• 1 Post By DinoSawr
    • 2 Post By dutchraptor
    • 1 Post By bodin
    • 1 Post By SilverBullet
    • 1 Post By <span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>
    • 1 Post By SilverBullet

Thread: The Building Stones Of An Effective Affirmation

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

The Building Stones Of An Effective Affirmation

Affirmations is as many of you already know a very effective tool to make your dreams come true (literally).

And wouldn't it be nice to, almost like a magic spell, tell yourself that you wanted a lucid dream and then get one?

The MILD method try to make it sound that easy, although as you probably have noticed, it isn't as easy as that.

But today I am going to share four things that is really important to know about in order to set your intent effectively.

I can however not take any credit for the information, here is the video:

The Hemi Sync Process Part 6 of 8 - YouTube

But let's begin

Present Tense:

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” - Buddha

Think about this mantra for a second "The next time I am dreaming, I will realize that I am dreaming". It sounds like an OK mantra right?
      But think about it, imagine that you was actually dreaming now and you remember your mantra and think "The NEXT time I am dreaming, I will realize that I am dreaming". And then you have another dream and think of your mantra "The NEXT time I am dreaming I will realize that I am dreaming."
      Do you see the problem?

Instead choose a mantra that is in the present tense, like "I dream and I am aware".

Think of every thought being an instant manifestation (just like in a dream), and if you want to be something in the future, and continue to think that you want to be something in the future you will only continue to get the want of something in the future. Don't hope or try to be what you want, instead already be what you want!

Action Verbs:

“An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.” - Buddha

It's better to say "I dream now" and "I run fast" than to say "I am an aware dreamer" or "I am a fast runner" and it has to do with brain synapses.
      "There are more brain neurons involved in actions verbs because it involves images and everything else involved with that affirmation."
      So use actions verb to the degree you can.

Positive Statements:

“You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” - Buddha

Again, what you think you become, or even what you think you ARE.
      So if you think negative things like "This affirmation is not going to work" or "I can't remember my dreams", you are only setting a negative intent and bring that to your life. So it's really important to think about what your are going to say. Even things that at first look might sound like a positive thought like "I am getting better and better at dream recall" you are actually saying "I am not as good as I want at dream recall yet...". So think positive and think what you already want to be and it will be, like for example "I remember my dreams".

Alternate State of Consciousness:

"He is able who thinks he is able." - Buddha

This is really important and basically the biggest secret to an effective affirmation. In your wide awake ego state you are not just one person, you are the dreamview forum ego version of you, you are your loved one ego version of you, you are your ego around-friends version of you among many other personalities and there are also lots of filters and belief systems, that prevents your unconscious mind and the consciousness from accepting your affirmation. The second you think or even say out loud "I dream aware!", all these filters system tells you "That is the stupidest thing you have said in your entire life, you know it is not that simple, you know that you can't stop trying to convince yourself".

Your filters are really mean actually. But that is why this intent and affirmaion immediatelly goes into the trashcan when you state it in a wide awake beta state. It's sort of trying to post a very important letter to the president, but on the way there, there are lots of people reading it and thinking that it's the most stupid letter they've ever read.

Luckily for us we can by pass these letter readers or filters. And that is when these letters readers or filters goes to sleep.
      That way we can go directly to the Mr. President himself or our Unconscious mind and give him the letter.
      You do that by altering your consciousness down into the theta state. It's sort of like hypnosis, if we now in our wide awake state was told to bark like a dog, your ego would think "You don't have that kind of power over me!". But when the filters go to sleep and you are told in a theta state to bark like a dog, you'll think "Well it sounds reasonable to me. bark! bark! bark!"

And just think about what power an affirmation could have if you could just plan it into your unconscious directly.

Almost like Inception but not as extreme.

While setting an intention in a theta state the brain starts working differently, and it's almost like the President advisers starts discussing and say "Is this correct, does he really dream aware? Yeah do you remember the time when he was a kid he did dream aware, look it up in the file it's all in there. Oh yeah your right I see it now, ok report this to the President." And now your unconscious mind will believe and do everything in order to make you dream aware.

This last thing is very important because I am guessing that most of you are trying to set your intent as you go to sleep or something similar.

It can be done of course I have seen success with it. But you need to really convince yourself that the affirmation is true and manage to get the letter of intent through all the filters all the way to the unconsicious mind, and that can be a little difficult at times.

So I am just trying to give you a way to make your affirmations even more effective.

To learn how to enter the Theta State, I recommend that you watch all the 8 videos, because Skip is describing how to move your consciousness to the theta state, and beyond. The session is from the Monroe Institute, so if there are some terms and words like Focus 10 or Preparatory process, you can check out the Gateway Experience on their homepage or read Monroes books. But for affirmations it's not necessary to do all that, there are other ways to enter a theta state, meditation is one example.

Also keep in mind that these kind of affirmations can be used for other purposes than for lucid dreaming as well.
      If you need to stop smoking, need more confidence, or anything else that you want to change about yourself.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.” - Buddha

I hope you enjoyed it!

Namaste
      Last edited by MasterMind; 12-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Great post, but I have a few questions:

Does it matter what time you do your affirmation? Are affirmations best done right before going to bed?

Also, how does the affirmation continue to work once you return to a normal state of mind? I feel like If I were trying to affirm that I am a lucid dreamer, I would just remember that I'm actually not as soon as I am out of the theta state.
      MasterMind likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Tranquility
      DJ Entries
      Thanks mastermind, I've never really seen the point of mindlessly repeating mantras before sleep. Using self hypnosis or meditation makes so much more sense.
      PigeonSenpai and MasterMind like this.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

Quote Originally Posted by DinoSawr View Post
      Great post, but I have a few questions:

Does it matter what time you do your affirmation? Are affirmations best done right before going to bed?

Also, how does the affirmation continue to work once you return to a normal state of mind? I feel like If I were trying to affirm that I am a lucid dreamer, I would just remember that I'm actually not as soon as I am out of the theta state.
      What time you do your affirmation doesn't matter as much, it's where your point of consciousness is as you set your intent that matters.

So what you need to do to make sure that you use your mantra to your fullest potential is to enter a theta state. You do that by relaxing your physical body and by entering a meditative state, in this video they use personal training and hemi sync to program the brain to enter this state, but you can learn to do it naturally of course it have been done for hundreds of years. You don't even have to meassure the theta state with some fancy equipment, all you have to do is to relax your physical body and mind until you feel a different kind of awareness, it's impossible to describe with words, but if I had to choose words I would say peaceful, tranquil, calm. In other words a meditative state where you can state your intent without interfering with your beta state filters.

The magic with this is that you will program the unconscious mind to tell you that you are a lucid dreamer, what you then do with your conscious mind is up to you. However the whole idea of Hemi Sync is that every affirmation should start out with "I am more than my physical body, because I am more than physical matter therefore.... (Insert what ever you like here) But the point is that nothing is impossible, nothing!
      I left that part out to avoid OBE/ Soul belief systems. But for Monroe this was not only a belief, it was science!

But it is all depending on personal experience. Monroe was just offering a chance to learn how to get this experience, it's the whole idea of Hemi sync!

Quote Originally Posted by dutchraptor View Post
      Thanks mastermind, I've never really seen the point of mindlessly repeating mantras before sleep. Using self hypnosis or meditation makes so much more sense.
      Your welcome! Yeah I thought so too ^-^. And I hope that this information can help people experience the power of intention.
      Not only for lucid dreaming, but for anything in their general life as well and beyond.
      Last edited by MasterMind; 12-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.

LD Count
      This is really interesting stuff; MILD has never made any sense to me and maybe this is starting to clarify things.

I have probably-dumb questions:
      • Once in the theta state do you repeat the affirmation a set number of times, or for a set time, or what? How do you know when you're done?
      • Do you aim to repeat the affirmation many times in a semi-conscious way or do you really think about / visualise it each time?

Sorry, I realise this may seem like asking "How long is a piece of string?" but for those of us just beginning a practice like this it might be helpful to have a general idea.
      MasterMind likes this.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bodin View Post
      This is really interesting stuff; MILD has never made any sense to me and maybe this is starting to clarify things.

I have probably-dumb questions:
      • Once in the theta state do you repeat the affirmation a set number of times, or for a set time, or what? How do you know when you're done?
      • Do you aim to repeat the affirmation many times in a semi-conscious way or do you really think about / visualise it each time?

Sorry, I realise this may seem like asking "How long is a piece of string?" but for those of us just beginning a practice like this it might be helpful to have a general idea.
      That's not stupid to ask at all. And honestly I have no idea what the best approach would be. But if I am going to use my little letter of intention metaphor, I guess it doesn't matter how many times you hand over the letter to your unconscious as long as your intent is clear.

In the Gateway Experience - Hemi Sync the affirmation is actually only stated one time, however it is a very long affirmation. It goes like this:

I am more than my physical body. Because I am more than physical matter, I can perceive that which is greater than the physical world.
      Therefore, I deeply desire: to Expand, to Experience, to Know, to Understand, to Control, to Use such greater energies and energy systems as may be beneficial and constructive to me and to those who follow me.
      Also, I deeply desire the help and cooperation, the assistance, the understanding of those individuals whose wisdom, development and experience are equal or greater than my own. I ask their guidance and protection from any influence or any source that might provide me with less than my stated desires.

And I state my affirmation each time I enter the Theta state. So I guess it's something you state each time you practise.

In one of the videos Skip talks about how to navigate in a realm of thought, it's kind of obvious, you move and navigate with thought, with intent!

Just like we felt limited and unable to move when we first got into water, but later on learned to swim, we now feel limited and immobile in our thoughts!

But back to affirmations.

On each session it's enough to state it once if it's a clear intent and as long as you don't feel the need to repeat it.

The main thing is that you are going to understand that you are more than your physical body and that it is you that is in control of the intent, so that means you have to do it at your own terms. Say it once if that feels right, say it 20 times if that feels right. If you feel done you are done, if you don't feel done you aren't done, if you aren't sure wheter you are done or not, your intent isn't sure wheter it is done or not.

How you do the affirmation is up to you as well. You can visualize if that feels right, and you can just think it quietly for yourself if that feels right.
      Always remember that you are in full control of the experience and your intent.
      Last edited by MasterMind; 12-16-2012 at 09:39 PM.

LD Count
      Thank you so much for such a considered response; I'm going to set aside some time in the morning for meditation and this gives me a much clearer idea of how to proceed.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bodin View Post
      Thank you so much for such a considered response; I'm going to set aside some time in the morning for meditation and this gives me a much clearer idea of how to proceed.
      Don't mention it. I love to discuss this topic and I am currently experimenting with different states of consciousness that is induced with meditation myself.

With this tool you can overcome any obstacle. If you have trouble falling asleep unaware as you do your meditation session, then intend to be aware.
      If you don't notice your awakenings as you do your DEILD attempts, then intend to notice them. If you are lazy and can't get out of bed on your WBTB, then intend to not be lazy!

You are more than your physical body, and because you are more than your physical body you can do anything!

Also remember that you are not your ego, you are a conscious being temporarily inhabiting what you currently call yourself, and it's the ego that is the filter preventing you from intending! (This was a litte more spiritual idea, however when you not only believe but know this to be true, intending becomes natural.)
      And because of this you can fly on the wings of intent and travel through the realm of thoughts and consciousness.

Tell me how it goes and if you have any other questions feel free to ask me again, but I also recommend that you watch the whole video series.
      Bye for now.
      Last edited by MasterMind; 12-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Salud Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Somewhere In Time
      This is all very confusing. Basically we just need to say our mantra when in the theta state. Correct?

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by rynkrt3 View Post
      This is all very confusing. Basically we just need to say our mantra when in the theta state. Correct?
      Yeah that's the ideal state to intend in, however the point is to not say it in a wakefullness state when your mind and body isn't relaxed.

So relax the body and the mind, until you feel a shift in your awareness (that shift can't be expained, you will notice it when it happens), it happens on the treshold of your awake and asleep state of mind. This is the theta state affirmation.

Salud Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Somewhere In Time
      Quote Originally Posted by MasterMind View Post
      Yeah that's the ideal state to intend in, however the point is to not say it in a wakefullness state when your mind and body isn't relaxed.

So relax the body and the mind, until you feel a shift in your awareness (that shift can't be expained, you will notice it when it happens), it happens on the treshold of your awake and asleep state of mind. This is the theta state affirmation.
      Last night I laid down and began to calm my mind and my body. I was able to clear my mind of thought. About 10 minutes later my mind started to think of completely random stuff, I would become aware of it then stop it. It was like I was drifting off to sleep I think, I just usually dont pay attention to it. I assumed this was theta, so I stated my affirmation then went to sleep. No success though. Was this not the theta state?

Member Achievements:

Because of the fact that it was after 10 minutes, it sounds to me like a brainwave alpha state which is occuring when we are relaxed but still reflecting. It's still better than to intend in the beta state though. Still not optimal but with some more nights the message will probably go through.

Although try to stay aware, still relaxed for a little bit longer and you are by then in a way sleeping consciously, and when it feels like you just want to be aware but no longer feel the need to think at all, and you in a sense is already starting to dream (not vivid rem dreams, but like a vivid daydream that is stable as long as you focus on it.) and that it's not "drifting" away when you focus on it, then you are in the theta brainwave state. Although if you continue to maintain the awareness you will soon find yourself in the delta state which is when you dream vividly.

My alpha sensations is usually around the 10-15 minute mark and theta around 40-60 minutes and delta 1 h 20 minutes.
      But this is just to give you an idea of time, it all depends on how you relax your mind and body though.

Now think about the importance of not falling asleep unaware while you are nervous or anxious about something, it will be reflected upon in your alpha state, intended in your theta state and dreamed about in your delta state! Instead be calm and aware, or cofident and peaceful. Be what you want to be, don't focus on what you don't want to be.

So you did intend indirectly because of the fact that you fell asleep while thinking of your affirmation in the in the alpha state ~> theta (unaware, but still intending).

Also here is a general idea of the brainwave states:

Attachment 3912
      Last edited by MasterMind; 12-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by rynkrt3 View Post
      Last night I laid down and began to calm my mind and my body. I was able to clear my mind of thought. About 10 minutes later my mind started to think of completely random stuff, I would become aware of it then stop it. It was like I was drifting off to sleep I think, I just usually dont pay attention to it. I assumed this was theta, so I stated my affirmation then went to sleep. No success though. Was this not the theta state?
      That was a perfect opportunity to have a WILD, just to let you know.
      When I notice my thoughts are going really random, I stay relaxed but I stay alert,(and stay still most of all)
      while I let my thoughts go. 99% of the time It'll lead to a lucid dream,
      but that's just from my experience.

The fact that you managed to notice the transition of sleep means that you made a huge step in progress, in my opinion.
      Last edited by SilverBullet; 12-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.
      MasterMind likes this.

<span class='glow_9400D3'>saltyseedog</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      eternally
      land of the lost pets
      DJ Entries
      This is a great tutorial. You are very right and it explained it all well!
      It all starts with being. We are being something and it results in an action. What we think gives us ideas about what is and what is not. It gives us ideas about ourselves. We create this whole system defending what we believe is true, in our minds. It holds us together. It holds our ego together! We doubt ourselves, or we must defend what we believe we are. All ideas. Ideas that result in a state of being.
      MasterMind likes this.
      Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by saltyseedog View Post
      oops double post....
      You can delete posts you know.
      MasterMind likes this.

web
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      MasterMind, what do you think about using binaural beats set for Theta waves? I don't practice meditation but I do practice awareness, and at night I sometimes listen to binaural beats while falling asleep or before.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by web View Post
      MasterMind, what do you think about using binaural beats set for Theta waves? I don't practice meditation but I do practice awareness, and at night I sometimes listen to binaural beats while falling asleep or before.
      Hemi Sync is a form of binaural beats. (In fact many binaural beats at the same time) And the whole point of that lesson in the video is to learn on how to optimize your usage of binaural beats and to learn and understand how it gets effective. This guide was just an excerpt of the explanation of why intention is important and the mechanics behind it.

Meditation can be much more than just sitting down and focusing, in fact I try to keep a meditative state in most of things I do, especially for my lucid dreaming practise. But yeah binaural beats for theta waves can help you teach yourself how to induce the desired states of mind.
      But since the alpha and theta states are naturally induced after periods of relaxation, practising awareness is a good starting point.

Artemos Achievements:
      Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      ?
      DJ Entries
      I wonder if theta state Binaural Beats could help with this?
      Also, are you supposed to use affirmations out loud, or in your head?.

Member Achievements:

Whatever you want. Although when you are in a thete state you are basically sleeping aware so preferably you would not talk and risk losing that focus of mind.