• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      LD Count
      The horribly designed town of Cary.
      DJ Entries
      I went to the bookstore with the intent of buying EWLD and Fight Club (book). I found one copy of EWLD and the cover was bent and I couldn't bring myself to buy it for one reason or the other and they did not have a copy of Fight Club.

So please recommend me a book. I have just finished reading Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island, but I love all types of books anything like fantasy (A Song of Fire and Ice, and Lord of the Rings are my favorites), but I've also read classics like The Count of Monte Cristo. So please just give me some titles and authors if you know them and kinda a quick summary of what type of book it is, if you please. Thanks so much in advance!

"O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Central Florida
      DJ Entries
      Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles.
      I've gotten through 5 1/2 of them and I'll be picking up another one, sometime soon.
      I just finished Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's Brimstone, which was great, so I recommend that too.

Brimstone Review:
      Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly
      Fans of cerebral action adventure novels know that, outside of Michael Crichton, no one delivers the goods like the veteran writing team of Preston and Child (Relic; Still Life with Crows; etc.). As if invigorated by their recent solo efforts (Child: Utopia, etc.; Preston: The Codex, etc.), the two now deliver their best novel ever, an extravagant tale of international intrigue. As their admirers know, one reason Preston and Child thrillers work is because most feature arguably the most charismatic detective in contemporary fiction: FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast, a wealthy, refined yet ruthless descendant of Holmes who's very much his own character. Pendergast, as well as other Preston and Child semiregulars, notably rough-hewn former NYPD cop Vincent D'Agosta, Watson to Pendergast's Sherlock, tread nearly every page of this vastly imagined, relentlessly enjoyable thriller. The body of a notorious art critic is found in his Hamptons, L.I., mansion, wholly burned, with a cloven hoofprint nearby: the devil's work? [...] Erudite, swiftly paced, brimming (occasionally overbrimming) with memorable personae and tense set pieces, this is the perfect thriller to stuff into a beach bag.
      Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
      [/b]
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

Banned
      nope
      Through the Looking Glass. Not fantasy, but very elaborate story.

Through the Looking Glass was definitely fantasy.

The Sword of Truth series is an epic fantasy that is ongoing. It should keep you busy for a while. It is hard to summarise, as there are several storylines throughout the series.

The Wizard's First Rule, (the first book in the series) is very good. You can find a description on the official site of Terry Goodkind:

http://www.terrygoodkind.com/

Banned
      nope
      Through the Looking Glass was definitely fantasy.[/b]
      Oh shi- I meant "The Glass Castle."

Dragonlance is huge. Age of Conan series' are amazing. Nelson Demille has some great stuff but he's non-fiction.
      I sleep to dream.

Lucid Dreams - 2
      DILD - 2
      Last LD was 10/27/06

I'm not much help in this area because for the last three years or so the only books I've read have been written by Dean Koontz. If you are into that kind of stuff I'd say read Life Expectancy (I just read that one twice, I liked it a lot) or Seize the Night and Fear Nothing. Those are both about the same character (who is allergic to sunlight and has a dog that is as smart as a person) and I LOVED them. Sorry I'm not more diverse! Before Koontz I was on a Stephen King kick and only stopped those to read the Harry Potter books....I'm very close minded.....

Quote Originally Posted by Artelis View Post
      Oh shi- I meant "The Glass Castle."
      [/b]
      we all make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Artelis View Post
      Dragonlance is huge. Age of Conan series' are amazing. Nelson Demille has some great stuff but he's non-fiction.
      [/b]
      Dragonlance is too huge. One of the issues I have with universes like Dragonlance is that they are restricted by the works of other authors, continuity issues arise, and it becomes hard for new readers to find an entry point.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin38 View Post

Dragonlance is too huge. One of the issues I have with universes like Dragonlance is that they are restricted by the works of other authors, continuity issues arise, and it becomes hard for new readers to find an entry point.
      [/b]

That's a very good point. www.dlnexus.com has a nice timeline. Basically once you start with Chronicles you can go wherever you want.

I sleep to dream.

Lucid Dreams - 2
      DILD - 2
      Last LD was 10/27/06

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points
      NYC
      Sword of Truth is pretty good if you're into fantasy fiction. But it's a lot of reading if you're going to get into it.

Have any of you ever read Tintin? It was like a series of comic books. I remember reading them all when I was little. Good stuff.

BC, Canada
      Cell, by Stephen King - definately not fantasy, but an amazing book anyways. The beginning immediately hooks you with a big graphic jolt, and it's unnerving because it deals with modern day technology. Yes, even iPods.

If it's a fantasy you're looking for, why not Eragon or Eldest (both the same series)? Those weren't bad.

Or you could go for The Talisman, also by Stephen King and Peter Straub, but it's extremely fantasy. It's about a boy who has to travel from two different 'realms' to try and get across the United States, but it's very, very interesting.

Starry starry night, paint your pallet blue and gray,
      Look out on a summers day,
      with eyes that know the darkness of my soul.

Speaking of King, if you haven't seen the movie or read the book, the Green Mile is superb.

read "turning angel" by greg isles, actually anything by greg isles is pretty amazing

Can you give a synopsis of his work or style?

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
      Have any of you ever read Tintin? It was like a series of comic books. I remember reading them all when I was little. Good stuff.
      [/b]
      I never read the comic but I used to watch the show. Wasn't it some blonde kid and a white dog?

Anyone know of any good non-fantasy books?

How many of you have read EWLD and any of LaBerge's other books?

Sweden
      The Dice Man, about a psychiatrist who's bored and decides one day to let a dice decide his actions. He is seeking the true way of living by destroying the personality 'n trying to become Mr. Random Man . Subversive, intelligent and shocking, a great read.
      Author: Luke Rhinehart.

READ IT NOW
      Currently practicing WILD. I quote Kaniaz who said it best: "The point of WILD is to piss me off". Though, I have not given up, far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroguy305 View Post
      Anyone know of any good non-fantasy books?

How many of you have read EWLD and any of LaBerge's other books?
      [/b]
      Anything by Bernard Cornwell (sp) is excellent. He is most famous for his Sharpe series, but has other works as well. He deals with fairly accurate historical fiction.

I particularly recommend the Archer's Tale trilogy. It follows a British archer on a Grail quest during the 100 Year War.

Banned
      nope
      Candide is always a good read. Pretty funny and full of ridiculous events.

LD Count
      i/0
      Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Squall View Post
      [/b]
      Omg, Tintin... I'm gonna go read some of that now. Tintin is my hero.

Jesus of DV Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 25000 Hall Points 10000 Hall Points Tagger First Class Huge Dream Journal
      <span class='glow_0000FF'>Man of Shred</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      Lethbridge, alberta
      DJ Entries
      I&#39;ve found The Art of Seduction a good book. It has tons of stories from the classic style seducers such as, Cleopatra, Don Juan the mythological Seducer, Casanova, and many others.

It&#39;s not just about seducing people, but about the techniques people use to seduce a nation into believing their rhetoric.
      The Best of my dream journal
      http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x15/LucidSeeker/RanmaSig.jpg
      MoSh: How about you stop trying to define everything, and just accept what you experience, and explore it.
      - From the DJ of Waking Nomad!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Cusp View Post
      I'm guessing those intergalactic storm cloud monster bugs come out of sacred energy vortex angel gate medicine wheels.

England
      i know some people say it&#39;s childish but what about the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman

1. The Northern Lights ( Golden Compass in US)
      2. The stuble knife
      3. The Amber Spyglass

It is good if you like fantasy and it also crosses over with our world in book two which i think is really cool.

My kitty Wooole!, i love you julan!!!!

"EVERY TIME MASTURBATION KILLS, GOD TURNS YOU INTO A KITTEN!!!"

I honestly think that the Dark Materials was highly overrated. What did you find in that novels that appealed to you?

i thought the same thing merlin..be interesting to hear what joey thinks of it...
      Oh, and if you&#39;re into Sci fi and fantasy, i highly recommend &#39;Tad williams&#39; and &#39;Otherland, city of golden shadow&#39;.

Basically, children are getting trapped in &#39;the net&#39;, in the 21st century, only it&#39;s a corporate thing...it&#39;s kinda hard to explain, you have to go read it...
      takes a while to get going, it&#39;s a big book, and there&#39;s three more in that series. I&#39;ve read it and i&#39;ve got the second.
      I&#39;m currently reading Jean M Auel&#39;s &#39;Earth&#39;s children&#39; series. Only on the first book just now, but it&#39;s fascinating reading...long time since i read something so imaginitive and well researched.

'all of the moments that already passed/
      try to go back and make them last.'

Williams is good. I particularly liked his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. I loved the fact that the main character started the adventure without many skills or abilities. His &#39;green&#39; status almost got him killed a few times, and the realism of that situation stuck with me. It&#39;s not often that you find the hero genuinely helpless.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      i recently read Tolkiens new book "The Children of Hurin" which was hard to get into at first but was quite good once you got into it. Now I am reading "Windhaven" by George R.R. Martin and Lisa Tuttle which i would definitly reccomend if youve ever fantasized about flying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast