Like Tree10Likes
    • 6 Post By littlezoe
    • 1 Post By Ctharlhie
    • 1 Post By GuitarShot100
    • 1 Post By Sageous
    • 1 Post By littlezoe

Thread: Close Your Eyes [stabilization, creation method]

I am a Shade Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points 1 year registered Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries

Close Your Eyes [stabilization, creation method]

Warning: This 'technique' requires some DEILD knowledge!

So hey everyone

Most people are against the idea of closing your eyes during a lucid dream, because it wakes you up... well, if you are conscious enough about what you are doing, then it can even help you, instead of waking you up.

In my latest lucids i found out a new method for stabilization and creation of things. Maybe this is known already, but i couldn't really find a thread that detailed it well enough.

Do you know how to get back into a dream with DEILD? Well if not: In short, once the dream collapsed, you start focusing back on the dream that you were in and soon you'll find yourself back in. It works easily for me, but some people have problems with this.
      For this technique you might need a bit of practise of DEILD.

What do you need to do? In steps:

1. Close your dream eyes once the dream starts to get unstable/you want to create something.
      2. Once all you see is black, focus on the dream itself and/or imagine the thing you want to create.
      3. Don't open your eyes!
      4. Soon your vision will return (it takes around 5 seconds for me) and you are back where you were before, but most probably with a more stable version of the dream and/or with the thing you wanted to create.
      5. Have fun!

As far as i noticed, this method works well if you want to create things that are bigger than something that you can pull from outside of your vision range, or just things that you have trouble with to create.
      It also works well when the dream is about to get unstable, because you recreate the same environment (or a different one if you'd like, but then focus on that), but in a more stable form.

I would be glad if some others would try and test this for me themselves, because based only on my own experiences, i can't say for sure that it works for anyone
      Last edited by littlezoe; 07-17-2012 at 01:12 PM.
      Crashyy, dutchraptor, CJC and 3 others like this.
      I realize that i'm dreaming.

<--- My Dream Journal Contains ONLY Lucid Dreams

LD Count
      I used this "teleport" out of where I was in the dream (my house) and failed hard

Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points 1 year registered Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Tenant View Post
      I used this "teleport" out of where I was in the dream (my house) and failed hard
      What happened exactly?

LD Count
      I went to the kitchen, closed my eyes and imagined I was standing down a sidewalk in New York. I focused as hard as I could, expecting my eyes to open by themselves again when it was ready, but nothing happened. So I went to my room and tried to go into another dream by "sleeping" (like in Inception, but I know I'm just changing the scene) and that didn't work either. Heck, a lot of things I tried didn't work! I'll blame my inexperience for now, I'll try again in the next dream.

LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Tenant View Post
      I went to the kitchen, closed my eyes and imagined I was standing down a sidewalk in New York. I focused as hard as I could, expecting my eyes to open by themselves again when it was ready, but nothing happened. So I went to my room and tried to go into another dream by "sleeping" (like in Inception, but I know I'm just changing the scene) and that didn't work either. Heck, a lot of things I tried didn't work! I'll blame my inexperience for now, I'll try again in the next dream.
      Well.. i don't understand something... you say you closed your eyes and imagined that you are on a sidewalk in New York, but then in the next sentence you say that nothing happened... How were you able to go back to your room if nothing happened? Your vision must've returned if you were able to move on in the dream... i guess you didn't just go blindly...

To me it seems like you were able to recreate the same environment you were in before, but not a different one as you wanted to...
      Personally i didn't try this technique yet to change the scenery, but i don't see why wouldn't that work. So i can't comment much on changing the scenery itself, but i'll try it next time as well.

Also, don't expect your eyes to open while you are focusing. They don't need to open! Your vision will just return without any eye opening.

LD Count
      "nothing happened"= I was still in my house in the kitchen, nothing changed.

WDr
      WaterDreamer Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      I don't know
      Earth, most of the time
      I really don't dare closing my eyes in Lucids, as the action tend to wake me up immediately (or maybe it's FA, but I'm not good at recognizing it )

LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by WDr View Post
      I really don't dare closing my eyes in Lucids, as the action tend to wake me up immediately (or maybe it's FA, but I'm not good at recognizing it )
      Yeah, most people fear it. But if you think of it differently, not like a way of waking you up, then you could even use this for the better good

So if I understand this correctly, you use the most basic dream chaining technique (sitting still with your eyes closed after you wake up) to create a new dream identical to your old one?
      This would be a good replacement for stabilization techniques, but still hard to master.

LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Rsandee View Post
      So if I understand this correctly, you use the most basic dream chaining technique (sitting still with your eyes closed after you wake up) to create a new dream identical to your old one?
      This would be a good replacement for stabilization techniques, but still hard to master.
      It works the same way as a DEILD, but i suspect you don't truly wake up during these CYE moments. At least it's really hard to tell...
      It uses the same advantage of the darkness in front of you to create a new/more stabilized environment even with something you wanted to create

I asked for some volunteers to try this themselves, especially because i can't tell how hard this might be, since i'm the only one doing it. Tenant tried it as well, but he expected his eyes to open, which is not good... so he didn't do it perfectly.

Lucid Elder God Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      non-Euclidean
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by WDr View Post
      If that's your expectation then it will happen.

Probably if all the forum literature said closing your eyes is a great way to create a new dream scene then it would be for anyone who tried it.
      Last edited by Ctharlhie; 07-22-2012 at 10:10 PM.
      littlezoe likes this.
      My Lucid Dreaming Articles/Tutorials:
      Mindfulness - An Alternative Approach to ADA
      Intent in Lucid Dreaming; Break that Dry-Spell, Escape the Technique Rut

Always, no sometimes think it's me,
      But you know I know when it's a dream
      I think I know I mean a yes
      But it's all wrong
      That is I think I disagree

-John Lennon

Just a Dreamer Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      150+
      Brazil
      DJ Entries
      This is the best stabilization method I ever seen, I always had problems with stability, I had already used all the stabilization techniques that I could find but they only increased the vividness for me, but that was the only one that truly worked, I for the first time had a dream completely stable. Thank you very much littlezoe
      I still didn't tried to create nothing using this technique but I totally will
      littlezoe likes this.

high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      LittleZoe:

I'm not sure if I should share, but I've been practicing this technique for decades -- all five steps, just as you posted-- and it's been a real asset! It is most useful for "jumping" REM, and enabling a dream scenario to continue for hours, but it also helps to keep my sleeping body at bay when I'm in a high-end LD and I don't want it to end.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope folks pay attention to you ... This one's a winner!
      littlezoe likes this.

LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by GuitarShot100 View Post
      This is the best stabilization method I ever seen, I always had problems with stability, I had already used all the stabilization techniques that I could find but they only increased the vividness for me, but that was the only one that truly worked, I for the first time had a dream completely stable. Thank you very much littlezoe
      I still didn't tried to create nothing using this technique but I totally will
      I'm glad it worked for you ^^ I'll be glad to hear back about it once you succeed with creating something using this method

Quote Originally Posted by Sageous View Post
      LittleZoe:

I'm not sure if I should share, but I've been practicing this technique for decades -- all five steps, just as you posted-- and it's been a real asset! It is most useful for "jumping" REM, and enabling a dream scenario to continue for hours, but it also helps to keep my sleeping body at bay when I'm in a high-end LD and I don't want it to end.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope folks pay attention to you ... This one's a winner!
      I guessed so that it's known for some people, but i didn't see it mentioned anywhere on the forum as most people fear even just the thought of closing your eyes
      I'm glad you use this as well. I only found out about it some weeks ago, but it worked pretty reliably so far.

I think most people fail the eye closing thing at the moment where they feel like they should open their eyes after they closed it. Since you are in the dream, you don't really have eyes there, so your vision can simply return with closed eyes, without any eye opening. This is kinda simple, but overlooked by most.
      Sageous likes this.

EXTERMINATE Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Illinois
      DJ Entries
      What is the difference between vividity and stability?
      If it is like my second dream this morning then I understand. I kept closing my eyes and waking up when walking through walls, then re-entering the dream shortly after going through. It was kind of like the CYE, but unintentional.
      The dream seemed vivid to the point where I could feel temperature, and see things quite well, but it didn't seem stable. I kept waking up..
      I have become quite interested on the layers of lucidity, and I use them to measure how lucid a dream is. For more information on these layers, click here.

LD Count
      Average 2/Week
      In your dreams
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by TehDalek View Post
      What is the difference between vividity and stability?
      Well, a dream can be stable, but blurry/non-vivid. It can also be unstable, but vivid... simply put xD

As for me, i count vividity as how i feel my environment, how i see things, ect... if it's clear and realistic, then i count the dream pretty vivid.
      Stability for me is judged by how often the dream tries to collapse on me.

Quote Originally Posted by TehDalek View Post
      If it is like my second dream this morning then I understand. I kept closing my eyes and waking up when walking through walls, then re-entering the dream shortly after going through. It was kind of like the CYE, but unintentional.
      Well, that sounds more like DEILD what you just did As in CYE you don't really wake up, your vision just gets black as you close your eyes. But since this technique is based on DEILD, it's definitely similar.

P.S: Daleks are mean

LD Count
      I tried this and it worked! I decided that I wanted to be flying over New York. So I closed my eyes and concentrated on it, mostly what I thought it sounded like. Then I feel a wind a blowin'. I didn't want to open my dream eyes because I thought that maybe my real eyes would open up. So I did it slowly. (it gets fuzzy) I think what happened is it looked like a NY that a child had drawn with crayon.