• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Extreme Procrastinator Paraknight's Avatar

A way to potentially drastically increase your rate of RCs.

A friend told me about this and it sounds pretty promising.
      This is what you do:

1. Buy a digital watch.
      2. Make sure it's the kind that beeps every hour (or more).
      3. Whenever it beeps, immediately pull an RC. Look at some text, a clock, plug your nose etc. You know the drill.
      4. Keep that habit up as long as you can.
      5. Every night (this is the important part), sleep with your watch on or have it on a bedside table. Make it beep every hour, or if possible, adjust it to your REM cycles.
      6. Chances are you'll hear the beeping in your dreams and your first impulse will be preforming an RC, and if not, then the beeping alone might make you go lucid just like the NovaDreamer would with it's lights.

It's basically just another EILD technique but I would imagine it works better than the NovaDreamer even if only because of that extra association factor. Results would probably improve if you use this in conjunction with WBTB, dream stimulants or anything other in that direction.

-

So far I can only report one instance where I went lucid using this technique, yet with little control (but that's just because I'm a klutz) and I also happened to have had two cans of red bull shortly before going to bed (they have the opposite effect on me) and was incredibly tired from studying for finals and stuff so results may vary.
      Just thought I'd put it out there to see what others think and possibly test the validity of this method.

right here
      I wrote about this years ago on one of the main site pages (http://www.dreamviews.com/induction.php). Does anyone read those pages?

"One simple method I have personally tried is wearing a digital watch that chimes every hour. The chime reminds me to perform a dream check, and the digital screen on the watch allows me to perform that dream check. This is great for reminding yourself to perform reality checks during the day, but in doing so you condition yourself to perform a reality check upon the presence of the chime. Without the presence of this stimulus, you’ll likely forget to perform reality checks. Therein lies the impediment of this method: you have to be someone who sleeps “light” enough to be aware of the chimes of your watch and allow them to enter your dreams from the real world. I personally achieved little success with this method. While I would regard myself as a light sleep—I often wake up during the night—I was unaware of my watch’s chimes while sleeping. Coupling this method with other methods (such as assigning reality check times during the day, watching for strange occurrences, etc.) will lead to the greatest success with lucid dreaming."
      Each new day is a chance to turn it all around.

Extreme Procrastinator Paraknight's Avatar
      :O Sorry about that. I thought it wasn't mentioned anywhere before. I translated Induction techniques to German (http://www.dreamviews.com/community/...ad.php?t=95380) and assumed it was just the same on the main page.

So you have had some success with this method? Is it really that effective? I either wake up or sleep through everything. Wondering if I should discontinue it.

I don't really think you'll have to put the watch next to you when you sleep so that this method will work. I think the fact that you're RCing every hour helps a lot in increasing your awareness. Since after a while RCing every hour will become more of a habit, you'll probably end up naturally RCing in dreams more often and getting more lucid dreams.
      I was actually thinking about something like this about two days ago, but thought I would want something better than a hand watch. These watches have very soft beeps it's very easy to miss them.

DJ Entries
      One problem with this is that you become accustomed to RCing to a beep, instead of doing it yourself, so, if you don't hear a beep IRL or a dream, it means no RCs
      # of LDs so far: DILD-1, WILD-0, Awareness-5
      Max Dreams recalled in one night: 3
      Goals: Learn to fly [] - Find out more about myself [] - Explore the sea [] - Pray in an LD []
      Read my DJ: Whirlwind of Dreams
      Read my current research: CAT Research
      Read my meditation experiences: Meditation Experiences

LD Count
      Prospit
      DJ Entries
      Probably why body checks (nose, hands) and the doorway RC are so popular - your body is always with you (er, unless you're omnipresent), and there's a pretty high chance you'll be in a building at some point.

Still, I think the idea is cool.

"Often I will spin a tale, never will I charge a fee. I'll amuse you an entire eve, but, alas, you won't remember me. What am I?" - Sloth Demon, Dragon Age: Origins mage origin

[Dream Log @ Tumblr]

XeL
      LD Count
      130+
      Japan
      Wild icedawg appeared.
      ~XeL's DJ~
      ~Adopted by Cygnus~

LD Count
      Moonside
      DJ Entries
      Seems interesting. I'm wretched at LDing, but I have a digital watch that can chime on the hour. I already RC whenever I look at my watch, now I'll see if the beeping works as well.
      I don't usually think, therefore I mostly am not.
      Quote Originally Posted by abicus View Post
      You can not convince the one with faith who needs not look for fact that the facts "prove them wrong".
      Likewise, you cant teach some one who looks for facts to have faith in the absence of facts.