• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

PLEASE STAND BY Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

My submission for the short writing contest.

Let me know if this at all disqualifies me. Its a loose interpretation of the subject, "death", and you may want to withhold me from the contest.

Its as a spoiler because I have no where else to store it as a download... sorry.

The true fall

Spoiler for The story:
      Last edited by AspirationRealized; 02-29-2008 at 08:16 AM.
      I am posting on topic elsewhere for the most part.

My DJ here at DVs, Realized Aspiration only contains old dreams. I'll be around for the occasional chat, and some unfinished/unstarted RPs.

And you, yeah you, with the ice cream hands. You, yeah you, are my friend. ~ Still my mentor, and an awesome guy.

Veteran of the DV Wars Man of Steel's Avatar
      LD Count
      ~35
      Houston, TX
      Not bad, not bad at all, AspiR! A bit on the short side, but very well written, and the topic is completely open to interpretation, so t'is fine there.

One thing I might mention, though, is that parenthetical narrative towards the end. It doesn't quite seem to jive with the rest of the narrative, if I may be so bold as to say. Perhaps not even use words like 'forward' or 'backward', but just a more relative term. I dunno, something about the parentheses just doesn't fit with the overall feel of the story. Maybe it's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
      Not bad, not bad at all, AspiR! A bit on the short side, but very well written, and the topic is completely open to interpretation, so t'is fine there.

One thing I might mention, though, is that parenthetical narrative towards the end. It doesn't quite seem to jive with the rest of the narrative, if I may be so bold as to say. Perhaps not even use words like 'forward' or 'backward', but just a more relative term. I dunno, something about the parentheses just doesn't fit with the overall feel of the story. Maybe it's just me.
      Yeah. When I wrote this it was one of the first time an inspiration absolutely struck me. So it was saying a lot with a few words, basically raw feeling.

I haven't made too many changes since, I sort of kept it in its raw form and that came out. I sort of agree that it stands out.

Thanks for your comments though. And good luck on your submission.

Edit:

I forgot to add the title, "The true fall". Its up there now.
      Last edited by AspirationRealized; 02-29-2008 at 08:21 AM.

My DJ here at DVs, Realized Aspiration only contains old dreams. I'll be around for the occasional chat, and some unfinished/unstarted RPs.

And you, yeah you, with the ice cream hands. You, yeah you, are my friend. ~ Still my mentor, and an awesome guy.

It conjures up an image very easily and although short there's some very good snippets in there. So death was his way of escaping his fate?

Quote Originally Posted by Identity X View Post
      It conjures up an image very easily and although short there's some very good snippets in there. So death was his way of escaping his fate?
      Yes. This little snippet was a piece of a much larger storyline, but that is the basic idea.

Where I used to write/roleplay, this was considered a medium length post. My usual method of writing is much more extensive, but as I said before, this was the product of sudden violent inspiration and I wanted to convey that. Its more... content than fluff, which I often had in my writing before.

Thanks for your comments ^_^

never better Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      BuffaLOVE, New York
      I can't wait to see the rest!

Now to get more than one paragraph finished.

/cracks knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Elis D. View Post
      I can't wait to see the rest!

Now to get more than one paragraph finished.

/cracks knuckles.
      The rest? That was it, buddy.

At least for the contest.

never better Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      BuffaLOVE, New York
      Yes. This little snippet was a piece of a much larger storyline, but that is the basic idea.
      That threw me for a loop I guess. Cool, I like this by itself too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elis D. View Post
      That threw me for a loop I guess. Cool, I like this by itself too.
      Yeah, I see where the confusion came from.

This was set in a RP called "The reborne". It was pretty interesting but never made it too far. Me and my RP friends decided that the pleasure of roleplaying wasn't worth the time. Besides, all conditions have to be perfect or you waste your whole night, so...

You might see it as a book someday, though.

DJ Entries
      I like the irony in this piece (the prisoner escapes after all!). It's the perfect length to serve its purpose.
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      I like the irony in this piece (the prisoner escapes after all!). It's the perfect length to serve its purpose.
      Thank you. Especially with the comment on the length >.> I think thats what will kill me in the competition.