• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Boston

Intense, intense fear during SP

I wasn't able to lucid dream since the summer because of college and such, but I recently got back into it. Now, I've had a plethora of lucid dreams before, a lot of them were done by simply setting an alarm an hour before my regular alarm went off and then entering SP -> LD. I've never, ever had problems with SP. I always found it fun, but the past 2 times I've tried LD'ing since summer, I feel something in the room is watching me and I get so fucking scared. I can't move (well duh, SP) and I end up shutting my eyes and trying to pull myself away from the evil force and end up just sleeping.

Can someone tell me some factors that are influencing this fear? I really want to LD, but there's no way I'm going through that feeling again, it's absolutely horrible I don't think I've ever been that scared in my entire life as I was in my bed, motionless, last night.. haha.

Edit: Could this possibly have anything to do with smoking pot? I smoked daily since September and stopped 3 days ago for break.
      Last edited by infinityk; 12-17-2008 at 08:37 AM.

¿ƃuıɯɐǝɹp noʎ ǝɹɐ Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

New Zealand
      What you're experiencing is actually a fairly common phenomenon. I have had this experience myself a few times but I wasn't paralysed at the time so it wouldn't have been as scary as your experience. All I can suggest is that you prime yourself not to be scared and to realise it's only HH (Hypnagogic Hallucination). Keep reminding yourself throughout the day and right before you go to sleep at night that if you experience this again it it not real

I've had pretty good luck with SP, never got 'the fear' tho o.O. Do you get a loud ringing in your ears? That's what happens to me and it creeps me out
      LD's: 18
      Listen to This Will Destroy You

Banned
      I don't know if this is related to marijuana.

Sensed Presence is very common during true sleep paralysis (enough that it's called the Old Hag), and sensing such a scary presence but then trying to move, finding you can't, and focusing on the scary 'thing' can contribute to that fear I'd try either mentally preparing yourself (If I see something scary, it means I'm almost in a dream! Don't give up!), getting in the habit of ignoring whatever you sense (hard, I know) and thinking 'happy thoughts' to distract yourself and maybe direct any hallucinations (if possible), or preparing a few of the techniques that a few people have listed as an aid to getting their body out of the paralysis... I've read that wiggling the extremeties and opening and closing the eyes, if possible, will sometimes do it.

I am really interesting in LDing often. But, I have a question I need to ask.
      Is there alot of scary stuff that comes with LDing?
      Because, right now I am in no position to be scared. I did LSD and I had the most intense scare of my life. (Bad trip) very very bad.
      I am also wondering, would there be a chance for me to run into the bad trip scenerio again within my dream?

EDIT:

You know what, I'll face it if it comes. Worse that happens I get stuck in my dream, but personally I dont think thats possible. So it wont be. Thanks though guys.
      Last edited by cruush; 12-18-2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Change my mind.

Urgh, I had a horrible sleeping paralysis last night. I have them frequently, most of which fade fairly quickly; I generally just let them pass. Last night however, was odd; the sleeping paralysis felt as if I was being pulled away from my body... I remember feeling my left arm go numb and then being able to control another arm pulled from it. At the same time, I tried to fall into a lucid dream by sleeping and maintaining awareness, but was feared of any form of hallucinations.

Quote Originally Posted by shotbirds View Post
      I've had pretty good luck with SP, never got 'the fear' tho o.O. Do you get a loud ringing in your ears? That's what happens to me and it creeps me out
      Yeah, the ringing seems to cause me to brick myself also. Also, I would suggest that SP can be very intense and traumatizing at times - be very careful, I've awoken completely paralyzed, no ringing and have seen faces fly throughout my room, attempting to do something to me (Yes, I don't have a clue as to what they're trying to achieve), mostly inflicting pain. At one time, I got annoyed and had managed to free my arm, resulting in myself grabbing one of the faces. However, the night after, I had experienced SP and had noticed the face behaving more aggressively, mostly angry, causing a really loud ringing sound.

I also believe the ringing sound is to be the frequency of your brain? Your brain is said to operate at higher frequencies during dreams.

when i was younger i was freaked out by aliens like no other
      and i still am..>_>
      so when i get in SP i like the guy who posted this thread i start getting really freaked out and my thoguhts start playing tricks on me and Blah!
      hahahah

It doesnt have anything to do with weed. My sp is exactly like that (sometimes way worse) about 85 percent of the time. Try not to let it bother you because it only last a few minutes at the most and will fade by itself.

"I've read that wiggling the extremeties and opening and closing the eyes, if possible, will sometimes do it. "

For me breathing in really sharp breaths can jolt me awake if i need to.

DJ Entries
      I suggest that you imagine SP before going to bed. Imagine going through SP, and imagine yourself remaining relaxed. Your problem is 100% mental. So why not mentally practice? Good luck!
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

with the power of 28!! seeker28's Avatar
      Idaho, USA; the back end of nowhere.
      There are a few things you can do to try to either change your SP experience or to prepare for whatever might happen.

Play a lot of computer solitare, especially right before bed. There was a study that found that people who played a lot of solitare had SP about solitare cards. I thought I had the source of this study bookmarked, but I can't find it! If you want you can probably find it by looking. If you can't stand solitare, play a game that is similar, with repetative simple images. I know computer sudoku worked its way into my SP!

If you are a spiritual/religious person you can always pray or do someother ritualistic focusing of your energy on creating a safe space for you to be in while you try to WILD. The more you belive that it will work, the better it will!

You can use autosuggestion to tell yourself that you enjoy your SP. The more you do it the faster and better it will work.

Good luck!
      LD tasks of the month completed: 16
      Read some of my writing:
      http://dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=52477

Visit my deviantart gallery:
      http://seeker28.deviantart.com/

Banned
      Quote Originally Posted by seeker28 View Post
      There are a few things you can do to try to either change your SP experience or to prepare for whatever might happen.

Play a lot of computer solitare, especially right before bed. There was a study that found that people who played a lot of solitare had SP about solitare cards. I thought I had the source of this study bookmarked, but I can't find it! If you want you can probably find it by looking. If you can't stand solitare, play a game that is similar, with repetative simple images. I know computer sudoku worked its way into my SP!

If you are a spiritual/religious person you can always pray or do someother ritualistic focusing of your energy on creating a safe space for you to be in while you try to WILD. The more you belive that it will work, the better it will!

You can use autosuggestion to tell yourself that you enjoy your SP. The more you do it the faster and better it will work.

Good luck!
      Yea, that's actually a good idea, I hadn't linked the tetris effect to controlling HI like that! I'm sure if you search tetris effect and hypnagogia you'll be able to find some sources. I'm gonna start seeing playing tetris before bed. Lmao, I can see the TILDs now

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal
      LD Count
      ≈20
      Colorado Springs
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by cruush View Post
      I am really interesting in LDing often. But, I have a question I need to ask.
      Is there alot of scary stuff that comes with LDing?
      Because, right now I am in no position to be scared. I did LSD and I had the most intense scare of my life. (Bad trip) very very bad.
      I am also wondering, would there be a chance for me to run into the bad trip scenerio again within my dream?
      That's a good question. I've never been on LSD but I've heard some stuff about bad trips. I remember some fat comic saying that if you were afraid of heights you shouldn't take acid in a house that has a place that goes from carpet to tile. I"m glad you're are going to go for it tho, I'd be pissed if I'd missed out on the magical experience that is a successful wild. Who needs drugs when you can wild. What I'd say to you and InfinityK if you're religious pray for protection and tell yourself many times before your wild and during that what is happening around you is just in your mind and you shouldn't be afraid of it. I try to take on a curious, detached, and scientist like mindset when I wild. Hope that helps.

EDIT:
      Oh and to answer your question Most people find it very easy to wake up from a dream in which they're lucid. I'd first try to change whatever you didn't like about the dream and then if you were very afraid and wanting out try opening and closing your eyes very fast. That'll wake you up.
      Last edited by Spiderman_859; 12-22-2008 at 10:08 PM.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."-Altair

yige meng de xuesheng Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      London Foggy Town
      Long ago I woke up in SP (sleeping on back) and realised that some small creature was sitting on my stomack. I could not see it precisely. It was making some noise but kinda flew away after a while. It was not either friendly nor hostile. I got more scared of not being able to move or wake up. Fortunately it did not last long.
      I feel something in the room is watching me and I get so fucking scared. I can't move (well duh, SP) and I end up shutting my eyes and trying to pull myself away from the evil force and end up just sleeping.
      I had similar experience a couple times though I could sense the person next to my bed as somebody who tries to help me or in worst case not hostile. Somehow I feel on the back of my head that I am safe.