• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    1. #1
      Member Lahzo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      LD Count
      15
      Gender
      Location
      Medina, Ohio, United States
      Posts
      188
      Likes
      86
      DJ Entries
      19

      LD for a paper on argument

      Hello everybody,

      I haven't posted in a few weeks because I've been busy with my second year of uni. I've been told that I have to pick a topic to write about. I thought it would be interesting to write about lucid dreaming. I've wrote papers on it in high school but this class is rather particular.

      My paper need to be about a subject that has opposition, usually something political or religious, however, we can't write about politics or religion. I'm unsure of what I could write about lucid dreaming that is not completely broad and hasn't been proven in a sleep lab.

      I told my professor that I would like to write about space exploration or lucid dreaming, and she said that a paper on lucid dreaming sounds great.. any ideas?

      Thanks in advance,
      Jared
      Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe, and enthusiastically act upon.. must inevitably come to pass. - Paul J. Meyer

    2. #2
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      It would make a good paper if you're really interested in it, and it's probably not a subject your professor is going to read a whole lot of papers on. However, your thesis would have to be about something that is arguable. Nothing comes immediately to mind, but if you get creative you might well be able to work out a topic that is arguable and substantial enough. What sort of length requirement are you working with?

    3. #3
      Flailing chicken barnacle Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Indeed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      LD Count
      10
      Gender
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      567
      Likes
      118
      DJ Entries
      15
      Well, LDing has been proven, so there's not much you can do there. Perhaps some Inner Sanctum sorta stuff? There's plenty of people who don't agree with shared dreaming, astral projection and the like.
      Alex is greatest. He <i>is</i> the Master Flan.

    4. #4
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
      Well, LDing has been proven, so there's not much you can do there. Perhaps some Inner Sanctum sorta stuff? There's plenty of people who don't agree with shared dreaming, astral projection and the like.
      The only problem with that kind of stuff is that most of the evidence out there either way isn't really in a form that would be acceptable to cite for a college-level research paper.

    5. #5
      Flailing chicken barnacle Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Indeed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      LD Count
      10
      Gender
      Location
      Earth
      Posts
      567
      Likes
      118
      DJ Entries
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
      The only problem with that kind of stuff is that most of the evidence out there either way isn't really in a form that would be acceptable to cite for a college-level research paper.
      Yeah, that's true. I don't know of any actual scientific studies on either of those things. Maybe one day...
      Alex is greatest. He <i>is</i> the Master Flan.

    6. #6
      Member Lahzo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      LD Count
      15
      Gender
      Location
      Medina, Ohio, United States
      Posts
      188
      Likes
      86
      DJ Entries
      19
      The length requirement is at least 1,000 words, so I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 2-3 pages. The issue I was having, specifically, is finding a topic less broad than just "Lucid Dreaming" that is arguable and substantial. I wouldn't mind writing about shared dreaming but I've not had a shared dream before and I'd like to write about something I have some experience with. I'm a strong writer in class so the hardest part is always finding the topic on which I'd like to write.
      Last edited by Lahzo; 09-15-2012 at 08:09 PM.
      Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe, and enthusiastically act upon.. must inevitably come to pass. - Paul J. Meyer

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Arra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Posts
      3,838
      Likes
      3886
      DJ Entries
      50
      You could write the paper on shared dreaming. Taking the side that it's probably impossible, assuming that's your stance.

      Or anything similar to shared dreaming that's controversial and relates to LDing, like OBEs really being experiences in which your soul leaves your body, or being able to travel to different dimensions during sleep.

      EDIT: You don't need to have experience with shared dreaming, OBEs, etc. in order to argue against them. If they aren't real then you couldn't have ever had experience with them, and arguments from personal experience aren't very credible anyway. Do research on studies that have been done on whatever subject you choose. Like with OBEs, experiments have been done in which some note is written out of sight, and the OBEer is asked to read the note while out of their body.
      Last edited by Dianeva; 09-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.

    8. #8
      Member Lahzo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      LD Count
      15
      Gender
      Location
      Medina, Ohio, United States
      Posts
      188
      Likes
      86
      DJ Entries
      19
      Quote Originally Posted by Dianeva View Post
      You could write the paper on shared dreaming. Taking the side that it's probably impossible, assuming that's your stance.

      Or anything similar to shared dreaming that's controversial and relates to LDing, like OBEs really being experiences in which your soul leaves your body, or being able to travel to different dimensions during sleep.

      EDIT: You don't need to have experience with shared dreaming, OBEs, etc. in order to argue against them. If they aren't real then you couldn't have ever had experience with them, and arguments from personal experience aren't very credible anyway. Do research on studies that have been done on whatever subject you choose. Like with OBEs, experiments have been done in which some note is written out of sight, and the OBEer is asked to read the note while out of their body.
      Of course. If I were against them then I wouldn't ever expect to experience them. However, I'd like to argue FOR something (in a postive way).. just because. XD I don't want you to say "You're arguing for being against blah blah." either. XP
      Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe, and enthusiastically act upon.. must inevitably come to pass. - Paul J. Meyer

    9. #9
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3041
      DJ Entries
      6
      I don't see why you would have to argue anything outside the realms of known lucid dreaming. Why don't you do something like is it possible to sustain another life in your dreams
      or should morals be applied to lucid dreams
      or is it possible to communicate almosty directly to your subconscious
      or what effect does lucid dreaming have on your walking life
      or should lucid dreaming be introduced to everyone, what type of benefits would it have E.g increased sleep, reduced depression etc.

      I can think of plenty of ideas which can be discussed.

    10. #10
      Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Supernova's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2009
      LD Count
      Gender
      Location
      Spiral out, keep going.
      Posts
      2,909
      Likes
      906
      DJ Entries
      10
      Quote Originally Posted by dutchraptor View Post
      I don't see why you would have to argue anything outside the realms of known lucid dreaming. Why don't you do something like is it possible to sustain another life in your dreams
      or should morals be applied to lucid dreams
      or is it possible to communicate almosty directly to your subconscious
      or what effect does lucid dreaming have on your walking life
      or should lucid dreaming be introduced to everyone, what type of benefits would it have E.g increased sleep, reduced depression etc.

      I can think of plenty of ideas which can be discussed.
      If this is a research paper specifically, those wouldn't really be applicable. For an essay based solely on the author's thoughts, those are some ideas to consider.

    11. #11
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3041
      DJ Entries
      6
      Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
      If this is a research paper specifically, those wouldn't really be applicable. For an essay based solely on the author's thoughts, those are some ideas to consider.
      Well I suppose you could take questionaires or you could involve other people to also try etc I mean what exactly could he prove in terms of space exploration.

    12. #12
      Member TheGritz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      LD Count
      7
      Gender
      Location
      Southeastern USA
      Posts
      100
      Likes
      36
      DJ Entries
      2
      On a side note, you could possibly write about how Ethanol is destroying America. Look it up. There is some substantial non-political/scientific opposition to ethanol. A short Google search will show you its evils if you aren't aware of them already.
      When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.

    Similar Threads

    1. The Economic Argument
      By DrunkenArse in forum Inner Sanctum
      Replies: 99
      Last Post: 12-02-2010, 03:07 AM
    2. The Argument
      By frizzyfolife in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM
    3. The ontological argument
      By solieus in forum Philosophy
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 11-15-2006, 02:56 AM
    4. Argument With My Brother
      By chzplz in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
    5. How to Win an Argument
      By AirRick101 in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 09-27-2005, 09:01 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •