• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you fall asleep?

You know, Your lying in bed and want to fall asleep, but can't. What do you do?
      A dream! What is a dream? And is not our life a dream?
      Fyodor Dostoevsky Notes From the Underground

Horseradish Taste Tester Blargh's Avatar
      Perth, Australia
      Get fustrated.

Seriously I lie there and do what I've been doing the whole time, trying to relax or let myself get carried away in my thoughts. If I've been lying there a long time and it's obvious I've made no progress I'll get on dvchat until i'm tired enough that I HAVE to fall asleep

Somewhere Out There
      Here are some things I do:

-listen to music
      -listen to a radio talk show (this especially helps because the voices put you to sleep and you don't even pay attention to what is being said
      -listen to morse code (I'm trying to learn it finally)
      -listen to a lucid dreaming mp3 (they are meant to soothe and they usually knock me out before the end)
      -get up and remake the bed if it isnt comfortable
      -day dream about something happy
      -count sheep

in the land of vikings, reindeers, Aurora Borealis and cute blonde girls
      For me, daydreaming usually does the trick. And if I have a really bad night, and no matter what I try I won't fall asleep, I just get out of bed for a little while. Without turning the lights on, except a few "low" lights.

Usually I go over to the kitchen, get myself a warm glass of milk, light a smoke and try to make peace with everything going through my head at the time. Or I just stay in bed and read a few pages of my dream journal

Here's some more tips: http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep

Portugal
      I relax my body through meditation while lying in bed with calm music and then turn to my side and fall asleep.
      LD count: 25 and counting
      My new dA account: http://vibrationdreams.deviantart.com

Banned
      I meditate if I can't get to sleep.

i have sex/masturbate.

also avaliable in blonde Scarred_for_life's Avatar
      Australia
      I close my eyes and tell myself that I won't open them until it is light outside

Everything makes sense once you stop thinking about it

Victoria B.C. Canada
      Think of sex. Roleplay in your head. I do this every single night before i fall asleep since it takes me forever to fall asleep.

Theoretically Impossible Idolfan's Avatar
      UK
      DJ Entries
      with great difficulty.

Put some funeral doom music (very slow relaxing ), lie on my back and just try to feel tired while listening to the music. Sometimes even pretend to be dead in a coffin. ^^

I don't even think about anything my body does I just try to stay on my back even though thats not my natural sleeping position.

I hear the beat of the music and feel the gap between each beat increasing. Eventually the beat is jolting me slightly after a few jolts I lose consciousness and fall asleep.

In the morning I remember at which track I fell asleep, it's usually after 3rd or 4th something like ~25 min.

get unconscious !
      RealityChecking, meditation, Q3 map making, cars, girls

LD Count
      Can't remember
      Lancashire, England
      Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
      You know, Your lying in bed and want to fall asleep, but can't. What do you do?
      Try to enter the dreaming state - You're in a dream, pretend you're dreaming. You'll soon find you like imaging stuff, then bingo - You'll find yourself lying there with your eyes closed and sleeping like a baby.

That's my sleeping method anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrofan1 View Post
      i have sex/masturbate.
      That's on and off for me.
      Last edited by Jdeadevil; 12-30-2007 at 06:51 PM.

"He who is the cause of someone else becoming powerful is the agent of his own destruction" - Ezio Auditore da Firenze (1459 - 1524)

Dream Journal l Facebook

Ontario, Canada
      Like Scarred for life said, I usually say I won't open my eyes until tomorrow. If I get desperate I count. But usually what I do is I try not to think I just tell myself to rest.

Atashermi
      Sometimes I've found that certain thoughts will keep me awake, namely related to video games (if I've been playing for a long time, or right before bed). One thing you can try is to let your mind wander, but steer it away from thoughts that might keep you awake, such as worrying about something coming up or about something that's just happened.

Another thing that might help is to get yourself into a bedtime routine. Going to bed at the same time every night, even though it may be difficult, can do wonders for falling asleep/getting up. If you get yourself into a nightly routine (i.e. brushing teeth, reading a book, etc.) your body will learn that at a certain time or when you do these things, it's time to get ready for sleep. It may take a little while to get it down, but it really can work.

"If there was one thing the lucid dreaming ninja writer could not stand, it was used car salesmen."

Contrary to other people here, if I have trouble getting to sleep I will just blank out my mind. Everytime my mind starts wandering and thinking about things, then I will immediately try to lose that thought. When successful in doing this, then you have more or less entered a meditative state and therefore easier to drift into full sleep.

DJ Entries
      Much like Boosted, I blank out. First I rid myself of all stress by saying "This is dream time. Don't worry about tomorrow until tomorrow." Basically. Then I relax my muscles, acknowledge and become indifferent to all bodily sensations and everything outside me. After that, I focus on my breath. No internal duologue, no images. I mimic the sound of my breath in my head, and fall asleep in minutes...

I'm surprised people are putting down sex and television. Those lessen the chance of drifting to sleep swiftly and comfortably...
      Last edited by Abra; 12-31-2007 at 02:30 AM.
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

Wales
      Quote Originally Posted by Jdeadevil View Post
      Try to enter the dreaming state - You're in a dream, pretend you're dreaming. You'll soon find you like imaging stuff, then bingo - You'll find yourself lying there with your eyes closed and sleeping like a baby.

That's my sleeping method anyway.

That's on and off for me.
      That works very well for me once i have been asleep, but takes alot longer before sleep.

Before slepp i put the t.v on sleep mode for about an hour (on low) and just think about random things and after a while hypnagogic imagery takes over, then i know i am close to sleep.

Melbourne, Australia
      I fantasize. Works every time. I rarely get very far into my imaginary scene before losing track and then falling asleep, then don't even remember at what point I fell asleep.

As long as I don't think about anything repetitive or regarding certain subjects. ie. Sex, something stressful coming up the next day, worrying about what someone thinks about me, anything related to sex such as girls I like etc. Those kinds of things will keep me awake.
      My Dream Journal
      Current Lucid count for 2008: 28

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

- Take a hot shower
      - Listen to Lucid MP3 and try to relax with a blank mind
      - Stroke my arm with something soft like a feather, it tickles and it makes me really sleepy

LD Count
      Can't remember
      Lancashire, England
      Quote Originally Posted by Velvet
      - Stroke my arm with something soft like a feather, it tickles and it makes me really sleepy
      Ok that's quite creepy.

"He who is the cause of someone else becoming powerful is the agent of his own destruction" - Ezio Auditore da Firenze (1459 - 1524)

Dream Journal l Facebook

Cleveland, Ohio
      DJ Entries

My Tactics

When I find that I can't fall asleep, I usually imagine a place that is familiar to me, and try to imagine doing something i'd really enjoy doing.

Take for example this...

I really enjoy videogames... so I imagine myself walking through my favorite game store, taking all the games I want off the shelves, and putting em in a big box, and purchasing all of them, with an infinite amount of money. Since this store is located in the mall, I'll drop my stuff off and check out other stores....

Pretty soon my mind wanders and I find myself dreaming.

It works!
      You do this every fucking time.
      No sweat.
      No tears.
      No guilt.
      You do this every fucking time.

http://www.myspace.com/theheroicopening

United Kingdom
      I try to relax my body to the point where I can feel almost detached from it, and listen to what I can hear outside. Somehow listening to noises outside gives me that distance feeling which then enables me to keep my mind quiet and fall asleep.

i've heard to try reading a boring book, dunno if it really works tho cuz i get bored after reading it for like 30 seconds

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Hampshire, United States
      I play video games till my sleep cycle contiunes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast