• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Gold Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries

Is this dangerous?

I am new and I was wondering if any of these things are dangerous? Like sererating your mind from your body sounds creepy. Any risks I should know about?

Canada!
      DJ Entries
      Uhm, I'm not an expert, but I think I can say it isn't dangerous. Of all I have read on here, some people get SP(Sleep paralysis) which can be horrifying. But other than that, I'm pretty sure it's alright.

A little ant farm called Universe
      There is no evidence that shows someone could get hurt while lucid dreaming. Since your whole body is paralyzed, chances of self injury are extremely low as well. If you must, make sure that there are no particularly harmful objects such as a bedside table that you could fall on.
      Expect to have scary dreams/hallucinations every now and then, but those two can be confronted, and as long as you keep in mind that it's all going on in your head, you'll eventually be scareproof.

Member Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      the reason you don't see anyone saying "it's dangerous" is probably since if you die in a dream later you won't be able to report it lol

kiddin itz safe
      TAKE DV members advice with caution! some have had zero or 1-2 LD's yet act like gurus
      TOTAL LD's (almost all DILD/MILD) =160!!
      new goals: have more LD's than Shift[X]
      10-15min LD [ X] Article: A day in the life of an LD-er
      the "Mind V.S. Body" Induction technique
      Everyman 2 LD's/ sleep schedule progress

Credo ut intelligam Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      From a scientific standpoint, based on all the research accumulated on the topic, no. There is no more danger in lucid dreaming then everyday dreaming. The mind does not "seperate" from the body. Your brain stays nicely put, and your body is ready to snap into action the moment you wake. Mind awake, body asleep. The two are no more seperate than they always were. You're paralized, that's all. It happens every night, wether you are aware of it or not. Lucid dreaming is just like a normal dream, only you are "awake"
      John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      From a scientific and psychological standpoint, I can tell you emphatically, NO. Lucid dreaming is NOT in any way dangerous to your mental or physical health. In fact, lucid dreaming, so far, has been shown to improve mental health. See some of LaBerg's writings and studies here:

http://www.lucidity.com/

If you are already prone to having no grasp of what's real and what isn't, then it has nothing to do with lucid dreaming--it means you are schizophrenic, and that dreaming is just a reflection of your mental illness.

Separating your mind from your body is an OBE, our-of-body experience. It is not a lucid dream, so you don't have to worry about that. And generally, OBE phenomena has never been proven to be dangerous either.

Sleep paralysis, HI, and other things can seem a little scary at first--and if you allow your hallucinations to get the best of you, it will be a very scary experience. But it is NOT dangerous to your health. Remember that it is YOUR dream, YOUR experience and you can wake yourself up if need be whenever you need to.

Lucid dreaming is long held to help cure many nightmares, since you are able to confront them. Being lucid gives you a far better chance of controlling, destroying, changing or understanding the nightmares.

A good friend of mine used lucid dreaming to cure her anxiety, with the help and guidance of her therapist. And I've used it to get over past phobias and trauma. So it can have a lot of wonderful uses.
      Last edited by Naiya; 09-20-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Banned
      LD Count
      im here for you
      Quote Originally Posted by Naiya View Post
      From a scientific and psychological standpoint, I can tell you emphatically, NO. Lucid dreaming is NOT in any way dangerous to your mental or physical health. In fact, lucid dreaming, so far, has been shown to improve mental health. See some of LaBerg's writings and studies here:

http://www.lucidity.com/

If you are already prone to having no grasp of what's real and what isn't, then it has nothing to do with lucid dreaming--it means you are schizophrenic, and that dreaming is just a reflection of your mental illness.

Separating your mind from your body is an OBE, our-of-body experience. It is not a lucid dream, so you don't have to worry about that. And generally, OBE phenomena has never been proven to be dangerous either.

Sleep paralysis, HI, and other things can seem a little scary at first--and if you allow your hallucinations to get the best of you, it will be a very scary experience. But it is NOT dangerous to your health. Remember that it is YOUR dream, YOUR experience and you can wake yourself up if need be whenever you need to.

Lucid dreaming is long held to help cure many nightmares, since you are able to confront them. Being lucid gives you a far better chance of controlling, destroying, changing or understanding the nightmares.

A good friend of mine used lucid dreaming to cure her anxiety, with the help and guidance of her therapist. And I've used it to get over past phobias and trauma. So it can have a lot of wonderful uses.
      Naiya just put it so much wonderfully than I could have dreamed of doing. Perfect explanation.

LD Count
      Natural.
      Wyoming
      Didnt someone a while ago on the forums sort of go crazy because they "thought" they could do all of these things in real life as they did in a lucid dream? I think they called it "breaking out" or something. Like having the powers of a lucid dream in the real world.. or something.

I dont remember, but that guy's mental got messed up pretty bad. But im sure he just had problems to begin with.

SIG MADE BY KROMOH

****[Mario92] 2:59 am: I just dedicated my last bowel movement to Christ. Invoke that.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      It sounds like he was having a psychotic episode that happened to be centered around dreaming. I know a guy who's psychtotic episode centered around his car mechanic. So yeah, it's just mental illness that isn't caused at all by dreaming.

p.a.
      i'll just play devils advocate for a second, people on this site numerously brought up topics,based on dream experimentations,can it really be another spiritual dimension,portal,dreamwalkers,stalkers,communicati ng with the dead,psychic experiences,ect, anyway no one can really set in stone,if experimenting with (lucid)dreams just a dream, or can hold negative repurcussions

Expert LDer Affirmation!
      The only way lucid dreaming can be potentially dangerous is if you go the supplement route to obtain stronger lucid dreams. Any natural supplements, just like drugs, should be handled and administered very carefully, and you should likely consult your doctor about those things.

Other than that, if you don't take supplements, there's nothing dangerous about it.
      DILDs: A Lot

A little ant farm called Universe
      i'll just play devils advocate for a second, people on this site numerously brought up topics,based on dream experimentations,can it really be another spiritual dimension,portal,dreamwalkers,stalkers,communicati ng with the dead,psychic experiences,ect, anyway no one can really set in stone,if experimenting with (lucid)dreams just a dream, or can hold negative repurcussions
      Simply put, it's ALL in your mind.

Motion Personified Alpha Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I don't think its recommended for anyone who suffers from Schizophrenia.
      Maybe MID and DID too. But I am not too sure about them.

Abundant Dreamer Bizarre Jester's Avatar
      East Coast
      The easy answer is No. I've also heard of people getting scared by what they are seeing/hearing during sleep paralysis, but this is not common and no it can't hurt you.

Member Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      so to summarize

"the only thing to fear from LD's is fear itself"

....also ignorance... ignorance is bad
      TAKE DV members advice with caution! some have had zero or 1-2 LD's yet act like gurus
      TOTAL LD's (almost all DILD/MILD) =160!!
      new goals: have more LD's than Shift[X]
      10-15min LD [ X] Article: A day in the life of an LD-er
      the "Mind V.S. Body" Induction technique
      Everyman 2 LD's/ sleep schedule progress

Quote Originally Posted by Mancon123 View Post
      I am new and I was wondering if any of these things are dangerous? Like sererating your mind from your body sounds creepy. Any risks I should know about?
      Extremely dangerous, many people die from this each year.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Gold Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      1000+
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by jombo22 View Post
      Extremely dangerous, many people die from this each year.
      Rofl

Past Intermediate Dreamer
      TN
      Rest assured, every time you lucid dream you're still resting safely within your mind just like you always were. I've been lucid dreaming for over 2 decades, and I've done a lot of pretty extreme things in the dream world. The only worst consequence that ever came from it was waking up with an intense heart beat (which I admit is unpleasant, but I had pushed myself too far before waking up)

But as far as physical danger, no, I really think lucid dreaming in and of itself is perfectly safe.

But.....just make double and triple sure you're really dreaming, otherwise it could be dangerous!!!