• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Leeds, Yorkshire, England
      DJ Entries

Inducing nightmares - an experiment

This is weird I know, but I'm gonna try this week for some nightmares. People talk about nightmares and lucidity quite often, and I'm getting closer to lucidity.
      So, armed with my newly acquired knowledge of LDing, I want to see if I'll be more likely to become lucid in a nightmare than a normal dream. (I guess for one thing the need is greater to find a way out)

What do people think? Anyone have experience of nightmare lucidity?

Thing is I don't normally have nightmares, maybe a couple each year, so I'm cracking out the horror films this week (For the record I'm a chicken when it comes to horrors).

I know it's not something people normally try for but if anyone knows of ways that may induce nightmares I wanna try it. I'll be a guinea pig.

If I'm wrong so be it, I find nightmares fascinating (after the event), and I appreciate any vivid dream, despite the cold sweat.

Actually that sounds interesting.

As nightmares will percievably have more stuff that is not normal, and hence more likely to induce a reality check.

Report back.

Hey dude. I feel the same way. I've been thinking about trying to induce a nightmare. Which I rarely ever have either. But people think I kinda weird when i say i like nightmares. but its only because my nightmares are usually ten times more clear and vivid than my regular dreams and nightmares don't bother me... at least after i've woken up.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      México
      DJ Entries
      lol I like nightmares so much, I generally get 1/day, the action and virtual reality is good, plus its excellent to learn dream control <.<

FL
      It sounds like a good idea to induce a lucid dream. Though I don't recall details, the first lucid dream I remember ever having was in a nightmare. I hate nightmares though, so I would never try to induce them. Sorry, can't help you in that department.
      Good luck.

there was a thread like this last night i did some googling and the only ways i could find to induce nightmares are to watch scary movies right before bed so you mind doesnt have a chance to calm itself or something like that and to eat a bunch of really spicey and/or salty foods
      "You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." -morpheus

WILD's: 1/2 DILD's: 0 DEILD's: 1 fake lds: 11 ridiculously short dilds: 9

Leeds, Yorkshire, England
      DJ Entries
      Well, I sat through a film that's given me a nightmare before and went to sleep thoroughly creeped out, but no luck. I slept nightmare free.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks nightmares have a certain appeal.

I'll give the spicy food a go. Also, Is the cheese thing before bed an old wives' tale or is it true? Either way I'm gonna try another horror tonight.

If all else fails I'm going to fall asleep to the silent hill soundtrack, I imagine all the white noise from that should screw with me.

Wish me luck!

FL
      I eat spicy food and cheese before bed almost everynight and I don't feel that I have anymore nightmares than anyone else. If anything I have less of the traditional nightmares.
      When I do have nighmares, its not monsters or killers from movies. I wish it were, becasue then I believe I'd expriance more DILDs. My nightmares are usually me with some type of injury that I can't overcome, or my wife and I gettng a devorce then arguing over who gets our daughter. Just wierd things like that, they seem so real that I never relize its a dream until I'm awake.

Banned
      I've never become lucid out of a nightmare, I'm always running for my life or something and don't have time to think that it might be a dream.