• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Results 26 to 50 of 50
    Like Tree43Likes

    Thread: Scientists prove existence of sixth sense as form of telepathy

    1. #26
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      I can't work out if you're flat-out lying or if you seriously still haven't read the article in your own first post beyond its title.

    2. #27
      Dreaming the other way. MrOMGWTF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      LD Count
      Quite a few
      Gender
      Location
      Netherlands
      Posts
      170
      Likes
      45
      DJ Entries
      1
      Let's get this straight.


      SCIENTISTS claim they have found a 'sixth sense' which can detect light without the use of sight
      They implanted detectors for invisible infrared light into the part of rats’ brains that control tactile feeling.
      ^ It doesn't make sense.

      Their "sixth sense" is artificial. Without the mechanical detector, their sense WOULDN'T EXIST.
      Even if that sixth sense was real, it has nothing to do with telepathy.

    3. #28
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      I'm lying?? on what? and i did read the article, it's about an existence of sixth sense which is on my post and it read and spoke about telepathy.
      If you are here to ruin my thread then it's best to move on, i didn't post this to say that I have evidence, i posted this to say that a "scientist" proved something. If you want paper as poof go ask the scientist not me. Go and debate somewhere else that likes your kind of debate.
      Yet AGAIN, i am not mad at people here i just said lastly that i am mad at this article and why scientist say they prove something and keep the evidence.
      But if you think i am mad at people here, then you are out of it really.

    4. #29
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Look, nobody has any idea what you're talking about. Scientists have electronically connected the brains of two mice, and shown that they can learn to communicate using the connection. What do you have such an issue with here? In what sense have these scientists "proved something and kept the evidence"?

    5. #30
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Quote Originally Posted by Photolysis View Post
      The scientific paper actually remotely supporting the claim you made would be a good start.
      What claim did i make?
      I just posted the link and story. Go ask the scientist. Oh sorry they left you high and dry, making you doubt it, which that's what they want.
      They aren't going to give you evidence when it's critical to their jobs and discoveries within their jobs. They want mula.

    6. #31
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082

    7. #32
      Previously Pensive Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Patrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,777
      Likes
      840
      Well despite this thread not having much merit, it does remind me of a monologue from a certain J. Cavil...

      " I saw a star explode and send out the building blocks of the universe, other stars, other planets, and eventually other life, a supernova, creation itself. I was there. I wanted to see it, and be part of the moment. And you know how I perceived one of the most glorious events in the universe? With these ridiculous gelatinous orbs in my skull. With eyes designed to perceive only a tiny fraction of the EM spectrum, with ears designed only to hear vibrations in the air.

      ...

      I donít want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I canít even express these things properly, because I have to ó I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. Iím a machine, and I can know much more, I could experience so much more, but Iím trapped in this absurd body. And why? Because my five creators thought that God wanted it that way."

      And for heaven's sake I'm not trying to make any kind of point at all, it's just a neat monologue.
      Last edited by Patrick; 03-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
      Alyzarin likes this.

    8. #33
      Dreaming the other way. MrOMGWTF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      LD Count
      Quite a few
      Gender
      Location
      Netherlands
      Posts
      170
      Likes
      45
      DJ Entries
      1

    9. #34
      ~Fantasizer~ <s><span class='glow_FF1493'>Alyzarin</span></s>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Gender
      Location
      Out of Body
      Posts
      3,152
      Likes
      6873
      DJ Entries
      161
      This whole experiment is actually really cool, I think it's pretty awesome what they've done. As long as they take it in the right direction, I can only imagine what else they might achieve from this.... Thanks for posting that.

      That being said, yeah, this has absolutely nothing to do with telepathy. :T It's a great technological advancement, but it doesn't prove the existence of anything. I really hope that these views don't spread, because they're just going to drown out what it actually is, which is something pretty great in its own right.
      hathor28 likes this.

    10. #35
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      I'm sorry, Hathor, but you simply misunderstood the article.

      Have you heard about robotic prosthetic limbs? They can be controlled by the wearer, by surgically implanting transmitters into the brain, which power the limbs.



      We also now have the technology to control drones and other radio-controlled machines using our brainwaves:


      In the above cases, scientists have created the technology for humans to control machines with their minds. They haven't discovered an innate ability that humans have, to control machines with their minds.

      The 'discovery' (or rather, 'breakthrough') you posted is the same thing, except they have implanted the technology that allows the rat brains to 'feel' light. That's all. They haven't discovered that rats have telepathy. They have engineered a way for them to have it.

      It's still an awesome breakthrough, but please don't get your ideas crossed.

      [Edit:]
      By the way, it's really not your fault, as the article itself seemed to completely blow the idea out of proportion. This one is a little more informative:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/ne...l-for-infrared
      [/Edit]
      Last edited by Oneironaut Zero; 03-04-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typos
      Alyzarin and melanieb like this.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    11. #36
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      Ya, you don't know how science works. It doesn't need to be a 'material phenomenon'. It just needs to be observable, which is an extremely reasonable request to make of a claim.
      Oh I didn't know that you are claiming there is an immaterial reality that is observable by science. That is exciting!
      Are you sure?

    12. #37
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      I don't know what a precise definition of 'immaterial' would be, and I doubt you could give one, either. Are wavefunctions 'material'? Is the relativity of physics 'material'? Are lucid dreams 'material'? Anyway, the fact is that science is simply about observation. Telepathy by any normal definition, if true, is observable. You can observe that two people have communicated telepathically. So yes, it's in the domain of science.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.

    13. #38
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      You tell me: are dreams material? Relativity is a relationship between material things. Can science observe awareness? Or only perception (which is material)? energy is material, waves of energy are material. Can anything immaterial be observed? Name ONE THING immaterial that can be observed. Can anything immaterial have an effect on the material world? I don't know what you guys are arguing with me for, I am basically saying the same thing you are. That science has not observed telepathy! Basically because for telepathy to be a material phenomenon it would have to be transmitted through some kind of field or vibration, and of course there has been no observation of a vibration traveling through a field from one brain to another, I am assuming. I think the electromagnetic field of the hearts interact though. But of course the heart doesn't think if thought is a material phenomena.

      But basically that article was all full of shit. There are way more than 5 senses. We have the sense of balance, the sense of hunger, the sense of thirst, to name a few. These are actually considered separate senses. And so we have all these sense streams coming in to the brain, and the brain takes these sense stream data and converts it into an experience of a separate self living in the world based on what the brain 'thinks' is out there based on this data. This holographic experience in the brain should be a seamless whole, but for some reason it is split into a subject and an object for most people. This is an optical illusion of consciousness. This optical illusion is all centered around thoughts and conditioning. We are not born with this split. It is argued that we need this split to function in the world, but that is not true. Oh.. wait I am going off topic here...

      Of course there is a lot of common subjective experiences that science probably has never observed. Like awareness! Like thoughts! Like feelings! Etc. Of course science has observed brainwaves, brain chemistry etc... and that is great. So we know that there is a connection between certain brainwave frequencies and amplitudes and certain states of mind. How interesting. And of course the brain chemistry and psychiatry is very interesting and useful.
      Last edited by Dannon Oneironaut; 03-05-2013 at 12:51 AM.

    14. #39
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Quote Originally Posted by Dannon Oneironaut View Post
      I am basically saying the same thing you are. That science has not observed telepathy!
      No you weren't, you were saying that science couldn't observe telepathy.

      How are you defining telepathy?

      Name ONE THING immaterial that can be observed.
      If something can't be observed then by definition it's meaningless. If something existing has the same impact on your senses as it not existing, why would you ever think it's there? Your definition of immaterial appears to be the same thing as "non existent".

      Basically because for telepathy to be a material phenomenon it would have to be transmitted through some kind of field or vibration, and of course there has been no observation of a vibration traveling through a field from one brain to another, I am assuming. I think the electromagnetic field of the hearts interact though. But of course the heart doesn't think if thought is a material phenomena.
      What does this have to do with anything? You don't need to observe the mechanism for telepathy to observe telepathy. Science does not require a 'material phenomenon' to establish something as scientific truth, we've just been through this. It just needs to observe two people engaged in telepathy.
      Last edited by Xei; 03-05-2013 at 01:00 AM.

    15. #40
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      Well, I would say something that is immaterial is something that is not made out of any material, including energy. Even a field has a material cause. So yes, it would be veritably 'non-existent' as far as science is concerned. Such as awareness or love or possibly a thought. But nobody can deny awareness, yet people do get it mixed up with perceptions. It is bound to be mixed up with perceptions though, since that is how we know that we are aware. Descartes said "I think, therefor I am" but I would say that "I perceive, therefor I am." But of course perceptions are material. So that is why science cannot observe it, because it is 'non-existent' as far as science is concerned. Just like the soul. Science cannot observe the soul, it never will.
      Last edited by Dannon Oneironaut; 03-05-2013 at 03:04 AM.
      hathor28 likes this.

    16. #41
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Why would media and scientists even put the name telepathy in this article? And it's still deemed not part of telepathy at all from the experiment?
      (i should keep reminding myself not to read media ever again of such things and other things as well) It's either bullcrap or something is being hidden from us.
      ARRGGGG GGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
      Last edited by hathor28; 03-05-2013 at 10:08 AM.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.

    17. #42
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      The media is bullcrap in this story. Everything is a story. There is no "true explanation". For this story, the true explanation is they could possibly simulate telepathy in the future by implanting sensors in our brains and controlling it via a central broadcaster and control all of our minds. It isn't about natural telepathy.
      hathor28 likes this.

    18. #43
      It Was A Flood Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Phased's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      Who's Counting?
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      471
      Likes
      244
      DJ Entries
      11
      OZ, I must say that Brain Controlled UAV Was pretty amazing!
      Oneironaut Zero likes this.

    19. #44
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      362
      Likes
      122
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      Why would media and scientists even put the name telepathy in this article? And it's still deemed not part of telepathy at all from the experiment?
      (i should keep reminding myself not to read media ever again of such things and other things as well) It's either bullcrap or something is being hidden from us.
      Headlines are usually extreme exaggeration and misleading to get people to click through and see the ads/popups on the article page.

    20. #45
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      Do you know that certain scientists (the ego ones) want certain evidences kept confidential when it comes to awesome things like telepathy?
      Are you for real? "the ego ones?" Most brilliant scientists are ego ones, and that's precisely why they WILL reveal what they have. Nobel prize.


      Like come on, do you EVER think this? They don't want to reveal certain things because God knows what, it might be the most epic proof ever? But still kept things hidden, who knows if governments want these things to tested on us in various ways, like tv, internet, cell phones, mind chips.
      Don't you people ever think such things and things like these can be bought out for $$$$?
      So you make a ridiculous claim due partially to shoddy journalism, and partially to your own bad thinking, and when people point out the obvious problems with your claim, you respond with conspiracy theories. Classy.

    21. #46
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4023
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by Phased View Post
      OZ, I must say that Brain Controlled UAV Was pretty amazing!
      Yes, it was!
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    22. #47
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      Why would media and scientists even put the name telepathy in this article? And it's still deemed not part of telepathy at all from the experiment?
      Seriously, how much time do you spend formulating your opinions before you post them? You seriously think the scientists who performed the experiment co-wrote that article? You're living in a bizarre, paranoid world. The word 'telepathy' is in the article because the experiment was vaguely reminiscent of telepathy, and that's a buzzword which will attract viewers. It happens all the time in journalism; bending the truth to make something more interesting. It's not a bloody scientific conspiracy.

    23. #48
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Quote Originally Posted by Replicon View Post
      Are you for real? "the ego ones?" Most brilliant scientists are ego ones, and that's precisely why they WILL reveal what they have. Nobel prize.
      So you make a ridiculous claim due partially to shoddy journalism, and partially to your own bad thinking, and when people point out the obvious problems with your claim, you respond with conspiracy theories. Classy.
      What else of an excuse you got for shoddy journalism? Gimme something better, other than conspiracy theories.
      Not all scientists are egoistic. Please don't tell me it's because of shoddy journalists, that is a really lame answer because nowdays all journalists aren't doing good stories, and you know why, they are being controlled on what not to and how to make stories.
      I think it's best for anyone who thinks i am dumb, better back off now, and accept my last post about the article with the dead horses.
      Last edited by hathor28; 03-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.

    24. #49
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      What else of an excuse you got for shoddy journalism? Gimme something better, other than conspiracy theories.
      Not all scientists are egoistic. Please don't tell me it's because of shoddy journalists, that is a really lame answer because nowdays all journalists aren't doing good stories, and you know why, they are being controlled on what not to and how to make stories.
      I think it's best for anyone who thinks i am dumb, better back off now, and accept my last post about the article with the dead horses.
      I apologize if I came off saying you're dumb. "Bad thinking" doesn't mean "stupid person" - it's just a bad process.

      I'm not sure what you mean by the whole "what else of an excuse you got?" thing.

      You specifically said earlier, "Why would media and scientists even put the name telepathy in this article?"

      I don't recall a scientist putting the name "telepathy" into the article. That article was NOT written by a scientist. Very early in this thread, the "shoddy journalism" thing was covered, when Patrick pasted the abstract from the ACTUAL scientific paper, and explained how it had nothing to do with telepathy, and how scientists said nothing about telepathy in the paper.

      So yes, taking a basic scientific paper about how the brain reacts to signals that are artificially sent in, by making new and useful neural pathways, and construing it as "proof of telepathy" is bad journalism. I don't necessarily blame the specific journalist, though. The news company needs to sell its product, and the editors are usually responsible for twisting everything around like that.

      Please don't tell me it's because of shoddy journalists, that is a really lame answer
      Again, I have no idea what the question is. Is this the same question about an excuse for something? Excuse for what?

    25. #50
      ------------------ Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Raen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Posts
      298
      Likes
      176
      I really think this is a prime example of why you should try to validate your sources before posting new and astounding discoveries. It has happened to me before where I get really excited about something and forget to check how reliable what I have just read actually is and then I feel like an idiot for going along with it. Just forget the conspiracy theories for a moment and try to remove yourself from the situation and look at your posts from the perspective of another.

      At first, you claim that "Scientists prove existence of sixth sense as form of telepathy" because of the article that you read. Other people have tried to explain to you that the actual research paper involved engineering an artificial sense rather than actually discovering a "sixth sense" that naturally belongs to the rats but you just dismiss it as a conspiracy theory and the scientists are just trying to keep the existence of telepathy from us. Thinking logically about this, why would the scientists try to hide such a ground breaking discovery that could put them in the history books forever? Something even stranger to think about would be to ask yourself how the journalist of this article somehow knows the truth of the results from this experiment despite the fact that the scientists are hiding it from us? If you claim that they are one of the scientists who did the experiments that gave the alleged positive results for the existence of telepathy, why would they risk exposing the truth without being assigned any credit for the discovery?

      It's just important sometimes to remember that it is possible to be misinformed and "shoddy journalism" is definitely on the rise. Don't believe me?
      This is a video from MSN news/ITN classed as breaking news that was posted in the last 30 minutes:
      Ghosts haunt Japan&#39;s tsunami ravaged coast on MSN Video
      This video does not prove the existence of ghosts or show that exorcisms is real or anything like that, it's just a video to attract views. It isn't even a major news story.

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

    Similar Threads

    1. How to develop a 'Sixth Sense' in dreams?
      By Marlowe in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
    2. MIT/TED - The Sixth Sense; A Must See!
      By O'nus in forum Science & Mathematics
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 03-26-2009, 10:07 AM
    3. Science about to prove the existence of life outside of our planet?
      By Dreamhope11 in forum Extended Discussion
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
    4. The REAL Sixth Sense?
      By Oneironaut Zero in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 08-12-2005, 03:45 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •