• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    View Poll Results: Clockwise or Counter Clockwise

    Voters
    16. You may not vote on this poll
    • Clockwise

      12 75.00%
    • Counter Clockwise

      4 25.00%
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 31
    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      In my mind
      Posts
      73
      Likes
      0

      Question Right Brain/ Left Brain

      Look at my avatar and tell which way it's spinning for you

      LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS - Counter Clockwise
      uses logic
      detail oriented
      facts rule
      words and language
      present and past
      math and science
      can comprehend
      knowing
      acknowledges
      order/pattern perception
      knows object name
      reality based
      forms strategies
      practical
      safe

      RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS - Clockwise
      uses feeling
      "big picture" oriented
      imagination rules
      symbols and images
      present and future
      philosophy & religion
      can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
      believes
      appreciates
      spatial perception
      knows object function
      fantasy based
      presents possibilities
      impetuous
      risk taking
      Last edited by TheMind; 03-02-2009 at 05:18 AM.

    2. #2
      Bio-Turing Machine O'nus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Gender
      Location
      - Canada -
      Posts
      4,167
      Likes
      116
      I love this illusion but don't let all the "psychology" fool you. Nearly all of the functions of the brain are in co-operation of both sides. This is a myth of neurology that is pounded into 101 courses. Born from the idea of adamant reductionism, the mind is more convoluted than that and is not entirely dependent on one hemisphere for mind functions. This is how savants are able to survive.

      ~

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      In my mind
      Posts
      73
      Likes
      0
      true, but just as you have a dominant hand, you have a dominant hemisphere. I tend to be more right brained, but every now and then, it spins the other way. didn't really intend for a debate, just thought it would be a good idea since the doomsday thread got hung up on my avatar, they and others could just come here.

    4. #4
      Bio-Turing Machine O'nus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Gender
      Location
      - Canada -
      Posts
      4,167
      Likes
      116
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMind View Post
      true, but just as you have a dominant hand, you have a dominant hemisphere. I tend to be more right brained, but every now and then, it spins the other way. didn't really intend for a debate, just thought it would be a good idea since the doomsday thread got hung up on my avatar, they and others could just come here.
      True that.

      ~

    5. #5
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      In my mind
      Posts
      73
      Likes
      0
      so are you right or left?

    6. #6
      Bio-Turing Machine O'nus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Gender
      Location
      - Canada -
      Posts
      4,167
      Likes
      116
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMind View Post
      so are you right or left?
      Well I can easily switch it back and forth. Once the leg is pointing left or right it's my choice to switch. You can even make the dancer look like she's just swinging her leg back and forth in front of her by switching back and forth between clock wise-counter clock-wise at the leg points. There ought to be an option for both.

      ~

    7. #7
      Waste of Space
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Posts
      409
      Likes
      1
      It's going clockwise at the moment, but I think I've seen it go counterclockwise before without willing it. All of the attributes from both hemispheres seem to apply to me, so maybe I'm neither.

    8. #8
      ├┼┼┼┼┤
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Gender
      Location
      Equestria
      Posts
      6,315
      Likes
      1191
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by paragon View Post
      It's going clockwise at the moment, but I think I've seen it go counterclockwise before without willing it. All of the attributes from both hemispheres seem to apply to me, so maybe I'm neither.
      You do not have a brain.

      ---------
      Lost count of how many lucid dreams I've had
      ---------

    9. #9
      Dead Roach Samuel Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Kiza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      945
      Likes
      16
      Right brain, apparently.

      I completely disagree.

    10. #10
      infrequent poster, DC Desert Claw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Brisbane, Australia
      Posts
      775
      Likes
      59
      DJ Entries
      19
      Im sorry but i dont see how it could be counter clockwise, no matter how i look at it. i can't even remember what is was going to say because im too distracted with your avatar!
      wait! i see it now! but i still cant remember what i was going to say

      that illusion only works at an eye level angle by the way
      thats why it appears clockwise to so many people.
      Last edited by Desert Claw; 03-02-2009 at 08:36 AM.

    11. #11
      ex-redhat ClouD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      4,760
      Likes
      129
      DJ Entries
      1
      Ok wow, at first I thought this could only go clockwise, and was convinced there was no other way.
      Then I looked at the foot reflection and it changed.
      Then I looked at the body, and it went one way then the next and kept reversing all the time, now it's just going counter-clockwise.

      I can't seem to change it deliberately though.

      Edit: I can change it to counter-clockwise now by blinking and visualising direction, but it always defaults to clockwise at first glance.

    12. #12
      ├┼┼┼┼┤
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Gender
      Location
      Equestria
      Posts
      6,315
      Likes
      1191
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Desert Claw View Post
      Im sorry but i dont see how it could be counter clockwise, no matter how i look at it. i can't even remember what is was going to say because im too distracted with your avatar!
      wait! i see it now! but i still cant remember what i was going to say

      that illusion only works at an eye level angle by the way
      thats why it appears clockwise to so many people.

      You're wrong, I can do it at any angle. The illusion plays on the fact that we can't see any depth, thus we can't see whether her leg is in front of her or behind her. Supposedly, the direction she's rotating explains which brain hemisphere is dominant.

      The illusion uses the same idea as this illusion:

      ---------
      Lost count of how many lucid dreams I've had
      ---------

    13. #13
      FightingDreamer Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Higurashi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Here
      Posts
      757
      Likes
      3
      Originally it went clockwise for me, but I've been able to make it go the other way ^.^

    14. #14
      Member Amethyst Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Atashermi
      Posts
      6,856
      Likes
      63
      It goes clockwise for me. If I focus on the reflection I can make it go the other way and then see the leg go counter-clockwise, but once I look at the arms it starts going back to clockwise.

      Need more effort!!!

      "If there was one thing the lucid dreaming ninja writer could not stand, it was used car salesmen."

    15. #15
      DuB
      DuB is offline
      Distinct among snowflakes DuB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      2,399
      Likes
      361
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMind View Post
      true, but just as you have a dominant hand, you have a dominant hemisphere.
      True, but while this has some effect on things like handedness and lateralization of language functions, it does not predict any aspect of personality. Anyway it's a moot point, since this illusion has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance and everything to do with how we interpret 3D images on a 2D plane.

      And for the record (just so that I'm not jumping in here solely to be contentious ), I've been acquainted with this illusion for many months and have yet to ever see it spin counter-clockwise...

    16. #16
      Member Ishi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      27
      Likes
      0
      What if it switches between both?

    17. #17
      Waste of Space
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Posts
      409
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Ishi View Post
      What if it switches between both?
      Does that for me if I stare at it for a while, too. Weird.

    18. #18
      Dead Roach Samuel Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Kiza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      945
      Likes
      16
      Damnit. We're all right brain dirty bastards.

    19. #19
      Callapygian Superstar Goldney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Budapest
      Posts
      1,901
      Likes
      11
      I can make it switch at will because I am leet.
      *............*............*

    20. #20
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Gender
      Location
      In my mind
      Posts
      73
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by DuB View Post
      Anyway it's a moot point, since this illusion has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance and everything to do with how we interpret 3D images on a 2D plane.
      Sorry, but you're wrong. Why do I say this? Because, for most people I know (and me too), if you think artistically it spins one way, then if you think about logic it spins the other. Unfortunately this is hard to determine on a forum because the hemisphere you're using could be caused by what the last thread you saw was about. I think the only way to do it with a precise outcome would be to look at it first thing in the morning, which would be difficulf.

      EDIT: by the way, Marvo, I see your illusion font-face-down

    21. #21
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Posts
      666
      Likes
      21
      Actually I can make it spin whichever way I want. Close your eyes and visualize it spinning one way, when you open them it will be spinning that way.

    22. #22
      DuB
      DuB is offline
      Distinct among snowflakes DuB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      2,399
      Likes
      361
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMind View Post
      Sorry, but you're wrong.
      Here's what a clinical neurologist at Yale has to say. Of course, he's probably wrong too. After all, how can you argue with a handful of personal anecdotes?

    23. #23
      Xox
      USA Xox is offline
      Momentum Xox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      cloudless climes
      Posts
      4,770
      Likes
      330
      DJ Entries
      13
      I haven't seen this one for a while, I used to be able to make it switch. Can't anymore.

    24. #24
      Callapygian Superstar Goldney's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Budapest
      Posts
      1,901
      Likes
      11
      I find it hard to believe that it's truly an indication of personality dominance, seeing as EVERYONE has said that they see it spinning clockwise first.

      Probably because we're used to seeing people move forward and it is logical to assume that she woud spin that way.
      *............*............*

    25. #25
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      im here for you
      Location
      australia
      Posts
      3,677
      Likes
      415
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldney View Post
      I find it hard to believe that it's truly an indication of personality dominance, seeing as EVERYONE has said that they see it spinning clockwise first.

      Probably because we're used to seeing people move forward and it is logical to assume that she woud spin that way.
      I can only see it spinning counter-clockwise.
      Used to be able to make it spin either way, as well as rock back and forth, used to. :\

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •