• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 53
    1. #1
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23

      Does Skin Color Affect Attractiveness?

      Now, I happen to agree that to me, light skin colors are more attractive, but that has more to do with me growing up around light skinned people and developing my attraction without dark skinned people to incorporate into my model of what is attractive, in the future I may have a different opinion, who knows.

      However, many Hispanic looking people are attractive to me, which makes sense considering I grew up in an area where Hispanic people were around me more often than black people. I think it has more to do with what you are used to, and the places I have lived throughout my life usually have not had extremely dark skinned people, and it is because of this that I think my personal tastes lean toward a lighter skinned person.

      I would not find it odd that, at least in the U.S., the norm might be to find lighter skinned people more attractive since the races are mixing and there are fewer and fewer very dark skinned black people for us to incorporate into our model of what we consider beautiful.

      The man in this 9 or so month video puts it rather rudely, but it is what prompted me to make this thread.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ZxrXiSY3Y
      But what do you think?

      1. Do you find lighter skinned people to be more attractive than the darkest of dark skinned people? Or do you find darker skinned people more attractive? Somewhere in between? Why do you think this is?
      2. Do you think the majority of the people in your society currently share your opinion, or do they have a differing view?
      3. Is it racist to not find darker skins equally attractive, or is there a better word for it than racism? In either case, why?

      Do you think the answers to these questions might change based on the gender of the person in question? Would you consider it a cultural thing, or are there more complicated explanations?
      Last edited by Sandform; 06-03-2009 at 04:33 PM.

    2. #2
      hotheaded dynamitard Animatic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Location
      Posts
      5
      Likes
      0
      1. Neither, to be honest im indifferent to shade.

      2. I think theres a certain level of intimidation that comes at the beginning of an interacial relationship, although I dont think this would influence anyone's prefferances, I do feel like the majorory would rather "stick to what they're used to" though.

      3. No, theres nothing racist about having your own sexual prefferances, and anyone that tells you otherwise is impinging on your freedom.
      Last edited by Animatic; 06-03-2009 at 04:10 PM.

    3. #3
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by Animatic View Post
      1. Neither, to be honest im indifferent to shade.

      2. I think theres a certain level of intimidation that comes at the beginning of an interracial relationship, although I don't think this would influence your personal preference, I do feel like the majority would rather "stick to what they're used to".

      3. No, theres nothing racist about having your own sexual preferences, and anyone that tells you otherwise is impinging on your freedom.
      So, assuming you find Halle Berry attractive, if she was as dark as the darkest person alive on the planet, would she be equally attractive? Or the lightest. (If not her, then picture any person of any color that you find attractive and picture them equally light as possible or dark as possible.) If so I find that amazing, I would think everyone has some kind of preference for some type of shade. I know people who like tan people, pale people, etc. It would be interesting if we were all able to view people's skin color indifferently.

    4. #4
      hotheaded dynamitard Animatic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Location
      Posts
      5
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      So, assuming you find Halle Berry attractive, if she was as dark as the darkest person alive on the planet, would she be equally attractive? Or the lightest. (If not her, then picture any person of any color that you find attractive and picture them equally light as possible or dark as possible.)
      I dont know if thats quite the same thing though, A white black person (so to speak) or vice versa for instance is something that would seem unnatural to us, and thus usually unattractive.

    5. #5
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by Animatic View Post
      I dont know if thats quite the same thing though, A white black person (so to speak) or vice versa for instance is something that would seem unnatural to us, and thus usually unattractive.
      I guess that is true.

      I suppose for the model to be accurate I would have to say take a person from every ethnicity that you can think of an attractive person for, and make them as dark as they can naturally be, in your mind, as well as light as they can naturally be. (and by naturally be I mean to the point that it wouldn't seem unnatural)

      After that point, which was more appealing, etc.

      Personally I think some people look extremely attractive when pale, but many people don't have the physical build to pull it off, and the same thing goes for tan people.

      But over all I simply can not find most black people or Asian people attractive. The only reason I can come up with for this is that these types of people simply haven't been a part of the culture I am used to. They aren't repugnant to me, they are simply not attractive.

    6. #6
      Banned
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      4,904
      Likes
      63
      I'm all over the place. I'm white, but I've been attracted to whites, asians, blacks, hispanics, whatever, you name it. It's more based on the individual than anything. I'll see a person and just say, "That guy is fucking hot!!!" I was at the airport a few days ago and saw a man and his friend boarding a plane, as you described they were about the darkest black I have seen on a human being, and I thought he was incredibly good looking.

      Certainly, I am more attracted to white people overall, but to me that is because of cultural overlaps. Not as a default race for attraction, but on an attraction-to-attraction person-by-person basis, I say that. I am much more attracted to whites and blacks and asians and hispanics of a cultural background similar to mine, than those who dress or behave or speak in a different manner than I and the people I am usually around do. Not that I'm snubbing people who are from other cultures, but that I am most familiar and attracted to people I understand better and whose behaviors and beliefs I am more familiar with and can connect to more easily, and in my region of suburban America that tends to be people who are white . I'm a self-proclaimed culturalist But anyway my point is that, behavior and actions allowing, I'm attracted to anyone. For me, personality and behavior and all that good stuff is the clincher, not color.

      On the other hand, some other cultures are very intriguing and attractive to me.

      And, I don't think it's racist in the slightest. It's like saying red looks good on someone. It's just an irrelevant physical attribute, you can't help what you're attracted to, and not being attracted to a certain shade of skin doesn't mean squat about what you feel about the person living inside that skin.
      Last edited by Shift; 06-03-2009 at 05:47 PM.

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Out Chasing Rabbits
      Posts
      15,193
      Likes
      929
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      1. Do you find lighter skinned people to be more attractive than the darkest of dark skinned people? Or do you find darker skinned people more attractive? Somewhere in between? Why do you think this is?
      I like girls tan, but not black.

      2. Do you think the majority of the people in your society currently share your opinion, or do they have a differing view?
      Yes because there seems to be a lot of tanning salons popping up

      3. Is it racist to not find darker skins equally attractive, or is there a better word for it than racism? In either case, why?
      No, it's just a preference. You can't choose who you're attracted to, unless you believe those idiots at the 700 club.

    8. #8
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by ninja9578 View Post
      No, it's just a preference. You can't choose who you're attracted to, unless you believe those idiots at the 700 club.
      This has been the common answer for question number 3.

      To expand beyond just skin color...

      For me personally, based on some definitions, I have to be considered racist when it comes to this particular subject since I find almost no black people attractive, and it is most certainly because they are black (mainly I don't like fros, and most people can't pull off the bald thing I don't think).

      If racism is strictly defined as "Discrimination or prejudice based on race," then, at least in this one respect, I am racist against black people and Asians. Although, I suppose that is contingent upon which definition you use for discriminate.

      I don't think these two races are inherently less attractive, but I do find them less attractive to me personally.

      But ultimately, is it the race itself, or the qualities of the race? If it were simply skin color, then I would find Asians attractive since I find Hispanics attractive. I could argue that it is their facial structure that limits my desire for them, but that would be faulty, since there are at least some Asians who don't have the extreme characteristic in them that I would argue against, and I don't find them attractive either. In other words it is neither skin color nor other physical characteristics that lower my level of attraction. If it is not their physical traits, then the only option left is a cultural divide.

      I would love to hear the opinions of people who were not attracted to a certain race, but then moved to a country where that race is dominant, to see if their opinions changed simply with a change in cultural experience.

    9. #9
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Interesting thread Sandy. This is where I stand on the matter. I would choose halle berry over britney spears anyday of the week, hands down. So its not so much an issue of skin tone for me as it is physical looks. However, me personally...Im attracted to lighter skinned women and always saw myself ending up with a hispanic woman, white woman or light skinned black woman. Now I disagree with Ninjas statement above which stated America shares his views about being attracted to lighter skinned women. Tanning salons ARE increasing ONLY because theres a great demand for whites who WANT darker skin. That nullifies the notion that the lighter the skin, the more perceptually acttractive you are. Just the other day I asked out a woman who I thought was a light skinned black but was actually white with a tan. I find this funny.
      Things are not as they seem

    10. #10
      Drowning in Dreams Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_8B0000'>Zhaylin</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      c. 6 since join
      Gender
      Location
      Central West Virginia, USA
      Posts
      5,767
      Likes
      4703
      DJ Entries
      199
      Pale skin is definitely seen as a negative in my circle of life/experience. I'm very light complected (though not sickly pale). Everyone always tells me I need to get out in the sun more lol and mock blindness whenever I wear shorts. It's been that way all my life from the beaches of Pensacola, FL to the heart of West Virginia. Most people seem to like a darker shade of light

      Personally, I'm not physically attracted to anyone until I know their personality. BUT, I still appreciate beauty and admire a great variety of people who fit into different "catagories".
      A persons eyes seem to captivate me more than their skin tone. But, if you have an unusual combination then I'm hooked (a dark skinned person with blue or green eyes for instance).

      Skin color doesn't seem to affect me in the least, though certain features are more "exotic" to me and more appealing. ??? Very intersting.

      2. In my experience, not many people share my views on anything

      3. Is it wrong for some people to be attracted to red heads or blonds? People tend to have preferences. But your view is an interesting one. I'm still not sure I would classify your preference as being racist (you have no problem interacting with people of another ethnicity? Would you mind your adult child or sibling dating/marrying someone of another race?)

    11. #11
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
      3. Is it wrong for some people to be attracted to red heads or blonds? People tend to have preferences. But your view is an interesting one. I'm still not sure I would classify your preference as being racist (you have no problem interacting with people of another ethnicity? Would you mind your adult child or sibling dating/marrying someone of another race?)
      Other people may do as they please, family or not, people are free to love who they like.

    12. #12
      Member Keresztanya's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      1,083
      Likes
      32
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      Do you find lighter skinned people to be more attractive than the darkest of dark skinned people? Or do you find darker skinned people more attractive? Somewhere in between? Why do you think this is?
      I prefer light-skinned girls, pale skin is great to me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      2. Do you think the majority of the people in your society currently share your opinion, or do they have a differing view?
      I'm not sure.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sandform View Post
      3. Is it racist to not find darker skins equally attractive, or is there a better word for it than racism? In either case, why?
      It's definitely not racism, it's just something I don't find attractive. That's like saying anyone who prefers black hair over brown is discriminating against brown-haired people. It's just a preference, it has nothing to do with race, just what is attractive to me.

    13. #13
      Member CoLd BlooDed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Gender
      Location
      BC, Canada
      Posts
      3,130
      Likes
      17
      I like brunettes, blondes, redheads, white, latina, black, asian, tall, short, outgoing, ingoing...


      Starry starry night, paint your pallet blue and gray,
      Look out on a summers day,
      with eyes that know the darkness of my soul.


    14. #14
      Fan of "That Guy" Lzen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      California, USA
      Posts
      1,105
      Likes
      29
      1. Do you find lighter skinned people to be more attractive than the darkest of dark skinned people? Or do you find darker skinned people more attractive? Somewhere in between? Why do you think this is?
      I, too, have grown up mostly around whites and hispanics, so...yeah, lighter-skinned is more attractive to me. But I'd totally strike up a relationship with a black woman if she had the kind of personality that the writer of T-Shirt Hell's newsletters has.

      2. Do you think the majority of the people in your society currently share your opinion, or do they have a differing view?
      I honestly don't know. I mean, not only is what one finds attractive a highly relative thing, but I'm one of the few dudes I know who's blunt (or brave?) enough to come out and say, "Yeah, personality is the determining factor in a relationship, but looks DO count for something."

      3. Is it racist to not find darker skins equally attractive, or is there a better word for it than racism? In either case, why?
      It's not really all that discriminatory, it's just a preference; just because someone finds lighter skin more attractive doesn't mean that they dislike people of darker skin color. It's like...gay men aren't sexually attracted to women, but not because they don't like women. They just prefer men.
      Final Fantasy VI Rules!

      Total LDs: 10 | WILDs: 4 | DILDs: 5 | DEILDs: 2
      "Take atheism, for example. Not a religion? Their pseudo-dogmatic will to convert others to their system of beliefs is eerily reminiscent of the very behavior they criticize in the religious."

    15. #15
      Emotionally unsatisfied. Sandform's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      4,299
      Likes
      23
      What do you think the major cause of skin tone preference? Is it as said briefly earlier about it simply being based on the people you are exposed to and are able to incorporate when building your model of what is "beautiful?" Or is it something else? If so then what do you think it might be?

      I think, over all, it is a cultural bias when it comes to my reasons.

      Also, to address Jeff. I find it interesting that the white people you mention want to be that darker, at least to the point that you are mistaking them for an ethnicity or race that they are not. I think, at least to me, if a person is too white or too black it takes away from being able to see the features of their body, and thus it isn't desirable (for most people) to be too pale or too tan. An interesting thing to note is that most people will desire what they don't have. People look for flaws in themselves, and I would think that in some cases, perhaps (though I am not assuming or asserting anything) like the one you mention, the people look at themselves and find being "pale" as a flaw, and thus seek to correct it, in a case like this going a bit overboard.

      As a side note, there was a thread a while back where this topic of skin tones was already addressed, but it wasn't the original focus of the thread.
      Last edited by Sandform; 06-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.

    16. #16
      Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Kromoh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Some rocky planet with water
      Posts
      3,993
      Likes
      86
      I think it has to do with the place and people you were brought up with. I do have a major preference of white skinned people over dark skinned people, but that's probably because my skin is also white. A point worth pointing is that it's also rare for me to like germanics or indians. Repeating, I think it has to do with the place and people you were brought up with.

      Also worth pointing out is that, when I travel to places which have a large population of dark skinned people, I also tend to find them much more attractive.

      ...
      Finally, prejudice or fact, blacks pwn europeans and asiatics when it comes to dancing. I've danced with many beginners to ballroom dancing, and it's like black-skinned people were born knowing how to dance. Take that however you want. Prejudice is in the eye of the beholder.
      ~Kromoh

      Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

    17. #17
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Quote Originally Posted by Kromoh View Post
      Finally, prejudice or fact, blacks pwn europeans and asiatics when it comes to dancing. I've danced with many beginners to ballroom dancing, and it's like black-skinned people were born knowing how to dance. Take that however you want. Prejudice is in the eye of the beholder.
      I can't dance, nor am I that good at sports.
      Things are not as they seem

    18. #18
      Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Kromoh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Some rocky planet with water
      Posts
      3,993
      Likes
      86
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff777 View Post
      I can't dance, nor am I that good at sports.
      You should compare yourself to a Japanese in the same situation.
      ~Kromoh

      Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

    19. #19
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Quote Originally Posted by Kromoh View Post
      You should compare yourself to a Japanese in the same situation.
      Are you presupposing that I'd still be better? If so, I'm afraid you'd be wrong.
      Things are not as they seem

    20. #20
      Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Kromoh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Some rocky planet with water
      Posts
      3,993
      Likes
      86
      Exceptions exist. But still, I doubt it.
      ~Kromoh

      Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

    21. #21
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Quote Originally Posted by Kromoh View Post
      Exceptions exist. But still, I doubt it.
      -sigh- Oh Kromoh...
      Things are not as they seem

    22. #22
      widdershins modality Taosaur's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Ohiopolis
      Posts
      4,843
      Likes
      1003
      DJ Entries
      19
      Does skin color affect attractiveness? Yes. In a predictable fashion? No.

      I've been strongly attracted to women (and a few men) in many, many colors and from all over the world, though I've only been with paleface blondes and redheads, because they're the ones who crawl into bed with me, which is pretty much the only way I end up laid or in a relationship. In theory, I'm more attracted to olive/brown skinned people, but in practice I end up with white country girls.
      If you have a sense of caring for others, you will manifest a kind of inner strength in spite of your own difficulties and problems. With this strength, your own problems will seem less significant and bothersome to you. By going beyond your own problems and taking care of others, you gain inner strength, self-confidence, courage, and a greater sense of calm.Dalai Lama



    23. #23
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      While I can say that I generally like light skin over dark skin, I think the individual features of a person matter more. When I say "I find asians attractive", it's not because of their skin colour. Likewise, for the *most* part, I don't find myself attracted to black women, but it's not so much because of pigmentation, as it is because of general features. At the risk of getting in trouble for not censoring myself: a lot of them have the "big lips + big ass" thing going, and that just doesn't do it for me.

    24. #24
      Haplogroup E1b1a
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      5
      Likes
      0
      It's not racist at all. It all depends on personal preference. My peference ranges from tan skin tones to dark skin tones.

      I'm not attracted to really pale skin, or redheads (especially with freckles).
      If I date a caucasian he would have to be pretty tan or Mediterranean looking.

    25. #25
      Member Souperman22's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      287
      Likes
      1
      1. I find lighter skin more attractive than dark. Pasty whiteness isn't good, but I do consider whites/Asians/Hispanics more attractive than blacks in the vast majority of cases.

      2. I suppose blacks think differently, but I imagine most whites agree.

      3. It's no more racist than having sexual preferences based on any other aspect of appearance; weight, hair color, etc.

      Women might think differently, because they probably judge men on looks less than men do women.

      Since interracial marriage doesn't seem as common as marriages of one race, it seems that people probably are attracted to people more like themselves.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff777 View Post
      unfasten your pants and go crazy
      Greater than 99.9% of the people in the world fail to see that PhilosopherStoned is ideally suited to be the totalitarian dictator of the world in perpetuity. If you are one of the ones that do, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •