• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 47
    Like Tree27Likes

    Thread: Ask/Tell Me About Arguing

    1. #1
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67

      Cool Ask/Tell Me About Arguing

      Let me just say I am really good at arguing, and when i mean arguing, i mean trivial, not like weather we should move to a new country. I'm great at proving people wrong, winning arguments and changing peoples mind (not as good at mind changing but, meh). So, either tell me new ways of winning, or ask away!

      EDIT: these are from my own experence and may of may not be based on fact.
      Last edited by Solarflare; 07-25-2011 at 04:30 AM.

    2. #2
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Erii's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      LD Count
      4 ish a week
      Posts
      4,570
      Likes
      3475
      so why do you care about arguing? what's the point.

      change my mind about something.

      Quote Originally Posted by Solarflare View Post
      , not like weather we should move to a new country. .
      lol
      From my rotting body,
      flowers shall grow
      and I am in them
      and that is eternity.
      -Edvard Munch



    3. #3
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1113
      Quote Originally Posted by Solarflare View Post
      Let me just say I am really good at arguing
      I disagree.

    4. #4
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by erible View Post
      so why do you care about arguing? what's the point.

      change my mind about something.





      lol
      ignoring your lol

      Well, everyone argues, and most people when they argue, have a valid argument, but the people who they are arguing with are to stubborn to get it. I'm sure, you, Mrs Berryble, have had an argument with a friend or peer or partner or such, and lost, and that led to something bad happening to you! Even when your argument is much better, they still don't buy it. So here, i'll teach you the ways, of arguing

    5. #5
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate View Post
      I disagree.
      why? have you seen me argue?

    6. #6
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Quote Originally Posted by Solarflare View Post
      Let me just say I am really good at arguing, and when i mean arguing, i mean trivial, not like weather we should move to a new country. I'm great at proving people wrong, winning arguments and changing peoples mind (not as good at mind changing but, meh). So, either tell me new ways of winning, or ask away!

      EDIT: these are from my own experence and may of may not be based on fact.
      I'm pretty sure I can argue better than you can. I am a master at mind control.
      zebrah and fOrceez like this.
      Things are not as they seem

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Erii's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      LD Count
      4 ish a week
      Posts
      4,570
      Likes
      3475
      Quote Originally Posted by Solarflare View Post
      ignoring your lol

      Well, everyone argues, and most people when they argue, have a valid argument, but the people who they are arguing with are to stubborn to get it. I'm sure, you, Mrs Berryble, have had an argument with a friend or peer or partner or such, and lost, and that led to something bad happening to you! Even when your argument is much better, they still don't buy it. So here, i'll teach you the ways, of arguing
      why are you ignoring it?
      and no nothing bad has happened because i rarely argue because i see no point in arguing.
      From my rotting body,
      flowers shall grow
      and I am in them
      and that is eternity.
      -Edvard Munch



    8. #8
      Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      LD Count
      Lost Count
      Gender
      Posts
      470
      Likes
      515
      Hahaha. I define arguing as being more emotionally drive, and debating as being logically driven. In my experience, debate tends to lead to arguments. x_x It usually goes from a logical point vs. another logical point and spirals downward from there as emotions and tension rise. Before long, logic is dead and emotions are driving everything.

      When emotions run the show, simply don't buy into the mindset the other person is trying to impose on you. If you accept this illusional position, you are essentially at the other person's mercy, even if they don't realize it. Be a rock and don't let your emotions run your own position.



      As long as your negativity is running the show (of your position), no amount of logic will make the other person concede (most of the time). But if you're coming from a place of true security, the other person will notice that. How they react will differ from person to person.

      Often debates have some level of emotional drivers. That's why in some forum debates, or maybe even any debate in general, things can get heated, condescending statements are made, posts strike nerves, etc. etc. etc.

      Anyway, that's a general summary of a part of my perspective.
      Solarflare and fOrceez like this.
      Stop Panic[/FONT]

    9. #9
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1113
      Quote Originally Posted by Solarflare View Post
      why? have you seen me argue?
      That's not a very good rebuttal.

    10. #10
      Dionysian stormcrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      LD Count
      About 1 a week
      Gender
      Location
      Cirith Ungol
      Posts
      895
      Likes
      482
      DJ Entries
      3
      To avoid debates descending into petty arguments try to avoid these
      List of fallacies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      And Solarflare you really are not a master debater but its ok Im not either.
      Erii likes this.

    11. #11
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1113
      Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
      To avoid debates descending into petty arguments try to avoid these
      List of fallacies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Bah, do you want to debate properly or do you want to win, fallacies help for the latter .
      XeL likes this.

    12. #12
      Dionysian stormcrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      LD Count
      About 1 a week
      Gender
      Location
      Cirith Ungol
      Posts
      895
      Likes
      482
      DJ Entries
      3
      I think understanding fallacies and how to avoid using them personally and spotting them when your opponent uses them is very useful to debate "properly". How do you suggest we debate properly?

    13. #13
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1113
      By not using fallacies. But that's time-consuming... sometimes a well placed sophism well get shit done faster. You have to appeal to people's emotions, not their reason.

      I'd make a great interrogator.

    14. #14
      Dionysian stormcrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      LD Count
      About 1 a week
      Gender
      Location
      Cirith Ungol
      Posts
      895
      Likes
      482
      DJ Entries
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate View Post
      By not using fallacies. But that's time-consuming... sometimes a well placed sophism well get shit done faster. You have to appeal to people's emotions, not their reason.

      I'd make a great interrogator.
      You are saying I should be deceitful at the penalty of being intellectually dishonest? I think it depends on the nature of the audience you are trying to sway.

    15. #15
      Ad absurdum Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Spartiate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Block 4500-7000
      Posts
      4,825
      Likes
      1113
      Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
      You are saying I should be deceitful at the penalty of being intellectually dishonest? I think it depends on the nature of the audience you are trying to sway.
      Precisely.

    16. #16
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by Spartiate View Post
      That's not a very good rebuttal.
      yeah i know

    17. #17
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by niteLite View Post
      Hahaha. I define arguing as being more emotionally drive, and debating as being logically driven. In my experience, debate tends to lead to arguments. x_x It usually goes from a logical point vs. another logical point and spirals downward from there as emotions and tension rise. Before long, logic is dead and emotions are driving everything.

      When emotions run the show, simply don't buy into the mindset the other person is trying to impose on you. If you accept this illusional position, you are essentially at the other person's mercy, even if they don't realize it. Be a rock and don't let your emotions run your own position.



      As long as your negativity is running the show (of your position), no amount of logic will make the other person concede (most of the time). But if you're coming from a place of true security, the other person will notice that. How they react will differ from person to person.

      Often debates have some level of emotional drivers. That's why in some forum debates, or maybe even any debate in general, things can get heated, condescending statements are made, posts strike nerves, etc. etc. etc.

      Anyway, that's a general summary of a part of my perspective.
      I totally agree . thats why when i argue, be it internet, phone or IRl, i never ever CAPS LOCK or yell, it doesnt work. You need to retain a calm mindset to succeed

    18. #18
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Posts
      1,373
      Likes
      1887
      DJ Entries
      1
      1 star thread
      fOrceez likes this.

    19. #19
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      yeah.... this thread is so fail D:

    20. #20
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      "In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves."- Siddhartha Buddha

    21. #21
       Solarflare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Colony 9
      Posts
      4,452
      Likes
      1650
      DJ Entries
      67
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer View Post
      "In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves."- Siddhartha Buddha
      ooh, i like that quote . And i never get mad in my arguments

      and now can someone LOCK THIS THREAD PLEASE!?!?!

    22. #22
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Erii's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      LD Count
      4 ish a week
      Posts
      4,570
      Likes
      3475
      hahahahahahahaha
      From my rotting body,
      flowers shall grow
      and I am in them
      and that is eternity.
      -Edvard Munch



    23. #23
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      810
      DJ Entries
      5
      In order to win an argument without resorting to being decietful and intellectually dishonest you must first no that you are right and the other is wrong and be able to prove it. In this case in order to be a good arguer you must no how to pick your arguments. Now sometimes, both parties are partially right. Then I guess it depends not so much on the issue but who has the stronger and more stable personality.
      Solarflare likes this.

    24. #24
      Member Dowzen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      106
      Likes
      9
      DJ Entries
      1

    25. #25
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer View Post
      "In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves."- Siddhartha Buddha
      How can a man who weighed 400 pounds have the nerve to teach anyone about discipline.
      Things are not as they seem

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Dream:one man with two facessided arguing each other
      By Stefanman in forum General Dream Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM
    2. Arguing with my Dreams
      By MattMolotov in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 01-06-2009, 02:35 AM
    3. Discuss your thoughts without arguing.
      By Minervas Phoenix in forum Extended Discussion
      Replies: 198
      Last Post: 09-07-2008, 10:00 PM
    4. Stop Arguing About The Glass Omg!
      By Man of Shred in forum Philosophy
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 08-30-2006, 11:02 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •