• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Thread: (guys) does masturbation affect dreams?

Toronto

(guys) does masturbation affect dreams?

does excessive masturbation affect ones ability to dream positively or negatively, especially before you go to sleep?

Does it affect vividness or ability to have a lucid dream?

I hear that masturbation drains acetylcholine and seratonin from your brain, and that you need both for dreams.
      Last edited by westonci; 07-07-2007 at 12:51 AM.

This topic crops up alot, here be some links to reading materials, hope they help

Masturbation?
      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...d.php?t=36854&

Masturbation/Sex: Effects on Recall, Vividity & Lucidity
      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...d.php?t=23254&

Masturbation Does Work!
      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...d.php?t=31748&

Masturbation
      http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...d.php?t=30596&

Maybe we should sticky a masturbation thread (no pun intended)
      Last edited by RooJ; 07-07-2007 at 01:11 AM.

hahaha!!! lol its funny how u say it lol

SilentFlyer Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points

DJ Entries
      Masturbation decreases your energy level and I think a relatively high energy level will increase ability to LD (think those that are well rested usually have a better shot at LDing and remembering their dreams than those who are sleep deprived). I worked with energy raising for a while and noticed an increase in my number of LD's so I'm sure energy does affect your ability to LD. I don't think it'll mess up your chances completely, probably just make the chances lower. Perhaps raising energy after would reverse this. Just my thoughts...

-Ages and names have no meaning.-

Dream Journal

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=39038

Mostly Absent
      There are some pretty tried and true facts about ejaculation and hormone/neurotransmitter levels, although I doubt there's been any scientific study done specifically about dreams and wanking. Masturbation (for men at least - I don't know what is up with ladies) will demolish your testosterone levels, even at just a single pass, and will take upwards of an entire week before they reach their peak again. Testosterone is definitely responsible for imparting energy, assertiveness, motivation and drive to a person, and frequent (several times a week or more) masturbation I can only suspect has a negative impact on lucid dreaming which so often requires focus, drive, and enthusiasm to execute successfully. When you wake up at 3:00 AM for your WBTB and you are acutely out of testosterone, you have very little hope of being able to rouse yourself. Masturbation also temporarily depletes dopamine levels which are also involved in motivational behavior, and frequent masturbation also increases prolactin levels which, aside from being the main mechanism that antagonizes testosterone production to begin with, will probably give you manboobs.

Not that manboobs strictly correlate negatively with LDs, but hell if I want them on my body.
      Adopted by Richter

For me it does. I will have very short dreams and my recall isn't as good because I'm now seeing 10-20 quick dreams.

When I haven't jerked in maybe 1-2 days then I start to notice I'm recalling 1-2 long dreams. If it's a week it tends to be many long dreams and some rather unique dreams too.

It's more fun in my head. zobey's Avatar
      I aint touchin' this one. (no pun)
      Control is Everything
      LD Count:33
      WILD:6, DILD:27, MILD:3
      (At this point, I've completely lost count. Those are my last accurate stats.)

Damn it! Now I'm tempted to stop slapping the meat walrus for like a week to see if I get any progress. Alright. That's it. I'm on a masturbation diet for a week to see how it affects my dreams. Wish me luck.

Now this'll be a hard one
      I managed to stay 10 days, and a difference indeed. They say that the one who really wants lucid dreams should stay 15 days without wanking.

LD Count
      Can't remember
      Lancashire, England
      Quote Originally Posted by westonci View Post
      does excessive masturbation affect ones ability to dream positively or negatively, especially before you go to sleep?

Does it affect vividness or ability to have a lucid dream?

I hear that masturbation drains acetylcholine and seratonin from your brain, and that you need both for dreams.

So that's why I have no recall!

"He who is the cause of someone else becoming powerful is the agent of his own destruction" - Ezio Auditore da Firenze (1459 - 1524)

Dream Journal l Facebook

Ill tell you guys a secret masturbation before sleeping makes lucid sex last much longer cause you dont get too exited It also doesnt affect my dream recall and lucidity at least I dont feel like it does.

Mostly Absent
      Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious
      makes lucid sex last much longer cause you dont get too exited
      If it's not exciting then why do it?
      Adopted by Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Spamtek View Post
      If it's not exciting then why do it?
      Belive it or not its still fun you just dont finish but you still feel great. If you would get exited you would wake up and that is not fun

note that I said: you dont get TOO exited

Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Deep in the woods
      To choose between lucid dreaming and masturbation...
      What a terrible world.
      xdr3amer likes this.
      ---o--- my DCs say I'm dreamy.

someone needs a tummy rub Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Finland
      I wouldn't know, i dont think i had a non postmasturbation dream yet

Oneironaut
      This topic is hilarious.

That being said, it probably kills all hopes of a WBTB, but I doubt it would ruin your attempts altogether. Then again, it really raises a question of frequency...
      Are you dreaming?

DJ Entries
      I've done extensive research on the subject, and have to conclude it doesn't have much effect on dreams at all.

Barned Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      The Second Plateau
      I personally have more DILDs if I don't masturbate for a few days
      Cheis. Dailo.
      It's tough to bring someone back that never really lived.

Glasgow, Scotland
      Quote Originally Posted by Mega93 View Post
      They say that the one who really wants lucid dreams should stay 15 days without wanking.
      15 days is a bit much. I don't think it's worth it to be perfectly honest I'll wait till I get a little better at LDing. Maybe that way I can just do it in my dreams, so then I get the best of both!
      LDs: 3

Inquisitor
      sydney
      ROFLMFAO this is a funny one

I have heard that for some people it makes DILDing better but for others it wrecks the whole process.
      After reading about the 15 days not tossing i had a think about personal exp. i think that this is based in truth, not sure why but i went for about 11 days with out having a bat a few weeks ago (due to total exhaustion brought on by uni exams, now that was a tough few days) and my dreams (no real LDs) were very vivid and long and my recall was up slightly. Now im not sure if there is a connection but after reading this im tempted to try it again and se how it goes.
      Ignorance breeds heresy-anon

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      USA
      it tends to reduce/eliminate the chance of sex being a subject in my dreams that night
      http://usera.imagecave.com/Torcher/DVsigcopy.jpg
      We who are about to dream, salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL JOE View Post
      Damn it! Now I'm tempted to stop slapping the meat walrus for like a week to see if I get any progress. Alright. That's it. I'm on a masturbation diet for a week to see how it affects my dreams. Wish me luck.
      dude the LD will be worth it 100% even if it lasts a short time , its worth worth worth

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by TheUniversalOne View Post
      Masturbation decreases your energy level and I think a relatively high energy level will increase ability to LD (think those that are well rested usually have a better shot at LDing and remembering their dreams than those who are sleep deprived). I worked with energy raising for a while and noticed an increase in my number of LD's so I'm sure energy does affect your ability to LD. I don't think it'll mess up your chances completely, probably just make the chances lower. Perhaps raising energy after would reverse this. Just my thoughts...

Excellent observation UniversalOne. I was just reading a book called DreamGates yesterday that discusses the idea of raising ones sexual energy and then going to sleep without releasing that sexual energy in order to increase dream recall and vividness of ones dreams.

I've also noticed this myself, that on the nights I go to bed with an unusually high level of sexual energy still intact, that those are the nights I remember the most dreams and have the most vivid dreams.

In fact, I experimented with this last night, and woke up literally every hour to an hour and half in the middle of a vivid dream.

Not sure how this might effect lucidity, but it sure can help in having a lot of vivid dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by tekkendreams View Post
      dude the LD will be worth it 100% even if it lasts a short time , its worth worth worth
      I haven't done it since posting that. No lucids yet, but I'll keep trying.

i havent masturbated in over 10days not , just been thinking about LD ing to much lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast