• 1 Post By Chimpertainment
    • 1 Post By Ekyu
    • 1 Post By Tucane
    • 1 Post By Sivason
    • 1 Post By dms111
    • 1 Post By <s><span class='glow_0000FF'>MasterMind</span></s>
    • 2 Post By Tucane
    • 1 Post By Robot_Butler

Thread: You Can Not Test S.P. Do not Even Try!

Administrator Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Stickie King Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze
      LD Count
      2500ish
      Idaho
      DJ Entries

You Can Not Test S.P. Do not Even Try!

HI or HH hypnogogic images or hyponogogic hallucinations are the things you experience while trying to pull off a WILD, like sounds and vibrations. They often happen about the same time as SP, but are not related.

SP does not mean you can not move (unless you have a rare sleep disorder), it is just a state that happens in sleep. It is a chemical effect your brain creates that makes you less likely to act out your dreams. Because you stay aware while your body falls asleep, in WILD attempts, you can actually feel when the chemicals release, if you know what to look for. It is used as a marker for how close you are getting to a dream state. However, SP does not keep you from moving using your concious will, so you can never test SP. If I am in SP, I get a sedated narcotic feeling and moving would take effort and intent, but I can break the SP in a second if I need to move. The problem is when beginers want proof they reached SP, so they try to move, and disrupt their WILD attempt.
      MasterMind, zoth00, ADEzor and 5 others like this.
      Peace Be With You. Oh, and sure, The Force too, why not.

"Instruction in Dream Yoga"

Banned
      Usually I can open my eyes during SP without disturbing the process. As long as I remain very still and calm, everything usually goes well.
      Sivason likes this.

InSaNiTy Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Behind you
      DJ Entries
      Great thread sivason! When i'm in SP, i always have a feeling that i can move, but i never really gave it a shot. Don't really understand why people do it. When your in SP, you just know it, or maybe that's just me? In all honesty, you shouldn't even think about being in SP, just go with the flow! Most people get way to excited anyway. There is a reason why some people say that when you move a finger, you will break out of SP. Probably quite a common mistake that some people make when they do a wild.
      Sivason likes this.

All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.

It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.

LD Count
      Really?
      Somewhere else...
      Nice to have this out there for new people to read.

I would stretch it even further; don't even think about SP. Anything that requires thinking outside of the anchor used, is a waste of time and progress.

Greetings, Tucane
      Sivason likes this.
      --------------------------------------------------------------|
      Master WILD[x] Master Dream Control[o] Full Recall [o]

Of all things imaginable, the least seem to be the hardest...

1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Stickie King Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze
      LD Count
      2500ish
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Chimpertainment View Post
      Usually I can open my eyes during SP without disturbing the process. As long as I remain very still and calm, everything usually goes well.
      Small motions like you mention, can be done if it is done calmly and you have the correct mental state, but it is only if you really must. I can very very slowly move to scratch and barely disrupt the process, but for some one trying to learn, I think they should not try it. If reaching SP has become easy, and you know what you are doing, then as you say, staying very still and calm, can make it possable to move a tiny bit and not hurt your WILD attempt. The thought process that goes into tryying to test it is no ggod though.
      Chimpertainment likes this.

LD Count
      2500ish
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Ekyu View Post
      Great thread sivason! When i'm in SP, i always have a feeling that i can move, but i never really gave it a shot. Don't really understand why people do it. When your in SP, you just know it, or maybe that's just me? In all honesty, you shouldn't even think about being in SP, just go with the flow! Most people get way to excited anyway. There is a reason why some people say that when you move a finger, you will break out of SP. Probably quite a common mistake that some people make when they do a wild.
      Same with me, I can feel something and just know I have reached the SP state. Even moving a finger, if done wrong can break the SP process and hurt the chance of pulling off the WILD.

LD Count
      2500ish
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
      Nice to have this out there for new people to read.

I would stretch it even further; don't even think about SP. Anything that requires thinking outside of the anchor used, is a waste of time and progress.

Greetings, Tucane
      I agree. Other than remembering not to fuss and move around when it starts, thinking about it hurts the whole process.

LD Count
      avg. 1 per week
      Quote Originally Posted by sivason View Post
      Because you stay aware while your body falls asleep, in WILD attempts, you can actually feel when the chemicals release, if you know what to look for. It is used as a marker for how close you are getting to a dream state.
      It's interesting that you mention the feeling of chemicals being released. Have you ever had minor surgery that requires chemical anesthesia? I've been put under anesthesia a couple times and it bares a striking resemblance to the feeling of sleep paralysis I get during my WILDs. I felt vibrations that I attributed to simply feeling the chemical pulsing through my veins. After a short while the vibrations stopped and I started to lose feeling in my body and felt like I was being sucked backwards into a void. I could still move if I tried hard enough but was overcome with a lethargic feeling so strong that movement just felt impossible.
      Sivason likes this.

LD Count
      2500ish
      Idaho
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by dms111 View Post
      It's interesting that you mention the feeling of chemicals being released. Have you ever had minor surgery that requires chemical anesthesia? I've been put under anesthesia a couple times and it bares a striking resemblance to the feeling of sleep paralysis I get during my WILDs. I felt vibrations that I attributed to simply feeling the chemical pulsing through my veins. After a short while the vibrations stopped and I started to lose feeling in my body and felt like I was being sucked backwards into a void. I could still move if I tried hard enough but was overcome with a lethargic feeling so strong that movement just felt impossible.
      I have been under anesthesia, and yes, it does feel a lot like SP.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

This night I did a reality checked and then scratched my itchy nose, then as I went to sleep I transitioned to the dream in seconds even though I moved there I was. Timed perfectly the process is even automatic. Which is also why "SP" doesn't have to be tested, if it doesn't happens it doesn't.
      Tucane likes this.

Birmingham
      DJ Entries
      I used to try to move when I was even newer at this than I am now. Although I do seem to constantly disrupt WILD attempts with moving, now it's usually just an itch so overwhelming that I'm willing to stop the process altogether to scratch it. I have terrible dedication to WILDing, ha!

LD Count
      Really?
      Somewhere else...
      It's always better not to move.

Now to the important part; it's way better to instantly scratch an itch, than waiting for it to stop or anything of the like. Any thought you give that itch might disrupt your process. The same goes for thinking about scratching it, while scratching.

The solution: Scratch the itch instantly, while sticking to your anchor. Do not think about anything else. Scratch it without tensing up your arm; it's like you throw your arm to the itch and then back into position.

Greetings, Tucane
      MasterMind and skiiddo like this.
      --------------------------------------------------------------|
      Master WILD[x] Master Dream Control[o] Full Recall [o]

Of all things imaginable, the least seem to be the hardest...

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Norway
      DJ Entries
      oh. as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I wondered why breaking out of SP was surprisingly easy for me. So this is why! But one thing though... I did feel that numbness though, I mean... I couldn't move in the first try... but the second attempt (during the same second... i think) was succesfull.

EDIT: So if things go haywire, you really can get out of SP via snap of the fingers? (damn, i don't know how to snap my fingers)
      Last edited by ADEzor; 08-30-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added EDIT:
      Don't you just hate it when sentences don't end like you expected them to octopus.

Tumblr users ahoy! clickety click http://adezor.tumblr.com

LD Count
      avg. 1 per week
      Quote Originally Posted by sivason View Post
      I have been under anesthesia, and yes, it does feel a lot like SP.
      So do you think this might be why vibrations are such a common hallucination? Because it's not a hallucination at all and we are actually feeling some chemical pulsing through us? This has been my belief.

InSaNiTy Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Behind you
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by dms111 View Post
      So do you think this might be why vibrations are such a common hallucination? Because it's not a hallucination at all and we are actually feeling some chemical pulsing through us? This has been my belief.
      I always thought it was the chemical pulsing aswell. When my arm is "sleeping", i always feel vibrations in it aswell. And you can actually induce those vibrations when your awake, they are just not that heavy compared to SP.
      Last edited by Ekyu; 08-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.

All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.

It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.

LD Count
      Tons
      Bay Area, California
      DJ Entries
      I think small movements are the best way to break sleep paralysis. I've always heard it recommended to wiggle your toes or fingers if you want to get out of paralysis. Definitely don't test it by moving "just a little bit."

Moving your whole body, or thrashing around can lead to an OBE type exit. When I find myself in spontaneous SP, I can transfer to a lucid dream by trying to roll my whole body off the bed.

I think focusing on a small part of your body will bring your attention to your real body, and break the paralysis. Focusing on a big movement will put the emphasis back on your spatial awareness, which is independent of your body.
      Last edited by Robot_Butler; 08-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
      Tucane likes this.