• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tell me about how to defend myself

Well, i'm in high school, and am afraid of being beat up by someone sooner or later. I've had trouble with two 'bullies' since middle school, and I really need some tips on how to defend myself. Anyone?
      Lucid Dreams: 15 or so
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Lucid Dreams with full control: 1

Banned
      Ohio, U.S.
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Banned
      Ontario
      Quote Originally Posted by Indivore View Post
      Well, i'm in high school, and am afraid of being beat up by someone sooner or later. I've had trouble with two 'bullies' since middle school, and I really need some tips on how to defend myself. Anyone?
      Ninjitsu. The ultimate equalizer. If there's a ninjitsu school nearby, and you have a serious bully problem, and by that I mean you're genuinely afraid that you'll get severely injured, sign up for classes. And be sure it's ninjitsu, and not that pansy karate or judo or whatever.

Barring classes, I can tell you some quick tricks for winning a fight. Learn the three main pressure points: solar plexus, groin, throat.

You can locate the solar plexus by poking yourself hard just at the bottom tip of your sternum. If you feel a spot where it's extra painful, that's your solar plexus. Learn its position so you can find it on the bullies.

The groin is obvious.

On the throat, you're looking for the spot on the adams apple where if you gently press it back, you feel an intense choking feeling that lasts even after you let go. Again, get used to locating this on the bullies.

Now, if a bully tries to initiate a fight, just hit the solar plexus, throat, and kick the groin in that order. That will bring down anyone. If he blocks, you can try hitting the armpit really hard, as that's another pressure point. But if he's used to bullying you, you'll catch him off guard. Once he's on the ground, kick him a few times in the face.

A word of warning: never kick your enemy if he's standing and ready for it. As a fighting novice, you'll be slow and will probably lose balance. Start with punches, always.

In a pot.
      What do bullies do?
      As I understand the situation where I live, there are only "gangs" and actual crime. And when they come after you, I don't think it's called bullying anymore.

I'd listen to drewman. I don't know what I'm doing "answering" a question, since I don't have the experience, but I guess you just have to confront them, if bullies are what I think they are. Martial arts are never a bad thing and knowing where to hit somebody is useful too.

A question for drewmandan... Isn't it too dangerous to hit someone in any of those places. Ok I guess a groin hit doesn't allways kill you, but those other ones seem a bit deadly. Are they?
      C:\Documents and Settings\Akul\My Documents\My Pictures\Sig.gif

Banned
      Ontario
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonsay View Post
      A question for drewmandan... Isn't it too dangerous to hit someone in any of those places. Ok I guess a groin hit doesn't allways kill you, but those other ones seem a bit deadly. Are they?
      The solar plexus isn't deadly at all, at least for a novice. It's just REALLY painful, to the point where you can easily make a person lose consciousness. As for the throat, yeah, you could collapse their trachea or whatever, but a novice probably wouldn't be able to, and you gotta judge the situation. Like, if it's between having the shit beat out of you versus risking a hospital visit for the bully, what would you pick?

In a pot.
      Well I wouldn't think about it at the time. But I don't want to kill anyone.
      C:\Documents and Settings\Akul\My Documents\My Pictures\Sig.gif

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Quote Originally Posted by poog View Post
      Speak softly and carry a big stick.
      Nice Teddy Roosevelt quote.
      Things are not as they seem

Banned
      Ontario
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonsay View Post
      Well I wouldn't think about it at the time. But I don't want to kill anyone.
      Well, ninjitsu is the art of murdering with your hands. But the OP asked for self-defense, and assuming he doesn't want to carry a shiv around, ninjitsu is the best defense.

Atashermi
      Plan A: Try to avoid situations where people would bully you. Stay around people, even if they're people you don't know, because at least there will be witnesses. Avoid certain places on your way home such as alleys or places where you would have a hard time escaping or could easily get cornered. Be aware of your surroundings and if you don't feel safe in a place, look for where the exits are and plan your way out ahead of time.

Plan B: If you do get confronted by a bully, make as much noise as you can. Don't worry about sounding like a sissy, because your physical well-being trumphs your pride. Shout for help or for them to stay back and not touch you. Make it loud and draw attention to the situation. It gives them a chance to back off. If they keep coming, run if you have the chance, perferrably towards some place where there are people. Try to avoid physical contact if at all possible.

Keep in mind that if you just go after them and don't make some sort of "announcement" that you feel threatened, they could just say that you attacked them first. Also, I would advise against trying to carry a weapon, as it could be taken away and used against you if you don't know how to use it.

Take a self-defense course. They usually have them at athletic clubs, colleges/universities, or you might even find them advertised in the newspaper. Check with a counselor to see if they know of a course you could take. Pepper spray can also be effective, but be careful how you use it. You don't want to accidentally spray yourself or spray it in a room where you can't easily get out. And tell them you'll spray them before you do, if possible.

And don't diss on Judo. You learn how to fall and how to throw/restrain/choke people.

"If there was one thing the lucid dreaming ninja writer could not stand, it was used car salesmen."

IZ
      Houston
      Stand up to them. Be tough, think tough, look tough, your pissed that your treated this way. Face them if they want to confront you. Your ready for them anytime! Don't think that they can do this to you.

Only two things will come out of this; You will appear as someone who is not to be messed with and will make a bad choice in social standing if he fights with you. OR, You get in a fight with him and show that you are not afraid of this guy and even though you get beat up, still you will be seen as a person who is not to be messed with (dumb Highschool social system). Because you stood up to him, its sure to raise a little boost in "popularity", if you didn't have any, and most people in HS are plain wusses that will look up to you (great new friends), even if you lost the fight. Anywho, only good can come out of this, BE TOUGH ABOUT IT! I could go on and on and on about this topic.............so

JUST STAND UP FOR YOUSELF.

Conscious Traveler
      Unity
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by IZ View Post
      Stand up to them. Be tough, think tough, look tough, your pissed that your treated this way. Face them if they want to confront you. Your ready for them anytime! Don't think that they can do this to you.

Only two things will come out of this; You will appear as someone who is not to be messed with and will make a bad choice in social standing if he fights with you. OR, You get in a fight with him and show that you are not afraid of this guy and even though you get beat up, still you will be seen as a person who is not to be messed with (dumb Highschool social system). Because you stood up to him, its sure to raise a little boost in "popularity", if you didn't have any, and most people in HS are plain wusses that will look up to you (great new friends), even if you lost the fight. Anywho, only good can come out of this, BE TOUGH ABOUT IT! I could go on and on and on about this topic.............so

JUST STAND UP FOR YOUSELF.
      thank you I have been attempted to be bullied on multiple times and I stand up, look them in the face and tell them to fuck off, if they threaten you, tell them "good luck" and walk away.. by the way I took like a month of ninjitsu and I can confidently say that I am able to beat up every kid in my entire school and I am a tall, relatively scrawny guy. And if they say "okay walk away but dont come back" dont let them screw up your rep, turn around tell them youll be back tomorrow and walk off and this time completely ignore everything they say.
      3-19-08
      would you consider it strange if an alien spent several hours prone each night while their soul roamed in another dimension? We are strange creatures..

That Guy
      Stand up to them. Be tough, think tough, look tough, your pissed that your treated this way. Face them if they want to confront you.
      I agree with mostly everything except what I bolded and italicized there. Some people are just dickheads, and get off on just getting a rouse out of people, knowing they get under your skin. I know a few people personally who are like that, and they get their asses whooped every couple of weeks, but they can't help themselves, they just love pissing people off because they know it gets them pissed.
      If you don't give them that, then they won't be as entertained by you.

Also, yeah, look tough. Walk around with a solemn and bold looking face and people won't fuck with you, they'll be afraid of you, possibly even respect you. You look like someone not to be messed around with, they don't want to chance it, they prey on weak ones who they expect to wimp out so they can look tough. Hold your shoulders back, puff out your chest, hold your chin high and people will not only not fuck with you, but they'll respect you as well. When you see someone like that, you just assume that they're someone you wouldn't want to fuck around with, and you'll leave them alone.

It's always worked for me. But also, don't be afraid to punch someone out if you have to. I've done this as well. Some dude threw a paper ball at the back of my head once, so in the middle of class I walked to the back of the classroom and threw a good little punch in his face, needless to say he didn't fuck around anymore, he treated me like Jesus from that day on. I remember throwing the punch, and all of a sudden, he got like this 'puppy that's been kicked too many times' kind of look on his face, and just begged me not to throw another punch. I felt kind of bad for it because of the look he gave me, but at the same time, he deserved it for being a douchebag after I warned him not to fuck around with me.
      Last edited by Bayside; 10-15-2008 at 10:47 PM.

IZ
      Houston
      [quote=Amethyst Star;923140]Pepper spray can also be effective, but be careful how you use it. You don't want to accidentally spray yourself or spray it in a room where you can't easily get out. And tell them you'll spray them before you do, if possible.
      [quote]

I don't want to be rude Ame, but your post sounds a bit "girly". I know your a girl, but this is IMO no way to defend yourself in a world of bullies in the eyes of a guy.

Great info for a girl to avoid getting raped BTW!
      When I dream, theres always a
      little girl playing in the dirt, that
      turns to me and says "Why are
      you here? .... Are you blind like
      me?"

What I've found
      What I've known
      Never shined to me what I've shown
      Never be
      Never free
      I wish to see what might have been...
      ...So I talk to you unbeliever.

I walk in the rain. 1111

Designated Cyberpunk Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      [QUOTE=IZ;923156][quote=Amethyst Star;923140]Pepper spray can also be effective, but be careful how you use it. You don't want to accidentally spray yourself or spray it in a room where you can't easily get out. And tell them you'll spray them before you do, if possible.

I don't want to be rude Ame, but your post sounds a bit "girly". I know your a girl, but this is IMO no way to defend yourself in a world of bullies in the eyes of a guy.

I agree, that's some bad advice for a guy. Our world is a lot different than the world of females. If we don't stick up for ourselves without intervention from a third party, we'll lose all respect people have for us. Likewise, if you defend yourself and put the other person in their place, you will gain respect. At least that's how it works in highschool. It's fucked up, I know, but that's just how it is. The day I turned around and hit a kid who was touching a seatbelt to the back of my head everyone was like "hey, how's it going man" doing all their weird hand gestures. I hate teenage society (and most of my fellow teens), I really do.
      Surrender your flesh. We demand it.

School is not a prison :O I don't see why would anyone bully someone. When I was at school everything was a game. People just tried to piss off each other.

But you know you can poke people with pens and stuff or cut them with rulers. its not deadly and most people likely to avoid things like that. And if people use the same thing on you just pick up a chair if they pick up a chair pick up a table XD.
      Last edited by Nefarious; 10-16-2008 at 01:07 AM.

Conscious Traveler
      Unity
      DJ Entries
      lol nice always keep above
      3-19-08
      would you consider it strange if an alien spent several hours prone each night while their soul roamed in another dimension? We are strange creatures..

Atashermi

I understand the "girly-ness," but at the same time, I can't help but think of possible legal implications and other consequences. I also hope that people would only use violence as a last resort rather than start out immediately punching someone in order to intimidate them. Violence usually has a way of escallating.

As far as making noise, you don't have to scream like a girl. Just shout out "Back off!" or something similar, but speak confidently. If the other person feels that you're in control of the situation, usually they will back down. If they are coming at you and you don't have time to do anything but react, by all means defend yourself, but don't beat them to a pulp... unless they're really out to get you, which in that case, go for the knees. Kick their knee joint and chances are they won't be bothering you for a while.

But seriously, take a self-defense course to learn some basic techniques. If you want to study martial arts, more power to you. It's fun and a good work-out, a great way to build strength and endurance.

"If there was one thing the lucid dreaming ninja writer could not stand, it was used car salesmen."

Conscious Traveler
      Unity
      DJ Entries
      start PM'ing me btw if you want me to tell you exactly w/ detail how to avoid conflict and when it comes how to avoid serious conflict, and if that happens how to kick ass
      3-19-08

The Outer Reaches
      Kick the bully in the nuts, when he goes down start kicking him straight in the face. Show no mercy. Used books, anything around you.

Banned
      Ontario
      Quote Originally Posted by nitsuJ View Post
      Kick the bully in the nuts, when he goes down start kicking him straight in the face. Show no mercy. Used books, anything around you.
      See post #3...

Conscious Traveler
      Unity
      DJ Entries
      btw we are answering you so if you feel like responding to our answers Im sure we would appreciate it and not feel like we're wasting our time...
      3-19-08

In Your Head :O
      Dont know about the OP but your answers helped me. Thanks guys.
      Free DreamJournal Program ~ Thanks Banhurt

Conscious Traveler
      Unity
      DJ Entries
      no prob
      3-19-08

Quote Originally Posted by Erikkujonson View Post
      btw we are answering you so if you feel like responding to our answers Im sure we would appreciate it and not feel like we're wasting our time...
      Uh, sorry. Uhm, but yeah thanks for the advice. I'm on Fall Break, and i'm starting back next Monday. Just needed some help with it. I'll check around and see if we have a place where I can learn self defense, or any other martial arts. Thanks everyone!
      Lucid Dreams: 15 or so
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Lucid Dreams with full control: 1

Conscious Traveler
      Unity
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Indivore View Post
      Uh, sorry. Uhm, but yeah thanks for the advice. I'm on Fall Break, and i'm starting back next Monday. Just needed some help with it. I'll check around and see if we have a place where I can learn self defense, or any other martial arts. Thanks everyone!
      lolz np dude I just wanted to make sure our messages were actually getting to where we sent them. You're very welcome and I invite you pm me some time for some tips cause I would be glad to give them and answer any questions.
      3-19-08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast