• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 50
    Like Tree43Likes

    Thread: Scientists prove existence of sixth sense as form of telepathy

    1. #1
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255

      Scientists prove existence of sixth sense as form of telepathy

      SCIENTISTS claim they have found a 'sixth sense' which can detect light without the use of sight - and could even be a form of telepathy.

      They implanted detectors for invisible infrared light into the part of rats’ brains that control tactile feeling.

      When the light was shone, the animals responded by preening their whiskers, indicating that they thought they were being touched. They soon began to detect the source of the ‘contact’ and move towards the signal.

      The team at Duke University, North Carolina, said that – for the first time in adult animals – their other senses were not affected but simply augmented.

      Neurobiologist Miguel Nicolelis said: ‘We didn’t use the skin to deliver this signal ... the animal is feeling light, not seeing light. It’s very interesting.’

      He added the technology could one day be used to help the blind or to allow paralysed individuals to feel objects.

      Dr Nicolelis also claimed the concept had been extended to ‘brain-to-brain interface’ meaning the rats could carry out a form of telepathy.

      Scientists prove existence of sixth sense as form of telepathy | News.com.au
      BjStrife, JoannaB and Tiresias like this.

    2. #2
      It Was A Flood Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      Phased's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      Who's Counting?
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      471
      Likes
      244
      DJ Entries
      11
      This is awesome! - nice find also, very interesting :3

      Will be cool to see what comes from this on the lucid end of things.
      hathor28 likes this.

    3. #3
      Previously Pensive Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Patrick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2005
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      1,777
      Likes
      840
      This is an example of journalists completely misunderstanding a paper. Here is the abstract from the paper:

      "Sensory neuroprostheses show great potential for alleviating major sensory deficits. It is not known, however, whether such devices can augment the subject’s normal perceptual range. Here we show that adult rats can learn to perceive otherwise invisible infrared light through a neuroprosthesis that couples the output of a head-mounted infrared sensor to their somatosensory cortex (S1) via intracortical microstimulation. Rats readily learn to use this new information source, and generate active exploratory strategies to discriminate among infrared signals in their environment. S1 neurons in these infrared-perceiving rats respond to both whisker deflection and intracortical microstimulation, suggesting that the infrared representation does not displace the original tactile representation. Hence, sensory cortical prostheses, in addition to restoring normal neurological functions, may serve to expand natural perceptual capabilities in mammals."

      So actually they implanted an infra-red detecting device into the rat's sensory cortex, artificially inducing an ability to sense infra-red. This 'sense' wasn't there before. It's just an example of how plastic the brain can be.

    4. #4
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
      This is an example of journalists completely misunderstanding a paper. Here is the abstract from the paper:

      "Sensory neuroprostheses show great potential for alleviating major sensory deficits. It is not known, however, whether such devices can augment the subject’s normal perceptual range. Here we show that adult rats can learn to perceive otherwise invisible infrared light through a neuroprosthesis that couples the output of a head-mounted infrared sensor to their somatosensory cortex (S1) via intracortical microstimulation. Rats readily learn to use this new information source, and generate active exploratory strategies to discriminate among infrared signals in their environment. S1 neurons in these infrared-perceiving rats respond to both whisker deflection and intracortical microstimulation, suggesting that the infrared representation does not displace the original tactile representation. Hence, sensory cortical prostheses, in addition to restoring normal neurological functions, may serve to expand natural perceptual capabilities in mammals."

      So actually they implanted an infra-red detecting device into the rat's sensory cortex, artificially inducing an ability to sense infra-red. This 'sense' wasn't there before. It's just an example of how plastic the brain can be.
      So your saying we can't induce something from the mind without using a device? You are wrong, have you learned anything about induced lucid dreams?

    5. #5
      ├┼┼┼┼┤
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Gender
      Location
      Equestria
      Posts
      6,315
      Likes
      1190
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      So your saying we can't induce something from the mind without using a device? You are wrong, have you learned anything about induced lucid dreams?
      Hahahahahahahhahaahahah.
      Bansheet likes this.

      ---------
      Lost count of how many lucid dreams I've had
      ---------

    6. #6
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      So your saying we can't induce something from the mind without using a device? You are wrong, have you learned anything about induced lucid dreams?
      The burden of proof is on you. You've currently failed to provide any - this study has absolutely nothing to do with what you claim it does. Did you even read it? Any of it?
      Raen, Photolysis and Bansheet like this.

    7. #7
      Sleeping Dragon juroara's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2006
      Gender
      Location
      San Antonio, TX
      Posts
      3,865
      Likes
      1171
      DJ Entries
      144
      --having nothing to do with the original link above

      What about the actual third eye found in animals? Has anyone done any studies on it?

      Reptiles have an actual third eye which allows them to sense other frequencies of light that their normal eyes can't. On some snakes this third eye is fairly visible as a diamond shape scale on the center of their forehead. Just like the bindi in Hinduism. (probably not a coincidence)

      As far as common knowledge goes, humans do not have this actual third eye. But we have the gland thats associated with it, the pineal gland. In spiritual circles this gland is extremely important in opening your spiritual third eye.

      This makes me believe that there is a scientific correlation between our pineal gland and the experience of a third eye. In other words, when people claim to have a third eye experience they aren't just randomly hallucinating, they really are engaging in this pineal gland in some way.

      Anyways, its something to look into.

    8. #8
      Member Serclfs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Gender
      Posts
      39
      Likes
      11
      The leading hypothesis on where DMT is created in the body is the pineal gland. For those of you who don't know DMT is one of the most powerful psychedelic drugs and is suspected to be involved with dreaming. (From what I heard, could be wrong)
      JoannaB and hathor28 like this.
      There is no emotion...There is peace. There is no ignorance... There is knowledge. There is no passion... There is serenity. There is no chaos... There is harmony. There is no death... There is the force.
      "I give my life, not for honor but for you. In my time there'll be no one else..Crime, it's the way I fly to you, I'm still in a dream snake eater"
      We enter this world alone, and leave this world alone whatever happens in between is a gift

    9. #9
      Dreaming the other way. MrOMGWTF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      LD Count
      Quite a few
      Gender
      Location
      Netherlands
      Posts
      170
      Likes
      45
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      your saying
      No. Please no.

    10. #10
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Thanks for the likes, and those who want more proof from this link, then idk what to say. What else do you need to make you believe in it? I guess it would be a waste of time to even ask.

    11. #11
      Member Photolysis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,270
      Likes
      316
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      What else do you need to make you believe in it?
      The scientific paper actually remotely supporting the claim you made would be a good start.

    12. #12
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      Thanks for the likes, and those who want more proof from this link, then idk what to say. What else do you need to make you believe in it? I guess it would be a waste of time to even ask.
      Why is this always the standard response from those who provide shoddy evidence for their claims when people don't buy into it?
      Bansheet likes this.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    13. #13
      Dreamer Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      JoannaB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      2017:1, pre:13+
      Gender
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      3,024
      Likes
      2155
      DJ Entries
      449
      Btw, I liked both the original post and the rebuttal of the actual scientific paper. I liked the original post because I think it would be cool if it were so. I like the rebuttal containing the actual scientific paper because it is always good to learn what the actual study said, even if it were neat if it had said something different. Although personally I think what the research actually showed is really neat too: it's amazing what kind of research scientists nowadays do.
      Patrick likes this.

    14. #14
      DEATH TO FANATICS! StonedApe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      toledo,OH
      Posts
      2,269
      Likes
      415
      DJ Entries
      61
      There's another study that was done on humans where they tried to create a new sense. They used a belt that vibrated in the direction of north. They participants wore this for six weeks. Afterwords they had them navigate a shape blindfolded using their new sense. It seemed to work, but I don't really know much about the study.

      There's an episode of BBC's Horizon that shows it, it's at the end of the episode. It's on youtube, it's called seeing is believing or something like that.
      JoannaB likes this.
      157 is a prime number. The next prime is 163 and the previous prime is 151, which with 157 form a sexy prime triplet. Taking the arithmetic mean of those primes yields 157, thus it is a balanced prime.

      Women and rhythm section first - Jaco Pastorious

    15. #15
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Don't people ever think why we are opt out in evidence from scientists? Do you know that certain scientists (the ego ones) want certain evidences kept confidential when it comes to awesome things like telepathy? Like come on, do you EVER think this? They don't want to reveal certain things because God knows what, it might be the most epic proof ever? But still kept things hidden, who knows if governments want these things to tested on us in various ways, like tv, internet, cell phones, mind chips.
      Don't you people ever think such things and things like these can be bought out for $$$$?

      Don't people ever think why we are opt out in evidence from scientists? Do you know that certain scientists (the ego ones) want certain evidences kept confidential when it comes to awesome things like telepathy?
      Like come on, do you EVER think this? They don't want to reveal certain things because God knows what, it might be the most epic proof ever? But still kept things hidden, who knows if governments want these things to be tested on us in various ways, like tv, internet, cell phones, mind chips.
      Who knows i think personally governments now own scientists and media and all bullcrap, so they can build a business and probably get to know what the fuck you are thinking right now, remember big brother is watching you and probably know what you are thinking and you don't know it.
      Don't you people ever think such things and things like these can be bought out for $$$$? Yes question why this is deemed as proof when there isn't much and WHY did it make a story on the news, yes question THAT. But please do question why this is proof and scientists consider it so, why so hesitant when scientist just proved an existence? Is it because they are knowing something WE don't know and try and get away with it? i think so.
      Sorry i will just keep my own mind opened now while other peoples' are closed.
      Last edited by anderj101; 03-20-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Merged

    16. #16
      Dreaming the other way. MrOMGWTF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      LD Count
      Quite a few
      Gender
      Location
      Netherlands
      Posts
      170
      Likes
      45
      DJ Entries
      1
      The paper is about CREATING a new sense, not discovering one. Can't you just accept that?

    17. #17
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Location
      florida
      Posts
      362
      Likes
      122
      Uhm, they implanted electrodes into the rat's brains that stimulated areas of their brain that process touch information. Then said electrodes stimulated that area when an infrared sensor mounted on their heads picked up infrared light.

      Stimulating the brain based on the output of some sensor that the animal didn't previously have has nothing to do with the "sixth sense" you guys are rambling about.

      There is a difference between being able to learn to use new sensory input when it's added, and already having supposed input available, but not knowing about it. The former is what the scientists did, the latter is what mystics believe in with the "third eye" malarkey.

    18. #18
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Quote Originally Posted by MrOMGWTF View Post
      The paper is about CREATING a new sense, not discovering one. Can't you just accept that?
      It doesn't matter, creating/discovering, what ever,....you want the paper, the proof, etc, don't be mad with me, go ask the scientist that is working with governments and don't want YOU to know this paper/evidence.
      Question that. But don't question me or expect an answer, because something is up with scientists now and they are leaving you high and dry.
      Everyone focuses on the paper too much they don't even focus on why it's not being forwarded and revealed.

      Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken View Post
      Uhm, they implanted electrodes into the rat's brains that stimulated areas of their brain that process touch information. Then said electrodes stimulated that area when an infrared sensor mounted on their heads picked up infrared light.
      question where and on what they are going to use these implants next, after deeming proof of existence. what they do on rats will be next on us. don't think it won't, and i am being openly honest here, come on guys think! wake up.

      Please tell me wtf is this then Google Glass - Home
      Don't even tell me it has nothing to do with it because it is well close enough to your brain! eyes meet brain, yes?
      Then what's next? huh, tell me, because i am 100x more ahead of everyone who denies the hint i am trying to give you.
      Oh sure, ya, keep thinking i'm nuts until a device enters your brain without you even thinking it's plausible to even control you and what you think.
      $1,500 for this crap glasses? SEE what money they are getting, when i mean they, i mean corporations and governments, and we get jack shit back from them then a measly google glasses.
      But who knows, maybe governments want only authorities to read peoples minds using some device, but that doesn't mean we can't actually read minds, we can, but seems like authorities want us to think we do not, making us more vulnerable to our own selves, hell i don't want to be in that position!
      Last edited by anderj101; 03-20-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Merged

    19. #19
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      Hathor, folks, relax. There is enough room in this universe for more than one belief.
      This study points to the brain's ability to interpret new data that is inputted into it. For example: they mounted a little video camera onto some sunglasses and a little thing that converted the video data to auditory sounds that went to an ear-piece. A blind man puts it on and for a few days all he hears is static and meaningless sounds. But after a few days, the brain learns what the noise means , like learning a new language. The blind man can now "see". This is efficient in Nature. An animal can evolve a new sense or a heitened sense without having to evolve a new brain. A mole can "see" with his nose, and a fish can feel electromagnetic fields in the water, and dolphins and bats can use sonar. Imagine if we fastened an ultra-violet camera to the glasses? We can have more than 5 senses. But I have no idea where the journalist got the idea of telepathy (probably heard the words 'extra senses'). Not that I don't believe in telepathy, but these scientists are looking in the wrong place for telepathy.

      By the way, only a small amount of DMT and other tryptamines are made in the pineal gland. The pineal gland does have light receptors. Most of the tryptamines are made in the gut and don't cross the blood/brain barrier. But it is the stuff made in the pineal that reaches all the receptors in the brain. There is the serotonin system and the dopamine system in the brain that reflects our mood, state of consciousness, etc.

      But telepathy is not a brain phenomenon. In fact, the brain interferes with telepathy.
      hathor28 likes this.

    20. #20
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Yes don't believe in the journalist, question why it's a proven existence and why scientists are keeping it from us and not fully telling us. Yet i believe in telepathy very much, and refuse to have authority brush it aside and leave us with nothing and still say there is proven existence! This makes me mad.

    21. #21
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      This conspiracy theory of scientists keeping it from us is a belief. It may be true, it may be not, or both, or neither.
      But I am almost certain that scientists don't know anything about telepathy, because it is not a material phenomena.
      And neither is awareness. That is why it eludes science. Awareness and telepathy are not material or substantial.
      Do you want awareness and telepathy to be a material brain phenomena? Do you believe that it is a brain phenomenon?
      Then why do we think that scientists are an authority on awareness? What information would they have that you don't have
      that you would need? A lucid dreamer thinking that scientists are withholding secrets of awareness and the mind?
      The laboratory for investigating the mind is the mind itself, and lucid dreamers are the ones in that laboratory.

      Telepathy is more of a heart phenomena, but not the physical organ of the heart.
      And awareness! Find out what awareness is and you know the nature of the whole universe.
      hathor28 likes this.

    22. #22
      DEATH TO FANATICS! StonedApe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Gender
      Location
      toledo,OH
      Posts
      2,269
      Likes
      415
      DJ Entries
      61
      Quote Originally Posted by Dannon Oneironaut View Post
      This conspiracy theory of scientists keeping it from us is a belief. It may be true, it may be not, or both, or neither.
      But I am almost certain that scientists don't know anything about telepathy, because it is not a material phenomena.
      And neither is awareness. That is why it eludes science. Awareness and telepathy are not material or substantial.
      Do you want awareness and telepathy to be a material brain phenomena? Do you believe that it is a brain phenomenon?
      Then why do we think that scientists are an authority on awareness? What information would they have that you don't have
      that you would need? A lucid dreamer thinking that scientists are withholding secrets of awareness and the mind?
      The laboratory for investigating the mind is the mind itself, and lucid dreamers are the ones in that laboratory.

      Telepathy is more of a heart phenomena, but not the physical organ of the heart.
      And awareness! Find out what awareness is and you know the nature of the whole universe.
      Scientists know quite a bit about awareness. Check out that episode of BBC's Horizon I was talking about. It hasn't been studied enough, but it's being studied.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.
      157 is a prime number. The next prime is 163 and the previous prime is 151, which with 157 form a sexy prime triplet. Taking the arithmetic mean of those primes yields 157, thus it is a balanced prime.

      Women and rhythm section first - Jaco Pastorious

    23. #23
      Hungry Dannon Oneironaut's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Dreamtime, Bardos
      Posts
      2,288
      Likes
      808
      DJ Entries
      5
      Quote Originally Posted by StonedApe View Post
      Scientists know quite a bit about awareness.
      No they don't.

      All they know about is perception. They are confusing that with awareness.

    24. #24
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      hathor, you're simply lying now. The study you presented had nothing to do whatsoever with humans being telepathic. This is plain for everybody to see: you know it's true too. Why are you getting so angry at people who are just telling the truth?

      Quote Originally Posted by Dannon Oneironaut View Post
      But I am almost certain that scientists don't know anything about telepathy, because it is not a material phenomena.
      And neither is awareness. That is why it eludes science.
      Ya, you don't know how science works. It doesn't need to be a 'material phenomenon'. It just needs to be observable, which is an extremely reasonable request to make of a claim.

      Telepathy is the idea that two minds can exchange information without any interface. This is extremely easy to test, and the negative results are why it's not accepted as fact.

      If you have reason to believe the contrary, do your own rigorous study. If it works, publicise your data.
      Linkzelda likes this.

    25. #25
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      So you mean animals can form telepathy and humans can't? Ask yourself a question, why do we test on animals for? If no one knows the answer then, wow.

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. How to develop a 'Sixth Sense' in dreams?
      By Marlowe in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
    2. MIT/TED - The Sixth Sense; A Must See!
      By O'nus in forum Science & Mathematics
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 03-26-2009, 10:07 AM
    3. Science about to prove the existence of life outside of our planet?
      By Dreamhope11 in forum Extended Discussion
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM
    4. The REAL Sixth Sense?
      By Oneironaut Zero in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 08-12-2005, 03:45 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •