• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meditation

Banned

Meditation

I really want to get into meditation because it looks really fun. Also, I read some accounts of people levitating off the ground while meditating. I think that would be pretty sick to do Also, I heard that some people can meditate for like hours or even days at a time. THAT WOULD BE COOL! So, I read up on it, and I tried it a few times while sitting on my bed (I'm not flexible enough to do it cross legged yet )

Anyways. I really want to get into this, so just pour all of your knowledge out on the subject I read there's different types of meditation. The one that I tried was the one where you just focus on breathing. Are ther other better types than that? Thanks a lot

Xei
      Banned
      If you're looking to meditate 'cos you want to float in the air, I think you're a little misguided.

People who say that kind of thing are either simply making a metaphor for a mental experience, or else simply making shit up.

The whole point of meditation is that it's about the mind. It's largely about severing connections with the body. The body certainally wouldn't lift off the ground for... whatever reasons people put forward for such things.

Rock n Roll Capital
      I think you could use meditation to conjure up a really strong fart that would lift you off the ground for about a second or so...

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Joe View Post
      I think you could use meditation to conjure up a really strong fart that would lift you off the ground for about a second or so...
      Or maybe I would just burn a hole in my floor.

New York
      Meditation takes a lot of practice and motivation, much like LD, and you won't float any time soon

Although it's true that some people can meditate for days on end, the average person will never achieve that in their lifetime. You are probably referring to Tibetan monks who practice meditation sacredly every day for many hours.

Practically, meditation is a great way to relieve stress and, believe it or not, exercise your mind. There is no link between meditation and spirituality, anybody can do it. The concept of meditation is to clear your mind completely and not think at all. It sounds simple, but try for a moment and you'll realize how difficult it can be. Even sleeping, as I'm sure you know from this forum, involves a heavy amount of thinking.

Here's a very nice guide I recently came across for information on meditation:
      http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/4-r...o-get-started/

Rock n Roll Capital
      The concept of meditation is to clear your mind completely and not think at all.
      Right, this is what I first learned when I started to look into meditation - and it is more difficult than it sounds. However, there are those who say you can be successful and a particular area in your life if you meditate and "focus on an intent" or something. Know what I mean? Like creative visualization. So how do you focus on intent while meditating, if you're supposed to not think about anything at all?

New York
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado Joe View Post
      However, there are those who say you can be successful and a particular area in your life if you meditate and "focus on an intent" or something. Know what I mean? Like creative visualization. So how do you focus on intent while meditating, if you're supposed to not think about anything at all?
      That's a good point. Meditation can be used to be more successful in particular areas, but not directly. Because meditation is such a discipline, it can certainly improve concentration and well as clarity of thought, in general. This improved concentration can then be applied to whatever tasks are before you. It doesn't mean that you should try to "focus on an intent" while meditating - that's more along the lines of self-hypnosis.

Rock n Roll Capital
      Yah, I probably tried to move onto that focus intent thing before I really had a grasp on quiet mind meditation. I think I'll go back to that. To be honest, it was this confusion that frustrated me after a while and led me to lose a bit of interest in meditation. Back to basics...

United Kingdom
      For those of you that already meditate, what method do you find works best for you?

Lately I have been trying a simple breathing meditation, where I visualise the air going in and out my chest as I breath. My mind still wanders a lot but I have not been doing it for very long.
      In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us. Don't let your eyes deceive you.

First LD: 2nd July 2007
      Total LD's: 1

New York
      Quote Originally Posted by Karillion View Post
      For those of you that already meditate, what method do you find works best for you?
      Eventually it becomes more natural to clear your thoughts, but in the beginning you should focus on one thing to bring your mind back to whenever it wanders. In the beginning, whenever my mind wandered, I would concentrate on taking slow, rhythmic breaths.

Banned
      When I first read about it, it said to focus on breathing. I think I like the idea of staring at a flame better. I have lots of incense to burn up too

I wish I was flexible enough to do the lotus position, I have to sit on my bed instead

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class

Banned
      So how long do I have to practice before I start levitating off the ground?

Victoria B.C. Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by pokilty View Post
      Meditation takes a lot of practice and motivation, much like LD, and you won't float any time soon

Although it's true that some people can meditate for days on end, the average person will never achieve that in their lifetime. You are probably referring to Tibetan monks who practice meditation sacredly every day for many hours.

Practically, meditation is a great way to relieve stress and, believe it or not, exercise your mind. There is no link between meditation and spirituality, anybody can do it. The concept of meditation is to clear your mind completely and not think at all. It sounds simple, but try for a moment and you'll realize how difficult it can be. Even sleeping, as I'm sure you know from this forum, involves a heavy amount of thinking.

Here's a very nice guide I recently came across for information on meditation:
      http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/4-r...o-get-started/
      Besides clearing your mind is there really anything usefull it's for? besides the obvious OBE/AP stuff. Would be rather boring to just sit there hours on end just to relax and clear your mind. first time i ever tried this within 20 or so minutes my mind was completly clear of thoughts and 3 days meditations later i felt this weird sensation...someone told me it was my body trying to leave. I was also completly numb, but the numbness was a different sensation all together..it was like a light pull i actually felt. Heart raced faster, my closed eyes the blackness i saw was starting to go lighter, and like a rush of air or something went passed me till i opened my eyes and said "wow".

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidFlanders View Post
      Besides clearing your mind is there really anything usefull it's for? besides the obvious OBE/AP stuff. Would be rather boring to just sit there hours on end just to relax and clear your mind. first time i ever tried this within 20 or so minutes my mind was completly clear of thoughts and 3 days meditations later i felt this weird sensation...someone told me it was my body trying to leave. I was also completly numb, but the numbness was a different sensation all together..it was like a light pull i actually felt. Heart raced faster, my closed eyes the blackness i saw was starting to go lighter, and like a rush of air or something went passed me till i opened my eyes and said "wow".
      Get help...... NOW.

Victoria B.C. Canada
      Why?

D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      3D
      DJ Entries
      It's time to set the record straight with Doomed One (c)

1. What is meditation?

Think of your brain like a cup of muddy water, meditation is letting the water sit so it can slowly, gently settle into clarity. During this process, a lot of metaphysical stuff happens that I can't conceptually explain, metaphysics defy logical explanation. The idea, though, is to use a combination of concentration and mindfulness to dip into what is sort of like a very aware trance. You don't slip out of reality, on the contrary you become much more aware of the world around you, and even more aware of thhe world inside you.

2. What are the benefits

Firstly, relaxation. Secondly, it gives your brain energy you need to solve problems, fight writer's block, etc. It gives you a much wider perspective on your life, and it can also allow you to tap into extra nodes of perception which helps you find a new approach to all of life's difficulties. Later on, the benefits increase.

3. Does meditation give you special powers like levitation?

Yes and no, as I said a lot of metaphysical stuff happens that I can't explain. It seems as though you're able to connect to past lives and regain lost skills and abilities, some of these abilities can be very powerful and defy explanation. It's rare, and takes a lot of practice, however, to get to this point. I've never witnessed any practitioner's powers so i can't claim it for certain but most people the work with enlightened masters have claimed to witness extraordinary things.

4. How do I do it?

Patience is the key, you can't impatiently force murky water to settle. You need to be mindful and focused. I use a visualization which you can look up on tantric buddhist sites.

5. One warning

Meditation is a practice of making oneself sane again, as we all become insane once we enter into this society, we all live by delusions that we dogmatically hold onto. Through your practice of meditation, stuff will come up you might have buried into your subconscious for a reason. Don't forced it out, just let it come, and let it pass away. You'll find that's the thing about these random thoughts, aches, pains or restlessness that will distract you from meditation, they'll inevitably come but they'll also pass away.

Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.

Michigan, USA
      I think you should go for it. Just remember that there is no spoon (It'll make sense in time.) and that the only limits/laws of physics there are are the ones you set for yourself.

Banned
      Why?
      RUN!!!!!!!! You have to get out of here as fast as possible!!!!!! HURRY, THE MINOTAURS ARE COMMING!!!!!!!

Victoria B.C. Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Infraredkelp View Post
      RUN!!!!!!!! You have to get out of here as fast as possible!!!!!! HURRY, THE MINOTAURS ARE COMMING!!!!!!!
      You're such a child.

Banned
      You're such a child.

Pyramid.............. Job: Webmaster
      For those who wish to succeeded in meditation with some help :
      Im gonna post 2 images which will allow you to concentrate at a specific point where all your though's will be rejected. And your mind will tire minutes by minutes which at that point you unlock the meditation state.

Concentration exercise 1
      Place the picture in Fig 1 about 1.5 m in front of you. Look exactly at the black spot for 30 seconds or so and observe colored dots with your peripheral vision. Resist temptation to look anywhere else but the black spot.

oncentration exercise 2
      This exercise aims to stimulate the communication between both hemispheres of the brain, thereby increasing the "processing power" needed to see Auras. Place the picture in Fig 2 about 1 meter in front of you. Stretch your hand forward so that one of your fingers is between and underneath circles.

Change focus on the tip of your finger and overlook the circles. You should see 4 circles. Then aim to overlap the middle two to see ONE CIRCLE WITH A WHITE CROSS on top of your finger, in the middle between the two. Seeing the cross is the evidence, that the left hemisphere of the brain (connected to the right eye) is communicating with the right hemisphere (connected to the left eye).

If you concentrate on that spot for 5 min it will boost your view upto twice.
      Which will enable you with prctice to see Auras. Plus it enhances the ability to meditate for hours.

I cross my eyes and concentrate at the black dot :

25 min + will enable you to meditate before you even know it.

Anyway enjoy
      Last edited by iLight; 07-20-2007 at 06:20 AM.

Proud Owner & Co-creator of GamerzTrust.com & Gotmovies.net

Victoria B.C. Canada
      Why on excercise 1 when staring at the black dot is there something moving in the middle? if you look closely you see something moving side to side, up and down.

edit- same with the 2 black dots in the eyes. i guess it makes your eyes see weird things.

New York
      Quote Originally Posted by born_2_kill View Post
      I cross my eyes and concentrate at the black dot :

25 min + will enable you to meditate before you even know it.
      Yeah uh... this is really childish, but somebody's gotta say it. Does this work with boobs?

And, just to add some actual content to this post, crossing your eyes when two images are next to each other is known as stereoscopy and is used to trick the mind into seeing 3D images.

Rock n Roll Capital
      Does this work with boobs?
      Apparently so, ever happen to you at a bar? Girl with a nice rack comes up, starts yappin' and you're like - hypnotized?

crossing your eyes when two images are next to each other is known as stereoscopy and is used to trick the mind into seeing 3D images.
      Yup, I gotta book full of those. They're pretty mesmerizing. Although people who find it hard to see get really frustrated. Very ANTI-Meditation in that case :p
      Last edited by Tornado Joe; 07-20-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast