• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 175
    Like Tree45Likes

    Thread: Metaphysical Paradoxes

    1. #26
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      One problem with this is that assuming that the being remembered enough of its experiences causes it to have an infinite amount of information.
      ...

      So for these things to make sense, it seems necessary to assume that there can be an infinite amount of information about the universe.
      This is actually a pretty weak argument because we're pretty much assuming that there is an infinite amount of information about the universe to even be talking about an object that has been travelling forever.


      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      That is not true. Two is not a material object, but it is an amount that pertains to material objects and often is an amount of material objects. I know you are trying to make an imaginary numbers issue comeback, so I will tell you that what I said about two does not applyl to i.
      I'm not trying to bring the complex numbers back. I'm trying to convince you that what you're saying about two doesn't apply to two.

      If something exists within the rational materialist frame work and isn't a material object, then what is it?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    2. #27
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      If something exists within the rational materialist frame work and isn't a material object, then what is it?
      A measure of material objects. What is the difference between * and **?
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    3. #28
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Add your own or talk about those under discussion.

      To start off with, I have a couple of strange thoughts about infinity. I'm not sure how original they are.

      Firstly, a metaphysical problem: infinite lifespans. We don't have much trouble with the concept of immortals; they are born like us, and imagining what it would be like to be one is just a matter of extrapolating from our current life experience. But what about the other direction? What about an immortal being which, additionally, has always existed? Meeting and conversing with such a being seems plausible. But what about being that being? Intuitively it seems like it's 'impossible for its consciousness to ever reach this point in time'. Why is this so different from the classic conception of an immortal? What about objects in general? Could you encounter a rock which had existed forever? Or a clock??

      I think the asymmetry comes from giving the concept of time too much reality in an eternal place where an immortal could live. In such an eternal place, time is only artificially ascribed by and relative to observers. An immortal observer could ascribe time to events of the past to infinity, but I don't think saying it has lived infinitely long would be correct because that's like trying to use infinity as an objective amount of time in an eternal universe. The symmetry appears again when you see time only as a measurement of observers, the immortal could measure his memory in eternity to infinity.

      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Secondly, a moral problem: infinite beings. We think killing is immoral in what we presume to be a finite universe. But what if we discovered that the universe was infinite? Would it be moral to destroy a planet with life on it? If you did so, you would not have reduced the amount of life in the universe at all. This is not controversial; refer to the Hilbert's Hotel analogy if you're confused. You could just find another planet with life on it (in fact you could find an identical planet) and put it where the old one was, and then replace the new empty space with another planet, and so on with different planets forever, leaving you with exactly the same arrangement as before you destroyed the planet.?

      It depends on their relation to the whole; if they're about to attack a friendly, productive species out of greed, it would be morally sound to destroy them. If they are that friendly, productive species in cooperation with the well-being of the rest of the universe's civilizations, I couldn't believe nothing would be changed by dragging the replica to the same place, so I would call it immoral.

    4. #29
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      A measure of material objects. What is the difference between * and **?
      But what is this "measure of material objects" made out of?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    5. #30
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      But what is this "measure of material objects" made out of?
      electrical impulses?

    6. #31
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      So "two" is a set of electrical impulses. Does that mean that "two" only lasts as long as those electrical impulses or does it last longer?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    7. #32
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      I guess it lasts as long as any other conceptual entity in our mind.

    8. #33
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      So it lasts only as long as the electrical impulses that it's made out of.

      Is the "two" in my head the same as the "two" in yours?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    9. #34
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      Yes, we have similair enough faculties/experience and training.

    10. #35
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      But what is this "measure of material objects" made out of?
      It is not physical, so it is not made out of anything physical. It is made out of mathematical and other metaphysical principles. It is just intertwined with the physical. It is revealed in the physical, and the physical is rooted in it.

      Now please answer my question. What is the difference between * and **?
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    11. #36
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      It is not physical, so it is not made out of anything physical. It is made out of mathematical and other metaphysical principles. It is just intertwined with the physical. It is revealed in the physical, and the physical is rooted in it.
      So you have to step beyond the rational materialist model to claim that two is real. Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

      Now please answer my question. What is the difference between * and **?
      '*' occurs before the 'and' while '**' occurs after it.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    12. #37
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      So you have to step beyond the rational materialist model to claim that two is real. Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.
      Step beyond it? Not exactly. The rational materialist model is very much involved in the reality of two.

      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      '*' occurs before the 'and' while '**' occurs after it.
      That's cute. Now try answering the question in the context in which you know I asked it.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    13. #38
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      ...*?
      PhilosopherStoned likes this.

    14. #39
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Did you know Euclid wrote a ~200 page proof proving 1 + 1 = 2?

    15. #40
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      I've never heard that and I'm pretty certain it isn't true, the Greeks didn't look at maths like that.

      It was proven after a large number of pages of underlying work by Russell and Whitehead however, when they grounded arithmetic on logic and sets.

    16. #41
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Oh. Hey, I have that book.

    17. #42
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Phion View Post
      I believe the word you're looking for is atemporal. However, to coin the concept of eternity and infinity is to reference time itself, or an interval, bedding our relationship between something countable (like a set of ideas) and something intangible (like immortality). Where either facet can exist independently of time, but also relies on time to form the concept in the first place.
      It would perhaps involve another dimension or dimensions, but something existing without a beginning or end is eternal/infinite. Something existing the entirety of an infinite time line would be eternal, but I do not think that is a requirement.
      Dimensions themselves are countable, are they not?

    18. #43
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by Phion View Post
      Dimensions themselves are countable, are they not?
      Yes, but that doesn't mean there is an infinite number of them. I think the timelessness or "eternity" of 2 + 2 = 4 could involve infinity in a dimension that is not time but is somehow like time.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    19. #44
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Mathematically speaking, adding dimensions to equations is a fairly "trivial" exercise (n-dimensional manifolds or euclidean space) just not very easy to visualize.

    20. #45
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      don't know
      Gender
      Posts
      1,602
      Likes
      1144
      DJ Entries
      17
      If you want to you guys can argue about it in the thread I made just for that discussion http://www.dreamviews.com/f77/mathematics-123090/, could be interesting.

    21. #46
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer View Post
      Yes, we have similair enough faculties/experience and training.
      I missed this before.

      So the two in your head is the same as the two in mine. If "two" is a set of electrico-chemical phenomena in my head then this would, upon expanding the definition of "two", say "A set of electrical/chemical phenomena" in my head is the same as "a set of elecrical/chemical phenomena" in your head.

      Are you satisfied with this statement?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    22. #47
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      How many heads do the two of you have collectively?
      MadMonkey likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    23. #48
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Two. What's your point and will you make it?
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    24. #49
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      Until you show me a 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      How many heads do the two of you have collectively?
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      Two.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    25. #50
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      So what is this "two" that you claim to have shown me made out of? How would an electron behave in a collision with a two?

      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. 11 Paradoxes
      By Valmancer in forum Philosophy
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 12-07-2010, 12:24 PM
    2. Stretching when horney... is it metaphysical?
      By ethan_hines in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
    3. Paradoxes
      By [SomeGuy] in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 02-05-2008, 03:33 PM
    4. Underlying Metaphysical Realities
      By Jade010 in forum Dream Journal Archive
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
    5. Your Metaphysical Conception
      By the Alchemist in forum Philosophy
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 10-30-2005, 06:09 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •