this for several reasons including the wish to have lucid dreams. One thing I have found, when I have a large amount of ld's over a period of time this will also contribute to the insomnia and so I will tell myself to have regular dreams for a while til my sleep gets back to normal.

These are recomended by the medical establishment as good sleeping habits:

Eliminate or limit caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, and be sure to avoid using these substances late in the day or in the evening.
      Check all of your medications with your doctor to see whether they are affecting your sleep; you may be able to adjust your prescriptions or schedule to avoid creating sleep problems.
      Keep established bedtimes and wake times, 7 days a week.
      Reserve the bed for sleeping and sexual activity; do your reading or TV watching in another room.
      Make exercise a regular part of your life, but don't do it within 3 or 4 hours of bedtime.
      Don't stay in bed longer than 8 hours, and try to avoid naps.
      Use the evening hours for settling down, and avoid challenging activities in the hours before bedtime.
      Eat meals at regularly scheduled times, and eliminate bedtime snacks, or have only light snacks near bedtime.
      Once you are in bed, relax from head to toe, and guide your mind to pleasant thoughts.
      Get plenty of sunlight in the outdoors, particularly later in the afternoon.
      Keep your bedroom quiet, dark, and cool. Try using a sleep mask and earplugs to help you sleep.
      Restrict nighttime liquid consumption to reduce the need to get up to urinate, but don't go to bed thirsty.
      Avoid uneven noise (sometimes a steady "white noise" such a fan running can help), being too hot or too cold, and the bright lights of television or a computer screen during the late afternoon, evening, and night.
      Martha
      Phoenix, AZ

Change your life with your very next thought.
      -Dr Wayne Dyer

I usually feel more relaxed by counting the number of breaths i take from 100. I imagine myself geiing heavier every time I breathe out. e.g. 100 breathe in, 99, breathe out, I'm getting heavier. If you start struggling to count, then that's good, because your mind is shutting down.

i find something else to do in bed.

things i do:

- listen to/conversate with the voices
      - induce bodily perceptal distortion (e.g. attempt to melt into the bed, or be a stick insect)
      - imagine watching myself from another part of the room
      - imagine i'm sitting the wrong way around in bed
      - imagine myself with wings
      - general visual imagination training
      - watch the HI

when i do stuff like this - before i know it i'm asleep.

Originally posted by voidofform
      - induce bodily perceptal distortion (e.g. attempt to melt into the bed, or be a stick insect)
      - imagine watching myself from another part of the room
      - imagine myself with wings
      - general visual imagination training
      Haha, all those are ways that I fall asleep in class.

Strangers passing in the street
      By chance two separate glances meet
      And I am you and what I see is me.

Member Achievements:

Seattle, WA
      I just find a comfortable position (important!), close my eyes, and play some music in my head. It has to be relaxnig music though... And I just look at the light HI you get... not even HI, I guess I just stare at my eyelids... Takes just a couple of minutes if you're tired enough.

smoke weed 2 hours before bed,......and every 2 hours before that!
      it is true that weed is also a safe, natural sleep aid. believe me, when you start to come down at night, you will fall asleep instantly.

if you dont want to counter your chemical imbalance with an illegal drug you should tell your mom its a medical issue and have her get you some (toxic) legal drugs from a doctor.
      420/24/7/365 herb?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mayhembrown)</div>
      i tried to fly but cudnt, so i went outside in the garden but still cudnt.. i then thought lets go and find a girl!

Banned
      Heh heh i got caught with the green leaf and my mom got mad grounded me for a month took me out of school 2 weeks before it ended etc. So yea... does truly help you sleep though Okay I will try all of things you have suggested and im just about to read that sleep guide bro Wow its 3:00 am >.< I also heard that if you lie in your bed for more than 20minutes and your not close to falling asleep you should get out and do something until you feel tired then repeat but that just usually makes the night drag on anyways thx for teh advice

a question just popped into my mind: why is insomnia a problem? if your not tired, dont go to bed? it cant be that easy!
      420/24/7/365 herb?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mayhembrown)</div>
      i tried to fly but cudnt, so i went outside in the garden but still cudnt.. i then thought lets go and find a girl!

I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but insomnia is terrible. Someone with insomnia needs sleep just as hard as anyone else. They just can't. Result is that you're never really awake and never really asleep.
      [b]raised by:

Banned
      Zackly what i was saying but when it starts to inter fere with life for example you cant go to sleep worth crap during the school week you go to bed at 5:00 am then you wake up at 6:30 go to school come home at 3:00 pm go to bed until 10:00 pm then repeat wow thats my shcedule and its crazy dont leave much room for a job though

Banned
      Just read that topic you made bro where aquanina said to get a down comforter and you gave some more suggestions and she said to sleep nude wonder if its me but after seeing pic of aquanina + ........ thinks im in love lol

Phoenix
      DJ Entries

No More Naps

No more naps after school, kid. Make yourself stay awake til 9:00 PM and then hit the sack.
      Martha
      Phoenix, AZ

Change your life with your very next thought.
      -Dr Wayne Dyer

USA
      *Pop, Lightbulb goes on *

Yes, it is that afternoon nap that is killing you. My daughter had the same problem and was pretty much on the same schedule as you. Now, she gets up at 6:30, school until 3, wok until 9. She crashes about 11 now and falls asleep almost instantly.
      you must be the change you wish to see in the world...
      -gandhi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast