• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    Like Tree12Likes
    • 7 Post By Clyde Machine
    • 2 Post By ExoByte
    • 1 Post By Clyde Machine
    • 1 Post By Daydreamer14
    • 1 Post By Hukif

    Thread: Was It A Lucid Dream? Ask Here!

    1. #1
      http://bit.ly/GoToCME Clyde Machine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      Above 31.
      Gender
      Location
      Midland, Michigan
      Posts
      1,396
      Likes
      160
      DJ Entries
      55

      Was It A Lucid Dream? Ask Here!


      An official thread for this question!

      Hey, DeeVee folks! It's Clyde here, and I've seen the last topic on "Was this lucid dream?" that I care to. Here's why:

      Most of the time if not every time, I it let go by with the simple explanation: Read the definition of a lucid dream and answer it yourself.
      From Wikipedia: Lucid dreaming.
      "A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that she or he is dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, she or he can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment. Lucid dreams can seem extremely real and vivid depending on a person's level of self-awareness during the lucid dream.[1]"
      From Dictionary.com: Lucid dream.
      "Main Entry: lucid dream
      Part of Speech: n
      Definition: a dream state in which one is conscious enough to recognize that one is in the dream state and which stays in one's memory"
      That answer your question? I hope it did, and I hope you had a lucid dream! However, if you are still not sure if what you experienced was a lucid dream, please post it in its entirety here, and we will do our best to help you decide if what you had was indeed an experience where you were aware you were in a dream.

      Please note the following about lucid and non-lucid dreams:
      • Simply saying "I am dreaming" within a dream does not mean you are lucid, unless you actually realize it.
      • Just as you can have a lucid dream and NOT have control, it is possible to have a non-lucid dream and HAVE control. Control does not imply lucidity!
      • The only person who can truly tell if what you experienced was a lucid dream is yourself, so make sure you're asking yourself the right questions, and are being honest with yourself. This topic is intended to help if you're really unsure and want a second opinion.

      Thank you!
      Last edited by ExoByte; 03-14-2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Added paragraph at OPs request.
      DV Dictionary. / Verious: a definition. /

      I'm not on DV much these days, but I'll try to toss a cool dream or two into my DJ.

    2. #2
      THE anime nub :D What??Me??'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      I don't know, but it's cold
      Posts
      281
      Likes
      14
      One problem.... If our noobs have never been to the forum before, how are they going to find this?

      Quote Originally Posted by Portalboat View Post
      So, that means you'll have boobs bigger then all of theirs combined? Because all of them have pretty big boobs
      Quote Originally Posted by Mario92 View Post
      Now that I'm done shrieking like a little girl, this sounds like fun.

    3. #3
      http://bit.ly/GoToCME Clyde Machine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      Above 31.
      Gender
      Location
      Midland, Michigan
      Posts
      1,396
      Likes
      160
      DJ Entries
      55
      Well, the hope is that such new members will have read up on lucid dreaming enough to know the definition of the term, but of course there will be those who are a little excited and just jump right in with their questions. I imagine with the amount of activity regarding those topics I keep seeing, this topic won't be disappearing into the forum's past topics for a while.

      I don't know if this is considered an important enough topic to get pinned/stickied, to ensure it doesn't get lost, considering it's such a simple question to have answered, but that would be one more answer to how this would be found by the new members: when the go into the Lucid Experiences board, this will be in there for them to find.

      And one more thing, this should pop up in a search of topics, so assuming users are following the rules about searching before posting on such matters, this will likely be a catchall for most of the future threads asking the question.
      DV Dictionary. / Verious: a definition. /

      I'm not on DV much these days, but I'll try to toss a cool dream or two into my DJ.

    4. #4
      * Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mariano's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      534
      Likes
      7
      no, this is ridiculous!
      who are you to tell people if they have a lucid dream or not?
      if they already know the definition, then they should know if they have a lucid dream or not.
      it's funny, because if you say in a dream "oh I'm dreaming, I know I am in my bed" and the dream becomes a bit more vivid, and you start to control the dream a bit by flying and all of those things....IT'S DOESN'T NECESARILY MEANS THAT YOU REALLY KNOW YOU ARE DREAMING!
      often newbies experience this and say "was this a lucid?"
      WE CAN'T ANSWER THAT MY FRIEND!!!
      they are the only who can answer that, already knowing the definition...
      Dreams can have any plot, even the plot can be about you "knowing" you are dreaming, and wanting to wake up. the problem is knowing how to diferentiate between the plot of the dream, and the conscious decisions!

      now, we must answer this, to them:

      "¿did you KNOW you where dreaming? it's doesn't matter what you said, what you done, what matters is what you KNEW."

      when they have this doubt: "was this a lucid?" the most probably answer is NO.
      because if you don't know what happened, we can't answer you this because we are not YOU, even if we are in your mind, we can't tell you if you were lucid or not, because the only who can answer that is the dreamer!

    5. #5
      Member YYNYM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      LD Count
      35
      Gender
      Posts
      357
      Likes
      37
      If you say "I am dreaming," and you really are dreaming, your most likely lucid. If the dream world becomes clearer and you start to fly, your lucid. End of story.
      I'm back!

    6. #6
      Cosmic Citizen ExoByte's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      LD Count
      ~A Dozen
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      4,394
      Likes
      116
      Quote Originally Posted by YYNYM View Post
      If you say "I am dreaming," and you really are dreaming, your most likely lucid. If the dream world becomes clearer and you start to fly, your lucid. End of story.

      Not necessarily. I've had many dreams where I've made the declaration that I'm dreaming, but never actually become conscious of my Dream. Its only a Lucid Dream if you (Ego) know you're dreaming. It isn't lucid simply because your dream self/character/representation (Id) states it.

      Only when you are conscious of the fact that you are Dreaming. A statement is merely words. Its the experience that dictates a lucid dream.

      Did you know you were dreaming? Yes. It was Lucid.
      Did you know you were Dreaming? No. It was not.
      Clyde Machine and Serenity like this.
      This space is reserved for signature text. A signature goes here. A signature is static combination of words at the end of a post. This is not a signature. Its a signature placeholder. One day my signature will go here.

      Signed,
      Me

    7. #7
      http://bit.ly/GoToCME Clyde Machine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      Above 31.
      Gender
      Location
      Midland, Michigan
      Posts
      1,396
      Likes
      160
      DJ Entries
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
      no, this is ridiculous!
      who are you to tell people if they have a lucid dream or not?
      if they already know the definition, then they should know if they have a lucid dream or not.
      it's funny, because if you say in a dream "oh I'm dreaming, I know I am in my bed" and the dream becomes a bit more vivid, and you start to control the dream a bit by flying and all of those things....IT'S DOESN'T NECESARILY MEANS THAT YOU REALLY KNOW YOU ARE DREAMING!
      often newbies experience this and say "was this a lucid?"
      WE CAN'T ANSWER THAT MY FRIEND!!!
      they are the only who can answer that, already knowing the definition...
      Dreams can have any plot, even the plot can be about you "knowing" you are dreaming, and wanting to wake up. the problem is knowing how to diferentiate between the plot of the dream, and the conscious decisions!

      now, we must answer this, to them:

      "¿did you KNOW you where dreaming? it's doesn't matter what you said, what you done, what matters is what you KNEW."

      when they have this doubt: "was this a lucid?" the most probably answer is NO.
      because if you don't know what happened, we can't answer you this because we are not YOU, even if we are in your mind, we can't tell you if you were lucid or not, because the only who can answer that is the dreamer!
      Wait, so you proved the point of this topic? You're pretty silly, Mariano. I mean, you said that being in control and saying you're dreaming isn't enough to be lucid - that you have to actually KNOW you're dreaming. Well, if you would actually take the time to read posts instead of jumping on them and accusing them of things they never said, you just may have seen that in my original post, I explicitly used the Wikipedia and Dictionary.com definitions of lucid dreaming, both of which say that you have to be aware that you're dreaming, not that saying it was a prerequisite, not that having control was a prerequisite.

      And, that's what this topic is here for. For those who just haven't figured out that lucidity is based upon whether or not you know you're dreaming, or may have forgotten it, or are just not quite sure one way or another, that's what this topic is for. Did that help you understand what I said better? If not, it's right up at the top of the topic.

      Quote Originally Posted by ExoByte View Post

      Not necessarily. I've had many dreams where I've made the declaration that I'm dreaming, but never actually become conscious of my Dream. Its only a Lucid Dream if you (Ego) know you're dreaming. It isn't lucid simply because your dream self/character/representation (Id) states it.

      Only when you are conscious of the fact that you are Dreaming. A statement is merely words. Its the experience that dictates a lucid dream.

      Did you know you were dreaming? Yes. It was Lucid.
      Did you know you were Dreaming? No. It was not.
      Couldn't have explained it better myself.
      Itachi likes this.
      DV Dictionary. / Verious: a definition. /

      I'm not on DV much these days, but I'll try to toss a cool dream or two into my DJ.

    8. #8
      Off with the fairies... Daydreamer14's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      LD Count
      50+
      Gender
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      324
      Likes
      32
      Wow.

      I think it's a good idea, actually.

      Lots of people post threads asking if their dreams were lucid or not, because sometimes dreams are complicated.
      I think this is a good idea for a thread.

      Thanks Clyde.
      Clyde Machine likes this.

    9. #9
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal
      Hukif's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      LD Count
      6584
      Gender
      Location
      México
      Posts
      4,123
      Likes
      1148
      DJ Entries
      94
      I like this thread, a lot.
      Clyde Machine likes this.
      Creating a new persistent realm, claiming it and breaking the last seal I made back in the beggining of my journey are my goals right now

    10. #10
      * Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Mariano's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      534
      Likes
      7
      oh man, yes, weird, because I already read the whole topic.
      oh sorry =P.

      but exobyte explains it perfectly.

    11. #11
      http://bit.ly/GoToCME Clyde Machine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      Above 31.
      Gender
      Location
      Midland, Michigan
      Posts
      1,396
      Likes
      160
      DJ Entries
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
      oh man, yes, weird, because I already read the whole topic.
      oh sorry =P.

      but exobyte explains it perfectly.
      'Sall good, man.
      DV Dictionary. / Verious: a definition. /

      I'm not on DV much these days, but I'll try to toss a cool dream or two into my DJ.

    12. #12
      Back from Hiatus! BigFan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Posts
      1,505
      Likes
      72
      DJ Entries
      86
      hmm, interesting thread, especially exobyte's post considering I recently had a dream where I tried to RC, didn't work so I RC'd again maybe a minute later and declared that I am dreaming at which point I teleported out of the place and then lost my lucidity. In comparison to my first LD, I didn't get the same conscious feeling though, so, I assumed that it was a moment of lucidity, since, I was able to just teleport out, however, the camera got stuck after the teleportation
      # of LDs so far: DILD-1, WILD-0, Awareness-5
      Max Dreams recalled in one night: 3
      Goals: Learn to fly [] - Find out more about myself [] - Explore the sea [] - Pray in an LD []
      Read my DJ: Whirlwind of Dreams
      Read my current research: CAT Research
      Read my meditation experiences: Meditation Experiences

    13. #13
      The Disambiguous Camel Cabletv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      LD Count
      9
      Gender
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      57
      Likes
      2
      Yeah but sometimes it is difficult to clarify. I mean, sometimes your dream ego thinks your dreaming, as you're sort of passively observing him/her thinking that, but whether YOU think it and realise its a dream version of you is different.

      I actually had 2 last night, in the same dream where I gained and lost lucidity (after waking up from one dream STILL IN MY DREAM, I dreamed I wrote in my DJ and went back to sleep, and had another one...). I had WILDed IN MY DREAM to produce a lucid dream my dream ego dreamt. Then I woke up for real, and looked at my DJ ready to expand on some of the notes, but it wasn't there. Still, I recorded it, but I'm pretty sure I was lucid, and I fought to control the dreams. I flew too, and was more awesome than normal as I was consciously trying it with a 3-jump-method and got pretty high...usually, when I'm non-lucid, I struggle for height, then sorta float down.

      Anyways, enough rambling...good idea for a thread, though.
      --------
      DILDs: 8
      WILDs: 1
      LDs: 9
      --------
      DreamViews Dream Journal and Goals Coming Soon!

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •