• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

eastern pennsylvania, usa

CHECK IT OUT!...New York Times article on Lucid Dreams

Haha. Hehe. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      New Zea-la-land
      Cool!!

What the heck is this though: “Lucid dream” is the name of pop and jazz CDs, small businesses, modern artworks, even a sex toy. I want me one o' dem sekks toys!

Thats a pretty cool article. Good find

Aquanina's closet
      Awesome find!! Wonder how many hits we will get here now from people searching for lucid dreams!!

Master of Logic Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Some rocky planet with water
      The article is good, but FrYeS' avatar is better!
      ~Kromoh

Saying quantum physics explains cognitive processes is just like saying geology explains jurisprudence.

I *AM* Glyphs! Achievements:
      1 year registered 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      UCT or home - depends what time you catch me :P
      Sweet!
      "There are people who say there is no God, but what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views." ~Albert Einstein

Ask meWay BackYour SoulMy Dream Story (Chapter two UP!) •

Wales
      Finally lucid dreams are gaining recognition!

ıpǝɾǝɔɹnos
      Thanks for the link!

Interesting to read about "The Good Night". I've heard about "Waking life" and friends but this sounds a bit more realistic, if that's the right word. I'm having difficulty imaging how it works as a film, but I'm no afficanado.

Also interesting to hear that Stephen Kings written something about lucid dreaming. I'm not sure whether I want to find out what he wrote though :-S.

LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Can someone say...credibility! XD
      Things are not as they seem

* DV Veteran * Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV 50000 Hall Points
      USA
      Great article.. thanks for posting this.

Now when you're trying to explain lucid dreaming to parents, etc. .. you can show them this article!

DJ Entries
      Neato. I didn't know the lucidity institute was also holding a chat. I'll be sure to be there. Too bad the literature they listed doesn't seem to beat out ETWLD. Though I may check that first book out.

I'm willing to bet "The Good Night" will bring more mainstream recognition to the hobby than Waking Life did. Especially if it contains lucid infidelity. EDIT: it does. xD
      Last edited by Abra; 09-17-2007 at 04:02 AM.
      Abraxas

Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

Thanks for posting! Here's the link to the trailer for The Good Night:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awgOc1gTbOQ
      Last edited by thedogsmeow; 09-17-2007 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks for the link to the trailer. I'll have to check that movie out!
      Click here to visit the #1 AMC website!

LDs since June 22nd: about 20...I stopped counting

My Dream Journal

* DV Veteran * Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV 50000 Hall Points
      USA
      Ok.. I'm seriously hoping that the movie will be better than the trailer.

Cool find. I did notice a swell in the number of Newbie Zone posts

ıpǝɾǝɔɹnos
      Quote Originally Posted by Clairity View Post
      Great article.. thanks for posting this.

Now when you're trying to explain lucid dreaming to parents, etc. .. you can show them this article!
      Considering the description of "The Good Night" in the article (and up-thread!), that might not work well with all parents :-D.

Wheres this web-chat then? I looked it up but I didn't see a chat listed under Oct 3 on the schedule in the PsiDreaming site, and it sounds like you have to pay.
      Last edited by sourcejedi; 09-17-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Truth Seeker Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>LucidDreamGod</span>'s Avatar
      US
      DJ Entries
      This is pretty exighting to see the media it embrassing lucid dreaming finaly, but the movie sounds like some romance film that simply uses lucid dreams as a setting like waking life being a philosophy film and lucid dreams only being the setting, I want to see an action film outa this not a romance film, I'm just not a big fan of romance films thats all even though this guys life is a fantasy of mine it's not half as entertaining as it could have been least based around what the movies going to be about, but that might not be all of it.

I wanna be the very best
      Like no one ever was
      To lucid dream is my real test
      To control them is my cause

italy
      DJ Entries
      the trailer kind of sucks, but there are good actors
      we'll see i suppose
      Monkey Is BACK!

ıpǝɾǝɔɹnos
      Quote Originally Posted by LucidDreamGod View Post
      This is pretty exighting to see the media it embrassing lucid dreaming finaly, but the movie sounds like some romance film that simply uses lucid dreams as a setting like waking life being a philosophy film and lucid dreams only being the setting, I want to see an action film outa this not a romance film, I'm just not a big fan of romance films thats all even though this guys life is a fantasy of mine it's not half as entertaining as it could have been least based around what the movies going to be about, but that might not be all of it.
      Hmm. The article implies it at least treats the "setting" more realistically than "Waking Life" - how would you see it use LD as more than "simply a setting"?

I wouldn't expect to enjoy it as a romance either, but I'm sure it's what will be produced and it seems to me the more obvious choice. Modern action films are pretty far fetched anyway - I'm not sure what you'd gain from saying "it's just a dream" and adding solipsistic magic; wouldn't it just take away from the heros achievements?

To get a lucid action flick to work, I think you'd want to have half-n-half dreaming and waking life. I'd say that'd be too much work, but the Matrix probably nixes that (I's not seen it tho). So you get both personal and external struggles; external could be either mundane (school/work/love whatever) or extra-ordinary. Having action both in dreams and waking would be the hardest, and the hardest to emphasize lucidity - you'd have to keep lucidity separate from your external magic/tech, manage the cues given to the audience as to what is a dream much more carefully, and work harder to sustain Suspension of Disbelief. Plus if you're trying to be realistic, understanding the character's dreams means understanding them, which would be easier with mundane externals.

So I'm not sure how you'd get a non-stop action lucidity film; would you settle for half of the film being action?

But then I don't know films. I'm a written sci-fi addict, so I'm physically unable admit to enjoying or understand enjoyment of "The Matrix". The intended, original premise was that the humans brains are being used to run the Matrix, which makes some sort of sense. "Oh no, people won't understand that. Say they're being used for power, like batteries". Because everyone believes you can extract more power from the human body than you put into it. Sigh. Throw in prophecy - ok, given the cycles, that could be justified. But then add telekinesis *outside* the Matrix? Huh!? It doesn't paint a coherent enough picture for me.

pj
      That is EXACTLY what we've been expecting for some time. NYT is an idea leader in many areas. Hopefully other rags will pick up on the theme.

Watch for a new rush of people coming in for exactly what we're here to provide!
      On ne voit bien qu'avec le cśur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.
      --Chinese Proverb

Raised Jdeadevil
      Raised and raised by Eligos
      Dream Journal
      The Fine Print: Unless otherwise stated, the views expressed are MINE.

ıpǝɾǝɔɹnos
      Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
      That is EXACTLY what we've been expecting for some time. NYT is an idea leader in many areas. Hopefully other rags will pick up on the theme.

Watch for a new rush of people coming in for exactly what we're here to provide!
      Hope not too many people get lost in the rush :-). Big up thread 'Little tip on helping posters'.

Yeah boi!

Also, Discover Magazine just released an article about the ten unanswered questions about the brain. One of them was "Why do brains sleep and dream?" and another was "What is consciousness?". Take a look!

Discover Article

Banned
      Utah
      Thats really cool. Lucid dreaming is going mainstream. Does anyone know what Stephen King story that artical was talking about?

ıpǝɾǝɔɹnos
      Quote Originally Posted by 27 View Post
      Thats really cool. Lucid dreaming is going mainstream. Does anyone know what Stephen King story that artical was talking about?
      I succumbed and looked it up. In Insomnia, lucid dreams are said to be more restful - leaving you with more energy when you wake up. In The Stand, characters have very vivid "lucid" dreams about the leaders of two opposed groups, standing for good and evil - though I'm not sure whether these are really lucid dreams or just very vivid dreams.

Somewhere Out There
      I saw that article linked from another site too. We will definately be getting alot of newcomers although I'm sure many will just post a few times then forget about it as the fad passes. Anything that makes us look less like wackos is good I suppose. The article itself seemed well written and wasn't very misleading like many articles are. Anyone interested will probably search Google and find us so thats good.