• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 105
    Like Tree5Likes

    Thread: Space cannot be infinite

    1. #1
      Oneironaut Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      SleepyCookieDough's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      985
      Likes
      14

      Space cannot be infinite

      Space cannot be infinite because then there would be an infinity of solar system, meaning an infinity of planets resulting in an infinity of peoples. There cannot be an infinite of peoples because there cannot be an infinity of spirits.

      Infinity is not a number. It just never stop going but that is impossible. Only numbers go to infinity but most numbers will never be used since they go to infinity meaning that trillions of trillions of trillions of number will not be used. Actually, what I just said is wrong. infinity doesn't represent a large number. An infinity of numbers will never be used. That's the actual statement. And time might be infinite too.

      Its sorta hard to explain though..
      OOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO
      "He was unrespectful to the Dream Pirate"
      said the seal after beating up my brother

      RESPECT THE DREAM PIRATE or the sea animals will get you! ARG! ARG! ARG!

      Goals [ ]Jump on a trempoline with an elephant [ ]Meet Dream Pirate and give him a gift
      [ ]Shapeshift [ ]Spy on a DC [x]Fly

    2. #2
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by SleepyCookieDough View Post
      Space cannot be infinite because then there would be an infinity of solar system, meaning an infinity of planets resulting in an infinity of peoples. There cannot be an infinite of peoples because there cannot be an infinity of spirits.
      Why can't there be an infinite number of people? How do we know spirits exist? That's not valid.
      Infinity is not a number. It just never stops going but that is impossible.
      It's not a number. However, it can be used as a limit, or lack thereof. Why is it impossible that it doesn;t stop going? Just because it's impossible to picture, doesn't mean that it's impossible. Maybe we just can't percieve it. We can't percieve a 4D cube (tesseract) because we are 3D objects, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible. It's a bit ignorant to say that.
      Only numbers go to infinity but most numbers will never be used since they go to infinity meaning that trillions of trillions of trillions of number will not be used. Actually, what I just said is wrong. infinity doesn't represent a large number. An infinity of numbers will never be used. That's the actual statement. And time might be infinite too.

      Its sorta hard to explain though..
      Time isn't infinite: Time is part of space. We percieve time as a linear movement of events. However, that's not true, but it does make sense for what we use it for, like what "time" we have to be at a place. It works.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    3. #3
      Fnarclop!
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      162
      Likes
      8
      Space can be infinite, but there can only be finite amount of matter. Therefore there is a finite amount of solar systems and a finite amount of people.

      Personally i think space is big. Really big. You just wouldn't believe how vastly, hugely, mindboggelingly big it is... And so on...

    4. #4
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Why can't there be an infinite amount of matter?

      You people need to have backup and explanations for your statements.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    5. #5
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Space cannot be infinite because then there would be an infinity of solar system, meaning an infinity of planets resulting in an infinity of peoples. There cannot be an infinite of peoples because there cannot be an infinity of spirits.
      Although you phrased it like one, this is not a coherent logical deduction.

      You need to explain why there cannot be an infinity of 'spirits'.

    6. #6
      Member Bonsay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Location
      In a pot.
      Posts
      2,706
      Likes
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by Sound View Post
      Personally i think space is big. Really big. You just wouldn't believe how vastly, hugely, mindboggelingly big it is... And so on...
      lol

      Also... "who are you" to say that there are spirits, or how many there can be? Besides, why couldn't there be an infinite amount of space, but a limited amount of matter.
      C:\Documents and Settings\Akul\My Documents\My Pictures\Sig.gif

    7. #7
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Although you phrased it like one, this is not a coherent logical deduction.

      You need to explain why there cannot be an infinity of 'spirits'.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonsay View Post
      lol

      Also... "who are you" to say that there are spirits, or how many there can be? Besides, why couldn't there be an infinite amount of space, but a limited amount of matter.
      As I have said before.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    8. #8
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Thanks.

    9. #9
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Of course.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    10. #10
      Antagonist Invader's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Discordia
      Posts
      3,239
      Likes
      533
      Quote Originally Posted by SleepyCookieDough View Post
      Space cannot be infinite because then there would be an infinity of solar system
      There is no evidence to suggest that endless space requires and endless amount of matter/energy. Your argument is void because of that alone.

      Is it not possible for a fixed amount of matter to exist, and endless space to extend beyond it?

    11. #11
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      To be honest we just need somebody who knows something about General Relativity. I have a feeling that space itself is finite and expanding, but I'm not sure.

    12. #12
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      I know about General Relativity. I've been reading Stephen Hawking's book A Breifer History of Time.

      I believe that space is finite, but is eternally expanding.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    13. #13
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      I've read it too, but there is a distinction between an expanding universe and expanding space... can you get a quote?

    14. #14
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      In a little, I put it down a few weeks ago, haven't had a chance to pick it up again. I'll try to get one later.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    15. #15
      Member Bonsay's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Location
      In a pot.
      Posts
      2,706
      Likes
      60
      I think that the universe loops around, so if you go into one direction you'll come back to the same spot. Well, I actually just don't comprehend an edge of the universe and this would make sense. It's also one of the theories - that it's bent through another dimension. It would make the universe be a whole entity, but what do I know...
      C:\Documents and Settings\Akul\My Documents\My Pictures\Sig.gif

    16. #16
      Member Specialis Sapientia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      LD Count
      150
      Gender
      Location
      Copenhagen, Denmark
      Posts
      840
      Likes
      20
      I thought astrophysics already had covered this

      The universe is not infinite, it is expanding in all directions, including already existing space (The expanding balloon analogy).

      The observable Universe is 93 billion light years in diameter.

      Two pictures:






      These are the biggest structures of the Universe: Superclusters, each supercluster contains up to thousands of galaxies.



      You might also want to read on matter in the univers



      Obviously there are no infinite amount of matter in the Universe, if the Universe was infinite in its space heath death would be the case, and we would not exist.

    17. #17
      Member Specialis Sapientia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      LD Count
      150
      Gender
      Location
      Copenhagen, Denmark
      Posts
      840
      Likes
      20
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      I've read it too, but there is a distinction between an expanding universe and expanding space... can you get a quote?
      Exellenct artile on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space

      This illustration illustrates it pretty well.


    18. #18
      What's up <span class='glow_006400'>[SomeGuy]</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      About 1
      Gender
      Location
      Tmux on Debian
      Posts
      2,862
      Likes
      128
      DJ Entries
      4
      Strangematter.

      Hey guys, I'm back. Feels good man
      ---------------------------------------------------
      WTF|Jesus lul
      spam removed

    19. #19
      Drowning in Dreams Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_8B0000'>Zhaylin</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      c. 6 since join
      Gender
      Location
      Central West Virginia, USA
      Posts
      5,767
      Likes
      4703
      DJ Entries
      199
      Please correct the word I'm about to use if it's improper (and most likely is).
      My husband thinks the universe is like a modius (????) loop- similar to the symbol for infinity which is used in conveyor belts. He thinks it just loops about itself but at the same time is constantly expanding.
      I have no idea what he's talking about lol, but it seems to make "sense".

      I don't believe in spirits (as in ghosts) but I do believe in God, Satan, Angels and Demons- and even though I have no logic to back it up and it's not supported by my religious beliefs, I personally feel that such spiritual creatures live in a separate plane of reality that at times overlaps with our own. Perhaps they even influence such overlaps.

      All of this stuff is way over my head though and I get sick just trying to make sense of it all lol, so I tend to not dwell too deeply on it (space, time, direction is something my brain has a hard time processing. If I try to picture a map in my mind to try to figure out where I'm going or have been I literally become dizzy because the map refuses to stablize.)

    20. #20
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      4,571
      Likes
      1070
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
      modius
      Mobius. And I think it's supposed to have the two dots over the O, but I can't be bothered to open up the character map to find them.

    21. #21
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Bay Area
      Posts
      115
      Likes
      1
      That argument does make any sense lol

      the casiopaeans explain about the universe much better thank-you very much
      11:11

    22. #22
      .. / .- / .- .-. guitarboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      LD Count
      Over 9000
      Gender
      Location
      Homeward Bound
      Posts
      1,571
      Likes
      49
      Quote Originally Posted by Sound View Post
      Space can be infinite, but there can only be finite amount of matter.
      Everything is matter...
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
      Mobius. And I think it's supposed to have the two dots over the O, but I can't be bothered to open up the character map to find them.
      Like a M&#246;bius band? The universe is like that ???
      Last edited by guitarboy; 06-08-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: double post

    23. #23
      Drowning in Dreams Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_8B0000'>Zhaylin</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      LD Count
      c. 6 since join
      Gender
      Location
      Central West Virginia, USA
      Posts
      5,767
      Likes
      4703
      DJ Entries
      199
      Thank you! That's what it is.

      But I don't know why I said anything at all seeing how none of this makes much sense to me any how

    24. #24
      The Anti-Member spockman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,500
      Likes
      132
      Space cannot be infinite because then there would be an infinity of solar system, meaning an infinity of planets resulting in an infinity of peoples. There cannot be an infinite of peoples because there cannot be an infinity of spirits.

      Infinity is not a number. It just never stop going but that is impossible. Only numbers go to infinity but most numbers will never be used since they go to infinity meaning that trillions of trillions of trillions of number will not be used. Actually, what I just said is wrong. infinity doesn't represent a large number. An infinity of numbers will never be used. That's the actual statement. And time might be infinite too.

      Its sorta hard to explain though..
      One thing about these trains of thought is that you have to keep supporting your claims. Your argument, there cannot be infinite solar systems because there cannot be infinite planets because there cannot be infinite people because there cannot be infinite spirits because there cannot be infinite... Infinite what? You have to keep going. Granted, you have to stop somewhere. But you can't stop until you reach a scientific law. Eventually you may reach 'because of thermodynamics' or 'because of gravity.' Something like that.

      That notwithstanding, you make alot of assumptions in your argument. The whole big bang goes off of alot of assumptions, as well. I'll allow that something like Evolution does, too, but it is supported by so much objective evidence that it becomes a logical belief. The evidence outweighs the assumptions. With the big bang theory, the assumptions outweigh the evidence. That's not to say it's wrong. That's just to say that we are incredibly ignorant about quantam physics and dark matter and black holes, etc. We've alot of hypothesis on this idea. Very few theories. So we can't use the big bang as an assumption.

      So, yeah, people who try and qoute the 'expanding universe' thing as some scientific concensus, or the idea that 'light hasn't reached every corner of the galaxy yet' as fact are being presumptious. I've read some stuff about Stephen Hawking's/Einstien's ideas. Nothing major, so I'm no expert. But realize that sooo much of the concepts presented by either of those gentelman are thought expiriments. They are interesting to think about, and certainly presented by remarkably intelligent gentleman, but they have little objective value.

      My point is that nobody knows the answer to the question invited in the OP. It is fun to discuss, but if everyone talks about this topic under the pretense that there aren't any sides as these are suppositional/conjectural opinions than the discussion will go much smoother. No-one should try and take an I'm right, you're wrong attitude. We are all just having a friendly discussion on the 'maybes' of science. Or we should, at any rate.
      Last edited by spockman; 06-08-2009 at 03:12 AM.
      Paul is Dead




    25. #25
      Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Kromoh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Some rocky planet with water
      Posts
      3,993
      Likes
      86
      Quote Originally Posted by SleepyCookieDough View Post
      Space cannot be infinite because then there would be an infinity of solar system
      Not necessarily. Space could be infinite and have nothing more than our known universe.

      meaning an infinity of planets resulting in an infinity of peoples. There cannot be an infinite of peoples because there cannot be an infinity of spirits.
      ...

      To avoid the flames, I'll keep it short: religion is not logic, and religion is not logical. Don't use spirits in logical reasoning, or the result will not be true.

      Infinity is not a number.
      It depends on how you define it. If you define it as just an arbitrarily large number, it is not a number. If you define it as larger than any real number, and not having any number greater than it, then infinity is a number.

      It just never stop going but that is impossible.
      Impossible in the real field. The definition of virtual is: that which would be real, if it existed.

      Only numbers go to infinity
      Of course, because infinity is a number. You can't say "only flowers are flowers" and use it as argument. Mathematics is a model for understanding the universe.

      but most numbers will never be used since they go to infinity meaning that trillions of trillions of trillions of number will not be used. Actually, what I just said is wrong. infinity doesn't represent a large number. An infinity of numbers will never be used. That's the actual statement. And time might be infinite too.
      Yup, you were right this time. Matter is: time is not only infinite in the direction of the future, but also in the direction of the past.

      Its sorta hard to explain though..
      Indeed.

      ---------


      I didn't use any cosmo- or quantum-physics because I don't think those sciences are advanced enough, and also because they don't (yet) deal with other hypothetical or virtual realities. But they do provide you with a great deal of explanations, in case you're interested.
      Last edited by Kromoh; 06-08-2009 at 04:39 AM.
      ~Kromoh

      Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •