• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Like Tree18Likes
    • 15 Post By Arch
    • 1 Post By Arch
    • 2 Post By KaiLiquid

Thread: How to have your first Lucid Dream, Dry Spell Breaker Guide

Finding the way... Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      England
      DJ Entries

How to have your first Lucid Dream, Dry Spell Breaker Guide

This guide is for those people who are wanting to have their first lucid dream or are having a dry spell and really want another taste of lucid madness! I've thought of as many tips and techniques that work together in order to maximise the chance of you having a lucid dream.
      A quick note, usually the best way to have a lucid dream is to try as many techniques as possible, each over the proper amount of time (2-3 weeks). Just to let you know why you may be having problems.

Updates
      07/05/2012 added the natural WBTB method

The Recipe
      Here are all the factors I think influence the chance of having a lucid dream. I'll explain how to use each to your advantage alittle lower.
      Intent, Motivation
      Dream Recall
      Doing techniques properly
      Good sleep patterns
      Wake back to bed
      *Luid Aids

Intent
      It's very important to want to have a lucid dream, being excited about a lucid dream and thinking about it during the day will help increase the chance of a lucid dream. Motivated to carry out the techniques properly and to take time and effort to get the results is very important.
      Dream Recall
      You need to be able to remember the lucid dream if you want to count it as one worth having, I have litterally gone through half the day and realised I had a lucid because my recall was bad, it's probably one of the most important factors. How to make it better? Keep a Dream Journal, or you can do what I do if you are alittle too busy and just go over in your head the dream as you wake up. I remember most of my dreams in the shower! Aim to have about one dream a night, if not more and if you don't have one that night, think about not remembering it.
      Doing techniques properly
      There are so many techniques on this site and when everyone is telling you to find the one that suits you best you want to roll through them all in a week, this probably won't work, and you won't be able to use the technique properly. Aim to spend 2-3 weeks on each technique and if you aren't having any signs from that, then move on or try to see what you are doing wrong.
      Good sleep patterns
      The smallest things affect my sleep, if I go to bed one hour late or drink lots of caffine in the day my dream recall will suffer. If you go to bed at the same time each night and allow yourself to wind down before by taking a bath, keeping the light to a minimum you will find your recall will improve alot. I've heard that if you go to bed eariler than you normally do your recall increases dramatically.
      Wake back to bed
      This wakes you up just as you are starting an REM period, which is effectively dream time. As you will find out later this can be used to maximise the chance of the things you have been doing in the day to carry over into a dream. Typically this is 4.5 - 6 hours after going to bed, you can fine tune if you want, but I found those times to be very accurate. Adjust to the half hour to find the best time for you.
      How do you know you are in REM? I find I don't feel very tired, but this might change for other people.
      *Lucid Aids
      Not going to put much about lucid aids, because I find they don't always work for people and for me it doesn't seem too important to help have a lucid dream, more information can be found in the lucid aids section of the forum.

The Technique
      [spoiler]So we are going to combine all the factors mentioned above to maximse the chance of having a lucid dream. As long as you have Intent, Dream Recall and a good sleep pattern it's time to have a lucid!
      During the day I'd like you to do reality checks whenever something strange happens, if something odd does happen really think about why you are doing a reality check. For me this involves looking around and questioning what I am doing here, looking at the texture of the couch I'm sitting on.
      Tip: I find using the finger through palm the best Reality Check here, it's subtle enough to do in public and it doesn't tend affect stability like the nose plug does for me.
      A note on awareness: I believe awareness techniques depend on your natural dream type, some people have dreams similar to real life and therefore awareness techniques can help to distinguish the differences between these similar situations, in that case All Day Awareness and Random (Sporadic) Awareness are also handy, paying more attention to your surroundings makes the chance of hightend awareness in dreams increase. If you are like me who has crazy non lucids, then perhaps awareness techniques aren't for you, they don't really work for me, but I'd definitely give them a try.
      Remember: You do reality checks because you have questioned what is going on in a dream, hightened awareness.[/spoiler]

Bed time, half an hour before bed, relax and chill. You can go over in your head the fact that you are going to have a lucid dream, what you will do.
      There is two different ways you can preform WBTB, natural and alarm, recently I've had more success with natural and it allows multiple attempts per night.
      Natural Method - Your mantra also includes "I will realise when I wake up" or something similar
      Alarm Method - Set your alarm for 4.5 or 6 hours after bed (or your prefered time).
      MILD Before Bed - In bed close your eyes and picture a theme of the dream that will make you lucid. For example I use a open river, the first time I achieved this there was a big D in the middle of my imaginary lake, in the dream I was at the swimming pool. The second time it worked I was at a dock and I saw the water andrealised I was dreaming. Do this for about 5 - 15 mintues, you can use the autosuggestion mantra "I'm Dreaming" to help this.
      Sleep- The awareness techniques, reality checks in the day and the MILD you have just done could carry over into into the dreams you are having.
      Wake Back to Bed - Your alarm goes off and you wake up, get up and make yourself feel comfortable, go to the toilet if you want and have a drink.
      WBTB MILDs - This is where the technique really kicks in, if you do a MILD just before you are about to have a dream it is much more effective in passing over. Do the mantra again, but try to drift off while doing it. This is how I had one of my first lucid dreams, I came across it by failing a WILD in which I was attempting to visualise a dream, I gave up and went to sleep to go on to having a lucid. So do the same as before, visualise whist doing a mantra.

Notes: I know I haven't gone on about Dream Control, it's because this is aimed to have your first lucid.
      I haven't gone into the WILD or DEILD techniques because they are so different and I feel that this method applies to more people.
      Credit goes to Puffin for creating the Sparodic Awareness Technique which I mentioned above. As well as the creators of the MILD technique.
      Hope it works, please comment to give feedback and testimonials.

Visualisation, at first I thought I sucked at it, but don't worry everyones interpretation of the same thing is different. A better word for the process is conceptualisation, imagining what it would look like.
      Last edited by Arch; 05-07-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Banned
      USA
      DJ Entries
      Any technique that stresses visualization is on the right path. Nice post!

N̴̴͇̘̖̱̮̗͙͚̥̪͍̘͔͖̪̯̥O̸ ͏̤̠ Frobthebuilder's Avatar
      LD Count
      6͈͇&#
      I used to put this same technique to good use, I got lucid 4 nights in a row with it, but then it just stopped working.

LD Count
      Sorry, but the user is in another castle!
      DJ Entries
      I'm trying this Arch. REALLY hoping for my first lucid. Don't fail me now!
      Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
      -Edgar Allan Poe

Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      England
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
      I'm trying this Arch. REALLY hoping for my first lucid. Don't fail me now!
      Haha, you will!

Quote Originally Posted by Frobthebuilder View Post
      I used to put this same technique to good use, I got lucid 4 nights in a row with it, but then it just stopped working.
      I don't see why it would stop working, although I think the main objective of this technique is to put in more effort than usual, the WBTB MILD really does work a treat though.
      Last edited by Arch; 11-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Lurker
      DJ Entries
      I'm definitely going to try this one tonight.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      No luck last night. Probably because I was only asleep for 5 hours. But I feel fine!

I'll try again tonight, and hopefully get to sleep sooner. Wish me luck!
      Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
      -Edgar Allan Poe

England
      DJ Entries
      No luck last night. Probably because I was only asleep for 5 hours. But I feel fine!

I'll try again tonight, and hopefully get to sleep sooner. Wish me luck!
      Good luck! That is probably why, you need to be in REM for the WBTB MILD to work!

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      20+
      DJ Entries
      great advice, thanx
      LD GOAL LIST

1) Re-live the D-day landings like in the opening scene in 'Saving Private Ryan'. Arrive by landing boat, storm the beach, kill me some Nazis.
      2) A prolonged flying experience through beautiful landscape/scenery
      3) Have a 'nice' time with Chery Cole and Nicole Schwerzinger

JP
      REALITY CHECK! Achievements:
      Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class

LD Count
      Not Enough
      California
      Thanks a bunch for this, I've fallen out of my lucid dreaming loop and haven't had one in what seems like months. This has definitely helped me to get back into the groove of things, I will be referring to your guide on a daily basis. Thanks.

England
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
      Thanks a bunch for this, I've fallen out of my lucid dreaming loop and haven't had one in what seems like months. This has definitely helped me to get back into the groove of things, I will be referring to your guide on a daily basis. Thanks.
      No problem, it is a great dry spell destroyer!

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Hmm... Still no luck. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been following all the steps. My dream recall has improved greatly, but nothing besides that.
      -Edgar Allan Poe

Ex-Redhat
      DJ Entries
      Very nice tutorial Arch...I strongly agree that people need to give good effort for AT LEAST a few weeks, if not longer....especially for MILD. But really, if you want to learn any other skill or art in life, you have to put in more than a week of effort before you get to see a lot of progress. It just takes patience and practice.

England
      DJ Entries
      Yeah I would say afew weeks is a bare minimum if you want good results, I mean if you want amazing results we are taking a year for most people, it takes along time but it's something which takes place away from our major lifestyle.

This is an excellent guide. When I was having loads of lucid dreams I was doing a routine very much like this one every day. It becomes incredibly exciting once you start to get good at it - bed time is something to look forward too, waking up is great because you know you can go right back into some lucid dreams. Since I'm on a great dry spell myself I'm going to try and follow your routine to get back into it. I'd also like to reinforce what was said about visualization, its very important.

LD Count
      Scotland
      This was really useful, thanks! I'm going to stick to this technique for the next few weeks now. I've been LDing since August last year, but didn't see any successes until early 2011! Then I guess I just forgot about it all together and lost it. This should (hopefully) get me back on track. I'll post my results later on!

England
      DJ Entries
      Loving the feedback, keep it up I'd like to get some testimonials up!

LD Count
      Ikebukuro
      I really hope you lead me in the right path with this one. I'm more motivated then ever to have some lucid dreams. This could be like a Christmas present my subconscious could give to me thanks to you(hopefully) lol

Banned
      North Rhine Westphalia
      Hey, this kinda made me laugh: "go to the toilet if you want and have a drink." Sounds like we should drink out of the toilet to Lucid Dream! I would do it.
      kidcrow and Woodstock like this.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      I'd taken a break from attempting a LD, but I'm going for it again. I'm really going to try my hardest for my first lucid. Wish me lots of luck everybody! I need it!
      -Edgar Allan Poe

LD Count
      Multiverse constuct 7.3 x 10^317, Virgo Supercluster, Local Cluster,Milky Way Glxy, Sol system,Earth
      DJ Entries
      You know, the thing about caffeine you mentioned I think is very! true. Since I was having final exams this week I was having a cup of coffee at like 8:00 to help me keep studying until like 12AM. Then, the next day I would have almost no recall ( but the fact that I didn't get much sleep and was under stress was probably a large factor as well.)

I have had little success a lds in the past few months with school. But now I am headed home for christmas for about a month. Surely, lots of amazing and profound lucid dreams are near!

"My body may be bound by gravity, but my imagination knows no limits." -Me
      -start date: 3/31/10, current LD count: 131
      Goals: [X] successfully stabalize a LD, explore dream world, and learn to fly
      [ ] Discover the source of consciousness, find my spirit guide, experience absolute cosmic unity

England
      DJ Entries
      I'd taken a break from attempting a LD, but I'm going for it again. I'm really going to try my hardest for my first lucid. Wish me lots of luck everybody! I need it!
      Good luck!

@Matrix, yeah no joke if I drink a glass of pepsi before bed (or anything caffeinated) good bye recall. My recall is usually really good and clear so it's an obvious difference.
      Last edited by Arch; 02-06-2012 at 07:47 PM.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Been to lazy try this, hoping I would get a DEILD and have my first lucid but after a few weeks of no luck, I am going to try this. Going to set my alarm for 5 hours after I fall asleep and then do a mild.

England
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
      Been to lazy try this, hoping I would get a DEILD and have my first lucid but after a few weeks of no luck, I am going to try this. Going to set my alarm for 5 hours after I fall asleep and then do a mild.
      Yeah it does take quite abit of effort, which is why usually attempt a WILD and if I fail (usually) it pretty much works the same as this guide. 5 hours should be fine, try 4.5 hours or 6 hours if that doesnt work.

Keep at it