Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Isochronic tones: the future of binaurals

Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Seiren
      DJ Entries

Isochronic tones: the future of binaurals

I have come across something rather interesting. It seems that there exists something called isochronic tones. These tones are similar to their binaural counterparts, but are more effective, easier to create, and tend to be easier to use. Audacity can be used to create these tones with relative ease, and I have found a WORKING tutorial that accurately explains how to do this. I will post the link if anyone wants it.

Isochronics use the same principle that binaurals use. However, instead of using a tone imbalance between the two ear pieces on a set of headphones, they use evenly-spaced sound blips. The spacing determines the frequency, in hertz.
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.

Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Canada
      DJ Entries
      So, are these better than binaurals? Also, how long is the tutorial?

LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Seiren
      DJ Entries
      Very much so.

The tutorial, provided you have audacity, is easy to read and do. Altogether, it'll take about 5-10 minutes to grasp what's going on, but once you do, you'll be able to make your own tones in a matter of minutes. If you don't have audacity, you'll have to download it for free (just Google "audacity" and click the first link. You want version 1.2.6). Overall...about 15 minutes at most from start to finish. Also, unlike binaurals, these beats can be played without headphones. Surround sound, anyone?

At any rate, here's the tutorial.
      http://isochronic-tones.blogspot.com...sing-sine.html

444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

dumb question probably haha, but how would this relate to helping me with lucid dreaming?
      "The mind is like a parachute. It only works when its open" ~Albert Einstein
      LDs: 1/2, lucid but blind, since starting train
      ( ) Turn Super Saiyan ( ) Kamehameha ( ) Fight Agent Smith fights in Matrix series ( ) Superman stuff

LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Seiren
      DJ Entries
      Ah, glad you asked...

When a person enters the dream state, their brainwaves drop to a specific frequency, usually between 4 and 7 hertz. What binaurals and isochronics do is play a beat at that specific frequency range, and causes the brainwaves to sync with that beat through a phenomenon known as entrainment. Theoretically, if these beats are played before bed and with relatively few distractions, the brain will already be in the dreaming mode, and should help contribute to dream vividness, intensity, and - dare I say - lucidness.

Hope this helped!

444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

Member Achievements:
      So should we replace the 194.18 Hz in the tut with 4-7?

soooo....lets say i make a high quality mp3 of the the tones and put it on my iPod and play it before i go to sleep, or while going to sleep, are you saying that once I fall asleep I will be in that vivid/lucid state then? or will my mind slowly phase from the awakened state to the vivid/lucid state while listening to the tones?

and by the way, maybe someone can make a mp3 of the specific tones that are optimal for this, since i would love to try it and report back if it works
      ( ) Turn Super Saiyan ( ) Kamehameha ( ) Fight Agent Smith fights in Matrix series ( ) Superman stuff

Member Achievements:
      I have made a 15 minute MP3 of the tone described in the tutorial. Also, this:
      Quote Originally Posted by LightningMunk View Post
      soooo....lets say i make a high quality mp3 of the the tones and put it on my iPod and play it before i go to sleep, or while going to sleep, are you saying that once I fall asleep I will be in that vivid/lucid state then? or will my mind slowly phase from the awakened state to the vivid/lucid state while listening to the tones?

LD Count
      Quote Originally Posted by Conkt View Post
      I have made a 15 minute MP3 of the tone described in the tutorial. Also, this:
      Can you post it because I am having some difficulty with the part about replicating.

Lucid Moments: 2 Lucid Dreams: 1

Lucid Goals: [X] Get my first LD [ ] Be a superhero [ ] Jump into a comic book [] Survive a Zombie Apocalypse

LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Seiren
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Jhony View Post
      Can you post it because I am having some difficulty with the part about replicating.
      To replicate it, just select the entire track thus far with Ctrl + a, then hit the end key, then go to the top and click paste. Repeat.

and by the way, maybe someone can make a mp3 of the specific tones that are optimal for this, since i would love to try it and report back if it works
      It will jump into the dreaming/lucid state much faster and/or remain in that state for a longer period of time. The brain changes state many times in the night, but with luck, it should hang out more in the butter zone for longer periods of time.

So should we replace the 194.18 Hz in the tut with 4-7?
      No, the 194.18 is the base frequency. The one you want to replace is the entry on the very bottom, the tone length. It is equal to 1/(desired frequency x 2). So, a 5hz. frequency corresponds to 1/(5 x 2), or 1/10, which is equal to .1.

444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

Member Achievements:

So have either of you (Conkt or Mario92) have had success with this? I mean its all good in theory, but only really useful to the DreamViews community if it works haha

Massachusetts
      I'll attempt to test this tonight...

I'll put Conkt's MP3 in my zune tonight and listen to it for 15 Minutes then go to bed shortly after.

If that doesn't work I'll try for 30 minutes the next night.
      "Poise and Rationality".

Recalled-47
      DILD-2

Small hands, Big dreams. Achievements:
      Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      How is the brain already being in the dream mode helpful though? How does it work?
      Working on: Daily awareness.
      Lucid Task: Reverse the flow of a waterfall and ride up it.

Wololo Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Spiral out, keep going.
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Mario92 View Post
      Ah, glad you asked...

When a person enters the dream state, their brainwaves drop to a specific frequency, usually between 4 and 7 hertz. What binaurals and isochronics do is play a beat at that specific frequency range, and causes the brainwaves to sync with that beat through a phenomenon known as entrainment. Theoretically, if these beats are played before bed and with relatively few distractions, the brain will already be in the dreaming mode, and should help contribute to dream vividness, intensity, and - dare I say - lucidness.

Hope this helped!
      Not to mention it should be a big help for WILDing

So this is a 5Htz tone Conkt made correct?

I'm burning a CD now, I'll try it out tonight.
      Last edited by Supernova; 10-07-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      I can never get these things to work for me. For example, I tried one for relieving stress and it was just this loud, annoying series of beeps that grated on my nerves and made me even more on edge. I just can't get past the annoying sound of the things.

Anyone have any suggestions on that? I'd love to be able to try the different tones and see what kinds of feelings come up, but so far the only one I ever get is aggravation.

Member Achievements:
      The one I made is the one from the tutorial, at 10 HTz, made for medetation. I don't know if it will work for wilding, but it does clear the mind. I turned it on and listened to it while I lay in bed the other night, and I get this really weird feeling. I had some tremors, though not like SP. After about half an hour, I got this almost euphoric feeling, and I just wanted to hug my speaker system. It felt like the centre of my universe was right beside my bed, in the form of my Ipod dock. Kinda hard to explain...

LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Seiren
      DJ Entries
      So have either of you (Conkt or Mario92) have had success with this? I mean its all good in theory, but only really useful to the DreamViews community if it works haha
      Yeah, I've only had one lucid, but the times when I listen to the beats before bed usually give me very vivid dreams/improve dream recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiya View Post
      I can never get these things to work for me. For example, I tried one for relieving stress and it was just this loud, annoying series of beeps that grated on my nerves and made me even more on edge. I just can't get past the annoying sound of the things.

Anyone have any suggestions on that? I'd love to be able to try the different tones and see what kinds of feelings come up, but so far the only one I ever get is aggravation.
      You could try lowering the volume and setting it to some sort of soft music. It would lose a bit of its effectiveness, but it would be much less annoying.

444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Mario: ooh good idea with the music. Maybe in conjunction with singing bowl tracks or something. Thanks, will try that!

Mario, this is awesome and everything, but I need to straighten a few things out for people. I hope you don't mind.

First of all, it is important to display that isochronic tones can be hazardous to people with certain conditions. If you suffer from epilepsy, mental illness, or are sensitive to flashing lights, you should not use isochronic tones as they may trigger your condition.

Now thats out of the way, I'll get on to my point:
      ... When a person enters the dream state, their brainwaves drop to a specific frequency, usually between 4 and 7 hertz...
      This is true, but different regions of the brain are at different frequencies. Some regions are more aroused as others... So not all areas are in the delta range.
      ...What binaurals and isochronics do is play a beat at that specific frequency range, and causes the brainwaves to sync with that beat through a phenomenon known as entrainment...
      True; to an extent. It has been found that the brainwave change shown in isochronic tones eminates from a part of the medulla oblangata (brain stem). So, in reality, the effect is not so much modifying the brain's waves as a whole, but more of a new wave that eminates from the brain stem - Which, in effect, *does* affect the brainwaves in the brain, but not in all sectors.
      No, the 194.18 is the base frequency. The one you want to replace is the entry on the very bottom, the tone length. It is equal to 1/(desired frequency x 2). So, a 5hz. frequency corresponds to 1/(5 x 2), or 1/10, which is equal to .1.
      I am not *entirely* sure on this, so excuse me if the info is unreliable, but I have heard around here and there that the carrier frequency has an effect on entrainment (IE: You can tie in a frequency with effects you would like to the carrier frequency, obviously of at least 100hZ though). Personally, I've never noticed anything new from it, just comfort depending on the type of sound you feel like listening to. Just thought I'd put that out there if people are interested.
      The one I made is the one from the tutorial, at 10 HTz, made for medetation. I don't know if it will work for wilding, but it does clear the mind. I turned it on and listened to it while I lay in bed the other night, and I get this really weird feeling. I had some tremors, though not like SP. After about half an hour, I got this almost euphoric feeling, and I just wanted to hug my speaker system. It felt like the centre of my universe was right beside my bed, in the form of my Ipod dock. Kinda hard to explain...
      10hZ has been tied (allegedly) to stimulation of the adrenals. Remember kids, certain tones (allegedly) cause the body to release certain neurotransmitters; neurotransmitters are what drugs alter the levels of to produce their effects. I'll drop some evidence here if I ever find some.
      Quote Originally Posted by Naiya View Post
      Mario: ooh good idea with the music. Maybe in conjunction with singing bowl tracks or something. Thanks, will try that!
      Remember, mixing it with music will degrade the overall effect. Its best served raw for the best effect . You could always try producing the target yourself in Audacity and choosing a carrier frequency you find pleasant... Deeper freqs. (say, 80hZ?) can produce a soft sound that might be easier to listen to.

*Stops for breath*. I hope things are a little clearer now, and I hope I provided some useful info.

Good job with the thread Mario, keep me updated .

LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Seiren
      DJ Entries
      Thanks, man! Yeah, I'm fuzzy on the specifics...heh. A disclaimer probably should've been posted earlier on, huh?

All I know is that they do crazy stuff. I actually heard voices and soft music while listening to them...it was cool.

Conkt, that's some kinda crazy effect. Sounds pretty awesome, though. Amazing how sound alone can do that to a person.

444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

Massachusetts
      OK so, I tried Conkt's version of the Isochronic tones MP3. First off I should tell you I have never had a lucid dream and therefore a WILD by extension. However, I have attempted to do sleep paralysis and know somewhat of what it feels like when your body is starting to fall asleep.

With that said...

I laid for 15 minutes listening to these tones and felt the onset of paralysis much much quicker than laying there without the tones. I got to a level in 15 minutes that took me 45 minutes to do without stimulation. It was just a quick test to see what would happen. So, my theory is that the sounds trick your body into thinking that your brain is going to sleep faster than normal, therefore a quicker onset of paralysis.

True it was only one test, and my credentials are weak at best. But all the more interesting still.
      "Poise and Rationality".

Recalled-47
      DILD-2

well, even though you achieve sleep paralysis, that is still an amazing success, at least from my knowledge of things. from a sleep paralysis state (also known as Mind Awake Body Asleep) you can from do whats called an Astral Projection, or out of body experience, with alot greater ease than from the previous normal waking state. So if someone on the board is into Astral Projection, and sees the audio, try it, see if you can get into sleep paralysis well, and try an astral projection technique, i know i am going to try it tomorrow

LD Count
      Copenhagen, Denmark
      Hmm, I have downloaded the 15 min. sample.

I will test the effect(s)

Cool with some new sounds, I wasn't aware of Isochronic tones. I know that Binaural-beats and Hemispheric Synchronization has been throughout researched and validated.

Any links on it?

Btw: some picture on the effects on brainwaves with binaural beats:

(Notice some are demonstrative)
      The wise ones fashioned speech with their thought, sifting it as grain is sifted through a sieve. ~ Buddha

DJ Entries
      Nice info, thanks. However the tutorial did not say wether this requires using stereo headphones or not. Do you know any more about this?
      Killing threads since 2002

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast