• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By Erii
    • 1 Post By WanderingMind

Thread: How does isochronic tones or binaural beats make you lucid?

LD Count
      200+ Since July
      DJ Entries

How does isochronic tones or binaural beats make you lucid?

How does it make you lucid when you listen to them while falling asleep?There are no subliminal messages or anything in them , so how?

To quote one of my other posts. I'm not going to straight out call binaural beats (and isochronic tones) a scam, but I must admit the evidence is shaky. They work in theory and there have been some studies which have shown some mild effects, however they are FAR from the hype.

A large industry has popped up to market binaural beats as a product. They essentially do nothing more than clamor together a binaural beat (a ridiculously simple sound file) and mix in some cheap ambient sounds or psychedelic music (which in reality reduces the beats' effectiveness). Their websites gloat the "miracle" effects of their files and then sell them marked up at ridiculous prices. They don't even bother to provide the slightest hint of technical information on the types of beats they're using which honestly leads me to believe they have no idea. Even if binaural themselves are not a scam these websites most certainly are.

If you are interested in experimenting further with binaural beats I highly suggest you continue and publish your findings (in an objective, double-blind fashion). However please produce your binaurals with free software such as Brain Wave Generator or Audacity, or find the files from free videos online.
      "I know that I am mortal by nature, and ephemeral; but when I trace at my pleasure the windings to and fro of the heavenly bodies I no longer touch the earth with my feet: I stand in the presence of Zeus himself and take my fill of ambrosia, food of the gods." - Claudius Ptolemy

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      4 ish a week
      Moved to Lucid Aids
      A Roxxor likes this.
      From my rotting body,
      flowers shall grow
      and I am in them
      and that is eternity.
      -Edvard Munch

LD Count
      Oklahoma City
      It's based on the principle that your brain will mold to the brainwave pattern being played in your ears. The brain is said to synchronize with said tone.

Binaural beats work on the principle of a net tone. One ear is playing a tone that is x (i.e. 20 hz) while the other is playing a tone at a different frequency (I.e. 25 hz). The net is a 5hz difference which you don't hear, but is said to be where the brain is to synchronize to. That number is associated with a varied state of consciousness/brainwave pattern. I.e. 0-4 hertz is Delta, which is deep sleep that is not often associated with dreaming.

Isochronics do not require headphones as the tone is said to happen outside of the brain. It quickly goes from a frequency to silence back and forth, which is said to be more effective.

I realize there are few studies that suggest they are effective, but I now have a large number (Like a library full) of these tones. I have had some moderate success with them. It still requires certain conditions (Usually that I am at least a little tired for example to induce lucid dreaming), but they have had a large effect on me.

One of my favorite tones is the lucid dream isochronic from unexplainable.net. 90% of the time (And I have tried this for about 1/2 of my LDs*), as long as I do a WBTB, listen to it while I am up in the middle of the night, I will have an LD. Maintaining is still an issue, and I still do focus a lot on a certain thing that I wish to dream about, but it requires little effort beyond that.

I once had an LD right in the middle of napping. I randomly threw the tone on while I was deployed on my computer, and just dozed off around two pm one day. I landed right into a War based LD, where I had Melee powers. lol

I can't say for a fact that it helped me in the desert, but I almost didn't practice at all there. I just threw on a tone to induce an LD, sleep, AP (Which I do believe in, but not in the sense that you leave the body even though it feels like you do), and hoped for the best. I still had success here and there. I'm not going to add to my total, but over a period of 4 1/2 months I probably had about 20-30 LDs/OOBEs (Again: I never argue whether it's leaving the body, but it does feel different than an LD). I became lazy, but I did try to recover over a period of a week trying new things (Like the salt trick, and that worked for me despite my hatred of salt lol). I had some success there, but other than that I just thought about it and listen to my tones. That's it.

Having said that: I have hypnosis mp3s as well. Some do combine hypnosis along with ischronics/binaurals, but I never considered combining several of them to see if I get any added effects. I just made one out of nowhere. Sounds like something I should try more often. lol

*I've had more than 40 at this point*
      Last edited by WanderingMind; 08-30-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMind View Post
      I realize there are few studies that suggest they are effective, but I now have a large number (Like a library full) of these tones. I have had some moderate success with them. It still requires certain conditions (Usually that I am at least a little tired for example to induce lucid dreaming), but they have had a large effect on me.
      Care to cite those studies? I've been striking out on reliable research.
      "I know that I am mortal by nature, and ephemeral; but when I trace at my pleasure the windings to and fro of the heavenly bodies I no longer touch the earth with my feet: I stand in the presence of Zeus himself and take my fill of ambrosia, food of the gods." - Claudius Ptolemy

LD Count
      Oklahoma City
      SystemsLock likes this.